over powered or underpowerd

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lando005
quick question do you prefer a hero who so overpowerd he's never really in any danger like o say superman or would you prefer a hero who has some power but is still putting his life on the line even against common thugs like say spiser-man or capain america or even batman

chase el
batman anyone?

Validus
Captain America's life is never in any more damage than Superman's, realistically speaking.

chase el
this is true.. but Captain America is hurt easier than Superman... thats why i think hes a better hero... he really does risk himself

batdude123
Originally posted by Validus
Captain America's life is never in any more damage than Superman's, realistically speaking.

Marvel doesn't have the balls to kill off one its biggest cash cows. Same with DC, and pretty much every other comic company.

lando005
Captain America's life is never in any more damage than Superman's, realistically speaking. i beg to differ one lucky punk with a gun could kill cap superman as it stands now deosnt have to worry about anything

Validus
Originally posted by lando005
i beg to differ one lucky punk with a gun could kill cap superman as it stands now deosnt have to worry about anything
Could perhaps but we know that isn't going to happen.

batdude123
i beg to differ one lucky punk with a gun could kill cap superman as it stands now deosnt have to worry about anything

He means Marvel isn't going to kill off Captain America.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by batdude123
Marvel doesn't have the balls to kill off one its biggest cash cows. Same with DC, and pretty much every other comic company. Mortal Kombat did it stick out tongue

batdude123
Originally posted by chase el
this is true.. but Captain America is hurt easier than Superman... thats why i think hes a better hero... he really does risk himself

Superman takes on different levels of enemies. It's not really comparable.

long pig
Cap isn't marvel's cashcow. Hell, most people not into comics, don't even know who he is.

chase el
you have to be dumb not to know who captain america is

batdude123
Originally posted by Big Sexy
Mortal Kombat did it stick out tongue

JOHNNY!!!!! cry weep

batdude123
Originally posted by long pig
Cap isn't marvel's cashcow. Hell, most people not into comics, don't even know who he is.

I said ONE of Marvel's cash cow. He along with Namor founded Marvel and was their base. They aren't going to kill him off.

Big Sexy
JOHNNY!!!!! cry weep They have Johnny killed. Then they had Shang Tsung kill Liu Kang and take his soul leaving his body as a shell.

Validus
They have Johnny killed. Then they had Shang Tsung kill Liu Kang and take his soul leaving his body as a shell.
And yet somehow both still appear as playable characters.

chase el
And yet somehow both still appear as playable characters.

laughing

batdude123
They have Johnny killed. Then they had Shang Tsung kill Liu Kang and take his soul leaving his body as a shell.

I don't care about Liu. It's all about Johnny, Sub-Zero, and Raiden. 'NUFF SAID.

Big Sexy
And yet somehow both still appear as playable characters. Not in deadly alliance. Liu was gone. He was in deception but it took forever to even find him. In armageddon, hes a corpse but hes not the main focus of MK like he used to be.

Big Sexy
I don't care about Liu. It's all about Johnny, Sub-Zero, and Raiden. 'NUFF SAID. Liu, Scorpion, Shang Tsung, Kung Lao, and Raiden are my favorites.

batdude123
Liu, Scorpion, Shang Tsung, Kung Lao, and Raiden are my favorites.

Yeah, Scorpian's pretty kickass.

lando005
Could perhaps but we know that isn't going to happen. doesnt change the fact that it could happen to cap and superman is never in that kind of danger

Big Sexy
Yeah, Scorpian's pretty kickass. I loved shang because whenever I took someones soul with a fatality, I would sing the song : "I got soul baby, and I'm super bad". I use to annoy the hell out of my brother with that song.

lando005
ok 1 person likes an overpowered hero

lando005
make that 4..... jee i wonder who that could be

Dinalfos
Scorpion and Sub-Zero own all, bitches!

Palette swapping 4life!

lando005
i dont think anyone's paying attention anymore

Roldz
I like an overpowered chars. who could pretty much lay waste planets across the solar system and Galaxy... But would jobber a lot against Earth Heroes... wink

batdude123
Originally posted by Dinalfos
Scorpion and Sub-Zero own all, bitches!

Palette swapping 4life!

