How does Will NOT know his father is a Pirate?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CaptinJackLover
Ok i just want to know why Will does not know his father is a pirate...(well i mean ovbiously NOW he does but like in the very begininng he didnt)

First of all when he gets saved by Elizabeth he is TOTALLY old enough to remember things...its not like he was 2 years old or somehitng that he cant remember who his father is or that his father was a pirate, right?

AND, how could he not know what the pirate medallion thing was a PIRATE medallion and that his father, a PIRATE, gave it to him. He wouldnt forget that it was his.

Did him getting stuck in the battle thing between the two ships like cause memory loss or somehitng? and if it did then he wouldnt even remember that his father was a "merchant" or whatever...im totally confused...somebody plz clear this up for me erm

Surreal_44
Will's mother told him that his father was a merchant. That's pretty much all there was to it. I don't know if his mum didn't know that Bill was a pirate or not, but both his parents kept him in the dark about what his father did.

As far as him not knowing that it was a pirate's medallion, we don't know for sure that Will didn't classify it as 'piratey'. Bootstrap sent it to him while he was still at sea, and he may have mentioned that it could have been piratey, or maybe he did say it was from an exotic land. We don't know much about that. smile

mmoviejunkie
i always kinda wondered maybe he sorta had an idea his father was a pirate, but was in denial, that's why he gets so pissed off when jack says his father was a pirate. throughout the first movie will REALLY hates pirates he doesn't just dislike them, so maybe he's mad at his father for leaving him and his mother for piracy.

Surreal_44
I think Will's utter dislike of pirates probably comes from having the ship he was crossing the sea in get blown to smithereens by pirates. Those particular pirates were not nearly as nice as Jack Sparrow is, and Will probably saw a tremendous amount of violence, not to mention he nearly drowned (remember how he gasped for air when he first came around on the Dauntless?).

That would probably not make me feel very kindly about pirates either. Will was in denial of his father being a pirate because he didn't want to associate the father that he loved with the violent men he had witnessed kill numerous innocent people.

mmoviejunkie
ooh very good point

Chiki Mina
All his life he has seen how bad pirates are and how much distruction they make like what they did when Will was a kid like Surreal mentioned.

he dont see pirates as ppl, just dirty pirates.

willofthewisp
That's what I've been saying all along. No one in Port Royal should like pirates because pirates by nature make everyone else's lives a living hell. Think about it. You make your living running your little store or whatever, and all of a sudden, these people come and steal your items, rape your wife and daughters, and set fire to your house and maybe your friends' houses too. These aren't nice people here.
Liz is really in the minority in that she sympathizes with pirates and is obsessed with them in a positive way. So I totally agree about that being the reason Will hates pirates. They've done nothing but try to kill him or make life difficult for him.

Chiki Mina
So its only natural of Will at first has a bad impression about pirates. But he cant judge them. There is such thing as a good pirate.

willofthewisp
I'm just saying that given his experiences, he would have no reason to believe there were good pirates. Again, what can be good about someone who steals and cheats for a living? I probably wouldn't like them if I lived in the Caribbean back then. The closest thing I can think of for the modern world is terrorists, but they have an agenda whereas pirates just do it for the hell of it.

mmoviejunkie
yep, but will seems to hate pirates much more than everyone else in port royal(well at least it seems that way to me)but he does have reasons, since they attacted his ship and are the reason why his mother drown and died(uh...she drown right?)

Chiki Mina
well, he needs to stop hating pirates bc he acts like one in DMC and especially in AWE lol. He will be the Darth Vader Pirate lol

Surreal_44
No, Will's mother didn't drown. He was on the ship as a cabin boy, I believe, trying to find his father.

Will has been given very little reason to like pirates. As willofthewisp said, the closest thing we can relate to pirates would be terrorists (I do know that there are still pirates out there, but they don't seem as common now).

If I were to tell you not to judge terrorists, a lot of you, if not all of you, would be horribly offended at that. Terrorists in general are not nice people, no matter what their agenda is or what their reasoning is for what they do. Their behavior is considered inexcusable, with good reason.

Will does not hate pirates more than almost anyone in Port Royal. He has a healthy dislike and distrust for them gained through experience, and probably from the stories of others.

So yes, Will's outlook on the world needs to change, but I don't think he needs to suddenly love all pirates, because we know that they aren't good. I think he'll need to learn to decide who is 'good' and who he needs to be more cautious around.

mmoviejunkie
haha

well in #1 jack says 'you know for having such a bad outlook on pirates you sure are on your way to becoming one.' so in AWE he'll probably become full out pirate and then with the obsessed with treasure-but its really elizabeth, i wonder if he's going to be really obsessed with her in AWE

mmoviejunkie
Originally posted by Surreal_44
No, Will's mother didn't drown. He was on the ship as a cabin boy, I believe, trying to find his father.

