Scared of Driving

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

alic88
I am 18 years old, Currently living in Houston..I have been driving for the past 6 months and was on and off before that.. I have gotten into a lot of POTENTIAL car accidents... but I've been more than just fortunate to survive them.. just fifteen minutes ago I almost crashed into a car.. for the past three months I have been overcome with fear that I will get into an accident VERY VERY soon.. and a bad one, I could almost feel it.. today it nearly happened. Has anyone of u been through the same experiences? Can anyone help in anyway?

PVS
take the bus

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by PVS
take the bus

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoingegaga.

(Did I do that right?)

PVS
i think it will suffice

jaden101
Originally posted by alic88
I am 18 years old, Currently living in Houston..I have been driving for the past 6 months and was on and off before that.. I have gotten into a lot of POTENTIAL car accidents... but I've been more than just fortunate to survive them.. just fifteen minutes ago I almost crashed into a car.. for the past three months I have been overcome with fear that I will get into an accident VERY VERY soon.. and a bad one, I could almost feel it.. today it nearly happened. Has anyone of u been through the same experiences? Can anyone help in anyway?

quite clearly you are a shit driver that doesn't pay attention to whats going on around you

stay off the roads if you're that convinced you're going to crash...if not for your own well being then do it for the poor **** you'll inevitably plow into

Imperial_Samura
It's funny - I was/am wonderful at road theory. Got my L's no problem.

I lived on a farm, a number of farm vehicles around to practice in. I did my first teat drive, panicked due to an innocent mistake and went straight through a fence. Good times.

After that I was fine - I got to grips with the feel of cars, got to understand reaction times, control and all that - essentially got confidence. The good thing here was that living on a farm there was lots of wide open spaces and empty track to practice in.

Essentially if you aren't ready don't force it. Wait till you have the confidence and the skill. Practice at quite times on quite streets, book driving lessons and whatever else. How ever if you are jumping, prone to over reaction or don't have a handle of the car then sooner or later there is a good chance something bad will happen - and on public roads it will likely be worse then just going through a couple of farm fences.

PVS
Originally posted by jaden101
quite clearly you are a shit driver that doesn't pay attention to whats going on around you

stay off the roads if you're that convinced you're going to crash...if not for your own well being then do it for the poor **** you'll inevitably plow into

the unabridged version of my response

coolmovies
Have u passed your test ?? you should take more lessions

ThePittman

Strangelove
I am 18 years old, Currently living in Houston..I have been driving for the past 6 months and was on and off before that.. I have gotten into a lot of POTENTIAL car accidents... but I've been more than just fortunate to survive them.. just fifteen minutes ago I almost crashed into a car.. for the past three months I have been overcome with fear that I will get into an accident VERY VERY soon.. and a bad one, I could almost feel it.. today it nearly happened. Has anyone of u been through the same experiences? Can anyone help in anyway? It's all about mentality...if you're so certain that you'll be in an accident, eventually you will be. Just convince yuorself that you're a good driver (even if it's not true srug), and stop worrying.

Lana
Driving's not that scary, and making yourself paranoid about getting in an accident isn't going to help matters.

I've been in quite a few near-accidents because of people doing things like disregarding stopsigns/stoplights, making illegal turns, etc., but if you're a good driver you can usually avoid these things. The one accident I was in was because we were stopped and the idiot behind us wasn't paying attention and hit us. I don't worry about getting in accidents though (though admittedly I do get a bit nervous about people following behind too close) because I'm confident in my skills.

Quit worrying, pay attention to what you're doing, and get more practice. It's not scary at all, unless you're a shit driver who doesn't know what you're doing.

botankus
Drive the city courses on Gran Turismo for like 3 straight weeks. It sounds silly, but it will help you recognize scenarios at intersections that probably scare you. Also the scenery while driving in traffic. My friend, who hadn't driven in almost two decades, played the game for a month in addition to learning behind the wheel.

