Starcraft 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soljer
I just searched for anything starcraft related, and found very few results. So, here is this thread. The bulk of which may very well be the responses "NOW!" and "NEVER!"

However, these two links might lighten the hearts of some of my comrades:

http://www.blizzplanet.com/?action=news&id=893

http://pc.ign.com/articles/727/727892p1.html

Big news in 2007, and they're hiring an RTS game balance designer.

Starcraft 2 will be damn near the biggest news in the gaming COMMUNITY. Hopefully that's the big news in 2007.

Mišt
I was just thinking about this a few days ago, I cant wait for a sequel (if they make one)

IceJaw
shock

Ushgarak
You know, I think the issue is that Blizzard really does not awant to just do a 3-d Starcraft, Starcraft updated like Warcraft 3.

Oddly enough, Starcraft itself was highly traditional, it was just the best and most balanced blend that was ever done in the genre.

How do you improve on that? In a straightforward sense, it would be nearly impossible.

No, they want to do something innovative, to push boundaries and so on. But working out exactly how to do that is a killer. And Blizzard are happy to sit on ideas or even cancel them if they don't think they are going to make the grade.

Kaled
yeah, well unlike some they can afford to can't they?

i would perfer there to bo no starcraft 2 than one thats no up to expectation, me and my friend play it all the time still.

Soljer
Originally posted by Ushgarak
You know, I think the issue is that Blizzard really does not awant to just do a 3-d Starcraft, Starcraft updated like Warcraft 3.

Oddly enough, Starcraft itself was highly traditional, it was just the best and most balanced blend that was ever done in the genre.

How do you improve on that? In a straightforward sense, it would be nearly impossible.

No, they want to do something innovative, to push boundaries and so on. But working out exactly how to do that is a killer. And Blizzard are happy to sit on ideas or even cancel them if they don't think they are going to make the grade.

I'm aware. I think that is the main reason it's taken even THIS long to even imagine Starcraft 2. The original was damn near perfection - incredibly balanced, involving storyline, great interface. Like was mentioned...how do you improve upon that?

Who knows? But Blizzard knows for fact that it would be economically inviable to NOT do Starcraft 2. The original was one of the best selling games of all time. The damn thing is a decade old, and is still selling copies, still has a following in the tens of thousands playing online per day. It is played competitively across the world for (sometimes, VERY) large sums of money.

Blizzard knows they left a huge unexplored avenue open with the ending of Brood War. They know that the fans want a culmination to the story.

However, they also know it'll be hard to improve upon perfection.

Still, if Blizzard is Hiring an RTS game balancer, we know they are working on something. Either Starcraft 2, Warcraft 4, or a new RTS series.

AND, we've heard that Blizzard is slated to let us know some big news come 2007. While any of the three possibilities would be considered news, what would be the most earth-shattering, fan-response-wise? Starcraft mother ****in 2.

It's all speculation right now, but I am hoping and praying that it's what Blizzard has in store. Warcraft just can't compare. Diablo just can't compare.

Starcraft is where it is at. And Hopefully, we'll be seeing the next step in that direction in the upcoming months.

Announced in Jan 2007? Out in Jan 2010? Me owning people left and right, without sleep, in the days following. smile.

El_NINO
The most shattering would be World of Starcraft big grin

Soljer
Originally posted by El_NINO
The most shattering would be World of Starcraft big grin

Hell.

No.

Nothing would compare to Starcraft 2. Not RPG Starcraft, not warcraft 7, not diablo 9 (battle the son of satan's third cousin's son's best friend!). None of it.

Starcraft 2.

*drools*

Swe_Bum
LOOL!! laughing

((The_Anomaly))
I gave up on blizzard because of they're refusal to make a Star Craft 2 (despite EXTREME demand for it) its been like 10 years, and they just wont do it. Then they completely cancelled Star Craft Ghost, which is was really looking forward too.

I hate blizzard.

The fans make the games popular, and give them they're money, and they're complete refusal to give us what we want (which is they're job) and not make a SC2 is actually insulting, because we're the ones that bought they're games, and made them who they are. Without the fans, gaming companies are nothing.

Blizzard needs to get off they're make believe throne and stop being cocky bastards and make a SC2. I don't want anymore frigging warcraft expansions!

Blizzard should be boycotted until they get some sense.

Blanka
starcraft is waay better than warcraft

Soljer
Originally posted by Blanka
starcraft is waay better than warcraft

Understatement of the decade, my friend.

Ushgarak
I am afraid El Nino is right, Soljer. You talk about economics? The most economically viable thing for them to do would be to make Worlds of Starcraft, not Starcraft 2. That much is sadly obvious.

If they make Starcraft 2, the decision will be creative, not financial.

