-------justice -

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lenack
For an extensive assignment and general interest.

Why do superheroes fight for justice?
What are superheroes? -- specifically
Do we need Superheroes?

please help. Thank you.

Scoobless
Justice is a matter of perspective

Juntai
Originally posted by Scoobless
Justice is a matter of perspective Well said.

inamilist
Read Plato's Republic....

Draw analogies between guardians and heroes

Lenack
Well the perspective of justice that most of public take..

good guys fighting bad guys. etc.

Plato's Republic??

What are superheroes???
thank you.

Dreampanther
It is something you have to decide for yourself - it is completely subjective. Different acts have different meanings for different people. It has to do with honour, and facing your fears.

What you have to do is decide what heroism means for YOU, and why would you define an action as heroic, and why would you see someone as a hero/heroine.

Superhero just means a hero with superpowers, same as supervillain means a villain with superpowers. The emphasis should be on HERO, not SUPER.

Lenack
thank you. anyone else??

who is the overall most powerful superhero.. like the best fighter etc. gods and everything.

Are there any specific morals they uphold?

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Lenack
thank you. anyone else??

who is the overall most powerful superhero.. like the best fighter etc. gods and everything.

Are there any specific morals they uphold?

Most powerful superhero? Whoa, now you stuck your head in a hornet's nest - everybody will have a different opinion. Depends on what class they are in, if you are looking at martial arts skills, or pure strength, etc...

Morals, again, is a subjective topic. Captain America stands for "Truth, Justice and the American way." Spiderman believes "With great power comes great responsibility."

Look up some of the more famous superheroes on Wikipedia, then look up "Ethics" and "Morals" on Wikipedia as well, that should help broaden your knowledge, and let you ask more specific/informed questions.

inamilist
The reason I recommend "The Republic" by Plato is because most of these issues are covered at length in it. The idea of what justice is and what it means to act just

it does get a bit metaphysical and prejudicial by the end (It was written hundreds of years BC) but the general thesis is that people as a whole need moral leaders to protect and give them justice. These people are called the guardians in his world.

There isn't a direct application, but philosophically there are a lot of similarities between what Plato thinks makes a good "guardian" and what makes a good "hero", maybe not politically, but ethically for sure.

As far as I know there are lots of places online that have a full transcript of "The republic"

Lenack
Thank you a lot.. this has helped a lot.

Im gonna catergorize this information from yous as "expert" so roughly how many comic books do yous think you have read? or how long. or anythin along those lines to prove your expertise.

THank you.

Anyone else have anythin to say?

Lenack
???

inamilist
ummm, I'm not an expert in any way

there are thousands of periodical articles published about analysis of The Republic

And honestly I am no expert on comic books. In fact, the only thing I was saying is that you should do research into how Justice is defined by Plato and how Heroes may interpret their own roles in society (responsability, destiny, necessity).

I appreciate it, but really, I'm not a credable source

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.