Favorite American War

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morgoths_Wrath
Which American war (or war in which America was involved) is your favorite and why?

J-Beowulf
Tie between WWII and Desert Storm.

In WWII we rose up out of the depths of depression and defeated two world powers on two seperate fronts, helping preserve the free world. It was also the last conventional war, with front lines and the like, with two conventional military forces facing off against eachother. None of this guerila bullcrap.

Desert Storm is also my favorite because ot was so recent, and a very modern war. It proved to the world that the American Military was still very capable, and we absolutely crushed Saddam's massive, battle-hardened military.

Kelly_LS
Why sould someone have a favorite war? I don't understand that. People get killed in wars and you're thinking about which one was the best?....Fill me in on how WAR can be a GOOD thing?

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Kelly_LS
Why sould someone have a favorite war? I don't understand that. People get killed in wars and you're thinking about which one was the best?....Fill me in on how WAR can be a GOOD thing?

hahah, you should check out this thread big grin

oh yeah, and war can be a good thing by...

-Making America a free nation
-freeing the slaves
-stopping the Nazis and the Japanese from taking over the world
-um...getting control of Texas? embarrasment

among other things, but sometimes they are bad too. sometimes.

Alliance
The Civil war is very fun to study because it was the first Industrial War in the world.

Vietnam is interesting from a sociological respect.

But I really have to give it to WWII as it most significantly changed US military policy and represents the rise of American militarism.

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by J-Beowulf
Tie between WWII and Desert Storm.

In WWII we rose up out of the depths of depression and defeated two world powers on two seperate fronts, helping preserve the free world. It was also the last conventional war, with front lines and the like, with two conventional military forces facing off against eachother. None of this guerila bullcrap.

Desert Storm is also my favorite because ot was so recent, and a very modern war. It proved to the world that the American Military was still very capable, and we absolutely crushed Saddam's massive, battle-hardened military.

WW2 wasn't the last conventional war. Korea was a conventional war, and so was the Falkland Islands.

J-Beowulf
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
WW2 wasn't the last conventional war. Korea was a conventional war, and so was the Falkland Islands.

Fair enough, it is actually true embarrasment

I was talking about American wars though, so the Falkland Campaign plays no part here smile

Kelly_LS
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
hahah, you should check out this thread big grin

oh yeah, and war can be a good thing by...

-Making America a free nation
-freeing the slaves
-stopping the Nazis and the Japanese from taking over the world
-um...getting control of Texas? embarrasment

among other things, but sometimes they are bad too. sometimes.
I didn't mean for those purposes, I just meant War in general. Like killing.

Morgoths_Wrath
I didn't mean for those purposes, I just meant War in general. Like killing.

oh, yeah. that part.

yeah, I'd be nice if we could settle our differences without killing each other

Blax X
Or not. If there were never any wars, none of the great war games such as Halo, DoH, CoD, and others would not have been created.

I think it's a fair trade off /Sarcasm.

no expression

History Buff
I would venture to say that if you look at the history of warfare and the repercussions of them, often times wars actually CAUSE more problems than actually solve them.

Stealth Agent
I think we are forgetting an extremley important war.
Grenada?

But seriously wat the hell was the war 1812?

Yes ww2, was most interesting. It was Americas last good war, in this war we were clearly the good guys and they were clearly the bad guys, the last 60-70 years of fighting its been a little foggy. Though no disrespect to the vets out there.

Mr Parker

thats exactly what I was thinking.yeah makes no sense. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bardock42

Well..I have a rather excessive "better off dead" list...so, you might see why I can see good in wars.

bILLYgOAT
WWII
simply because i play a lot of mohaa COD2 and BF1942

Lord Coal
I had to go with 'Nam, purely cos those little guys did you boys a treat!

JerichoCross
The civil war, as it was the last one fought on American Soil.

RedAlertv2
WWII, since it was the most recent "right" war, as in one we actually needed to be fighting.

Trickster
Originally posted by Lord Coal
I had to go with 'Nam, purely cos those little guys did you boys a treat!

I went with 'Nam because for once the British didn't get messed up in an American war.

Menetnashté
I said WWII because it was kind of funny in my opinion what I mean by that is the stupidity of the japanese. What the hell were they thinkin'? Let's pick a fight with America so they don't attack first obviously it didn't matter much since we nuked 'em and won it

Lord Coal
Originally posted by Trickster
I went with 'Nam because for once the British didn't get messed up in an American war.

And look what happened. They need us more than they know.

drewbiefan
Histroy to me can be quite greatand interesting to learn about. However i think war times can come between todays world too much.

dirkdirden
Civil war was good times. Hay you speak funny, no yall yankies speak funny. Thats it. It's go time.

Strangelove
It's all about the Revolution, here!

Blue_Hefner
WWII because if we had ****ed up Japan with our plutonium bombs, we would never be friends with them

Fishy

chillmeistergen

pcp
America has never won a war on it's own

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by pcp

that's because we have lots of friends big grin

Seth Wynd
Korean War, as it showed that we do have a degree of self-restraint. Why?

Because we refused to let MacArthur use a total of 53 (or was it 59? ...hmmm...) Atom Bombs on both North Korea and China. One of the most famous generals we'd ever had, and we were able to tell him "no" when we really needed to.

H. S. 6
Seems kind of sadistic to choose a "favorite" war.

Seth Wynd

beta-wolf_101
Originally posted by pcp

No, we just help other people when theirs. And even with the Naval support of the French, we still fought all of the battles during the Revolution by ourselves. We pushed the British to the sea and the French held them their. 1812 was by ourselves anyway.

Seth Wynd
Originally posted by beta-wolf_101
No, we just help other people when theirs. And even with the Naval support of the French, we still fought all of the battles during the Revolution by ourselves. We pushed the British to the sea and the French held them their. 1812 was by ourselves anyway.

...hate to be the one to say this; but we got our asses kicked in the War of 1812. Only major victory came AFTER the treaty was signed >.>;

pcp
So to say, but this kind of discussion is exactly the reason why so many countries have hostile views of America. Having a favourite war is beyond ridiculous.

Lord Coal
What happened in 1812?

Seth Wynd
The US and Britain got into a fight over where Canada's border REALLY was, Britain wound up burning the White House to the ground (wasn't called the White House then, but moot point), and generally kicking Yankee ass everywhere they went. Only major victory we scored against them was in a naval battle after the treaty was signed to end the war (...and set Canada's border just about where it was BEFORE everybody started shooting one another).

Lord Coal
Originally posted by Seth Wynd
(...and set Canada's border just about where it was BEFORE everybody started shooting one another).

So one of those pointless wars that doesn't achieve anything then?

That'll teach Uncle sam the perils of screwing with the world's best military, then. Remember that around this time We (Yes 'We' with a capital W cos Britain was so great. it's not now, but blaim Blair.) were pawning France AND Spain, two major powerful nations, on land AND at sea.

Thanks for the info, Seth. I never knew about that war, which is disappointing as I consider history to be a strong point of mine.

IHateCaesar
Korean War cause my gramps manned a machine gun after his rifle ran out of ammo and started mowing down the north, then he picked one of the sticks up and started attacking them and still lived

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.