This article suprises me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_differences

I never thought USA was that dyslexic. (No offence to any dyslexics)

Scottie
pernickety - persnickety

laughing out loud Why add an "S"

Strangelove
That's not dyslexic at all...you do know what dyslexia is, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

lord xyz
Originally posted by Strangelove
That's not dyslexic at all...you do know what dyslexia is, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia Yeah, when you can't spell. I mean, offense instead of offence? Theater instead of theatre? Sulfur instead of sulpher? Tire instead of tyre? Actually, I think tire is also too posh for you guys, maybe tier would work better.

edit: Y-fronts = tighty whiteys?

WTF?

Strangelove
Originally posted by lord xyz
Theater instead of theatre? we use both. Theater for cinema, theatre for live-on-stage

Lana
Dyslexia is when you have trouble reading things because your mind changes around different letters. Not not being able to spell.

Try knowing what you're talking about roll eyes (sarcastic)

Strangelove
Yeah, when you can't spell. No, it's when you have trouble recognizing words, but spelling can be a part of it

lord xyz
we use both. Theater for cinema, theatre for live-on-stage I thought you guys say movies instead of cinema.

lord xyz
No, it's when you have trouble recognizing words, but spelling can be a part of it recognising. no expression

Strangelove
I thought you guys say movies instead of cinema. I use both srug

Lana
I thought you guys say movies instead of cinema.

Usually people in the US use movie theater instead of cinema, yes, but that can also be a local thing.

Strangelove
recognising. no expression says the monarchist no expression

lord xyz
Originally posted by Lana
Usually people in the US use movie theater instead of cinema, yes, but that can also be a local thing. Cinema is the proper term.

Lana
Hey, lord xyz, have you actually read that article, or did you simply skim the parts that show different spellings?

lord xyz
Hey, lord xyz, have you actually read that article, or did you simply skim the parts that show different spellings? Yes, I read (some of) it.

Lana
Yes, I read (some of) it.

I'm guessing you really didn't or you'd notice that, according to it, many of the spelling patterns used in American English also were (or still are) seen in British English as well.

Thorinn
I say......who cares.

srug

lord xyz
I'm guessing you really didn't or you'd notice that, according to it, many of the spelling patterns used in American English also were (or still are) seen in British English as well. I don't think I see that on the article.

Lana
I don't think I see that on the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_differences#Latin-derived_spellings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_differences#-ise_.2F_-ize

Try taking a look at those sections stick out tongue

You know, it really looks quite bad on someone if they try using an article to prove a point having not even read said article.

Scottie
I'm guessing you really didn't or you'd notice that, according to it, many of the spelling patterns used in American English also were (or still are) seen in British English as well. Please tell me that Americans don't call it American Engligh laughing out loud

Lana
Originally posted by Scottie
Please tell me that Americans don't call it American Engligh laughing out loud

We simply call it English. It's the same damn language. EVERY language has variations in spelling/pronounciation, depending on where you are. It's not something specific to just English.

Scottie
We simply call it English. It's the same damn language. EVERY language has variations in spelling/pronounciation, depending on where you are. It's not something specific to just English. We use english and have the same spellings...we have slang but we dont just change the language willy nilly

Strangelove
We use english and have the same spellings...we have slang but we dont just change the language willy nilly Neither do we....it took decades for those spelling changes to take placeOriginally posted by Lana
We simply call it English. It's the same damn language. EVERY language has variations in spelling/pronounciation, depending on where you are. It's not something specific to just English. You don't need to be so combative, Lana...

Scottie
Neither do we....it took decades for those spelling changes to take place There was no need to change the spellings in the first place

Lana
Neither do we....it took decades for those spelling changes to take place You don't need to be so combative, Lana...

Decades, more like centuries.