Soljer
I am afraid El Nino is right, Soljer. You talk about economics? The most economically viable thing for them to do would be to make Worlds of Starcraft, not Starcraft 2. That much is sadly obvious.

Do you really believe so? World of Starcraft would require the monthy fee, would it not? So they would make more change that way.

However, I can't imagine a single store country-wide managing to stay in stock if Starcraft 2 hits the shelves. Beyond all the hype, and some of the fanboyish things I may say, Starcraft 2 really is one of the most anticipated games. Ever.

Putting it up might break records, it would be unbelievable. World of Starcraft would have interest, no doubt, it would sell well, no doubt. But it wouldn't FLY off the friggin shelves for months. It wouldn't break any records.

Not to mention the fact that many Starcraft fans might feel slightly offended; "World of Starcraft?! I want my god damned RTS back!"

If you know what I mean. It was much the feeling when Starcraft Ghost was announced - everyone wanted a Starcraft 2, so even though many were interested in Ghost, and would buy Ghost, they were still a bit offended at the fact that Blizzard is just sitting idly-by and not touching Starcraft 2.

Regardless of economic viability, fact is, they are hiring an RTS Game Balancer. I can really only think of three possibilities for needing that job; Starcraft 2, Warcraft 4, or a new series. Which is the most likely at this moment? **** if I know.

I'm praying for Starcraft 2, though. big grin.

Ushgarak
Err, no, I am afraid you are fairly much wrong on all counts there, Soljer. WoW has made them far more money than Starcraft ever did, and furthermore Blizzard's own financial planning has already concluded that the best way to make money would be to MMO Starcraft (and, for that matter, Diablo).

Nope, financial pressure is solidly for the MMO route, so as I say, the decision would have to be creative. Luckily for youm, they have already hinted that they want to make creative decisions rather than just be MMO makers.

Soljer
Err, no, I am afraid you are fairly much wrong on all counts there, Soljer. WoW has made them far more money than Starcraft ever did, and furthermore Blizzard's own financial planning has already concluded that the best way to make money would be to MMO Starcraft (and, for that matter, Diablo).

Nope, financial pressure is solidly for the MMO route, so as I say, the decision would have to be creative. Luckily for youm, they have already hinted that they want to make creative decisions rather than just be MMO makers.

Wait? Since when? I've done quite a bit of research, and I've always concluded that the money they made from Starcraft, when inflation is considered, was A) More than they've made from pretty much the entire Warcraft series and B) Even better than the MMO demands they've gotten.

Any links to this financial examination?

Kaled

nahhh, talking from a business angle its seems they will wait until WoW gets unpopular then use starcraft, if they do it too soon they might shoot themselves in the foot stick out tongue Sides they will do starcraft 2, then starcraft 2 expansion then do world of starcraft like they did with warcraft.

infact when we first heard WoW was coming out my sister got the name wrong becuase she took the message from my uncle who was telling us, so we thought it was world of starcraft in the first place, we were dissappointed when it was world of warcraft. sad

Röland
Since some of the responses have said what I'm going to I won't go into depth.

Has much has I would love to see SC 2, I was a huge fan of the SC and BW, it is highly unlikely because of WoW. WoW has millions of customers world wide, as long as WoW is thriving and still going strong especially with BC coming out soon, I think SC 2 will stay shelved.

Mišt
Originally posted by Soljer
Wait? Since when? I've done quite a bit of research, and I've always concluded that the money they made from Starcraft, when inflation is considered, was A) More than they've made from pretty much the entire Warcraft series and B) Even better than the MMO demands they've gotten.

Any links to this financial examination?

I doubt it...even if every Starcraft player had WoW, theres still the cost of game + subscription to play it online + expansion....no way Starcraft can top it financially.

Ushgarak
Indeed so. The financing from WoW dwarves every title Blizzard have ever made.

Like I say, Blizzard's own financial department has made a very clear case for turning all their franchises into MMOs as the best way forward, financially.

IceJaw
Originally posted by Soljer
Understatement of the decade, my friend. Nah, I kinda agree with him, but that's mostly cuz I prefer high tech stuff erm

Soljer
Originally posted by IceJaw
Nah, I kinda agree with him, but that's mostly cuz I prefer high tech stuff erm

Uhhh..I said that I agreed with him as well. He mentioned that Starcraft is SO much better than Warcraft. I agreed, simply to a greater degree. I fail to understand how you could possibly agree with one of us, and totally disagree with the other.

Maybe to the extent? But not to the actual choice. erm.

Lyna303
well Starcraft's battlenet is free...and its better for people who don't wanna pay...like me...

i guess it doesn't make blizzard much money, but starcraft is easier accessible

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.