CotBP - Ended in 2 ways?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LovelyOne
I don't know why. But I get the feeling CotBP ended in two ways.

It ended closed for each character but it also ended with unresolved issues for each character.

Its like all the characters were given a set arc but there was also another thing going on at the same time.

Jack is after his pearl, he leaves with his pearl despite finding someone special in Elizabeth..he leaves with her on his mind IMO

Will is after Elizabeth, He ends with Elizabeth despite knowing his father is alive somewhere, He's the one thing he was after since before he even met her.

Elizabeth, Now this is harder to figure out. She's after Will, she ends with Will. But there is a shot that suggests its not where her heart truly lies as she says that line.. Its like she doesn't know it yet.

She's very behind(even in DMC)..Its like she has these potential feelings for him but she is at the same time completely oblivious to them. There are various shots in the movie, and moments where she is clearly infatuated with Jack and has been for much of her life.(even since before she met Will) Its like she just needs that awakening to him.

When you look at movie 2...you actually see these things start to materialize in the story for each character..of course if movie 2 is a continuation from movie 1 then they will need to build on something that was already there in PotC 1 and not resolved..and they have.

Its like their true arcs were set up with movie 1 but at the same time it closed for each character in a different way..and by movie 2 their arcs start to become realities for each of the characters.

I know loads of you will say to me "Jack didn't have leave with anything but freedom on his mind!!!" I would disagree. I can show you if you want. smile

Its like the main front story was where the ending was heading in movie 1 but for each character something else is there developing under the surface..Its not as important in movie 1 but by movie 2. Its there..or its starting to bud. Its like movie 1 was not the real ending..the real story for each character starts with movie 2.

If not, then why did they even add in these unresolved plot points into movie 1? Before even making a movie 2 that is??

katelovespirate
absolutely. smile its brilliant. and so true.

there is a ton left unresolved.

looking at the movie by itself, it seems to end satisfactorily. but looking at it in context of 3 movies, i'm going, there is so much junk under the surface, that it isnt even a happy ending.

Chiki Mina
True it still left unresolved. COTBP was an introduction of characters. I think the most that was unresolved was Jack. He left thinking about liz. Will already knew his daddy died. Dont you all remember when he was in the pearl, ragetti and pintell telling him how barbossa killed bootstrap. So Will knew he was dead, it was hopeless to look for him.

So Will resolved his problem. With Liz, meh so so. She still had a thing for Jack. What it needd to be resolved first was Jack. DMC took care of that. Now AWE needs to take care of WIll/Liz.

LovelyOne
no he learns that his dad is actually alive somewhere chiki on the pearl. he learns that his dad has the curse from the gold and he's alive somewhere on the ocean floor

..and he doesnt act upon it which is really strange to be added into the movie unless that is going to be his true character arc later on.

Its like the places where each character really want to venture are too scary for them at the moment..in movie 1 anyway..Movie 2 they get the taster and each character willingly accepts the adventure before DMC closes BTW....movie 3?....

Chiki Mina
so are you saying to curse was still upon them bc bootstrap was still alive? You can break the curse by either spilling the blood of bootstrap or bootstrap child, or kill bootstrap?

LovelyOne
I think bootstrap is still cursed. Its only Will's blood they(barbossa and the rest of the crew who gave blood) used to break the curse on them . Bootstrap never gave his blood...I dont think his son giving blood will end the curse for him.

Ragetti says in DMC: "twice cursed pirate father, meaning the other curse is still there lol."

Chiki Mina
But then not only Bootstrap is cursed by being the slave od Davey, he still has the curse of the Aztec gold?

LovelyOne
I think so. He's basically immortal twice.

Th monkey is also cursed too laughing out loud..silly monkey

Chiki Mina
Well for freaks sakes lol. But Im not sure of Bootstrap can be curse free from the Aztec. Since it was swallowed by the sea or something like that.

willofthewisp
So I wonder if that means Bootstrap will die if he ever becomes free of Davy Jones? I always thought Will believed his father to be dead because all he gets from Jack is that his dad was a pirate but also a good person and all he gets later on is how he "died." It's hard to believe that Boostrap could drown if he was cursed so I don't know why it took Davy Jones' interference to save him.

Liz is a little different and her arc isn't as obvious as Will's or Jack's, but I think she hero worshipped Will at the end. She wasn't around to see how he acted for the majority of the movie. She yelled to him for help as she was being dragged away and she helped him fight on the Pearl and then was separated from him again. Had she been able to see that it was Jack doing all the work and Will was fighting him every step of the way, I'm not sure she would have been so sure as to call him a pirate at the end. I think by the time their wedding rolls around, she goes back to seeing him as she did before he "rescued" her: as someone somewhat weaker than she is. She's his protector, remember. She saved his life and always felt that bond with him. Not that Will didn't try to save her-- he's brave and did his best, but he's not the pirate she thought he was.