And I'm not being combative, I'm just a bit annoyed at how a few people here have a bit of a superiority complex over spelling things differently, apparently not realizing that languages change over time, especially when countries use them are located very far apart. I mean, compare Spanish spoken in Mexico to Spain. Or Canadian French to French spoken in French. Or Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese in Portugal. It happens, and either version is correct. Dialects, kiddies. That's what it's called.

lord xyz
Please tell me that Americans don't call it American Engligh laughing out loud laughing out loud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_differences#Latin-derived_spellings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_differences#-ise_.2F_-ize

Try taking a look at those sections stick out tongue

You know, it really looks quite bad on someone if they try using an article to prove a point having not even read said article. I read the latter, but I noticed it also said "ize" isn't very common in the UK, and it isn't. Making that invalid. As for the former, it says that a long time ago both were acceptable, hwever, the "or" prefix was dropped, except in America.

Then again "our" to "or" isn't as rediculous as "ae" to "e" even though it's a foriegn* word.

*I think I spelt that wrong. embarrasment

vraya the great
There was no need to change the spellings in the first place Meh, It's like a fad, it just lasts longer. I guarantee that 200 years from now they're goin to have a different dialect because someone said it and it sounded cool.

lord xyz
We simply call it English. It's the same damn language. EVERY language has variations in spelling/pronounciation, depending on where you are. It's not something specific to just English. Yes, but we invented it.

Strangelove
There was no need to change the spellings in the first place according to the article, this is from a time when spelling was dictated by dictionaries, and Webster, the writer of Webster's dictionary, was a "strong proponent of spelling reform." so it was really him, not the whole of America.Originally posted by Lana
And I'm not being combative, I'm just a bit annoyed at how a few people here have a bit of a superiority complex over spelling things differently, apparently not realizing that languages change over time, especially when countries use them are located very far apart. I mean, compare Spanish spoken in Mexico to Spain. Or Canadian French to French spoken in French. Or Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese in Portugal. It happens, and either version is correct. Dialects, kiddies. That's what it's called. I agree about the dialects, it just felt like you were being extra-annoyed stick out tongue

vraya the great
according to the article, this is from a time when spelling was dictated by dictionaries, and Webster, the writer of Webster's dictionary, was a "strong proponent of spelling reform." so it was really him, not the whole of America. Damn Webster to hell stick out tongue

Strangelove
Yes, but we invented it. No, the English simply stole their language influences form everything else. Neither of us 'invented' shit

lord xyz
Originally posted by vraya the great
Meh, It's like a fad, it just lasts longer. I guarantee that 200 years from now they're goin to have a different dialect because someone said it and it sounded cool. Yes, because that's how everything else starts.

"Hey, lets spell "cheque" "check" so it's easier to recognise."
"Why?"
"Cos it'll be cool."
"Okay, from now on, we'll mispell cheque."

Lana

Strangelove
The more we discuss this the more I feel it belongs in the GDF

Scottie
No, the English simply stole their language influences form everything else. Neither of us 'invented' shit But named it english...why do you still call it english when its spelt wrong...why dont you change it to....Yankish eek!

Scottie
Yes, because that's how everything else starts.

"Why?"
"Cos it'll be cool."
"Okay, from now on, we'll mispell cheque." laughing out loud

Strangelove
But named it english...why do you still call it english when its spelt wrong...why dont you change it to....Yankish :ekk: sounds like a plan yes

vraya the great
But named it english...why do you still call it english when its spelt wrong...why dont you change it to....Yankish :ekk: Because english sounds cooler than"yankish". How 'bout... Americanese

Strangelove

"Why?"
"Cos it'll be cool."
"Okay, from now on, we'll mispell cheque." that's why I spell pqants with a 'q'....it's soooo cool

lord xyz

Lana
But named it english...why do you still call it english when its spelt wrong...why dont you change it to....Yankish eek!

Because spelling a few things differently doesn't make it a different language. It still uses the same vocabulary, grammar, etc. ermm

silver_tears
We simply call it English. It's the same damn language. EVERY language has variations in spelling/pronounciation, depending on where you are. It's not something specific to just English.

