Please help me I have a problem!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

aniron
I have just started uni (been here three weeks) and I'm finding it really really hard:

1= I am not making any friends. I have met 2 people that I sort have struck up a friendship and thats it. All my friends in their unis have made masses of friends and are in a big group. I'm trying hard but nothing is working. I'm actually exhausted of trying.

2= I really don't like my roomies. Where I live is lovely. I can't get better accomadation. But the girls (save one or two) are really bitchy. I know they slag me off and I know they slag this other girl off. It's horrible. I get drunk when I go out and they just watch me like entertainment! LOOSEN UP! And one girl said I NEED alcohol to have fun. HOW DARE SHE JUDGE ME!!! I love theatre, cinema, meals and can actually never drink as I don't like the taste that much.

3= I am really homesick. I miss my family, and my dog so so so so much. I miss more though. I miss where I live, I miss my old life with my friends. I miss my old friends who i can only keep in touch with over the net.

I am exhausted. I can't be myself. I don't know what to do. does anyone have any suggestions. I'm crying way to much and i'm fed up of the physical ache of it all. sad

redcaped
A boy can help you, not a boyfriend.

aniron
eh? thats the last thing on my mind. but thanx.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by aniron
I have just started uni (been here three weeks) and I'm finding it really really hard:

1= I am not making any friends. I have met 2 people that I sort have struck up a friendship and thats it. All my friends in their unis have made masses of friends and are in a big group. I'm trying hard but nothing is working. I'm actually exhausted of trying.

2= I really don't like my roomies. Where I live is lovely. I can't get better accomadation. But the girls (save one or two) are really bitchy. I know they slag me off and I know they slag this other girl off. It's horrible. I get drunk when I go out and they just watch me like entertainment! LOOSEN UP! And one girl said I NEED alcohol to have fun. HOW DARE SHE JUDGE ME!!! I love theatre, cinema, meals and can actually never drink as I don't like the taste that much.

3= I am really homesick. I miss my family, and my dog so so so so much. I miss more though. I miss where I live, I miss my old life with my friends. I miss my old friends who i can only keep in touch with over the net.

I am exhausted. I can't be myself. I don't know what to do. does anyone have any suggestions. I'm crying way to much and i'm fed up of the physical ache of it all. sad

Most unis have a million and one different societies where you can meet loads of people. If you're really having trouble meeting people at university - which is weird in itself - then just join up with a society or two that takes your fancy.

Alternatively: quit uni, go back home, play with your dog, and live with mummy and daddy for the rest of your life.

jaden101
what course are you doing?

i notice at my University that certain subject are quite major mixes of social groups and others aren't

computing classes for instance are almost entirely male...long haired metal heads...they all have something in common...sports classes are full of people who are all alike as well

i do a science course (forensics) and so my class is made up of every group you can imagine...for the 1st year hardly anyone spoke to one another....the mature students sat at the front...the metalheads kept themselves to themselves....the fashion conscious types had their little group...

we had a class night out at the end of the 1st year and now everyone yaps to everyone

people at university are surprisingly approachable...and so making connections is easy...you see someone wearing a t-shirt with a band you like...go up and say so...you have an instant connection through music

1st year is also hit and miss in residence halls...usually by second year people start sharing with the friends they've made in the 1st year and so things get more comfortable

i think most people drop out not because of the reasons you mention though...it's always the course...if you have no passion for it then you will find excuses not to stick at it

Imperial_Samura

First of all don't think you need a massive group of friends. I do student mentoring at my uni and I see all types - there are the ones with a massive crowd of acquaintances and kind of friends, and there are people with just a couple of close friends and maybe some class chums.

2 people isn't bad - but if you are determined to have lots of people here are some suggestions:

1st - Clubs and societies. Many universities have a wide variety of these, and they are an excellent way of meeting people - especially ones that have bus trips involved. I joined a wine appreciation group straight up, and in the first couple of weeks we were all together on a two hour long bus trip. Shyness or whatever aside such situations lead to bonding.

