Define Speed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LethalFemme
Okay I've been reading some of the threads here and am confused by Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel. From what I understand or believe I do they have the same or at least relative speed god given one(I believe Hermes) is more powerful than the other (Mercury). So who's the fastest between these two? What speed feats do each have? I also know I read something about friction inhibiting her true speed the true aura of a speedster and so can't go pass a certain speed on earth but, what about space and is CM the same? Please post scans.

Badabing
http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=a8c37_capflash2.jpg
http://img130.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=bebce_capflash3.jpg
Sorry, the first two wouldn't download.

LethalFemme
Thanks sweetie.happy

DigiMark007
Speed can be:
A. Travel/Flight speed
B. Reaction Time

...presumably, Superman and others can travel over the speed of light (given how fast he leaves our solar system and travels between planets, it would be silly if he couldn't). But their reflexes are nowhere near, say Flash. Or even someone like Quicksilver, who can only reach maybe Mach 5 in travel speed.

Writers are notorious for not specifying what they mean exactly, and sometimes flight speed can be used like reaction time (i.e. speedblitz in fights).

So good luck making sense of this mess. roll eyes (sarcastic)

DigiMark007
P.S. Just realize your question was more focused than my answer accounted for. Sorry.

embarrasment

LethalFemme
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Speed can be:
A. Travel/Flight speed
B. Reaction Time

...presumably, Superman and others can travel over the speed of light (given how fast he leaves our solar system and travels between planets, it would be silly if he couldn't). But their reflexes are nowhere near, say Flash. Or even someone like Quicksilver, who can only reach maybe Mach 5 in travel speed.

Writers are notorious for not specifying what they mean exactly, and sometimes flight speed can be used like reaction time (i.e. speedblitz in fights).

So good luck making sense of this mess. roll eyes (sarcastic)

P.S. Just realize your question was more focused than my answer accounted for. Sorry.

embarrasment

Ssh stop posting.petpet

DigiMark007
Originally posted by LethalFemme
Ssh stop posting.petpet

good advice....bedtime anyway.

LethalFemme
good advice....bedtime anyway.

Night sweatpants.offtobedtongue12

olympian
Okay I've been reading some of the threads here and am confused by Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel. From what I understand or believe I do they have the same or at least relative speed god given one(I believe Hermes) is more powerful than the other (Mercury). So who's the fastest between these two? What speed feats do each have? I also know I read something about friction inhibiting her true speed the true aura of a speedster and so can't go pass a certain speed on earth but, what about space and is CM the same? Please post scans.
They should have around the same speed, since Hermes and Mercury are basically the same being but splited in two.
As for the original Greek being more powerful than theyr counterparts, it wasent showed, iirc. They actually for the most part (exceptions possibly noted of Ares/Mars) looked to be peers.

Mercury in "War of The Gods", beat the Flash, and Hermes went toe to toe with him after stealing the speed of others guys in order to match his Roman self (Hermes was weakned before doing that, btw).

inamilist
i was mislead by this thread title

it sounded almost like a place to break out the theoretical physics

LethalFemme
Originally posted by olympian
They should have around the same speed, since Hermes and Mercury are basically the same being but splited in two.
As for the original Greek being more powerful than theyr counterparts, it wasent showed, iirc. They actually for the most part (exceptions possibly noted of Ares/Mars) looked to be peers.

Mercury in "War of The Gods", beat the Flash, and Hermes went toe to toe with him after stealing the speed of others guys in order to match his Roman self (Hermes was weakned before doing that, btw).

Him beating flash Make sense in the fact that he is a god of speed but, was it major PIS/CIS?

Originally posted by inamilist
i was mislead by this thread title

it sounded almost like a place to break out the theoretical physics

And you got all excited huh?stick out tongue

ankur29
i always was under the impression that supes and CM were overall physically equal whereas wonderwoman was lower than the two

BTW CM has a fraction of mercury's power as he does with the other god's power he posseses

however why does CM say it's taking all his speed in that scan whereas the narration says "supersonic" , i thought that flash and CM were travelling at the same speed where flash says he is going/staying just below ("have to stay this side of the speed of light"wink lightspeed??...............help someone?

Mindship
Originally posted by Badabing
http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=a8c37_capflash2.jpg
Personally, what I find a bit interesting about the above is, on the one hand, Flash is talking about speeding along just shy of lightspeed, but on the other hand, he and CM are being compared to "supersonic" freight trains.

This makes it sound (to me, anyway) like there isn't that much diff between the speed of light and the speed of sound when, in fact, light is about 900,000 times faster.

Eh, comic physics beer

ankur29
Originally posted by Mindship
Personally, what I find a bit interesting about the above is, on the one hand, Flash is talking about speeding along just shy of lightspeed, but on the other hand, he and CM are being compared to "supersonic" freight trains.

This makes it sound (to me, anyway) like there isn't that much diff between the speed of light and the speed of sound when, in fact, light is about 900,000 times faster.

Eh, comic physics beer

precisely my point which brings about the question was cap aslo travveling at near light speed?

inamilist

And you got all excited huh?stick out tongue

its a hair trigger

olympian
Him beating flash Make sense in the fact that he is a god of speed but, was it major PIS/CIS?
Not really. Not to me at least, that was pre-speed force Flash.