Um no, no it doesn't.
French spelling is french spelling no mater what part of the world you're in that speaks French, etc.
The dialect in speech may be dfferent, but the spelling is always the same.

Scottie

"Why?"
"Cos it'll be cool."
"Okay, from now on, we'll mispell cheque."

"Hey lets trick these yanks into thinking that a fanny is actualy a bum"
"Yeh, we'll be laughing about this one for years"

lord xyz
Because spelling a few things differently doesn't make it a different language. It still uses the same vocabulary, grammar, etc. ermm Not really. In the UK we have things like Question marks outside of quote marks, whereas you guys, have this obcession about fitting them all in the quote marks.

Eg.

Andrew said "Hi Bob." -- US
Andrew said "Hi Bob.". -- UK

Can you type "Foget it?" -- US
Can you type "Forget it"? -- UK

Also, we have Us, Ys, Ws etc. you have U's, Y's, W's etc.

And you guys fuse words together whereas we use hyphens, or don't bother.

Lana
Originally posted by silver_tears
Um no, no it doesn't.
French spelling is french spelling no mater what part of the world you're in that speaks French, etc.
The dialect in speech may be dfferent, but the spelling is always the same.

Mmmmm, not always. I know people who live in different countries that speak the same language and there can be variations in spellings, depending on the location.

Strangelove
But named it english...why do you still call it english when its spelt wrong...why dont you change it to....Yankish eek! Originally posted by Lana
Because spelling a few things differently doesn't make it a different language. It still uses the same vocabulary, grammar, etc. ermm exactly, they don't call the Spanish in Mexico Mexican, or Venezuelan, or Peruvian

lord xyz
"Hey lets trick these yanks into thinking that a fanny is actualy a bum"
"Yeh, we'll be laughing about this one for years" Yeah, what's up with that?

Lana
Not really. In the UK we have things like Question marks outside of quote marks, whereas you guys, have this obcession about fitting them all in the quote marks.

Eg.

And you guys fuse words together whereas we use hyphens, or don't bother.

Wrong on both.

Where a punctuation mark goes in regards to quotes is dependent on whether the quote is a question (in which case it goes inside of them), or if the sentence itself is a question but the quote is not (in which case it goes outside).

And the proper form here is also "Us, Ys, Ws"; people just tend to use apostrophes to clarify it, I suppose. But it's not proper form.

I keep wanting to type "forum" instead of "form".

Thorinn
Who gives a **** how we spell words differently, colonists seperated from England hundreds of years ago, they were bound to change a few things.

Strangelove
Not really. In the UK we have things like Question marks outside of quote marks, whereas you guys, have this obcession about fitting them all in the quote marks.

Eg.

And you guys fuse words together whereas we use hyphens, or don't bother. that still doesn't make it a different language entirely...

how come you guys never get on the Australians for screwing up English?

lord xyz
Wrong on both.

Where a punctuation mark goes in regards to quotes is dependent on whether the quote is a question (in which case it goes inside of them), or if the sentence itself is a question but the quote is not (in which case it goes outside).

And the proper form here is also "Us, Ys, Ws"; people just tend to use apostrophes to clarify it, I suppose. But it's not proper form.

I keep wanting to type "forum" instead of "form". Hmm, maybe I should re-think this.

Originally posted by Thorinn
Who gives a **** how we spell words differently, colonists seperated from England hundreds of years ago, they were bound to change a few things. Yes, but does that mean they had to drop the pronunciation of "h"?

lord xyz
that still doesn't make it a different language entirely...

how come you guys never get on the Australians for screwing up English? Cos they're not as bad. They still say "ise" and "our", they have some variations, but that's because of Americanism.

Thorinn
Hmm, maybe I should re-think this.