2nd - Don't think that classes need be like High school, at uni I have found you might see people for one hour a week in a lecture, and then never cross paths with them again. If possible strike up conversations if your course has team work components, set a good example and all the rest. But don't think its odd if you don't have a lot of in class friends. I know plenty of people who don't speak to anyone else in their classes - their friends are outside uni.

3rd - Social Scene: I'm not much one for bars myself, but some find them a really good place to meet people in a conducive atmosphere. And the best thing is you don't even need to drink as you don't need alcohol to have fun. At my uni there are pool nights, darts nights, toga parties and all the rest. You meet people, get known yourself, be a bit liberal with shouts and you'll be liked.

4th - Variance in schedule: There are a wide variety of social groups in the classes you do. If you have all you classes say in the morning plenty of these might be locked out to you. Variance, a blended schedule, choose some electives if you have the chance that are subjects you can imagine people like yourself might be in.

5th - A gimmick. It is cheesy, and usually happens normally. Some people become recognised and people are more inclined to open up. Myself - I like hats, and wear many different sorts. As such some people have commented, at the opening of a conversation "You're that guy with the hat" - ice breaker.

6th - Be confident! A very important aspect. As I said to begin with - don't feel you need hundreds of friends. But approach any situation with confidence, with self assurance and the like. People are very approachable, and shared interests are many. Music, films, politics - they are happy to talk, and from such humble beginnings friendships can be made.

Which is why I choose to live alone. When I first moved to the city I had the choice of a. moving in with distant relatives (not high on my list) moving in with already established friends or moving in with total strangers. Fortunately an excellent offer came up that saw me have my own apartment. And I haven't regretted it since.

And pleased to see another theatre and cinema fan - two of my great loves. There will be clubs at the uni that cater to such interests. I actually help out with production and the like in some of the university dramatic productions. Great people, a good days work, and some fine theatre.

It passes. The best way to come to grips I found was to take your knew situation by the throat and give it a good shake. Dwelling on the places you were before - nothing wrong with that, but if it can mean the new situation remains alien, strange, cold - it leads to the feeling of isolation which only compounds the feeling of homesickness's. Get out and find a great restaurant that you will frequent and come to be on a first name basis with the staff, find a park bench that you enjoy sitting on, one that recharges you. Get a job, find a nice cinema. Make your new situation your life, and not simply something to be compared with your old one.

Most important thing - be yourself. And with fortitude and confidence you will make a place for yourself and it will be good. Don't feel you need to adhere to preconceived images of university life. Find something that works and run with it.

This might mean becoming a hippy with black feet and a back back with "Macdeath" on it.

Or it might mean becoming one of the popular crowed - the important thing is to find your groove and go with it - these are times of opportunity, of self discovery. It is certainly a culture shock for many.

One chap I encountered when I was doing my mentoring training spoke of his experiances - he was in a homesick slump for close to six months, crying, the works before he got it together. After that he never looked back. - great marks, great experiances, a few good friends. It is just about getting on the right track, and not taking the fast and easy.

This is all general broad stuff - one thing to keep an open mind about is, if you do feel it is to much, you can talk to one of the counsellors employed by the uni. It is unfortunate that people are often scared of them or have the idea a person has to have something wrong to see them. In reality talking can be a massive help, just talking. As well as this they are usually in touch with the universities vibes - and can give more specific advice about approaching it, making friends, handling workloads and all the rest.

aniron
thank you. I am not a confident person at all. I am going to force myself to try and get out there but it seems like everyone else have their friends and don't want anyone else to join. I can't afford the clubs.and there weren't any that really took my fancy. I'll keep you pdated. (i was kinda drunk and upset when when i wrote this but your advice just shows me that people care. I'll keep you posted on how i'm doing. if you have anymore answers please send them they're appreciated. X

Storm

aniron
thanx storm thats really helpful, the thing is i have spoken to people who feel the same. I'm tired of trying thats the worst part. waking up in the morning and knowing it's going to be akward that i'm going to have be feeling like this is horrible. the girls i do chat to are LOVELY, but i just don't know how to meet people anymore. Im happy with the friends i've know for 15 years lol. I'm going to try harder this weekend. thank you

Atlantis001

fini
Dont worry, by the time the semester is over, u'll wonder what you were complaining bout. GEt to know people around you, and from class.

