The so-called religion of Atheism!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
It seems that alot of people here don't understand what it's like to be atheist, or even, what it is. It's not a religion. And here's why.

Every religion has a belief system that can't be explained or proven by true science. An example is god. Another thing religion has is a prophet, someone who started the belief, or who believed it first. The third is a book, or a set of rules, something that the followers read to be "good". Another thing they have is a house, or a building in which the follwers go to to show respect. Teachers who adress the religion, (priests, bishops, mullars etc.). And lastly, a symble that represent their faith to it.

Christianity

Supernatural Beliefs: God, The Trinity, the life of Jesus, Moses, angels, the devil, heavan n hell, noah, Adam n Eve etc.
Prophet: Jesus (and possibly the very first people who actually wrote the Bible)
Book: Bible
Building: Church/Chaple
Teachers: Priest/Vicar < Bishop < Pope/Ruler of England
Symbol: Cross

Judaisism

Supernatural Beliefs: God, Adam n Eve, Moses, David, the devil, heavan n hell, Noah etc.
Prophet: Moses (I think)
Book: Torah
Building: Synagogue
Teacher: Rabbi
Symbol: 6 pointed star

Islam

Supernatural Beliefs: God, Heaven n Hell, The Earth being the centre of the world and no one able to leave it, Adam n Eve, the devil etc.
Prophet: Muhammed
Book: Quran
Building: Mosque
Teacher: Mullar < Cleric
Symbol: The moon n star

Sikhism

Supernatural Beliefs: God, the life of the ten gurus
Prophet: Guru Nanak
Book: Guru Granth Sahib
Building: Gurdwara
Teacher: Guru
Symbol: Khanda

Hinduism

Supernatural Beliefs: God, Shiva, Vishnu, Shakti, reincarnation etc.
Prophet: Unknown
Book: Karma
Building: Temple
Symbol: Aum, Swastika

Buddhism

Supernatural Beliefs: Karma, Reincarnation, the life of Buddha
Prophet: Buddha
Book: Dhamma
Teacher: Monks
Symbol: The Conch Shell, the Lotus, the Wheel, the Parasol (Umbrella), the Endless Knot, the Pair of Golden Fishes, the Banner, Proclaiming Victory, the Treasure Vase

Atheism

Supernatural Beliefs: None.
Prophet: None.
Book: None.
Building: None.
Teacher: None.
Symbol: None.

As you can see, Atheists have no book, beliefs, prophets etc. Atheism is not the disbelief of anything. It's the abscence of belief. It's not an organised alternative teaching method to youngens. It's not a religion. Don't treat it as one. Because that's where the problem stasts.

Lord Urizen
Excellent Thread....

Soleran
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Excellent Thread....

Wow, we're on the same page here!

fini
Great point(s) made.

debbiejo
That's it in a nut shell...

Impediment
Yup. That about waxes it there. yes

crazy
But what about the brotherhood of athiesm!!!!

lord xyz
Glad to know I've made atleast one sensible thread. big grin

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by lord xyz

Buddhism

Symbol: The Conch Shell, the Lotus, the Wheel, the Parasol (Umbrella), the Endless Knot, the Pair of Golden Fishes, the Banner, Proclaiming Victory, the Treasure Vase

Few Misconceptions - Karma is not a supernatural beleif. Its a cause and effect.
Buddhists don't beieve in reincarnation, but re-birth.
How is life of Buddha supernatural?

You are not required to believe in the Life of buddha. I don't quite understand that...?

Buddha was not a prophet. He never claimed to be one and he is not deemed as one.

If you call Buddha prophet, you must call Karl Marx a prophet, Aristotle a prophet, Plato a prophet or any other philosopher who had a following would automatically become a prophet.

Buddhism is a philosophical view of life - Buddhists are people who agree with the basics of Buddhism and it can never be grouped in the all the other you posed.

Some Buddhists greatly ditest Buddhism to be a religion.

The symbols you talk about are not supernatural sumbols of any kind, they simply illustrate the philosophy. The wheel for example illustrates the basics of the enlightened path.

lord xyz
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Few Misconceptions - Karma is not a supernatural beleif. Its a cause and effect.
Buddhists don't beieve in reincarnation, but re-birth.
How is life of Buddha supernatural?

You are not required to believe in the Life of buddha. I don't quite understand that...?

Buddha was not a prophet. He never claimed to be one and he is not deemed as one.

If you call Buddha prophet, you must call Karl Marx a prophet, Aristotle a prophet, Plato a prophet or any other philosopher who had a following would automatically become a prophet.

Buddhism is a philosophical view of life - Buddhists are people who agree with the basics of Buddhism and it can never be grouped in the all the other you posed.

Some Buddhists greatly ditest Buddhism to be a religion.

The symbols you talk about are not supernatural sumbols of any kind, they simply illustrate the philosophy. The wheel for example illustrates the basics of the enlightened path. hmm You make an interesting point. I myself have also wondered how Buddhism fell into the religion catagory.