They're both cool. erm

However, you have to add Johnny Cage and Raiden in that list.

Dinalfos
They're both cool. erm

However, you have to add Johnny Cage and Raiden in that list.

Yeah, but only Mk2 Raiden. MK 1 Raiden sucks sad

lando005
Originally posted by Roldz
I like an overpowered chars. who could pretty much lay waste planets across the solar system and Galaxy... But would jobber a lot against Earth Heroes... wink i'm talking mainly earth based heroes.... where's the challange if there's nothing aound that could threaten you

Roldz
Didnt you read the "But would jobber a lot against Earth heroes" part..
That means he would lost every fight against any of Earths heroes... Ie. Wolverine/Speedball/Leech...

lando005
Originally posted by Roldz
Didnt you read the "But would jobber a lot against Earth heroes" part..
That means he would lost every fight against any of Earths heroes... Ie. Wolverine/Speedball/Leech... that's kind of a silly concept dont you think

UniOmni
Powerful characters are often neglected, due to uncreative writing.

But they can be written well, and with challenges.

lando005
Originally posted by UniOmni
Powerful characters are often neglected, due to uncreative writing.

But they can be written well, and with challenges. cause it's hard to find every day challenges when your powerful enough to move planets

Roldz
that's kind of a silly concept dont you think
But it happens.. Ask Gladiator better yet Galactus... Just kidding..
For real dough i like Char.. like say Havok/Cyke these character has potential to be very distractive if let loose and are constantly keeping themselves in checked.....

One character comes to mind Silver Surfer...

lando005
my only problem is with characters that are too powerful for earth but earth is the only place you see them

UniOmni
cause it's hard to find every day challenges when your powerful enough to move planets

Or when you're not creative enough to come up with original threats and motives.

Every big threat doesn't have to be able to destroy a galaxy, or a solar system with a blast from their ass.

Writers are lazy, and write purely for the check that comes with it. There isn't any growth.

Sparkz
In comics I prefer the underpowerd characters like Spider-man, they have more intresting stories, and better character development's imo. And I just prefer the fights they seem much more brutal in a sense.

But in Tv shows and Movies I prefer the overpowerd characters like Superman theres always something cool about seeing a godly character saving the day...thoughts that come to mind such as in Superman returns where Superman lifts Lex's boat out of the sea to save Lois and Jason, or in JLU when Superman decides to stop holding back on Darkseid.

lando005
Or when you're not creative enough to come up with original threats and motives.

Every big threat doesn't have to be able to destroy a galaxy, or a solar system with a blast from their ass.

Writers are lazy, and write purely for the check that comes with it. There isn't any growth. true your right about that

Validus

Writers are lazy, and write purely for the check that comes with it. There isn't any growth.
Dude! A character who can level galaxies by blasting from his ass?

*e-mails Grant Morrison*

lando005
i prefer underpowered they just seem more intersting

brainchild81
same here

DigiMark007
Lando, a few of your threads have me thinking you need to browse the forum rules before you make too many more. But this thread isn't hurting anything...I'll just be moving it to the general comics forum.

Entity
It is far more interesting to see a character overcome incredible odds than it is to see a character with nearly unlimited power and NO weaknesses that just wines cause "i can't save everone and if i do everyone will depend on me" oh boo hoo.

DigiMark007

*e-mails Grant Morrison*

....says the guy with Jenny Quantum in his sig (i.e. ingester of exploding universes).

roll eyes (sarcastic)

ExodusCloak

*e-mails Grant Morrison*

eek! laughing hysterical I'm sorry...that line just killed me..."figuratively speaking"...can't stop crying over that line....

clapping Encore, encore....

Tha C-Master
I don't care about Liu. It's all about Johnny, Sub-Zero, and Raiden. 'NUFF SAID. Johnny Cage! Scorpion, and Drahmin too... Drahmin rules biatches!

H. S. 6
Generally, I like under-powered characters more (Spider-Man, Nightwing, Captain America, etc.), however, I've taken a recent liking the Sentry. Maybe because he has some kind of problem he faces on a daily basis, and isn't too "uber."

