Historic Military Weapons

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Which culture or nation do you think came out with the best weaponary for it's own time period?

I would say The Greeks. They invented poison arrows. There is also the jars fill with venomous snakes (which they would launch at their enemies) Then there is the Byzantines who made the most devastating weapon for naval combat...Greek Fire. Name a few yourself. From ancient times to 19th Century.

KharmaDog
The British Long Bow was one of the most dominant weapons of it's time.

I'd say the greek phalanx was pretty dominant also (if we could call that a weapon).

Darth Kreiger
Nuclear Bomb, I think the USA takes this.

Greek Phalanx and Roman Legions were the dominant forces of their time

Alliance
The greeks might have had great weapons, but the Roman army puts any other ancient army to shame. I guess its a preference between the weapons and the use of the weapons.

I mean, the Romans were so bad at sailing, they attached deployable gangways to their ships so they wouldn'd have to fight naval battles, they could just board an enemy ship and rely on their strong ground combat skills. That is strategy.

Darth Kreiger
Again, Nuke >>>>>>>All

Alliance
Is that really a weapon? Its not weilded by man.

To me we should be discussing things that people fight directly with.

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Alliance
Is that really a weapon? Its not weilded by man.

To me we should be discussing things that people fight directly with.

It is however the most destructive weapon of anytime, it does not have to be wielded by Man, it is the Ultimate Weapon, and it was built by Human hands

Alliance
then no. the H-bomb is more powerful than the basic fission nuke.

jaden101
who ever it was that catapulted living plague victims over castle walls...thus technically the first use of biological weapons...genius idea

Alliance
tehe

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by jaden101
who ever it was that catapulted living plague victims over castle walls...thus technically the first use of biological weapons...genius idea

I think what they used to do was to put dead animals inside jars. Place the lid. Then would let them decompose for several days. Finally catapulted them over the walls to contaminated the soldiers. Pretty wicked stuff.

Newjak
I would say the chinese far outclased everyone else.
With and assortment of close range weapons as well as the first use of Gunpowder in their Fire Lances. I think that puts them ahead.

WrathfulDwarf
Speaking of the Chinese...did the Flying Guillotine really existed? That is one wicked sinister weapon.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Speaking of the Chinese...did the Flying Guillotine really existed? That is one wicked sinister weapon.

Flying Guillotine?

Storm
It' s a weapon attached to a long chain that can be thrown and decapitate the victim. I think it' s fictitious.

RocasAtoll
Chinese and the Greek. Greeks were the first to think up ACTUAL biological warfare, repeating bastillas, Greek Fire, and Chemical Warfare.

Chinese had repeating crossbows, first rockets, and first cannons.

Storm
Bastillas? Are you referring to the ballista?

WrathfulDwarf
Someone been playing KOTOR lately. laughing out loud

Koenig
The Tiger tank of WW2 One hell of a German tank that put fear in to the Allies on all fronts.

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by Koenig
The Tiger tank of WW2 One hell of a German tank that put fear in to the Allies on all fronts.

And that's out of the time frame.

Originally posted by Storm
Bastillas? Are you referring to the ballista?

Shit. Now I feel really stupid.

Koenig
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
And that's out of the time frame.

So was the H-Bomb wink stick out tongue

OK how about this one, 45 Long Colt introduced by Colt in 1873.

RocasAtoll
Didn't have the dominance or ingenuity of Greek fire.

bogen
the Katana, surely a powerful sword but was never used outside japan.
what a pity.
Other than that id go with the crossbow or the trebuchete.

Captain REX
In the World War 2 period, in terms of rifles, the M1 Garand is quite notable, I suppose.

Fishy
The Turks with their monster Bombards (Basilics), any weapon that takes 24 hours reload has to rock smile

Fire
Or must have a very bad crew. But it probably rocked smile

Fishy
Originally posted by Fire
Or must have a very bad crew. But it probably rocked smile

Looked it up, it only took them 8 hours to reload but it still destroyed the walls of Constantinople so I still say it rocked smile

Fire
yea that seems about right

Pandemoniac
Ancient siege weapons were, especially considering the technological level at those times, amazing. Notable about these is also that armies carried only the minimum of material for these devices on journeys, and gathered major parts like wood from the areas of conflict, making it possible to move fast but employ devastating power withing a day or 2 as well.

Ambience
I think the German's take the cake.
They found a way to use gas to their advantage and devastate all who opposed them. They perfected the art of killing through the work of concentration camps.

Plus they manufactured several prototypes of ghastly tanks, and one can't forget the U-boat. Also they designed the first cruise missile known as the V-1 flying bomb.