Wait, isn't it said that Buddha sat under a tree for 20 years or something?

FeceMan
Atheism is "the doctrine or belief that there is no God" and "disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings."

Religion is "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs" and "something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience."

So, technically, atheism is a religion. Of course, that's being annoying and adhering to the strictest of definitions (something that some members of KMC have difficulty with in the first place).

Impediment
As you can see, Atheists have no book, beliefs, prophets etc. Atheism is not the disbelief of anything. It's the abscence of belief. It's not an organised alternative teaching method to youngens. It's not a religion. Don't treat it as one. Because that's where the problem stasts.

I agree with you on that note, however, some atheists I know would dare to go as far and call Madalyn O'Hair the "prophet" of atheists. While she did dedicate her life to atheism and helped pave the road, she tried to make it into a religion of sorts. O'Hair's good friend Larry Flynt is quoted as saying, "If I could fault Madalyn for anything, it would be her making her atheism her religion. She was as feverish as they would be." We (Atheists) don't have a prophet or texts nor do we need them. However, I do hold a respect for O'Hair and what she did for atheism.

lord xyz
Originally posted by FeceMan
Atheism is "the doctrine or belief that there is no God" and "disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings."

Religion is "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs" and "something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience."

So, technically, atheism is a religion. Of course, that's being annoying and adhering to the strictest of definitions (something that some members of KMC have difficulty with in the first place). Only a Fundamentalist would say something like that. sadyes

Atheism is not the belief there is no god, most atheist don't know or understand the concept of god. Also, in religion, these beliefs have to be about something not the denial of something.

Regret
It seems that alot of people here don't understand what it's like to be atheist, or even, what it is. It's not a religion. And here's why.

Every religion has a belief system that can't be explained or proven by true science. An example is god. Another thing religion has is a prophet, someone who started the belief, or who believed it first. The third is a book, or a set of rules, something that the followers read to be "good". Another thing they have is a house, or a building in which the follwers go to to show respect. Teachers who adress the religion, (priests, bishops, mullars etc.). And lastly, a symble that represent their faith to it.

As you can see, Atheists have no book, beliefs, prophets etc. Atheism is not the disbelief of anything. It's the abscence of belief. It's not an organised alternative teaching method to youngens. It's not a religion. Don't treat it as one. Because that's where the problem stasts. While not a religion, it is a stance on the subject of religion. An atheist is not an unbiased entity. I believe the reason that religious individuals erroneously label atheism as a religion is due in part to the claim to it being an unbiased stance that has scientific support. Atheism does not have scientific support, theism has a lack of scientific support. The lack of support for the opposition cannot be taken as support for one's own position. It is an anti-religious stance, so it can be an anti-religion, dependant on the behavior of the individual/group.

Atheists that organize in any manner have in essence attained many of the aspects that define a religion. They do have a dogma based on antithesis to theist claims. There are teachers of atheism, I have attended lectures given by educated individuals on the subject of God that were entirely based on an atheist stance. There are sets of rules governing atheist behavior, they may not be as solid or well documented, but they do exist.

Atheism is the denial or disbelief in any form of deity. It is the definition. The claim to the absence, or lack, of belief being atheism is fallacious. Atheism is a stance on the subject of deity, it is not a position of ignorance on the subject.

lil bitchiness
hmm You make an interesting point. I myself have also wondered how Buddhism fell into the religion catagory.

Wait, isn't it said that Buddha sat under a tree for 20 years or something?

Nah. Overexaggagerated story.

There is another one, that Buddha started walking as soon as he was born and the lotus was blooming undeneath his feet.

Also, not true...or believed. blink As far as I know anyway.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Impediment
I agree with you on that note, however, some atheists I know would dare to go as far and call Madalyn O'Hair the "prophet" of atheists. While she did dedicate her life to atheism and helped pave the road, she tried to make it into a religion of sorts. O'Hair's good friend Larry Flynt is quoted as saying, "If I could fault Madalyn for anything, it would be her making her atheism her religion. She was as feverish as they would be." We (Atheists) don't have a prophet or texts nor do we need them. However, I do hold a respect for O'Hair and what she did for atheism. thumb up Talking about atheist prophecies, I believe that if anyone should be called "The prophet of atheism", it would be the englishman known as Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626). Because it was he who thought of the philosophy where people aren't to serve god, rather they are to serve themself.

http://www.luminarium.org/sevenlit/bacon/

Impediment
the philosophy where people aren't to serve god, rather they are to serve themself.

The Satanist also shares similar views, that self gratification and happiness during your time on Earth is better than serving a mythological figure.

lord xyz
Hinduism

Book: Karma Bhagavad Gita
Symbol: Aum, Swastika That was a typo. embarrasment Karma was supposed to go in the beliefs section.

Gregory
Talking about atheist prophets is sort silly no matter who you choose.

I think that some schools of Buddhism can definitely be clasified as religious; at it's root, it's just a philosophy.

lord xyz
The Satanist also shares similar views, that self gratification and happiness during your time on Earth is better than serving a mythological figure. Personally, I agree. I'm my own man, I was created by sex, not a wizard in the sky.

