Justifications for censorship of the press

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tassie
Assuming that we accept the whole concept of freedom of the press as almost a myth, what do you think justifies this censorship?
Such as it leading to the erosion of democracy, and loss of other freedoms, such as freedom of speech, freedom of movement, etc..

Deano
free what? that word wont have no meaning soon enough

KidRock
Obviously the press shouldnt print certain things. It wouldnt be right if they put out a news story on the location of all of the United States nuclear missile factorys or print in big headlines the militarys war strategy and plans..if they somehow find those out.

Deano
yeh but it would be good if they printed the truth now and again

KidRock
Originally posted by Deano
yeh but it would be good if they printed the truth now and again
...yes everything in the news is lies and bullshit...

Why believe the mainstream news when we can believe some conspiracy theory website a guy built in his mothers basement?

no expression

Soleran
Originally posted by KidRock

Why believe the mainstream news when we can believe some conspiracy theory website a guy built in his mothers basement?

no expression

Classic laughing

Deano
Originally posted by KidRock

no expression

well as long as this guy in the basement provides some solid evidence and proof, then i'd be happy. ..unlike the media which provides nothing but propaganda from the government. you dont think very much

KidRock
you dont think very much

laughing

ThePittman
News should be that, just news and impartial but they have to put a spin on everything to get the ratings because it comes down to people are stupid.

Kinneary
News has never been the truth. But progoganda and lies from the government have never been lower than they are now. Just look at the kind of crap that came out during WWII, for example.

Kram3r
free what? that word wont have no meaning soon enough

Oh man, you're so right. I'm so oppressed by those secret organisations. I can't even walk down the street with cameras following me every where and I can't even buy things because I'm afraid the government is going to take my finger print off the $20 I give to the Indian dude at the gas stop. Seriously, STFU. You do have ****ing freedom whether you choose to believe that or not. Every nonsense thing you type away at you have the freedom to say it, no? So please, with all due respect, please stop mentioning or insinuating conspiracy in this forum. We have an entire forum for that now so please contain it in there.

As for the subject matter, I think the people have the right to know the issues and such that happen on all levels of government. Of course there are certain things that shouldn't be placed in the news, like the things Kidrock said.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Kram3r
Oh man, you're so right. I'm so oppressed by those secret organisations. I can't even walk down the street with cameras following me every where and I can't even buy things because I'm afraid the government is going to take my finger print off the $20 I give to the Indian dude at the gas stop. Seriously, STFU. You do have ****ing freedom whether you choose to believe that or not. Every nonsense thing you type away at you have the freedom to say it, no? So please, with all due respect, please stop mentioning or insinuating conspiracy in this forum. We have an entire forum for that now so please contain it in there.

As for the subject matter, I think the people have the right to know the issues and such that happen on all levels of government. Of course there are certain things that shouldn't be placed in the news, like the things Kidrock said.

i'm not sure about these things, but I think that agreeing with KidRock and disagreeing with Deano at the same time will result in some sort of moderator explosion.

But, Deano has raised some good points in his time, when he isn't totally neck-deep in his overly conspiracy theory crap. He just needs to bring it down to a realistic level of lying on the part of the world governments.

Besides, if there is a global conspiracy, he would be A+, member no. 1 of said conspiracy. We all like to think we know what the world is all about and can relate and dechipher. But we can't.

Kram3r
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
But, Deano has raised some good points in his time, when he isn't totally neck-deep in his overly conspiracy theory crap. He just needs to bring it down to a realistic level of lying on the part of the world governments.

You make a fair point. Really, out of all of this, I just want it to be contained in the area it belongs.

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Besides, ]if there is a global conspiracy, he would be A+, member no. 1 of said conspiracy. We all like to think we know what the world is all about and can relate and decipher. But we can't.

Yeah "if" there's one. I agree, we all like to think we can decipher the world and break it down and it's people's right if they want to think that. I just don't like it when most of his comments I see in GD have some sort of Conspiracy innuendo.

Bardock42
I don't see any reason to limit freedom of the press.

Darth Jello
freedom of the press should be absolute as long as it serves the best interests of the people. It's propagana and shit like fox news and the washington times that should be censored.
Actually, since it's illegal to conduct psyops/propoganda on US citizens, then theoretically both of those media outlets should be shut down.

Fishy
Originally posted by Darth Jello
freedom of the press should be absolute as long as it serves the best interests of the people. It's propagana and shit like fox news and the washington times that should be censored.
Actually, since it's illegal to conduct psyops/propoganda on US citizens, then theoretically both of those media outlets should be shut down.

Seeing as it's impossible to serve the best interest of the people without lying refusing to tell things and hiding other things freedom of press will never be absolute..

But it really should be, the press should be able to print anything they want as long as they get access to it. There should be limits to what they are given however, secret files military stuff and all of the like should not be handed to them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to print it if they do get it.

Kayne Archeron
words can be powerful, yes, but not everyone acts on their words. i do see acts of censorship that make me roll my eyes, but i don't think we're at a dire overflow of it just yet

Deano
Originally posted by Kram3r

laughing you are a deluded soul. you are not free. your ass is glued to someone elses control system. you serve the system, therefore you are not free.

Kram3r
laughing you are a deluded soul. you are not free. your ass is glued to someone elses control system. you serve the system, therefore you are not free.

Ok then, if I'm not free what limitations are placed on me?

Deano
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=356510&highlight=gulags

Most people kid themselves that they are free by never testing the theory for real.They are like flies caught in a web and so long as they dont move
they can convince themselves that they could if they wanted to. Its just they they dont want to right now. If they tryed they would have to face the fact that their arse is superglued to someone elses control system with dinner about to be served - them. They keep doing what the goverment dictatorships tell them to do, without question or challenge, and perpetuate the illusion that they have free choice by never even making one. Having my wings stuck to this web suits me fine because i am choosing not to fly.

Kayne Archeron
why complain if you're fine with the way things are?

Kram3r
They keep doing what the goverment dictatorships tell them to do, without question or challenge, and perpetuate the illusion that they have free choice by never even making one. Having my wings stuck to this web suits me fine because i am choosing not to fly.

Yeah, no one challenges the decisions made for the Iraq war. No one challenged the decisions made for the Vietnam War. No one questions the decisions made by every party ever in power. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.