Fishy
Originally posted by Ambience
I think the German's take the cake.
They found a way to use gas to their advantage and devastate all who opposed them. They perfected the art of killing through the work of concentration camps.

Plus they manufactured several prototypes of ghastly tanks, and one can't forget the U-boat. Also they designed the first cruise missile known as the V-1 flying bomb.

We want to know the greatest weapon not the greatest nation... And Germany isn't a weapon.... I think

Ambience
Originally posted by Fishy
We want to know the greatest weapon not the greatest nation... And Germany isn't a weapon.... I think

Oh. I misunderstood the concept.
pinch

KingTut
Originally posted by KharmaDog
The British Long Bow was one of the most dominant weapons of it's time.

The composite bow was more powerful.

Overall though, it's not a competition. The H-Bomb wins easily.

Lord Coal
As far as technology of weapons goes, the saracens (Mediaeval Arabs) knew what they were on about. They had some method or other that made their swords notably tougher than Christian equivalents. This process involved, at some stage of the production process, thrusting the unfinished sword through the bodies of living slaves. The result of this was the release of certain chemical processes which toughened the metal before it was finally tempered. Or something.

The Chinese were also obviously very advanced with their technology, but that's kind of been covered.

Fishy
Originally posted by Lord Coal
As far as technology of weapons goes, the saracens (Mediaeval Arabs) knew what they were on about. They had some method or other that made their swords notably tougher than Christian equivalents. This process involved, at some stage of the production process, thrusting the unfinished sword through the bodies of living slaves. The result of this was the release of certain chemical processes which toughened the metal before it was finally tempered. Or something.

The Chinese were also obviously very advanced with their technology, but that's kind of been covered.

You have any prove for that first statement? I never heard it before and it sounds quite absurd for a relatively advanced civilization even back then.

Nellinator
It does seem kinda weird. What I do know about the Saracens is that they would have had control of Damascus which was world famous for its high quality steel in those days. That and the scimitars cut through air resistance better than the cross shaped swords of the Europeans.

Fishy
Originally posted by Nellinator
It does seem kinda weird. What I do know about the Saracens is that they would have had control of Damascus which was world famous for its high quality steel in those days. That and the scimitars cut through air resistance better than the cross shaped swords of the Europeans.

The quality of their swords is not something I would doubt, but them killing slaves to test their swords seems insane. Especially if you would consider how many slaves they would need for something like that, one slave for each created sword would equal thousands if not hundreds of thousands of slaves...

So many people and so much money just killed/destroyed for testing a sword? It's illogical.

Seth Wynd
Don't mind me, I'm just watching the countless morons that keep forgetting "up to the 19th century" means anything WWI onward is not an acceptable answer.

I would have to side with Greek Fire. Especially since not only was it used by ships, but there was also what pretty much amounted to the first flamethrower in use by the Byzantines. Hand operated, and it would shoot greek fire out at the poor infantry in front of you.

Plus, even if you missed, a battlefield engulfed in smoke and fire was great for shock value.

beta-wolf_101
"The Greatest battle implement ever devised" Patton. The M-1 Garand.

Seth Wynd
...except, that wasn't 19th century. 19th century means the 1800s. Did you even read the first post?

grey fox
Bayonet

Why ?

Because it's a last ditch weapon , it combines every aspect necessary. If allowed I would have picked the trench spike but that's 19th onwards...

Tangible God
Originally posted by Seth Wynd
Don't mind me, I'm just watching the countless morons that keep forgetting "up to the 19th century" means anything WWI onward is not an acceptable answer.

I would have to side with Greek Fire. Especially since not only was it used by ships, but there was also what pretty much amounted to the first flamethrower in use by the Byzantines. Hand operated, and it would shoot greek fire out at the poor infantry in front of you.

Plus, even if you missed, a battlefield engulfed in smoke and fire was great for shock value. We don't even fully understand how it was created do we?

Seth Wynd
Greek fire? Last I heard, no. It was by far the most heavily guarded secret of the time period, if not the history of mankind. I mean hell, if they kept it secret then, and it's STILL a secret, they clearly weren't screwing around.

Tangible God
When did the Byzantine's stop using it? When Constaniople fell or before that?

lancethebrave
the mongols, under ghengis khan, of course they had the stirrup for their horses as well as good armor and bows, mounted archers were dominant, they also had plenty of close range combatants

Seth Wynd
Originally posted by Tangible God
When did the Byzantine's stop using it? When Constaniople fell or before that?

I'd have to look that up :/

And Lance, this is asking for a weapon, not who you think the best warriors were -.-;;

IHateCaesar
The Most PowerFul Bomb Ever Created The Tsar Bomba Bomb by the Russians........you just cant beat that

Ze russians make beeg bombs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.