Alliance

Here's your problem. There is no "doctrine."

If the only thing unifying a group of people is one principle, then poltical parties are more religious than atheism.

lord xyz
hmm You make an interesting point. I myself have also wondered how Buddhism fell into the religion catagory.

Wait, isn't it said that Buddha sat under a tree for 20 years or something? Oh yeah, Hinduism is also a kind of philosophy/religion mix. Meaning it's philosophical aswell as religious. Things like Karma for example.
Originally posted by Gregory
Talking about atheist prophets is sort silly no matter who you choose.

I think that some schools of Buddhism can definitely be clasified as religious; at it's root, it's just a philosophy. Agreed.

FeceMan
Only a Fundamentalist would say something like that. sadyes

Atheism is not the belief there is no god, most atheist don't know or understand the concept of god. Also, in religion, these beliefs have to be about something not the denial of something.
I guess the dictionary was written by fundamentalists.
Originally posted by Alliance
Here's your problem. There is no "doctrine."

If the only thing unifying a group of people is one principle, then poltical parties are more religious than atheism.
Don't blame me, blame the dictionary.

Storm
Atheism is not a belief system. It doesn' t consist of an integrated system of doctrines, beliefs, and ideas that are used to provide guidance and stability in people' s lives. Atheism implies no further belief system. It implies no beliefs about politics, no philosophy, no beliefs about society, no beliefs about science, no beliefs about religion. If you know that a person is an atheist, then you know that he or she lacks belief in gods. Nothing more, nothing less. Atheism can be part of a religion, but it can' t be a religion by itself.

FeceMan
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism

kthx

King Kandy
Atheism is disbelief. Agnosticism is lack of belief.

Alliance
I guess the dictionary was written by fundamentalists.

Don't blame me, blame the dictionary.

Its well known that dictionaried give populist and common definitions of terms. Dictionarty defintinons are rearely used in scholarly research because they are simply inadequate.

I'd never use a dictionary for a defintion fo a scientific or philisophical concept. You instead use the true definiton created by researchers in the field.

FeceMan
Its well known that dictionaried give populist and common definitions of terms. Dictionarty defintinons are rearely used in scholarly research because they are simply inadequate.

I'd never use a dictionary for a defintion fo a scientific or philisophical concept. You instead use the true definiton created by researchers in the field.
kk

Tell that to the people here who cite the dictionary like it's Scripture itself.

And I already said that atheism isn't a religion, by the way.

Alliance
I know.

The elitst in me says that the average man is dumb. I've done the dictionary battle before. 13 year olds just dont get it, do they?

lord xyz
Dictionary.com is just a website, it could say that poo means chinese food, that doesn't make it true, does it?

FeceMan
Dictionary.com is just a website, it could say that poo means chinese food, that doesn't make it true, does it?
Don't even try that. It's an online dictionary; I even count Wikipedia as being valid.

Alliance
Wikipedia is only a semi-credible source.

lord xyz
Wikipedia is only a semi-credible source. yep.

Gregory
So wait ... if you don't think dictionaries are authoratative for philosophical beliefs, and you don't think atheism is a religion even though you found a dictionary definition that might connceivible support claiming that it is, then what ... I mean ...

If you don't think the dictionary is accurate for philosophical definitions, and you disagree with the implications of the definition you're quoting, then why, exactly, are you letting us know dictionary.com's take on this matter?

Alliance
Valid question.

Storm

So, technically, atheism is a religion. Of course, that's being annoying and adhering to the strictest of definitions (something that some members of KMC have difficulty with in the first place).
The best definition of religion I have seen is in The Encyclopedia of Philosophy. It lists traits of religions rather than declaring religion to be one thing or another, arguing that the more markers present in a belief system, the more "religious like" it is:
Belief in supernatural beings (gods).
A distinction between sacred and profane objects.
Ritual acts focused on sacred objects.
A moral code believed to be sanctioned by the gods.
Characteristically religious feelings (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration), which tend to be aroused in the presence of sacred objects and during the practice of ritual, and which are connected in idea with the gods.
Prayer and other forms of communication with gods.
A world view, or a general picture of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. This picture contains some specification of an over-all purpose or point of the world and an indication of how the individual fits into it.
A more or less total organization of one's life based on the world view.
A social group bound together by the above.

ThePittman

Alliance
Yes, but it consistantly amazes me that the most basic research isn't taught in schools.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Storm
The best definition of religion I have seen is in The Encyclopedia of Philosophy. It lists traits of religions rather than declaring religion to be one thing or another, arguing that the more markers present in a belief system, the more "religious like" it is:
Characteristically religious feelings (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration), which tend to be aroused in the presence of sacred objects and during the practice of ritual, and which are connected in idea with the gods.
A world view, or a general picture of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. This picture contains some specification of an over-all purpose or point of the world and an indication of how the individual fits into it.
A social group bound together by the above.
That is a good definition.

