Is There a difference between Inteligence and Wisdom?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jack of Blades
I think yes

FoxMeister
Wisdom is advising people when they dont know what to do. Intelligence is knowing things. Wisdom is helping people, intelligence is helping yourself huh sometimes i dont know if i make sense.

Jack of Blades
Originally posted by FoxMeister
Wisdom is advising people when they dont know what to do. Intelligence is knowing things. Wisdom is helping people, intelligence is helping yourself huh sometimes i dont know if i make sense.
Well you did point out my diea that Wisdom is NOt The Same as Ieligence.Many people i know dont know the difference

Regret
Originally posted by Jack of Blades
Is There a difference between Intelligence and Wisdom? Yes.

Intelligence is the ability to act appropriately given current knowledge.

Wisdom is understanding when action is required and advisable regardless of knowledge.

redcaped
Intelligence equals knowledge...Wisdom is being smart.

Kayne Archeron
it seems like Intelligence is technical knowledge, and Wisdom is your level of common sense

Storm
Originally posted by Regret
Yes.

Intelligence is the ability to act appropriately given current knowledge.

Wisdom is understanding when action is required and advisable regardless of knowledge.
Making the best use of available knowledge has been regarded as a definition of wisdom by some.

Bardock42
Yes there is.

redcaped
I'm better than either of them.

Adam_PoE
Intelligence and wisdom are not synonymous, e.g. animals display intelligence, but do not display wisdom.

debbiejo
I agree

Charmed_Phoebe
hmmm, if I had 5 wisdom teeth does that make me wise? smile

debbiejo
X 5....

Charmed_Phoebe
smile yea but I had two taken out...maybe thats my problem..hehe.

debbiejo
X5 - 2 = +3

I guess you're average. smart whistle

lord xyz
Originally posted by Jack of Blades
I think yes Wisdom is where you have good judgement, intelligence is where you have good skills.

Atlantis001
Intelligence concerns reason, the use of logic, ability to make abstractions and the objective understanding of concepts and ideas. Intelligence is objective thinking.

Wisdom is subjective, it is related to intuition, it is an ability to know something at the level of experience, or sensation. Not just being able to give an operational description of something(that is related to intelligence), but wisdom is knowing how it feels like.

Mindship
Being knowledgable means you know a lot of facts, when to spit them out to support a position, for example.

Being intelligent means, for example, going beyond the facts, making logical connections to arrive at new conclusions, perhaps being able to anticipate specific outcomes.

Wisdom is going beyond the logical connections and specific outcomes. It is intelligence garnered from sheer length of life experience, noting meta-connections, using panoramic logic and intuition to recognize patterns too immense for linear, laser-focus logic to notice by itself.

Strangelove
Put simply:Intelligence is knowledge
Wisdom is common sense

Council#13
Basically, if I can read these people's minds instead of reading their posts, they're trying to say that Wisdom is about everyday life, giving advice, and knowing how to improve. Intelligence is having a quick mind that can be applied in everyday life.

§P0oONY
I have a friend; Straight A student, thought "Tie Rack" was a country (you can't write that shit)...

There is a difference.

Regret
Originally posted by Storm
Making the best use of available knowledge has been regarded as a definition of wisdom by some. Acting appropriately is not necessarily making the best use of available knowledge. Making the best use of available knowledge is wisdom, responding appropriately is intelligence.

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by Strangelove
Put simply:Intelligence is knowledge
Wisdom is common sense

exactly what i said earlier

Regret
Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
exactly what i said earlier Although it is incorrect. Intelligence does not equal knowledge, and knowledge does not equal intelligence.

The Black Ghost
Intelligence is a combination of intuition, problem-solving, beleifs, and comprehension. Wisdom is knowing how to use them.

Mindship
Wisdom subsumes Intelligence.

Regret
Originally posted by Mindship
Wisdom subsumes Intelligence. I do not believe this is necessarily true. I believe the two concepts to be separate and perhaps wholly unrelated. An extremely unintelligent individual can be wise, and an extremely intelligent person can be wise.

Mindship
I do not believe this is necessarily true. I believe the two concepts to be separate and perhaps wholly unrelated. An extremely unintelligent individual can be wise, and an extremely intelligent person can be wise.

I have to disagree. Both are dependent on learning, and the more intelligent you are, the faster/better you learn (all else being equal, ie, not counting contaminating variables, like stubbornness or a learning disability).

I do feel an uneducated person can be very wise. But if one lacks intelligence to learn from the past (eg, has poor memory; doesn't see relationships between variables) and can't anticipate/plan for the future (extrapolate from the past to consider/predict pre-experienced variables and their possible relationships), then wisdom will lag.

Intelligence is knowing what to do. Wisdom is knowing how, when and why. Wisdom lets you see the bigger picture, while intelligence helps to understand the details.

Regret
I have to disagree. Both are dependent on learning, and the more intelligent you are, the faster/better you learn (all else being equal, ie, not counting contaminating variables, like stubbornness or a learning disability).