Only afterwards, don't try to hit the Square button when braking while you're on the real roads. And don't get lazy and substitute Mario Kart.

Fishy
Take more classes...

Lana
Originally posted by botankus
Drive the city courses on Gran Turismo for like 3 straight weeks. It sounds silly, but it will help you recognize scenarios at intersections that probably scare you. Also the scenery while driving in traffic. My friend, who hadn't driven in almost two decades, played the game for a month in addition to learning behind the wheel.

Only afterwards, don't try to hit the Square button when braking while you're on the real roads. And don't get lazy and substitute Mario Kart.

And after playing GTA for hours and then going out driving in real life, don't try running down hookers to get money to pay for gas.

alic88
Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I will strongly take your advice over this matter, I suppose it has a lot do with confidence or lack of it, I have to get the fear out of my mind.

and to jaden101: Thanks for those words, but I'd like you to be in a situation where u have driven all your life in a country where traffic concept is competely 180 degree opposite of the traffic rules in America, and then having to drive back and forth in usa and that other country. I am not trying to justify my bad driving... but you certainly dont have to be that harsh.

Faceman
Dude, just relax. Here's a tip, just stick to the speed limit, and you will be all right.

ThePittman
Originally posted by Lana
And after playing GTA for hours and then going out driving in real life, don't try running down hookers to get money to pay for gas. You aren't supposed to do that? stick out tongue

debbiejo
Start driving on dirt roads that are not very populated and then work yourself up to paved streets.

jaden101

and to jaden101: Thanks for those words, but I'd like you to be in a situation where u have driven all your life in a country where traffic concept is competely 180 degree opposite of the traffic rules in America, and then having to drive back and forth in usa and that other country. I am not trying to justify my bad driving... but you certainly dont have to be that harsh.

if you lack that much confidence in your driving...you shouldn't drive...its not being harsh...but if you feel you're going to cause an accident because you aren't confident with driving then give some thought to the person you will inevitably have an accident with

could you live with yourself if you ended someones life because of your driving when you knew you really weren't fully prepared to be driving in the first place?

debbiejo
Hey, I flipped my car over on the express way, and I survived .........wasn't even wearing a seat belt..........wasn't required to at that time and look at me now........... shifty

Atlantis001
Drive at lower speeds and in where there is less traffic first.

BackFire
Walk.

Some people are just shit drivers. Case closed, game over, man.

BornToRule

hmm i know what ur talking about.... though i have overcome most if it now but it comes into my mind sometimes when driving( wich resulting in me driving a bit slower than usual) it all started after i got a flat tyre and flipped a car(rolled over 3 times before it stopped). my friends got some bad injuries and i came out with whiplash.

but well just drive and dont think to much about it(this means dont drive like and idiot) just focus on driving and keep the dangers in mind but dont think to much about it (this work fine for me)...
also dont drive after the book! im not talking about speeding and such stuff. just take ur time dont rush(just because ppl are close up behind you doesnt mean u have to drive faster). also drive like u feel is comfortable. (im talking about driving style) the driving school says do this do that well... just forget all they said and learn to drive like u want and u feels is right(only thing u need to remember from "driving school" is signs and rules).

Mišt

Its only a subconcious feeling because you lack experience, and fear what might happen. Nearly everyone will have an accident at some point, whether its their fault or not. Just pay more attention to the road and your car around others. Its unfortunate if it occurs, but shit happens. srug

Nay sayer
Originally posted by Lana
And after playing GTA for hours and then going out driving in real life, don't try running down hookers to get money to pay for gas.

LMAO!! Thats hilarious cuz its almost happened to me! Well, sort of anyway stick out tongue

Nay sayer

Lyna303
wow, if i start to feel this way, i drive extra careful i don't even care if other ppl flip me off...

Mr. Sandman

Don't listen to these people, they're crazy.

You're going to crash and die. Don't ever drive again. Getting into a car with you is like walking into a death trap.

Do us all a favor and sit in the backseat please. Don't even sit shotgun.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.