Endless Mike
Distance/Time

Milkie
There are more then one Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury and more then one of every other Olympian god... there are millions...

http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/7633/trialsofshazam002000bt8.jpg

ankur29
so let me get this straight accrding to cap's feats so far

cap's top speed before becoming the wizard(over 100 times more powerful!!) was sub-lighspeed just under speed of light

olunbanks
no he was .. stated to be supersonic .. and 100 times more powerful isnt much faster than that now is it.. ? :P and mercury and hermes aint much diffrent either.. a tinyy little diffrence.. thats all.. and what is with the marvel dude's new hair.. is he gay .. big grin

Milkie
Originally posted by olunbanks
no he was .. stated to be supersonic .. and 100 times more powerful isnt much faster than that now is it.. ? :P and mercury and hermes aint much diffrent either.. a tinyy little diffrence.. thats all.. and what is with the marvel dude's new hair.. is he gay .. big grin

The keyword is WAS.

Superman WAS able to move planets with ease.

ankur29

actually flash statded that he was moving just under light speed , yet he was called supersonic , i'm quite sure that they were both moving at equal speeds or if one was moving at supersonic and the other just underlight speed they would not be able to pull of what they did in the scan , it's acceptable to say that cap was moving at under light speed aswell

olunbanks
nope. he wasnt .. it was stated he was going at supersonic.. marvel's dudes' speed totally out of proportion..

olunbanks
Originally posted by Milkie
The keyword is WAS.

Superman WAS able to move planets with ease.

who was talking about .. superman.. laughing

Mindship
Speed can be:
A. Travel/Flight speed
B. Reaction Time

Interestingly enough, in the average human, reaction time is roughly equal to running speed (around 20mph). Flight speed, however, is a whole other ballgame which (for obvious reasons) is hard to figure compared to reflex/agility/running speed.

Seems to me, though, if a character can run/fly at, say, Mach 100, their reaction/reflex speed should be comparable. Otherwise, they could not perceive/respond effectively when at that speed.

(I'd read somewhere once that when fighter pilots are flying close to the ground, they are moving so fast that by the time their eye/brain registers a landmark, they're already like a half-mile past it).

Milkie
who was talking about .. superman.. laughing

I was using him as an example

superbatman86
Originally posted by ankur29
actually flash statded that he was moving just under light speed , yet he was called supersonic , i'm quite sure that they were both moving at equal speeds or if one was moving at supersonic and the other just underlight speed they would not be able to pull of what they did in the scan , it's acceptable to say that cap was moving at under light speed aswell Technically moving just under light speed is super-sonic.

ankur29
thats what i was thinking, if you travel from anytihing above 761mph (sound speed) that is called supersonic and under the speed of light is above 761mph

however i also read that 761mph- to mach 4 is supersonic

and mach 5- mach 10 is hypersonic

Mindship
Originally posted by ankur29
thats what i was thinking, if you travel from anytihing above 761mph (sound speed) that is called supersonic and under the speed of light is above 761mph
however i also read that 761mph- to mach 4 is supersonic
and mach 5- mach 10 is hypersonic
The speed of light is nearly 900,000x faster than the speed of sound (about Mach 881,000). This tendency in comics to see the two as somewhat comparable is like saying $1 is comparable to almost one million dollars.

Hypersonic is generally regarded as about Mach 5 to Mach 10, though there is no hard-n-fast rule about this (technically, Mach 20 or 30 is also hypersonic). Still, there is such a huge gab between hypersonic and lightspeed, that I wondered if new terms are in order:
Trans-hypersonic: say, Mach 20+
Hectosonic: Mach 100+
Kilosonic: Mach 1000+

Regardless, the main thing to remember is: lightspeed = Mach 881,000.

ankur29
so how fast was flash going in that pic? sub light speed ,yet he was statsed as supersonnic (761mph- mach 4 ) it can be conisdered that CM was also travelling at near light speed

Mindship
Hard to say cuz both comic-book physics and writers' intentions are often deliberately vague, going for emotional, Wow-Holy-Crap! effect rather than realism. IMO, neither were going near-lightspeed; perhaps hectosonic velocities.

Milkie
They were going near light

Mindship
It suggests that in one panel, but then the last panel says "supersonic." Supersonic, as commonly understood, is Not / No where Near lightspeed. As I mentioned before, writers' intent and comic-book physics leave much to be desired.

Pause for thought: the crack of a whip is a miniature sonic boom, ie, the whip tip was moving at supersonic speed. Needless to say, no one in their right mind is gonna believe it was moving near-lightspeed.

olunbanks
Originally posted by Mindship
It suggests that in one panel, but then the last panel says "supersonic." Supersonic, as commonly understood, is Not / No where Near lightspeed. As I mentioned before, writers' intent and comic-book physics leave much to be desired.

Pause for thought: the crack of a whip is a miniature sonic boom, ie, the whip tip was moving at supersonic speed. Needless to say, no one in their right mind is gonna believe it was moving near-lightspeed.

couldnt of put it better myself.. big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.