On the other hand, a character like Superman... hell no. no

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
Johnny Cage! Scorpion, and Drahmin too... Drahmin rules biatches! Reiko. I just like using him. Hes got a nice set of moves. Kenshi's pretty awesome too.

bigbran
Reiko. I just like using him. Hes got a nice set of moves. Kenshi's pretty awesome too. I liked Rain, Reptile, basically all the ninjas.
Kintaro is sweet too. That's why I want the new game.

lando005
He means Marvel isn't going to kill off Captain America. civil war....

Symmetric Chaos
civil war....

Oct 19th, 2006 12:39 AM

Entity
Marvel doesn't have the balls to kill off one its biggest cash cows. Same with DC, and pretty much every other comic company. YEA! MARVEL's the one without balls! mad

Shit I'd like to see DC actually try something even close to Civil War where everything doesn't go back to basically the exact same thing it was before right after.

Shit I'd just like to see them go a year without reconning anything that has the potential to upset the status quo.

pr1983
Originally posted by Entity
YEA! MARVEL's the one without balls! mad

Shit I'd like to see DC actually try something even close to Civil War where everything doesn't go back to basically the exact same thing it was before right after.

Shit I'd just like to see them go a year without reconning anything that has the potential to upset the status quo.

yes, because identity crisis didnt have widespread repercussions for dc... dc spent the better part of two years building up to infinite crisis...

or sinestro corps war... kyle's just been possessed by parallax, and a fair part of the gl corps still hate hal for what he did as parallax...

or the fact that people still won't live in the new coast city...

Creshosk
Captain America's life is never in any more damage than Superman's, realistically speaking. Originally posted by batdude123
Marvel doesn't have the balls to kill off one its biggest cash cows. Same with DC, and pretty much every other comic company. Originally posted by batdude123
He means Marvel isn't going to kill off Captain America. Originally posted by batdude123
I said ONE of Marvel's cash cow. He along with Namor founded Marvel and was their base. They aren't going to kill him off.

Hindsight is 20/20... but still.

Maybe marvel read these posts and decided to prove you wrong. mad

llagrok

Batdude should've spent more points in foresight.

willRules
Originally posted by pr1983
yes, because identity crisis didnt have widespread repercussions for dc... dc spent the better part of two years building up to infinite crisis...

or sinestro corps war... kyle's just been possessed by parallax, and a fair part of the gl corps still hate hal for what he did as parallax...

or the fact that people still won't live in the new coast city...

Whilst I agree that Sinestro Corps war will have repercussions and Infinite Crisis did have big repercussions, Civil War had far bigger and bolder repercussions than Infinite Crisis. Don't get me wrong I loved Infinite Crisis and Civil War. I'm loving Sinestro Corps, but Civil War showed IMO that Marvel has much bigger testicles when it comes to story lines yes

Infinite Crisis was big but it was essentially a cosmic who dunnit with only Alexander Luthor posing as the suspect, it's two major deaths were a member of the Teen Titans and character who I think was last seen at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths (Superman of Earth 2). Flash didn't count as he's not dead. Civil War killed off Captain America, allowed a greater degree of reader interaction with the whole "Whose side are you on?" and had the balls to have the side that the most readers were rooting against win so that they could considerably alter the landscape of the Marvel Universe into a more super hero military orientated place. yes

Endless Mike
Superman is in danger constantly since he fights enemies who are as strong or stronger than he is

lando005
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Oct 19th, 2006 12:39 AM yea i now..... i just couldnt help myself

pr1983
Originally posted by willRules
Whilst I agree that Sinestro Corps war will have repercussions and Infinite Crisis did have big repercussions, Civil War had far bigger and bolder repercussions than Infinite Crisis. Don't get me wrong I loved Infinite Crisis and Civil War. I'm loving Sinestro Corps, but Civil War showed IMO that Marvel has much bigger testicles when it comes to story lines yes

i don't agree... dc has dealt with difficult issues alot, the mindwipe, identity crisis' rape and revenge, miscarriage etc... and IC was on a larger scale... the whole universe was at stake... i dont really think you can equate civil war with IC, IC is more like annihilation in a way...

and sinestro corps>civil war imo in terms of writing...

deaths don't make the story... stick out tongue

the interaction thing i'll grant, it did have that...

but honestly, how long do you think the pro reg thing will last the way it is? the new avengers are still against it, the x-men wont register (as cyke will tell stark after messiah complex), and stark seems to be slowly going off the deep end since taking control of shield...