Its really easy to make friends at university. Just that it can be a little slow at the begining.

Bardock42

2 people should certainly be enough, don't you think, chances are that 1 of them is an idiot anyways...1 friend is better...none best. You are close to perfect. Anyways, if you actually want to make friends (which as a desire in itself I do not understand) why don't you go to parties at your University or join a club or something? I mean if you are not chosy making friends is easy as Calculus. Which brings me right to the next point, which is that I will ignore your second point and go straight to the third...home is overrated...start enjoying what you have now....hmm, man, i like phony answers...like Floo's for example.

bogen
get out there, get active, get confident and get yourself noticed as being someone who is indipenandly happy, people resond well to this i find.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
5th - A gimmick. It is cheesy, and usually happens normally. Some people become recognised and people are more inclined to open up. Myself - I like hats, and wear many different sorts. As such some people have commented, at the opening of a conversation "You're that guy with the hat" - ice breaker.

I don't like you anymore.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I don't like you anymore.

I still do, the hat thing is gay though..and not the acceptable kind...you know where one man penetrates the butt of another man with his reproductive organ..not that kind...more the kind when a guy wears hats ... and uses it as ice breaker....that kind of gay. Just to be clear.

ADarksideJedi
Give it time you will make friends.jm

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Bardock42
2 people should certainly be enough, don't you think, chances are that 1 of them is an idiot anyways...1 friend is better...none best. You are close to perfect. Anyways, if you actually want to make friends (which as a desire in itself I do not understand) why don't you go to parties at your University or join a club or something? I mean if you are not chosy making friends is easy as Calculus. Which brings me right to the next point, which is that I will ignore your second point and go straight to the third...home is overrated...start enjoying what you have now....hmm, man, i like phony answers...like Floo's for example.

It was interesting, towards the end of last year I believe some survey was done, by some institute of another - the question being how many "close friends" do the average person have (25 years and older) - outside of family.

There was criteria in the friend that set it apart from just a work colleague or acquaintance.

I believe something like 45% (maybe higher) admitted to have three or less truly close friends - people they truly trust and consider. Three or less good friends and perhaps many acquaintances. The point of it was quality over quantity. It was considered more important to have a couple of excellent friends then a mass of barely acceptable average ones.

Also a high number admitted to not really believing they had any close friends outside of family or maybe work - and that it didn't make them unhappy.

Hehehe. I don't subscribe to it myself, and I think trying to be recognised in such a way is shallow. I've never felt the need nor desire to act in order to be liked. The kind of people that would are hardly people I am interested in knowing.

However it does seem to happen, as in my case. I wasn't expecting it, and I was surprised when it happened. A guy came up in one of the new classes I was doing and he goes "Hey, your that guy with the hats. I've seen you around" - more accurately he hadn't seen me, he'd seen the hat.

I don't wear my hats in order to get recongised but rather to keep the sun of, and to because I like them. Born out of living on a farm in a hot part of the country - couldn't stand caps, thus went in for fedoras and panamas.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hehehe. I don't subscribe to it myself, and I think trying to be recognised in such a way is shallow. I've never felt the need nor desire to act in order to be liked. The kind of people that would are hardly people I am interested in knowing.

However it does seem to happen, as in my case. I wasn't expecting it, and I was surprised when it happened. A guy came up in one of the new classes I was doing and he goes "Hey, your that guy with the hats. I've seen you around" - more accurately he hadn't seen me, he'd seen the hat.

I don't wear my hats in order to get recongised but rather to keep the sun of, and to because I like them. Born out of living on a farm in a hot part of the country - couldn't stand caps, thus went in for fedoras and panamas.

Enough! If you stop now, there's a chance we can be friends again in the future. Otherwise...

Roulette
Hmmm...

1) The whole 'new friends' thing is hard, don't worry^-^ you'll meet more people, just give it time...you've only been there for a few weeks.
Sometimes, friendships can start up when you're least expecting them smile

2) No matter what, where ever you go, whether at work, uni, out in public, etc. there will always be some rude/mean people. It suckssad but not everyone is nice. Just gotta keep outta there way, y'know? smile don't let them affect you.

