School Zone

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gregory
School Zone is a horror mange written by Kanako Inuki and brought to America by Dark Horse. Kanako Inuki, they helpfully inform their readers, is "The Queen of Horror Manga." Of course, Dark Horse says something like this about every horror author they translate. "Kazuo Umezu? "The Stephen King of Manga." Junji Ito? "the foremost creator of horror manga."

Anyway.

School Zone is the story of a haunted school; you might conceivily have figured that out by the title. Specifically, there are thirteen ghost stories surrounding the school. Years ago, the ghosts were sealed away by thirteen mirrors, but now the mirrors are starting to break...

I fully approve of this manga. It's scary (as opposed for Umezu's Scary Book), and it goes places (as opposed, for example, to Ito's Tomie, which I enjoyed but which eventually became essentially an anthology with no recurring characters or overarching plot). The characters aren't terribly fleshed out, but they carry the story well enough, and the ghosts are sufficiently menacing and grotesque.

It's only three volumes long; I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. You don't want the story to drag or get repetative, of course, but the ending felt sort of rushed.

Anyway, I advise people to check it out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.