Will has been given very little reason to like pirates. As willofthewisp said, the closest thing we can relate to pirates would be terrorists (I do know that there are still pirates out there, but they don't seem as common now).

If I were to tell you not to judge terrorists, a lot of you, if not all of you, would be horribly offended at that. Terrorists in general are not nice people, no matter what their agenda is or what their reasoning is for what they do. Their behavior is considered inexcusable, with good reason.

Will does not hate pirates more than almost anyone in Port Royal. He has a healthy dislike and distrust for them gained through experience, and probably from the stories of others.

So yes, Will's outlook on the world needs to change, but I don't think he needs to suddenly love all pirates, because we know that they aren't good. I think he'll need to learn to decide who is 'good' and who he needs to be more cautious around.

so where's his mom then?

yeah they're still are pirates today, but not really common-obviously

Chiki Mina
Originally posted by mmoviejunkie
haha

well in #1 jack says 'you know for having such a bad outlook on pirates you sure are on your way to becoming one.' so in AWE he'll probably become full out pirate and then with the obsessed with treasure-but its really elizabeth, i wonder if he's going to be really obsessed with her in AWE

o0o0 Good point. I really want to see Will's attitude change, darker. I think it would be sexy lol..ahem back to subject.

Im not sure but, I believe Will's jelousy culd turn into an obsession with Liz.

mmoviejunkie
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
o0o0 Good point. I really want to see Will's attitude change, darker. I think it would be sexy lol..ahem back to subject.

Im not sure but, I believe Will's jelousy culd turn into an obsession with Liz.

yep, will darker will be much more better-he really looks much more hotter in the 2nd one 'cause he's in pirate clothes

but yeah hopefully it does become an obsession, and then liz is turned off and gets with jack-lol

Mistypirate
Originally posted by mmoviejunkie
yep, will darker will be much more better-he really looks much more hotter in the 2nd one 'cause he's in pirate clothes

but yeah hopefully it does become an obsession, and then liz is turned off and gets with jack-lol

Did you all noticed that Will's clothing in DMC resembled the one that DJ was wearing. And the clothes that J/L were wearing were almost identical. I don't know I though it was a curious thing Anyways I would like more Will's character if he becomes a bad ass. I would have more respect towards the character and I would like him more.

katelovespirate
me too. will needs to toughen up. lol.

IMO, Will and Liz both have this interesting trait for being in DENIAL for a lot of the film. Will is in denial about his dad being a pirate, and about acting like a pirate himself.

Liz is in denial about her overwhelming and all-consuming love for Captain Jack. big grin

mmoviejunkie
nope i didn't notice that (misty)

yep, i would have more respect for him too

Chiki Mina
Oh man...I really want to see Wills dark side. It would probably be kinki lol.

Surreal_44
I don't think Will's coat looks that much like Davy Jones'...DJ's coat seems like it has some gold on it, much like a captain or even a naval officer would wear. Although....now that I think about it, it could actually look similar to Will's coat in the wedding.

Not saying that it isn't possible for Will to stab the heart and all that, of course.

However, I can't help but wonder if the writers haven't tossed in a bunch of clues to point us in one direction, but then they won't just suddenly do something so unexpected that we won't all go "OMG, I never even saw that coming!"

I would totally dig that. In fact, I hope we're all completely wrong about everything and AWE just completely blows us all away. I love twisty plots. big grin

katelovespirate
movie 2 was incredibly kinky. look at it for a minute.

Jack is handcuffed during a hott make out session

Will gets whipped (after having his clothes ripped off) by a sadistic sea creature with lots of tentacles

Jack jumps into a kraken... cough cough...

Naked Lizzie jokes wreak havoc on the w/l ship

liz and the sadistic short man point guns at one another... metaphorically speaking

tia offers her "services" to various men

lizzie practices her "persuasion" skills.

barbossa eats another apple.

Okay, so that last one wasnt kinky, LOL... i just thought i'd throw it in. hehehe

Chiki Mina
I think Jack/Liz diggs into bondagge lol

Ok enough pervi stuff..I, gong to TRY to go to bed.

Buenas Noches XOXO KEEP THE FAITH!