3) Being homesick is awful sad but just look forward to visiting them when you have free time ^-^ and remember that they'll always be there for you. Until you see them again, just try and make the most of this new situation smile

Imperial_Samura
Enough! If you stop now, there's a chance we can be friends again in the future. Otherwise...

Stop wearing hats? But I could get skin cancer. And I could say I'd stopped wearing them but continue... and you'd never know.

Or stop talking about them? Strictly speaking I was the one who labelled it a gimmick. One of the mentors who took my group during my first year orientation (new students get together, get split up and led around by mentors who answer questions, offer advice, tell stories about their own experiences and all that jazz) was what many term "a long haired hippy" dreads, what I suspect was hemp clothing, the works.

He said "Now, you should do what is comfortable be yourself, do your own thing, and hey, you even get noticed. Take me for example, I don't wear shoes..."

And honest to God he had the blackest feet I had ever seen. The point of his story was sometimes something quirky gets a person noticed. I termed it a "gimmick" and thought "well, that doesn't interest me" (hence the irony.) Naturally though I don't agree with it some people seem to, and I guess it is whatever floats ones boat. Though I like to think that hippy finished his course and has had to wear shoes everyday since.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Stop wearing hats? But I could get skin cancer. And I could say I'd stopped wearing them but continue... and you'd never know.

Or stop talking about them? Strictly speaking I was the one who labelled it a gimmick. One of the mentors who took my group during my first year orientation (new students get together, get split up and led around by mentors who answer questions, offer advice, tell stories about their own experiences and all that jazz) was what many term "a long haired hippy" dreads, what I suspect was hemp clothing, the works.

He said "Now, you should do what is comfortable be yourself, do your own thing, and hey, you even get noticed. Take me for example, I don't wear shoes..."

And honest to God he had the blackest feet I had ever seen. The point of his story was sometimes something quirky gets a person noticed. I termed it a "gimmick" and thought "well, that doesn't interest me" (hence the irony.) Naturally though I don't agree with it some people seem to, and I guess it is whatever floats ones boat. Though I like to think that hippy finished his course and has had to wear shoes everyday since.

Baby Jesus, who art in 7-Eleven...

I respect your right to wear hats, but that doesn't mean that I like reading about it.

It's over, Samura. It's god-damn over.

Imperial_Samura
Baby Jesus, who art in 7-Eleven...

I respect your right to wear hats, but that doesn't mean that I like reading about it.

It's over, Samura. It's god-damn over.

I believe the correct phrase is "game over man. Game over."

The ironic thing was I wasn't even talking about hats in that post, rather a hippy and his shallow advice to bright eyes young uni kids.

But yes, lets move on.

Bardock42
Man, you are obsessed with them hats... where were we...ah yes....Universities.....like, I went to a bar yesterday...and there were like tons of people...and I think i could have like talked to them (although i didn't cause I hate people)...and like....you (the thread starter person) could go to one and just like...talk to people...cause I heard that's how you (generally..as in "one"wink make friends....as I said...I only heard that...I wouldn't know....I also heard that wearing hats is a great way to make friends....or a ritual killing....most people that participated in a ritual killing (well, except for the sacrifice...human of course...don't want to anger the invisible man you sacrifice to) stay life long friends....should just check with the local authorities how long such a life will last in case you get caught...where was I..oh yes...Germany....a very necessary question to give an acceptable answer to your question....cool, I said question twice....correctly though....is, are you hot?

My God, I think I broke the "..." record, not even debbiejo could beat that.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, you did. However, I imagined your ...s were actually ellipses bearing fruit, so I filled them with funny words like 'banana', 'treacle', and 'encephalitis' which had the affect of rendering your whole post rather bizarre.

Yaw, that whole 'Waaa, how do I make friends?' thing is totally bizarre. Especially at a place where making friends is pretty much par for the higher education course.

See what I did at the end there? Sweet...

*encephalitisizes*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.