Yes, but does that mean they had to drop the pronunciation of "h"? Yeah. ermm

Strangelove
Yes, but does that mean they had to drop the pronunciation of "h"? What? blink

Scottie
that still doesn't make it a different language entirely...

how come you guys never get on the Australians for screwing up English? Because we sent the Aussies packin whereas you guys left...it made is angry

Strangelove
Cos they're not as bad. They still say "ise" and "our", they have some variations, but that's because of Americanism. Are you kidding? they just invent new words, like billabong, or pallywack, or skitserdoodle!

Thorinn
Because we sent the Aussies packin whereas you guys left...it made is angry laughing out loud

Lana
Hmm, maybe I should re-think this.

laughing out loud

And also, on your comment about hyphens with putting together two words...really, as far as I know, hyphenating the words, putting them together into one, or leaving them as two seperate words can all be considered correct.

Languages change over time. Just because dialects form does not make one more correct than another, because they are ultimately nothing more than different forms of the same thing.

lord xyz
Are you kidding? they just invent new words, like billabong, or pallywack, or skitserdoodle! Making up words is okay, it's just changing words that's the problem. Like Pasafire, or whatever it's called.

What? blink Herb. no expression

Lana
Cos they're not as bad. They still say "ise" and "our", they have some variations, but that's because of Americanism.

Didn't I already point out both 'our' and 'or' having been commonly used, and 'ize' being closer to the original spelling from the derivations? stick out tongue 'ise' comes from French.

lord xyz
laughing out loud

And also, on your comment about hyphens with putting together two words...really, as far as I know, hyphenating the words, putting them together into one, or leaving them as two seperate words can all be considered correct.

Languages change over time. Just because dialects form does not make one more correct than another, because they are ultimately nothing more than different forms of the same thing. Yes, but do you guys really had to change half of the suffixes? And change some more words along with it? Like Trousers?

Strangelove
Making up words is okay, it's just changing words that's the problem. Like Pasafire, or whatever it's called.

Herb. no expression pacifer?

and what about words like herb or hour? why is that such a big difference?

Strangelove
Yes, but do you guys really had to change half of the suffixes? And change some more words along with it? Like Trousers? I repeat...is it really that big a deal?

lord xyz
Didn't I already point out both 'our' and 'or' having been commonly used, and 'ize' being closer to the original spelling from the derivations? stick out tongue 'ise' comes from French. Quiet, you're making me look bad. ermm

lord xyz
I repeat...is it really that big a deal? Yes, because it can get confusing and annoying at sometimes.

We park our cars in the car park.
You park your automobiles in the parking lot.

And WTF does "sidewalk" actually mean? Is it a walk you side on or a siding walk?

Lana
Yes, but do you guys really had to change half of the suffixes? And change some more words along with it? Like Trousers?

Trousers, when it's used here, is usually used more specifically; pants is just general clothing that covers your legs.

Quiet, you're making me look bad. ermm

Well, best to remember what's already been discussed then stick out tongue

Lana
Yes, because it can get confusing and annoying at sometimes.

We park our cars in the car park.
You park your automobiles in the parking lot.

And WTF does "sidewalk" actually mean? Is it a walk you side on or a siding walk?

Um, I've never heard anyone use 'automobile' instead of 'car' here.

And, well, it's a lot to park a car in, hence parking lot.

Sidewalk = place on the side of the street for people to walk on. Also known as pavement in the UK.

Most of your examples you've come up with are not confusing at all and pretty self-explanatory.

Strangelove
Um, I've never heard anyone use 'automobile' instead of 'car' here.

And, well, it's a lot to park a car in, hence parking lot.

Sidewalk = place on the side of the street for people to walk on. Also known as pavement in the UK.

Most of your examples you've come up with are not confusing at all and pretty self-explanatory. I was about to say just that stick out tongue

I echo it fervently

Thorinn
own him again Lana.