However, so many people seem to think that what the dictionary says is infallible. It's a lot like playing D&D with the rules-as-written--interpreting the rules exactly as they are written leads to retarded things.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Storm
A social group bound together by the above. And surpirse surprise, none of those things are what Atheists do.

Nellinator
And surpirse surprise, none of those things are what Atheists do.
They do organize their life around their worldview in many ways though. I tend to define religion as a worldview and that would classify atheism as a religion. However, classically, I suppose that it isn't.

Alliance
There is a difference between religion and a religous philosophy.

Literalism is a religous philosophy (it can be aplied to all relgions and things outside). It is a way of thinking.

Athiesm is similar to a religous philosophy.

Nellinator
There is a difference between religion and a religous philosophy.

Literalism is a religous philosophy (it can be aplied to all relgions and things outside). It is a way of thinking.

Athiesm is similar to a religous philosophy.
Basically.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Nellinator
They do organize their life around their worldview in many ways though. I tend to define religion as a worldview and that would classify atheism as a religion. However, classically, I suppose that it isn't. I guess Socialism is also a religion then, huh?

Nellinator
I guess Socialism is also a religion then, huh?
For some people.

Alliance
No, not for anyone.

lord xyz
Only for morons.

Nellinator
No, not for anyone.
Some people are fantasically devoted to socialism, would die for it, kill for it. Pretty "religious" if you ask me. It really depends on how loose your definition of religion is.

Alliance
No, thats called devotion. You can be religious and not be devoted. You can like anything a lot.

Then any government could be considered a religion. Thats clearly not the case.

lord xyz
Some people are fantasically devoted to socialism, would die for it, kill for it. Pretty "religious" if you ask me. It really depends on how loose your definition of religion is. hmm Interseting. did you know that most of Hezbullah are socialist and/or communist?

Nellinator
hmm Interseting. did you know that most of Hezbullah are socialist and/or communist?
No.

lord xyz
No. Well, they are! But that doesn't make socialism a religion.

Nellinator
Well, they are! But that doesn't make socialism a religion.
I never said it did.

ThePittman
Well most religions can also be considered a cult as well.

ThePittman

Regret

ThePittman
Originally posted by Regret
I do hope that was supposed to be physics... eek! duuuh

laughing one of my common messups like form and from and fourm stick out tongue

lord xyz
Originally posted by ThePittman
duuuh

laughing one of my common messups like form and from and fourm stick out tongue Don't worry about it, I read it as physics.

edit: I also read fourm as forum.

Regret
duuuh

laughing one of my common messups like form and from and fourm stick out tongue stick out tongue Np. There are some that post in these forums that would think psychics were a valid educational topic... Had to make you clear for them wink

ThePittman
Originally posted by Regret
stick out tongue Np. There are some that post in these forums that would think psychics were a valid educational topic... Had to make you clear for them wink laughing I'm better at art then spelling stick out tongue

Alliance

Emo?
Only a Fundamentalist would say something like that. sadyes

So atheists DO believe in a god? messed so then they ARE a religion! roll eyes (sarcastic)

You either do or ou don't, that what i say stick out tongue

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by Emo?
So atheists DO believe in a god? messed so then they ARE a religion! roll eyes (sarcastic)

You either do or ou don't, that what i say stick out tongue

No.

Then you have a very one dimensional view of the world.

§P0oONY
Atheism is simply the rejection of all other religions. So no, it's not a Religion.

Emo?
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
No.

Then you have a very one dimensional view of the world.

Atheists think they are god in their own special way. They only do things THEY want themselves to do(replacing a god telling them), which isn't always the right way, leading to greed, jealousy, murder even, because they only think about themselves unless they want to think about others. Meaning all that controls them is someone else forcing them.

RocasAtoll
Atheists think they are god in their own special way. They only do things THEY want themselves to do(replacing a god telling them), which isn't always the right way, leading to greed, jealousy, murder even, because they only think about themselves unless they want to think about others. Meaning all that controls them is someone else forcing them.

Wow. Shut up. Please. You're offending half the forum here and alot of my friends by overgeneralizing.

Alliance

1. This doesn't even make logical sense even if you accept all your assertions are true.

2. Your assertions aren't true.

What is your evidence for this, or are you just here to spew unbased opinons all over the web?

Emo?
1. This doesn't even make logical sense even if you accept all your assertions are true.

2. Your assertions aren't true.

What is your evidence for this, or are you just here to spew unbased opinons all over the web?

Ok, when you see a poor person on the street, you could help them, who's rules do you follow, yours? or gods?

§P0oONY
Atheists think they are god in their own special way. They only do things THEY want themselves to do(replacing a god telling them), which isn't always the right way, leading to greed, jealousy, murder even, because they only think about themselves unless they want to think about others. Meaning all that controls them is someone else forcing them. Athiest's don't think their God... The whole point of Athiesm is to reject the idea of God(s)... Therefor your post just isn't logical.

RocasAtoll
Ok, when you see a poor person on the street, who's rules do you follow, yours? or gods?