Martian_mind
I think that Sinestro Corps is a way for DC to combat annihilation conquest.

Civil War was around to halt Infinite crisis.

and WWH is an answer to either WW3 or Countdown...i think.

either way both companies have comparable events.

lando005
i think the thread has been side tracked

Martian_mind
i think the thread has been side tracked

I think the state of public health availablity is appalling.

Harry Fingerman
Originally posted by Martian_mind
I think the state of public health availablity is appalling. We have free health care. big grin

Martian_mind
Originally posted by Harry Fingerman
We have free health care. big grin

Canadians are Sub-human,thus treatment is far cheaper for the government,hence free health care.

Harry Fingerman
Canadians are Sub-human,thus treatment is far cheaper for the government,hence free health care. The correct word is "peak-humans".

Martian_mind
The correct word is "peak-humans".

Probably gained from the free healthcare.

Harry Fingerman
Probably gained from the free healthcare. Exactly.

Martian_mind
Exactly.

Damn,thats a good system.

We just rely on Barbecues,beaches,babes and beers.

Thats what we call the 4 b's.

Mindship
Overpowered / Underpowered are relative terms: overpowered / underpowered compared to what? If you have (eg) Superman fight common thugs, he's way too overpowered; but not if he fights Doomsday or Darkseid level characters.

Personally, I prefer the cosmics. The problem is, you don't want them in situations where they will be overpowering, because that invites PIS and CIS, which detracts from the whole story.

lando005
Originally posted by Mindship
Overpowered / Underpowered are relative terms: overpowered / underpowered compared to what? If you have (eg) Superman fight common thugs, he's way too overpowered; but not if he fights Doomsday or Darkseid level characters.

Personally, I prefer the cosmics. The problem is, you don't want them in situations where they will be overpowering, because that invites PIS and CIS, which detracts from the whole story. over powered in the terms of do you prefer people like superman who's pretty much invulnerable to harm and never at risk from common things as oppose to say captain america who fights the same types of dangers but is also at risk to the common thug who gets a luck shot

lando005
bump

Bad Ash231
Originally posted by Creshosk
Hindsight is 20/20... but still.

Maybe marvel read these posts and decided to prove you wrong. mad

It's all Batdude's fault!

lando005
it's always his fault

*T*
He means Marvel isn't going to kill off Captain America. Wow. How wrong. laughing out loud

llagrok
Originally posted by Bad Ash231
It's all Batdude's fault!

He pissed off Bendis and Quesada, and then they killed Cap to piss him off.

Magneto's next!

Kutulu
Originally posted by Mindship

Personally, I prefer the cosmics. The problem is, you don't want them in situations where they will be overpowering, because that invites PIS and CIS, which detracts from the whole story.

^^ co-signed. It's all relative. Cosmic powered heroes should be facing threats of the level that's appropriate, e.g. threats starting at the planetary level on outwards.

One of my favorite fight scenes of all time was Galactus vs. the In-betweener, both incredibly powerful creatures but the story was written well enough to captivate the reader.

lando005
Originally posted by Kutulu
^^ co-signed. It's all relative. Cosmic powered heroes should be facing threats of the level that's appropriate, e.g. threats starting at the planetary level on outwards.

One of my favorite fight scenes of all time was Galactus vs. the In-betweener, both incredibly powerful creatures but the story was written well enough to captivate the reader. my thing was there were many times where i swa heroes who would be over powered for a situation or upgraded beyond the level of threats they normally face, yet continue to face said threats, For example the whole wolverine being immortal thing with a beyond godly healing factor, no matter what way you slice it that just made the character dull, he was never in any real danger. When sups is off fighting doomsday level threats all the time i'm fine with that, it's when he fights kingpin level threats and then gets a bunch of props for being such an outstanding hero that annoys me, not just saying that bout him that goes for any hero who is "pussy footing" it, heroes on that level shouldnt be stationed on earth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.