Scottie
A)

Airplane - Aeroplane
Aluminum - Aluminium
Apartment - Flat
Appetizer - Entree, Starter
Archeology - Archaeology

srug

Thorinn
A)

Airplane - Aeroplane
Aluminum - Aluminium
Apartment - Flat
Archeology - Archaeology

srug Sottee-Scottie.

no expression

Scottie
B)

Babysitter - Minder
Baked Potato - Jacket Potato
Bathroom - Loo, The Toilet
Band-Aid - Elastoplast,Plaster
Bank Teller - Cashier
Bedspread - Similar to a Eiderdown and Duvet
Billion - Trillion
Bleachers - Terrace
Braces (for teeth) - Brace

srug

Lana
A)

Airplane - Aeroplane
Aluminum - Aluminium
Apartment - Flat
Archeology - Archaeology

srug

Flat is used in the US (though usually in the term of a building with 3 apartments in it would be called a three-flat), and an entree refers to the meal itself. Archaeology is also used in the US.

Strangelove
Band-Aid - Elastoplast,Plaster elastoplast? Please don't tell me you think that that's easier than band-aid

Thorinn
elastoplast? Please don't tell me you think that that's easier than band-aid Your talking to a sophisticated man there, of course it is.

Lana
B)

Babysitter - Minder
Baked Potato - Jacket Potato
Bathroom - Loo, The Toilet
Band-Aid - Elastoplast,Plaster
Bank Teller - Cashier
Bedspread - Similar to a Eiderdown and Duvet
Billion - Trillion
Bleachers - Terrace
Braces (for teeth) - Brace

srug

Baked potato...well, that's what it is. It's a potato that's baked. Band-aid is a brand name that's come into popular use for small bandages. Bank teller is also obvious, it's a teller that works in a bank; cashier is used for someone who works in a store. Bedspread, comforter, and duvet are all used interchangably, depending on the area.

Scottie
C)

Call (on the phone) - Ring
Can - Tin
Candy - Sweets
Catalog - Catalogue
Cents - Pence
Chapstick - Lip Balm
Check - Cheque
Checkers - Draughts
Chips - Crisps
Cigarette - ***
Closet (bedroom) - Wardrobe
Collect Call - Reverse Charge Call
Color - Colour
Cookie - Biscuit
Cotton Candy - Candy Floss
Commercial - Advertisment
Cracker - Savoury biscuit
Crib - Cot
Cross Walk - Zebra Crossing, Pedestrian Crossing
Crossing Gaurd - Lollipop Man
Cupcake - Fairy Cake
Curb - Kerb

srug

Scottie
D)

Detour - Diversion
Diaper - Nappy
Dollar Bill - Note
Drugstore - Chemist
Duplex - Semi-Detached House

srug

Scottie
E)

Eggplant - Aubergine
Elevator - Lift
Emergency Room - Casualty
Eraser - Rubber
Expensive - Dear

srug

Scottie
F)

Faucet - Tap
Favorite - Favourite
Fire Department - Fire Brigade
Flashlight - Torch
A Flirt - Tart
Freeway (Expressway) - Motorway, Carriageway

srug

Lana
You know, a lot of the stuff you're listing is just utterly ridiculous...

I'd dissect your (non-existant) point but I'm too busy biting the heads off of gummi bears.

So I'll just say it again. DIALECTS.

lord xyz
elastoplast? Please don't tell me you think that that's easier than band-aid No, it's formal and intelectual.Originally posted by Lana
Baked potato...well, that's what it is. It's a potato that's baked. Band-aid is a brand name that's come into popular use for small bandages. Bank teller is also obvious, it's a teller that works in a bank; cashier is used for someone who works in a store. Bedspread, comforter, and duvet are all used interchangably, depending on the area. store = shop

store is a verb.

Scottie
G)

Garbage Man - Dustman
Garter Belt - Suspenders
Gasoline - Petrol
Golashes - Wellingtons, Wellies
Gray - Grey

srug

lord xyz

I'd dissect your (non-existant) point but I'm too busy biting the heads off of gummi bears.