Yours. That means charity. Charity does NOT only stem from God.

Alliance
Ok, when you see a poor person on the street, you could help them, who's rules do you follow, yours? or gods?

Which god? I don't actually give to people on the street because many of them are scammers. I prefer to donate my time cooking meals for homeless shelters and working at the Chicago food depository.

§P0oONY

Since when are there rules to act to a homeless person? Just because a person is Athiest it doesn't mean they can't be kind and generous. They can do the "Christian" thing without actually believing in the religion.

lord xyz

Emo?
Yours. That means charity. Charity does NOT only stem from God.

Ok, that's good.

Lets say you have a burger in your hand, and you was far from anywhere else to get food, and you yourself was starving, nevermind the poor person. what then?

§P0oONY
Then why did you say all other religions?

You got me there... Touche.

lord xyz

You either do or ou don't, that what i say stick out tongue WTF are you talking about, I didn't say that ****tard.

Emo?
And whichever god you want.

Emo?
WTF are you talking about, I didn't say that ****tard.

seesh, only joking.

lord xyz
Atheists think they are god in their own special way. They only do things THEY want themselves to do(replacing a god telling them), which isn't always the right way, leading to greed, jealousy, murder even, because they only think about themselves unless they want to think about others. Meaning all that controls them is someone else forcing them. If only that was true.

RocasAtoll
Ok, that's good.

Lets say you have a burger in your hand, and you was far from anywhere else to get food, and you yourself was starving, nevermind the poor person. what then?

What would a Christian do? They'd ignore them.

Me? I'd eat the burger. You? You would too.

§P0oONY
Ok, that's good.

I'd walk straight past...

I don't give food to homeless people... I sometimes buy a big issue but that's my limit... If you give food to one homeless person then you have to do it to everyone you walk past. If you never give any of them then you can't feel guilty.

lord xyz

Emo?
What would a Christian do? They'd ignore them.

Me? I'd eat the burger. You? You would too.

Does the bible say that? nonono i don't think so... "think of others before yourself".

So you was thinking yourself as a god then? thinking of yourself asthough you were more important than the poor person?

lord xyz
seesh, only joking. Somehow I doubt that.

RocasAtoll
Does the bible say that? nonono i don't think so... "think of others before yourself".

Do Christians follow the bible to the T? Nonononono.

§P0oONY

**** the Bible, Think for yourself.

lord xyz

So you was thinking yourself as a god then? thinking of yourself asthough you were more important than the poor person? If that is an absolute, and the right thing to do, it would be an instinct. The way I see it, instincts are the only thing right because we do it without thinking.

lord xyz

Emo?
If that is an absolute, and the right thing to do, it would be an instinct. The way I see it, instincts are the only thing right because we do it without thinking.

It isn't instinct, if we do the right thing without thinking, killing someone without thinking is right.

RocasAtoll
It isn't instinct, if we do the right thing without thinking, killing someone without thinking is right.

It also isn't considered a damning sin.

Emo?
Do Christians follow the bible to the T? Nonononono.

They try to, they atleast TRY. Nobody is perfect.

RocasAtoll

And again, a Christian would do the same as me, no matter how "devout" they were.

Alliance

Menaing that you are not perfect meaning that in a plural society, you do not have the right ot judge anyone because they don't conform to your relative standards.

lord xyz
Emo, did you read my first post?

Emo?
And again, a Christian would do the same as me, no matter how "devout" they were.
Wait a second, there is a less chance if
1. The rules of the country say you shouldn't
2. a god says you shouldn;t

But with atheism there is only no1

Alliance
whatever

No. His point is that there is no correlation between morality and religion.

{edit} This used to make sense, but then Emo?s post changed. stick out tongue

lord xyz
true

Emo?
Lol editted

Emo?

No, a christian is more likely to help them than you, because you don't have to, i would atleast share it. smile

Capt_Fantastic
No, a christian is more likely to help them than you, because you don't have to, i would atleast share it. smile

And why do you have to? Because you won't get into heaven if you don't? That seems kind of selfish to me. If you help someone for your own benefit, you aren't practicing what Jesus preached. You're only doing it for yourself. That would make Jesus ashamed.

Emo?
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
And why do you have to? Because you won't get into heaven if you don't? That seems kind of selfish to me. If you help someone for your own benefit, you aren't practicing what Jesus preached. You're only doing it for yourself. That would make Jesus ashamed.

You really think i'm doing this because of that? you can think what you like, but i wouldn't be trying to tell you this if i could simply get to heaven without doing so smile i don't need to be telling you this, i have been "hypocritical" on here before you know. I'm just doing this cause i believe that's what god wants me to do, even though it doesn't make any difference about going to heaven.

lord xyz
You really think i'm doing this because of that? you can think what you like, but i wouldn't be trying to tell you this if i could simply get to heaven without doing so smile i don't need to be telling you this, i have been "hypocritical" on here before you know. I'm just doing this cause i believe that's what god wants me to do, even though it doesn't make any difference about going to heaven. You're a joke.

lord xyz
No, a christian is more likely to help them than you, because you don't have to, i would atleast share it. smile And a christian is less likely to solve a cure for a disease.

debbiejo
It's a strong belief that can heal someones ailments...Not a certain god, but the belief in that thing....could be any strong belief.