I do feel an uneducated person can be very wise. But if one lacks intelligence to learn from the past (eg, has poor memory; doesn't see relationships between variables) and can't anticipate/plan for the future (extrapolate from the past to consider/predict pre-experienced variables and their possible relationships), then wisdom will lag.

Intelligence is knowing what to do. Wisdom is knowing how, when and why. Wisdom lets you see the bigger picture, while intelligence helps to understand the details. Thus, wisdom is not intelligence. Wisdom is the understanding of the proper, or appropriate, application of knowledge. Intelligence is the ability to gain knowledge. If intelligence is knowledge, you are correct. I do not believe intelligence is knowledge. Wisdom lags in your example in that the intelligence was not there for the individual to have the ability to gain the knowledge necessary to make a decision that would have been more wise given a broader knowledge base.

Mindship
Thus, wisdom is not intelligence.
I agree. That's why I said wisdom subsumes intelligence. Thinking visually, intelligence is figure to wisdom's ground.

Wisdom is the understanding of the proper, or appropriate, application of knowledge. Intelligence is the ability to gain knowledge. If intelligence is knowledge, you are correct. I do not believe intelligence is knowledge.
Again I agree: being intelligent is Not necessarily the same as being knowledgeable.

Sounds like we are saying the same thing...not bad for a behaviorist and mentalist wink

Regret
Sounds like we are saying the same thing...not bad for a behaviorist and mentalist wink Perhaps we are wink I think oftentimes behavior analysts and mentalists say the same things, we just don't always appreciate the portions between the data and the "boiled down" conclusion that the other uses wink

usagi_yojimbo
Originally posted by The Black Ghost
Intelligence is a combination of intuition, problem-solving, beleifs, and comprehension. Wisdom is knowing how to use them.

But as my great granddaddy used to say - "if there ain't no love involved, then it's all pretty much worthless anyway.."

Regret
Originally posted by usagi_yojimbo
But as my great granddaddy used to say - "if there ain't no love involved, then it's all pretty much worthless anyway.." Regardless, absence or presence of love does not alter the discussion at hand.

usagi_yojimbo
Regardless, absence or presence of love does not alter the discussion at hand.

Only to an individual who doesn't truly believe in love.

Atlantis001
A typical RPGistic question it is.

Quiero Mota
Yes.

Intelligence: Your born capactiy to learn, in other words your potential.

Wisdom: Acquired knowledge that you gain through experience.

Darth Zedster
Thus, wisdom is not intelligence. Wisdom is the understanding of the proper, or appropriate, application of knowledge. Intelligence is the ability to gain knowledge. If intelligence is knowledge, you are correct. I do not believe intelligence is knowledge. Wisdom lags in your example in that the intelligence was not there for the individual to have the ability to gain the knowledge necessary to make a decision that would have been more wise given a broader knowledge base.

Agreed! big grin

Green Arrow
Intelligence speaks, wisdom listens.

Not nearly enough people with even a hint of wisdom.

debbiejo
That is very very good!

Atlantis001
I would put things this way :

Intelligence defines things and attemps to put them in some form of language. Intelligence express things that already exist but are not in form of language yet.

Wisdom is about how much we really understand those things and it does not depend on one being able to define them well. It simply measures if we know those things, not if we are able to define them or not.

In other words :

Intelligence gives form to things, while wisdom understands them.

And nice way to define it Green Arrow.

Shirley Manson
I really have to tell you this. Intelligence doesn't mean knowing stuff, 'cause your IQ is something that's decided the moment you're born. I only know this 'cause my shrink told me so, I'm not knowledge girl.
So I had to do this IQ test and I did well, it said I have extremely high intelligence, which is quite weird since I was an average student and stuff.
So learning is really not my schtick and God knows I'm not a teensy weensy wise at all. I only have a logical thinking, I guess. Anyway, intelligence doesn't mean that you know, like, every Dickens novel by heart. It means you understand.

ragesRemorse
i thought wisdom was knowledge earned through life experiences and observations, where as intelligence is absorbed knowledged

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Drusilla
I really have to tell you this. Intelligence doesn't mean knowing stuff, 'cause your IQ is something that's decided the moment you're born. I only know this 'cause my shrink told me so, I'm not knowledge girl.
So I had to do this IQ test and I did well, it said I have extremely high intelligence, which is quite weird since I was an average student and stuff.
So learning is really not my schtick and God knows I'm not a teensy weensy wise at all. I only have a logical thinking, I guess. Anyway, intelligence doesn't mean that you know, like, every Dickens novel by heart. It means you understand.

Intelligence is a measurement of what one knows, whereas Intelligence Quotient or I.Q. is a measurement of how one thinks, e.g. one can have an average I.Q. and be highly intelligent, one can have an exceptional I.Q. and be of average intelligence, and so on.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Wisdom is the ability, developed through experience, insight and reflection, to discern truth and exercise good judgment.

Intelligence is a property of mind that encompasses many related mental abilities, such as the capacities to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn.

intelegent purp
Yes there is a difference.
wisdom is the proper application of knowledge.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.