So I'll just say it again. DIALECTS. He copy n pasting it from Wiki. Or how you guys say Cut n pasting it.

lord xyz
G)

Garbage Man - Dustman
Garter Belt - Suspenders
Gasoline - Petrol
Golashes - Wellingtons, Wellies
Gray - Grey

srug Dust-bin man

Wikipedia sucks ass.

Scottie

So I'll just say it again. DIALECTS. just pionting out the differences

Every part of britain has its own dialect from Glasgow to Edinburgh and From London to Newcastle, we all have our own words and use them everyday e.g In Scotland we say "Ken" instead of "Know" but we still say that "know" is the correct spelling

Lana
No, it's formal and intelectual. store = shop

store is a verb.

Shop is a verb, i.e. going shopping. A store is a place you can shop in. Shop is generally only used if it's in the name of the store.

He copy n pasting it from Wiki. Or how you guys say Cut n pasting it.

No one says "cut and paste" that I've ever heard.

just pionting out the differences

Every part of britain has its own dialect from Glasgow to Edinburgh and From London to Newcastle, we all have our own words and use them everyday e.g In Scotland we say "Ken" instead of "Know" but we still say that "know" is the correct spelling

No need to tell me that, I know that already. Do you think America's any different in that respect? stick out tongue

lord xyz
just pionting out the differences

Every part of britain has its own dialect from Glasgow to Edinburgh and From London to Newcastle, we all have our own words and use them everyday e.g In Scotland we say "Ken" instead of "Know" but we still say that "know" is the correct spelling Glasgow to Edinburgh isn't as far as London to Newcastle, London to Newcastle is like 350 miles.

But you're right, I mean, look at cockney rhyming slang. ermm

lord xyz
Shop is a verb, i.e. going shopping. A store is a place you can shop in. Shop is generally only used if it's in the name of the store. People shop in a shop like people yacht on a yacht. srug

Shop makes more sense anyway.

Scottie
Shop is a verb, i.e. going shopping. A store is a place you can shop in. Shop is generally only used if it's in the name of the store.
Thats another Americanism...over here a shop is a shop

"Im off to the shops"

"Did you see that new shop that opened?"

"It is a clothes shop"

Lana
People shop in a shop like people yacht on a yacht. srug

Shop makes more sense anyway.

Well, there's likely places in the US that use shop instead of store.

But really, why does it matter? You know what they mean.

Strangelove
No, it's formal and intelectual. Are you trying to say that Americans are stupid again? mad

Because I completely agree shakefist

except me, right? confused and a few others?

silver_tears
I'm not American, it's alright baby ermm

Kram3r
Hahaha, this is very interesting. One of the better things discussed here recently in OTF. Personally, I use a bit from both.

http://www.ie-forums.com/images/avatars/7096544354348946a75bfc.jpg

You know what really grinds my gears? The system of measurement used in both your countries. WTF is a pound? That shit isn't easy to round up at all both in measurement and currency. You wanna know what also grinds my gears? That f*cking miles system. That shit looks retarded.

lord xyz
Are you trying to say that Americans are stupid again? mad

Because I completely agree shakefist

except me, right? confused and a few others? yeah, you and a few others are smart.

Originally posted by Kram3r
Hahaha, this is very interesting. One of the better things discussed here recently in OTF. Personally, I use a bit from both.

http://www.ie-forums.com/images/avatars/7096544354348946a75bfc.jpg

You know what really grinds my gears? The system of measurement used in both your countries. WTF is a pound? That shit isn't easy to round up at all both in measurement and currency. You wanna know what also grinds my gears? That f*cking miles system. That shit looks retarded. In the UK we use the metric system, imperial is so we don't have to change road signs and other things. We use the Pound because it's worth more than the Euro.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.