Limited...........The God of certain people

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
Is a limited god worthy of being served, and why should it............Limited means that it is not in control.......

Alliance
This is kind of like the your either an obsessive findamentalist or a agnostic argument.

People can worship wh othey choose? If its just one face of a god, who cares which face you worship.

Since worship it pretty pointless anyway imo, who cares what people do as long as it doesn't intrude on the lives of others.

Regret
Originally posted by debbiejo
Is a limited god worthy of being served, and why should it............Limited means that it is not in control....... Without defined laws there is not existence. God, by virtue of existence is limited by that existence. Just because there are limits does not make a leader less worthy of serving/following. If God exists, he is worthy of following. If he exists and is not worthy of following, then no one is worthy of following.

DigiMark007
Romantic poets such as William Blake had a popular conception of God during that time.

They imagined that God thought he was the creator and beginning of all that is....but he was mistaken. He was merely the first creation of the true being that is the Alpha. So the "god" of scripture runs around spouting laws and decrees for his people, thinking himself to be the highest being in existence, and inherently flawed because of it.

Needless to say, it wasn't the most popular conception, but he and many of his peers became adept at spreading thier message in such a way that it didn't upset the masses too much.

Gregory
Sounds sort of Gnostic.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Regret
Just because there are limits does not make a leader less worthy of serving/following. . It does if it is truly a god.

Soleran
Is a limited god worthy of being served, and why should it............Limited means that it is not in control.......

Man's vanity requires it!

debbiejo
Then it's not a god is it.........

Regret
It does if it is truly a god. I would not trust a being without limits. God is God because he limits himself in that he will not do evil. Anything defined has limits.

Storm
Worship involves total and absolute devotion, and that means we give up whatever of ourselves is required. What sort of god merits such devotion?

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Romantic poets such as William Blake had a popular conception of God during that time.

They imagined that God thought he was the creator and beginning of all that is....but he was mistaken. He was merely the first creation of the true being that is the Alpha. So the "god" of scripture runs around spouting laws and decrees for his people, thinking himself to be the highest being in existence, and inherently flawed because of it.

Needless to say, it wasn't the most popular conception, but he and many of his peers became adept at spreading thier message in such a way that it didn't upset the masses too much.

Funny you mention William Blake. He thought God was cruel and evil. He called this god, "Urizen"

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Regret
I would not trust a being without limits. God is God because he limits himself in that he will not do evil. Anything defined has limits.

According to the Old Testament God sent the Angel of Death to slaughter the first born sons of Egypt as a personal attack to the Pharoah...

At the time of Noah, God created a flood which wiped out not only the majority of mankind, but legions of innocent animals.

Back at the time of Moses, God sent plagues such as Locusts and disease to harass and punish the people of Egypt.

God also burnt the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha to ash...

How come when God does something cruel, it's not "evil" ? roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
Because god said so.???.........

Lord Urizen
Because god said so.???.........

And how do we know God said so?

Because the Bible says it

How do we know the Bible is true?

Because God wrote it

How do we know God wrote it ?

Because it's the word of God

And...how do we know its the word of God ?

Because God wrote it

Again...how do you know that? Where's your proof?

You have to be Born-Again to see the truth. If you don't beleive, you won't see the truth.

So If I believe, then I'll see?

Yes. If you beleive it, then you will know its true. If you don't beleive it, then you will not see that it's true

This circular reasoning bullshit can go on and on and on, forever.

debbiejo
yep, I agree, it could on for ever and ever...know why???............because god says so.......... laughing out loud

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Funny you mention William Blake. He thought God was cruel and evil. He called this god, "Urizen"

I know. But I actually thought "Urizen" (your reason), was the human answer to flawed conceptions of a Christian God. Maybe I'm wrong....been a while since I studied Blake. In either case, he has a poem or two with deliberate plays on those words and ideas, as well as plenty that talk about the nature of God and the flaws within Christian thinking.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.