Obi Wan Kenobi (TPM) vs Anakin Skywalker (AOTC)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

spartan_070
Obi Wan Kenobi as a Padawan vs Anakin Skywalker as a Padawan

Battlefield: Naboo (Where Qui Gon Jinn met his demise)
No Restrictions

*Obi Wan defeated Darth Maul, Anakin put up a strong fight against Count Dooku. This should be very close.

Who do you think and why?

Quinlan_Vos
This has been done loads of time. TPM Kenobi wins.

kamikz
Last time we had it I though Anakin won.

Quinlan_Vos
Really? This thread has been done more than twice, so I do not know who wins but I believe Kenobi wins.

spartan_070
I also believe Kenobi has this, but I wanted to see what others thought.

Kas'Im
I say Anakin. He seemed to display more skill in AOTC than Obi-Wan did in TPM, damn close though.

Darth Subjekt
I think Ankin's more powerful as a padawan, but kenobi might take it more seriously. It'd be a very tough fight though. I may be inclined to say a draw perhaps????

Kas'Im
How d'you mean?

darthsith19
This has been done loads of times. Kenobi got lucky against Maul. But he is a Jedi Knight by the end of TPM where Anakin is only a Padawan and I can't see Anakin killing Maul like Kenobi did. Anakin's a level 7 in saber combat, Kenobi a level 6 but a level 7 when he uses the Dark Side (according to Nick Gillard) so normally with pure saber skills Anakin is slightly ahead but I see Kenobi winning due to (probably) greater Force skills and control, plus he has more intuition and training. Also, Anakin thought he could take Dooku alone so against some Padawan he'd probably get mega cocky and get decapitated quickly.

spartan_070
I totally agree with you darthsith19, I think Obi Wan has this due to Anakin's cockyness at the time of episode II.

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by Kas'Im
How d'you mean?

Anakin knows he's stronger than his peers and thats why he does things that other Jedi don't do, ie jump out of a speeder hundreds of stories up and land on the speeder he was aiming for. So i think he's more powerful than OB1 has an apprentice, but being that OB1 got actual RESPECT from his Master, he wasn't out to prove himself as much as Anakin felt he had to. Also, Anakin was a slave during childhood, so he could see how his friends got to act and have a normal childhood, whereas OB1 was with the Jedi as a kid and couldn't miss something he never had or saw. So OB1 might have a more mature mind when ANakin might want to experience a "normal" adolescence. Hence OB1 being more serious, ya know?

Ob1 isn't that great with the force, but he was older than Anakin was and is more defensive. Anakin has a lot of aggression and thats what got him in trouble with Dooku. I think Anakin could pull it off, but more often than not, OB1 would. Maybe 6/10 in favor of Kenobi.

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by spartan_070
I totally agree with you darthsith19, I think Obi Wan has this due to Anakin's cockyness at the time of episode II.

he was cocky for a reason though. Its not a lack of skills or talent. He can outclass OB1 almost any day of the week.

(sorry for double post)

darthsith19
And what was his reason for being cocky against Dooku?

Quinlan_Vos
Kenobi wins. I am not sure if this is true, but doesn't it say in the novel that he calmed his mind and then cut off Maul's saber. That's pretty powerful. Even if he gets fueled by the Dark Side, how much more powerful does he become? I don't see Anakin doing that against Maul.

In addition, didn't Anakin used rage and cockiness in his duel against Dooku. Anakin was already pissed off at Tyrannus and then Dooku pawns his Master. And even then Anakin gets toyed by and still gets pawned. I would say Kenobi would give a better fight than that.

Kenobi is also very clear-minded and determined. Anakin will get cocky and Kenobi will find some way to defeat Anakin.

Also, Darth, I do not use levels but in this case I will. ROTS Anakin says his powers have doubled, doesn't that mean AOTC Anakin is a Level 5? For the sake of it, I would say he's a six. I highly doubt that he's a seven. A seven would be pretty good and the level masters like Agen Kolar would be as eight would be Cin Drallig, Billaba, Koon, Unduli, and Vos.

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by darthsith19
And what was his reason for being cocky against Dooku?

I wouldn't say cocky off the bat, i would say his was more mad that he had a lot of Jedi killed and Made Padme fall out of her ship, so he wasn't thinking clearly. Then he did last longer against Dooku than OB1 did as a full Jedi Knight, so thats a testament to his power.