JesusIsAlive

Christianity

Supernatural Beliefs: God, The Trinity, the life of Jesus, Moses, angels, the devil, heavan n hell, noah, Adam n Eve etc.
Prophet: Jesus (and possibly the very first people who actually wrote the Bible)
Book: Bible
Building: Church/Chaple
Teachers: Priest/Vicar < Bishop < Pope/Ruler of England
Symbol: Cross

Judaisism

Supernatural Beliefs: God, Adam n Eve, Moses, David, the devil, heavan n hell, Noah etc.
Prophet: Moses (I think)
Book: Torah
Building: Synagogue
Teacher: Rabbi
Symbol: 6 pointed star

Islam

Supernatural Beliefs: God, Heaven n Hell, The Earth being the centre of the world and no one able to leave it, Adam n Eve, the devil etc.
Prophet: Muhammed
Book: Quran
Building: Mosque
Teacher: Mullar < Cleric
Symbol: The moon n star

Sikhism

Supernatural Beliefs: God, the life of the ten gurus
Prophet: Guru Nanak
Book: Guru Granth Sahib
Building: Gurdwara
Symbol: Khanda

Hinduism

Book: Karma
Symbol: Aum, Swastika

Buddhism

Atheism

Supernatural Beliefs: None.
Prophet: None.
Book: None.
Building: None.
Teacher: None.
Symbol: None.

There is no such animal as an absence of belief for even if an atheist does not believe, there decision to not believe constitutes a belief. Atheist do believe something: they believe (wholeheartedly and sincerely) that God does not exist. That is there belief. It is a negative belief but still a belief nonetheless.

Capt_Fantastic
You really think i'm doing this because of that? you can think what you like, but i wouldn't be trying to tell you this if i could simply get to heaven without doing so smile i don't need to be telling you this, i have been "hypocritical" on here before you know. I'm just doing this cause i believe that's what god wants me to do, even though it doesn't make any difference about going to heaven.

Doing what? I've not seen you 'do' anything. I'm addressing your use of the phrase "you don't have to" in regards to helping someone. Which implies you feel you do have to help someone. Some where between "don't have to" and "doesn't make any difference about going to heaven" you've got to admit there's a bit of a disparity in your position.

Impediment
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
Atheist do believe something: they believe (wholeheartedly and sincerely) that God does not exist. That is there belief. It is a negative belief but still a belief nonetheless.

Why is it negative, JIA? That would be like me saying that your belief in Jesus is negative. Say what you will, but calling another person's belief negative, to me, is very close minded and ignorant.

JesusIsAlive
Why is it negative, JIA? That would be like me saying that your belief in Jesus is negative. Say what you will, but calling another person's belief negative, to me, is very close minded and ignorant.

You haven't heard that one of my pet peeves if you would is being misquoted. I said that there belief is "a" negative meaning that it is the opposite. I did not say that it is negative. Believe it or not there is a difference pal. But since you brought up the subject atheism is negative. There is nothing good about it. The fool has said in his heart that there is no God.

Impediment
But since you brought up the subject atheism is negative. There is nothing good about it. The fool has said in his heart that there is no God.

Again, you're bashing beliefs, trying to make your beliefs superior to others than your own.

xmarksthespot
You haven't heard that one of my pet peeves if you would is being misquoted. I said that there belief is "a" negative meaning that it is the opposite. I did not say that it is negative. Believe it or not there is a difference pal. But since you brought up the subject atheism is negative. There is nothing good about it. The fool has said in his heart that there is no God. Fact 1) You understand nothing about the various forms of atheism.
Fact 2) Christianity is a based on ideas and rituals appropriated from other (pagan) religions. The current state of the Bible having undergone various translations, omissions and falsifications in no way resembles how it was originally written - you sanctify a false idol.
Fact 3) Your haughty attitude and preaching are sickening and you're a hypocrite.

The fool is the one who has said there is your god and only your god.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Fact 1) You understand nothing about the various forms of atheism.
Fact 2) Christianity is a based on ideas and rituals appropriated from other (pagan) religions. The current state of the Bible having undergone various translations, omissions and falsifications in no way resembles how it was originally written - you sanctify a false idol.
Fact 3) Your haughty attitude and preaching are sickening and you're a hypocrite.

The fool is the one who has said there is your god and only your god.

Haughty attitude? How so X-women? (Don't get bent out of shape I am just joking.) First off I didn't call you or any atheist a fool--God did so throw your rocks at God. Express your tantrums at God not me.

Imperial_Samura
There is no such animal as an absence of belief for even if an atheist does not believe, there decision to not believe constitutes a belief. Atheist do believe something: they believe (wholeheartedly and sincerely) that God does not exist. That is there belief. It is a negative belief but still a belief nonetheless.

