Cory Lidle's Death

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

master skyler
What do you the Yankees will do from here? Personally I think the Yankees will be fine although I am a Red Sox fan. Cory just wasnt the same in New York as other places but although they're a rivalry its still sucks that they lost such of a good guy.

DigiMark007
Do we really need to talk about how the team will be without him? I realize you're not trying to be unsensitive, but baseball's really not the paramount concern when something like this happens. I'm just glad no one was hurt in the building....though the 2 deaths are obviously bad enough.

forumcrew
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Do we really need to talk about how the team will be without him? I realize you're not trying to be unsensitive, but baseball's really not the paramount concern when something like this happens. I'm just glad no one was hurt in the building....though the 2 deaths are obviously bad enough.

yea reading his post i was getting a bit angry that, the yanks were the subject.. but you responded well and prolly nicer than I would have.

botankus
He was a replacement player who became a major leaguer and not generally liked around the league. That's an unfortunate result of unions - in all trades, not just sports. I've said my peace on them in the GDF on dozens of occasions. Only four things I can confirm about unions (from experience, not just reading): They'll promise a lot, do a little, demand a lot, and they hate scabs.

wuTa
sports unions, and normal working unions are two different things, normal union workers aren't getting paid millions like sports players, who needs a union when the average salary is 2 million dollars, I don't think those same union rules apply to sports union is the point i'm trying to make here....... Lidle actually had alot of friends in MLB because he played for so many teams so he got to know alot of players.

botankus
Many union workers in NYC (esp. service workers) pull in 80 grand per year and work 8 hours max per day. And if you don't count travel, it's only about 4 hours of actual real work. Many employees are averaging well over $40 per hour. And forget about overtime, both in terms of effort and not taking double-time. I know it's not millions, but it's a hell of a lot more than many employees busting their ass every day.

wuTa
well $40/hr sounds like a good Union job which is a contradiction of sorts from your last statement saying they do little, but nevertheless, some of those service workers need the benefits provided from the unions because some of there jobs can be very hazardous(sp?)....Nowadays with Sports Unions, the only thing they do is make sure that every player in the league is getting paid 7 figures.

botankus
Originally posted by wuTa
well $40/hr sounds like a good Union job which is a contradiction of sorts from your last statement saying they do little

I said they demand a lot ($40 / hr) while doing little (working only 4 hrs in a 8-hr workday).

Smasandian
Unions are useless.

The only affect the lazy people and dont award the hardworking people.

An hundred years ago, unions were needed due to the horrible working conditions...but ****, its 2006 and its called globelization.

wuTa
ok, so you meant Union workers than, you said Unions.....I took your response as in Unions demand a lot and do little, as in they demand you to work hard, and do little to reward you, either I misread or you misspoke, either way, my point stays the same as Lidle was well like by many ball players.

botankus
Originally posted by Smasandian
Unions are useless.

The only affect the lazy people and dont award the hardworking people.

An hundred years ago, unions were needed due to the horrible working conditions...but ****, its 2006 and its called globelization.

I'm 70/30 anti-union...but I will say that I agree with Smas in that they were very, very necessary around the turn of the century and before the mob started getting involved.

Smasandian
Pretty much.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.