If Anakin said his powers doubled then we have to assume they did. There's nothing else to contradict or say otherwise. Also, Lucas said that at the time of ROTS, Anakin was the most powerful, he just didn't have as much experience as the other Jedi. If OB1 only beat Maul out of luck, then that doesn't show how powerful he his, it shows how lucky he is. He didn't claim Mauls mind, he just did and saber strike upwards and cut it. Anakin would fair better against Maul being that their styles match better and they're similar. But at the time of AOTC, Anakin would probably fall to Maul after a long duel. Its already been said that Maul was better than OB1.

"In addition, didn't Anakin used rage and cockiness in his duel against Dooku. Anakin was already pissed off at Tyrannus and then Dooku pawns his Master. And even then Anakin gets toyed by and still gets pawned. I would say Kenobi would give a better fight than that."

uh....what? How did Anakin get "toyed by" after OB1 was beaten? Are you referring to AOTC or ROTS? Last i recalled Anakin saved OB1's ass again and then did better than OB1. His injury was more serious but he faired better against Dooku.

Anakin didn't get cocky against OB1 till he had time to sit there and "think" for a minute. If Anakin is in the moment and just fighting out of instinct, I don't think he gets cocky, especially against someone that he knows real well. He's knows that if he makes a mistake that OB1 would capitalize. I'm thinking he would be more cautous and careful with OB1. We're not talking about Anakin on the darkside, so he has no real reason to be fighting with blind rage.

Also. I have no idea what you said about levels...you lost me....maybe I'm too drunk, but i didn't get it. Like i said, I think OB1 would squeeze out more wins, but they wouldn't be easy at all and Anakin could definitely win a few as well.

darthsith19
To Quinlan - Yes, the system of levels is a bit complicated, however, I doubt all level 7 swordsmen are equal - for example, Anakin in AOTC is a level 7 and someone like Kit may also be a level 7 but are they equal? No. And while Anakin got alot stronger between ROTS and AOTC I doubt his powers doubled, that's just Anakin talkin' shit to Dooku. In AOTC he's a level 7, I'd guess a low level 7, ROTS he's a 8, I'd guess a high 8, and a 9 when using the Dark Side. He also got stronger with the Force and got far smarter and gained alot of battle experience. Koon, Billaba, Vos, Unduli and Drallig would be very low level 8's for the most part I think, Dooku a middle-high level 8, then ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan would be high level 8's.

Kas'Im
Given the situation and way he said this, you can't take this too seriously.

Darth Subjekt
uh, given his proformance against Dooku, i think we can. He got pwned in AOTC, and then pwned Dooku even quicker the second time around. i'd say that display of power would be a doubling in power.

Escape81
Anakin in AotC did far better against Dooku than Obi-Wan did. The script and databank confirm it, that "Skywalker wasn't so easily defeated the second time around."

I'll look into this more later, but I think Anakin wins.

Darth Sexiest
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
uh, given his proformance against Dooku, i think we can. He got pwned in AOTC, and then pwned Dooku even quicker the second time around. i'd say that display of power would be a doubling in power.

LOL. I totally agree...

Darth Sexiest
Anakin Wins. wink

Escape81
I'd say the fight would resemble Dooku vs. Yoda, in terms of power relationship. Count Dooku did give Yoda a considerable fight, but it was quite obvious that Yoda was dominating the fight completely and was going to win.

TPM Kenobi, for about five seconds, did very well against Maul. But, ten years later, Obi-Wan gets owned by Dooku. Dooku did clearly defeat Anakin, too, but Anakin proved to be a problem.

I'd say AotC Anakin would win.

Darth Subjekt
yea, im beginning to switch my opinion to Anakin more often than not.

Prodigal Knight
Obi-Wan Kenobi switched forms. As a Padawan, he spent ten years LEARNING ATARU, but then after TPM, he went back to lightsaber traning and then spent ten years LEARNING Soresu. Basically, he kinda started all over, which is the reason why he isn't really powerful by AOTC. If he had continued Ataru, he certainly would have been more powerful than his Soresu AOTC self.

And I certainly believe Kenobi could give a stronger fight than Anakin against Dooku. Did you see how slow Anakin's blows were. Heck, if I was out there, I could have pwned him. Kenobi was at least fast against Maul. Even if he was using anger in the beginning part of the duel against Maul, didn't he calm down and then sliced Maul's saber in half.

Besides, when AOTC Anakin also used anger like Obi-Wan. I mean, Dooku killed a bunch of Jedi and wounded his master. And still, he got pwned by a TOYING Dooku.