Surreal_44
I like Beckett...there's something endearing about a short man who likes to dominate tall people. evil face He's one of my favorite characters. Too bad I want him to kick it in the third film. He's so lovely and yet so evil...and short....

Right, so Will and his dad and the whole pirate medallion...um, did anyone notice that the medallion looks vaguely like a compass, or is that my feverish brain just making something out of nothing? Don't all the little triangles point North, etc, and North-west, etc?

Meh, I'm going to bed. Night!

CaptinJackLover
Personally i dont like Beckett....o and im guessing you are short...

and yeah your right it does look sort of like a compass...ver good observation big grin

Chiki Mina
The guy who does beckett has worked with Keira in another movie. and i believe with Johnny Depp also.

shannstar79
Tom Hollander(Beckett) was in the Libertine w/ Johnny

shannstar79
he was in Pride and Predjuce with Keira

Chiki Mina
aha! i was right!! woohoo!!

Surreal_44
Oooh, if you can guess my gender I'll give you a cookie.

Jack Davenport was also in the Libertine with Tom Hollander and Johnny Depp. Woot. I need to see it.

And I do like Beckett...in the way that I love to hate him. He is awesome, how he manages to manipulate everyone. Beckett is the biggest pirate of them all. big grin

mmoviejunkie
...female-can i have a cookie??

mmm jack davenport and johnny depp in another movie together??gotta see that one!!

Surreal_44
Do you like peanut butter cookies? big grin big grin

mmoviejunkie
YES THEY'RE MY FAV.!!! big grin

Surreal_44
Mine too! But I'll share with you. *gives mmoviejunkie a cookie*

-savvychick-
how did a thread about will and his father end up on cookies...man we're sad...lol

evilm0nki3
MmMmM Cookies....

I bet Will and his father like cookies...

PirateDiva
Oooh, if you can guess my gender I'll give you a cookie.

Jack Davenport was also in the Libertine with Tom Hollander and Johnny Depp. Woot. I need to see it.

And I do like Beckett...in the way that I love to hate him. He is awesome, how he manages to manipulate everyone. Beckett is the biggest pirate of them all. big grin

You know u just sparked an idea..... I think the mark that JACK left on Beckett was that of a PIRATE too because maybe just maybe Beckett performed acts of piracy....and the reason Beckett wants this compass is to control DAVY to kill of piracy itself because there are pirates out there who know maybe what Beckett has done in the past and if that gets out he can loose his position in society and loose respect cause maybe he has an even bigger plan that he can only do by being in power (GOV.)!! I dont know just rambling but sounds like a possibility!!!

Chiki Mina
i got lost about the cookies

mmoviejunkie
Mine too! But I'll share with you. *gives mmoviejunkie a cookie*

yum! thank ya!

i got lost about the cookies

lol, 'cause you always say he/she for surreal-so she said if you guess my gender i'll give you a cookie

Chiki Mina
i figure is a she lol she likes norrie and bucket head. I wish you wouldve gimme a cookie mmoviejunkie lol. Remember when some of the gurls here that you were a boy loool.

-savvychick-
who thought who was a boy???

Chiki Mina
i cant remember on the top of my head but there were some.

mmoviejunkie
i figure is a she lol she likes norrie and bucket head. I wish you wouldve gimme a cookie mmoviejunkie lol. Remember when some of the gurls here that you were a boy loool.

lol, yeah not cool

Chiki Mina
not smart either lol.

mmoviejunkie
lol-yeah

willofthewisp
To answer someone's question a while back, Will's mom is dead. It doesn't say how she died, he just says she died and then he went to go look for his dad. It would be really telling if his mom was killed by pirates.

Ha ha, I bet Will and Bill do like cookies.

(on the new and improved Flying Dutchman)
Will: Hot patooties coming out! (takes cookies out of oven)
Bill: You'll have to let Guppy lick the icing.
Will: Oh, but you get to have some first (gives spoon to Bill who licks it)
Bill: That's what I call scrumptious icing.

Barbossa: (bites rather suggestively into his apple) What the bloody hell is all this?

Will: Cookies! Fresh from the oven!

(Barbossa knocks them to the floor, Will looks crushed)

Barbossa: Those bloody things will rot yer teeth and give you excess calories!
Will: (whimpering) You.....you....you son of a *****! I baked those.
Bill: Now Will....
Will: (smacks apple out of Barbossa's hand) I think you've had enough.
Barbossa: I'll tell you when I've had enough (draws sword, he and Will start fighting)

Bill: Why does it always end with a swordfight? (starts eating cookies)

mmoviejunkie
haha, thats real funny

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.