Doesn't change the fact that they are not believing in a God and thus different from a religion.

Belief alone does not make a person religious. I believe England will win the Ashes again this cricket season. I believe Australia wont. That doesn't make me religious or Cricket a religion.

You believe ina God, you follow a religion. An Atheist doesn't, thus they aren't following a religion. Atheist is lack of belief in a God, and religion has never been defined as also including "lack of belief in a God" since it requires belief in something of a religious belief to be a religion.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Doesn't change the fact that they are not believing in a God and thus different from a religion.

Belief alone does not make a person religious. I believe England will win the Ashes again this cricket season. I believe Australia wont. That doesn't make me religious or Cricket a religion.

You believe ina God, you follow a religion. An Atheist doesn't, thus they aren't following a religion. Atheist is lack of belief in a God, and religion has never been defined as also including "lack of belief in a God" since it requires belief in something of a religious belief to be a religion.

Buddy ole pal, I didn't say that it did change anything did I? Neither did I affirm that a belief made an atheist religious did I? I simply settled the fact that there is not an absence of belief as your boy xyz asserted. Ecumenically speaking atheists do believe something that is all I endeavored to establish, and that I did.

Imperial_Samura
Buddy ole pal, I didn't say that it did change anything did I? Neither did I affirm that a belief made an atheist religious did I? I simply settled the fact that there is not an absence of belief as your boy xyz asserted. Ecumenically speaking atheists do believe something that is all I endeavored to establish, and that I did.

Ok.

JesusIsAlive
Again, you're bashing beliefs, trying to make your beliefs superior to others than your own.

Tell me something Impediment: God says that the fool has said in his heart there is no God. If any person dies not believing that Jesus Christ is He (whatever Jesus meant by that) then according to the Bible they have died in their sins. Again, tell me what is good about dying in your sins? So to me atheism is negative.

Shakyamunison
Tell me something Impediment: God says that the fool has said in his heart there is no God. If any person dies not believing that Jesus Christ is He (whatever Jesus meant by that) then according to the Bible they have died in their sins. Again, tell me what is good about dying in your sins? So to me atheism is negative.

Assuming that your understand of the bible, and the bible its self, it true.

Imperial_Samura

At the risk of being accused at taking up someone else's argument...

To an atheist it isn't. An atheist doesn't believe there is a God, thus there are no sins - simply man made laws and concepts of right and wrong. For many Atheists religions are not right to them. Ergo they will not join them, as they believe they are doing what is right.

Someone once asked "but God might exist so why not cover all bases and just play along" - but to me that is intolerable. One should have conviction in what they are doing, as well as an open mind. The thought that there might be a Jesus is not reason enough to submit oneself to a religion that doesn't feel right and has moral and ethical problems in my view. Ergo an atheist is not dying in their sins in their eyes. They are living good full lives and then they will die and that will be it, and none of this is a negative. It is only by your definition that there is something wrong with atheism, something no atheist feels is justified.

Morgoths_Wrath
Again, tell me what is good about dying in your sins?

umm...better than dying for other people's sins embarrasment

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
umm...better than dying for other people's sins embarrasment

Dying in sin or dying for another's sins makes sin into something bigger then it really is. Sin is not a condition or a thing you can batter with. Sin is simple making mistakes.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Dying in sin or dying for another's sins makes sin into something bigger then it really is. Sin is not a condition or a thing you can batter with. Sin is simple making mistakes.

if sins are simply mistakes, then how can anyone say God hasn't sinned?

Imperial_Samura

eek! That is kind of the point I was trying to make to JIA in another thread, but he dodges so much.

Shakyamunison

If God is everything, then sin would be part of God.

Morgoths_Wrath
If God is everything, then sin would be part of God.

very confusing, this Christianity

Shakyamunison

I'm not a Christian.

JesusIsAlive

Friend, sin is not a "simple mistake". Sin is transgressing, violating, or breaking God's Word (or Law, they are tantamount). Sin is a trespass against God's standard of righteousness. The penalty is so severe that it alienates us from God's love and separates us from God (the Source of all life), thus causing death to the transgressor.

Shakyamunison
Friend, sin is not a "simple mistake". Sin is transgressing, violating, or breaking God's Word (or law, they are tantamount). Sin is a trespass against God's standard of righteousness. The penalty is so severe that it separates us from God (the Source of all life) thus causing death to the transgressor.

This standard of righteousness is found in a book written my man.

Morgoths_Wrath
Friend, sin is not a "simple mistake". Sin is transgressing, violating, or breaking God's Word (or Law, they are tantamount). Sin is a trespass against God's standard of righteousness. The penalty is so severe that it alienates us from God's love and separates us from God (the Source of all life), thus causing death to the transgressor.

but there is...forgiveness of sins, right? angel

JesusIsAlive

JesusIsAlive

God is not everything Morgoths, that is defined as pantheism.

Shakyamunison
God is not everything Morgoths, that is defined as pantheism.