In addition, AOTC Anakin is arrogant. He'll automatically assume Kenobi stinks since he's a Padawan (the topknot) and Anakin surpassed a bunch of Padawans when he began his training. Obi's clear focused mind will make him win somehow.

Darth Subjekt
You cant say that Anakin would take OB1 lightly, you don't know what he would "think". The duel in AOTC was "hidden" in essence to build up the duel in ROTS. Anakin did better for a reason...cause he's an overall stronger padawan. OB1 went down off two little sissy love taps, Anakin got fried with lightning and still saved his master. By the same regards, Dooku's blows were just as slow, so you cant judge someones powers on that 30 second fight. Not a minute later Dooku was in a fast fight with Yoda, so what we saw didn't accurately portray Anakin's abilities. He was going faster against the creatures on th conveyor belt. Anakin did better against Dooku than OB1 did in both movies, so now I'm more inclined to say that Anakin would win.

No Kenobi didn't calm down til Maul pushed him in the hole. So when he broke his saber he was still using the darkside, the novel describes this.

darthsith19
I agree that Anakin is slightly stronegr but I think he'll lose cause he'll make a mistake and f*ck up.

death

mnat801
Obi Wan wins with difficulty

Dolos
Anakin wins, he did last longer against Dooku in the lightsaber portion of their battles. And for Kenobi to trust his apprentice with his lightsaber requires a lot of faith, especially since Anakin had no practice in dual wielding.

NewGuy01
Depends. Is this normal Kenobi, or Kenobi while he's having one of his famous temper tantrums? (EX: When Qui-Gon was killed), The outcome of this fight depends on that.

mnat801
Originally posted by Dolos
Anakin wins, he did last longer against Dooku in the lightsaber portion of their battles. And for Kenobi to trust his apprentice with his lightsaber requires a lot of faith, especially since Anakin had no practice in dual wielding. Yes, your correct for the lightsaber portion of the battle. However, in all out, Kenobi technically lasted longer than Anakin, because we see Anakin is hit with force lightning as soon as he engaged the count - whereas Kenobi saw this coming and was patient.

Also, Anakin lasting longer against Dooku for the lightsaber portion of the battle longer than Kenobi did doesn't necessarily mean that he'd do better against Obi Wan. Remember Anakin defeated Dooku very quickly in ROTS but had a way longer duel against his master.

I also think Anakin did have practise in dual weilding, as we also see in the clone wars series Obi Wan take on both Maul and Savage using 2 blades, even though we never see him with previous experience. And seeing after the events of AOTC that they are both busy with the Clone wars, we can assume that the majority of their lightsaber training went in between the events of TPM and AOTC (10 years). From there, the clone wars provided Anakin with experience and application of his skills with a lightsaber.

Arhael
Length of fight with Dooku doesn't mean anything. Both of them are inferior to Dooku. How long it takes before their lack of skill is exposed is unpredictable. By chance Dooku fought Anakin longer. Kenobi he won through saber lock, which could happen at any point of the fight.

mnat801
Originally posted by Arhael
Length of fight with Dooku doesn't mean anything. Both of them are inferior to Dooku. How long it takes before their lack of skill is exposed is unpredictable. By chance Dooku fought Anakin longer. Kenobi he won through saber lock, which could happen at any point of the fight. That's true, I only pointed this out to Dolos because he believes Anakin wins due to Anakin's longer lightsaber duel.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by mnat801
That's true, I only pointed this out to Dolos because he believes Anakin wins due to Anakin's longer lightsaber duel.

Well Anakin should have lasted longer. He tried 2 different styles on Dooku. First Jar Kai, then normal fencing. Plus Dooku had just been in a fight immediately prior to Anakin engaging him.

Anakin was probably a little stronger, but Obi-Wan would win. This Anakin was just an impatient Padawan. He'll likely crop up at some point.

Darth Martin
Anakin is more powerful and probably a better duelist but something is telling me he'd still lose. I don't know, Kenobi's showing against Maul was more impressive than Anakin's against Dooku.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Kenobi and with some difficulty

Arhael
I would say that it is fair to assume that their skill was equal. Anakin is already Jedi for 10 years, it makes sense that he already learned all the moves from his Master. After all they both equally improved since AotC later.

The_Tempest
Anakin wins. Star Wars Fact File #100 says Anakin forced Dooku to dig deeper into his skills to beat him in AOTC (which is corroborated by both the script and novelization), whereas Obi-Wan's defeat was "casual."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.