Okay...let's try to figure out that darn compass...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JD_4_Life
Okay, I have a question. When Jack was sailing away in that little life boat he looked at his compass to see if that's what he wanted most. Is the compass pointing to the Black Pearl or to someone (Elizabeth) on the ship?

Please and thank you.

*jcd*gmc*
I think it was pointing to the ship-that's pretty much the entire point of the 1st movie-he wanted to find it most. So I guess that's what it was pointing to--it makes a lot of sense.

evilm0nki3
The book said it pointed to the pearl and her crew.

JD_4_Life
but I heard various rumors (even on wikipedia) about it pointing to Elizabeth. I'm really confused.

mmoviejunkie
i personally think that it was pointing to elizabeth
because once he is back on the ship he says abandon ship, and then when gibbs says, but jack-the black pearl...jack says its only a ship mate
so if he says this, then why would he returning to the ship after he already had a chance to leave?
he came back for the crew, but mainly for elizabeth

JD_4_Life
yeah..thanks for that. Now it kind of makes sense.

Mistypirate
Ok IMO the compass was pointing at Elizabeth, he right there and then realized, that she was what he wanted most in the world. I think he was confused when he was escaping in the boat. And when he opened the compass he finally accepted he cared for her,and went back to save her. I think he was in denial about his feelings at that moment. IMO The compass was like a symbolic aspect. For me it represents the character's indecisiveness. That's why we see, that when Jack had the compass it pointed in every direction. But once he accepted he had feelings for her, the compass stop spinning and it pointed to one direction.

PirateDiva
^^ Totally agree i mean when Jack was getting away...thats it he HAD HIS FREEDOM!!...the Pearl would have sank and Davy would have thought he was DEAD!!! But he was torn because he was FREE and yet he felt like something was still missing....so he took out his compass and it pointed to Elizabeth because at that point he had freedom, but realized that is not what he wanted He wanted Elizabeth!!! and he accepted his feelings, gave in and went back!!!

Mistypirate
Yes yes yes, Is like he was torn between freedom and Liz. He was unsure what he wanted most. But finally accepted it was Liz. Whats weird is that when Liz had the compass it wasn't conflicted. I believed that she knew what she wanted all along. Maybe this sounds silly, but do you think that Liz was denying her feelings towards Jack, because maybe she though Jack could never correspond her back. So maybe thats why she was trying to kill off her feelings for him. Because she tough Jack couldn't love her back.

PirateDiva
Of course it makes total sense....right now only the Movie can prove us wrong!! LOL!!

akanai
as I said, it's in this official disney comic big grin "he came back to woman he loved" big grin

LovelyOne
if it was pointing to and from Elizabeth throughout the entire movie...then its kinda obvious that it pointed and stuck somewhere at the end. It either pointed at her or away from her and stuck..

seconds later he says "Its only a ship mate" when contemplating leaving..what an ODD thing to say if what he wanted most was the pearl

In movie 3..in that draft script its obvious Jack is in love with Elizabeth.

So he went back for her. I just notice T&T wont admit it or anything cuz I think movie3 was supposed to be the surprise where we see Jack is in love.

LovelyOne
So yeah he obviously went back for Elizabeth..and that is why she did what she did to him...she refused him silly cow cuz only hours later all she wants is him back for good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.