Then there is something greater then your god.

JesusIsAlive

That is why I (and others who've confessed Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior) are here to help you Morgoths. We are here to help you and anyone else understand the gospel (i.e. the good news for this is what gospel means).

xmarksthespot
Haughty attitude? How so X-women? (Don't get bent out of shape I am just joking.) First off I didn't call you or any atheist a fool--God did so throw your rocks at God. Express your tantrums at God not me. Oh be quiet you mindless plebian.

Storm
Haughty attitude? How so X-women? (Don't get bent out of shape I am just joking.) First off I didn't call you or any atheist a fool--God did so throw your rocks at God. Express your tantrums at God not me.
That' s a deliberate abdication of personal responsibility. You pick and choose, deciding how to best interpret and implement what you read based on your beliefs and prejudices. This makes you personally responsible for what you say.

Emo?
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Doing what? I've not seen you 'do' anything. I'm addressing your use of the phrase "you don't have to" in regards to helping someone. Which implies you feel you do have to help someone. Some where between "don't have to" and "doesn't make any difference about going to heaven" you've got to admit there's a bit of a disparity in your position.

I'm sticking up for my religion, and have done on here before, even if it was an attempt that i might not be good at, i still try. Also i'm doing this for other people (thinking about them), because i believe there is a god and i don't want people going to hell, so to try and make people think might change that. I don't HAVE to try and do this, i could simply just stop posting here right now.

RocasAtoll
I'm sticking up for my religion, and have done on here before, even if it was an attempt that i might not be good at, i still try. Also i'm doing this for other people (thinking about them), because i believe there is a god and i don't want people going to hell, so to try and make people think might change that. I don't HAVE to try and do this, i could simply just stop posting here right now.

Then STOP POSTING please.

xmarksthespot
I'm sticking up for my religion, and have done on here before, even if it was an attempt that i might not be good at, i still try. Also i'm doing this for other people (thinking about them), because i believe there is a god and i don't want people going to hell, so to try and make people think might change that. I don't HAVE to try and do this, i could simply just stop posting here right now. No one here wants or needs your "salvation".

lord xyz
Friend, sin is not a "simple mistake". Sin is transgressing, violating, or breaking God's Word (or Law, they are tantamount). Sin is a trespass against God's standard of righteousness. The penalty is so severe that it alienates us from God's love and separates us from God (the Source of all life), thus causing death to the transgressor. And sinse we're all born with sin, we are all born against god, because our ancestors Adam and Eve were against god. And by confessing our sins we get to be with god when we die.

Wouldn't it make more sense that when we confess we automatically go to heaven?

lord xyz
There is no such animal as an absence of belief for even if an atheist does not believe, there decision to not believe constitutes a belief. Atheist do believe something: they believe (wholeheartedly and sincerely) that God does not exist. That is there belief. It is a negative belief but still a belief nonetheless. It is not a belief it's the denial of a belief or a concept.

ThePittman
You haven't heard that one of my pet peeves if you would is being misquoted. I said that there belief is "a" negative meaning that it is the opposite. I did not say that it is negative. Believe it or not there is a difference pal. But since you brought up the subject atheism is negative. There is nothing good about it. The fool has said in his heart that there is no God. Now who is attacking who now.

I like you new way of insulting people then trying to cover it up saying it was a joke, very holy of you. If you say ā€œwith all due respect, your and a$$holeā€ you have still called them and ā€œa$$holeā€.

Impediment
That is why I (and others who've confessed Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior) are here to help you Morgoths. We are here to help you and anyone else understand the gospel (i.e. the good news for this is what gospel means).

Again with the name calling, JIA. You are truly a hippocrite. First it was Crosspatch, now it's Morgoth..............What would Jesus say?

lord xyz
I'm still shocked at how people can be this ****ed. Really, how can their minds be so damaged?

Shakyamunison
Again with the name calling, JIA. You are truly a hippocrite. First it was Crosspatch, now it's Morgoth..............What would Jesus say?

He was not calling anyone names. roll eyes (sarcastic)

lord xyz
fvget

JesusIsAlive

But you were a crosspatch (i.e. a grouch). I call a spade a spade. There is such a thing as a grouch. Morgoth is a forum name.

Strangelove
Well most religions can also be considered a cult as well. I've always wondered what the difference was between a religion and a cult. If 100 million people join a cult, does it become a religion?

(I did in fact read the rest of the thread, don't worry)

lord xyz
Originally posted by Strangelove
I've always wondered what the difference was between a religion and a cult. If 100 million people join a cult, does it become a religion?

(I did in fact read the rest of the thread, don't worry) A religion is organised.

Shakyamunison
A religion is organised.

So are some cults.

lord xyz
So are some cults. Then I have no idea. srug

Shakyamunison
Then I have no idea. srug

Popularity... If you are small and a threat to the big religions, you are called a cult. However, if you become one of the big religions because everyone joins, you are no longer a cult.

Strangelove
Using dictionary.com (realizing the discussion previous):

Cult- a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
Religion- a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>