LovelyOne
Yeah i agree with you^

In the commentary for movie 1, T&T say at that very moment Will learns about his dad from Ragetti and Pintel:

"so this means Will's father is actually ALIVE somewhere"

So will obviously knows this too from what thay eay about the curse

This also means, as you say if he is freed from the dutchman it maybe his means not to die with its crew too smile

I also think the whole deal of the monkey taking another peice may tie in with this somehow.

willofthewisp
Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of an immortal monkey running around? The monkey was always trouble and I don't like when things can't die. I find Monkey Jack to be a little disturbing.

LovelyOne
So do I.

but I think he actually likes Jack.

It was really weird. He threw Jack's hat overboard..and the guys on the greek ship picked it up and the Kraken thought it was Jack. It bought Jack some time to escape..possibly the monkey sensed something and wanted to help him?

In the reviewed trailer at comic con or something..Jack asks "did anyone come back for me because they miss me?"

the monkey is the only one who raises his hand lol.

Chiki Mina
thats what I said in one post. That the monkey was actually the one who save Jack. But after Barbossa's supposed death, what will happen to the monkey??

LovelyOne
He'll probably go off with Jack or Liz??

Chiki Mina
WEll since the monkey cant die...uh well...we duno
But what will happen to bootstrap...if WIll is gonna be dead

Surreal_44
Bootstrap explains how he ended up on DJ's ship...he asked to be brought on board, because he was horrified at being bound in the crushing depths at the bottom of the sea. Because of the curse, he couldn't die, but he wasn't truly living. He wanted to be free of the darkness and the pressure...so he asked to become part of DJ's crew.

Whether the curse was lifted or not is an interesting thought, but I think that it probably would have been lifted from Bootstrap. In the movie novelization, Will tells his father that he spent the past year believing that he had killed his father.

I wish they had left that in the movie. That would have been a lovely scene to see on the screen.

There was no question in my mind about the end of CotBP, especially since at the time it was made, all the arcs seemed to be closed. At least to me. Then again, I'm not a big fan of J/E, so I don't even remotely see J/E in CotBP.

LovelyOne
Aye thanks for clearing that up.He thinks he killed his dad..so he WONT want to kill him..he's going to free him no matter what IMO Shows us that his father is on his mind constantly

LOL here we go

Firstly. Consider the original wind change scene they cut out and compare it with the one they left in.

VERY different. Had they left it in the atmosphere and suggestiveness would have completely overshadowed the will/Liz meeting as children. And so it would draw focus away from theW/E end..but if they really wanted that W/E end so badly..why even spend money and film such a suggestive scene between Jack/Liz?(also two others that they took out) and then so willingly disguard it/them?

"Change in the wind" - these two are about to change each others lives forever..look at how they edited the shots it shows both of their ways of life being disrupted..he draws nearer and nearer and the music is so very climactic..its like "look out, these two are about to meet" the scene they actually used? didn't have a single one of those original shots..what a waste of money if they deleted it simply for time purposes..they could have at least saved costs by keeping one or two of those original shots in. instead of using a totally new one in the final version.

To be honest..even the meeting they left in completely overshadows the Will/Liz meeting...he saves her life for one, its a very sexual encounter too. He rips her from the corset which resembles restriction of the life she lives..he lets her breathe again. The very first moment Jack Sparrow touches this woman he frees her...suddenly we see the feisty Elizabeth that was not there only moments before.

Then here watch how she cant take her eyes of of Jack Sparrow. she's drinking every inch of him in..she looks him up and down just absorbing all that is Jack. She must have seen MANY pirates come there to be hung in the past..so its not like he's the first pirate she has seen...he's the first pirate she has met..and oh my what a meeting that was.

later on she shows that she's quite excited about the fact Jack threatened her..she doesn't seem to care about that at all..I think she secretly enjoyed the whole encounter.

Jack's encounter with Elizabeth on that island was THE moment where he felt he had found a soul mate IMO..had they left that peas in a pod scene in it would have been clear. Also had they left that moment in where she taught him the song..The ending would have been clear as day. Jack left with a little more on his mind than the horizon in movie 1. He was singing the very song she taught him. Had they left all those suggestive scenes in it would be like "WHOAH! Jack has Liz on his mind!.." and that would have TOTALLY squished the little W/E ending..

that whole encounter of meeting his match has started off an ever growing infatuation with her

Since when does Jack leave a girl and still have her on his mind?..heck even a YEAR later??

right off the bat in DMC he's thinking of Liz "why is the rum always gone"

right where Liz says "it is" (where her heat truly lies)

notice lack of Will in this shot. If her heart truly lies with him why is he not in the shot, why did it not cut to his face?..wouldn't you think it would show them both, Why is it suggesting its with Jack but he's behind her so its like she doesn't even know it yet?:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3935/potc1qp3.jpg

his reaction to her words:
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2548/potc5sh0.jpg

then he knows his Pearl is coming(parrot) and we get this:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4149/big1ly3.jpg

He leaves and its like "oh well my pearl is better, thats all I really wanted anyway!"(YEAH RIGHT!)

but then we see she's still on his mind even as he leaves in movie 1(singing her song, smiling/looks at he compass too)..in movie 2 he has his pearl..he should be happy. But he's not..he wants Elizabeth "why is the rum always gone?" that whole beach moment was the moment where Jack sparrow had found his equal..his felow pea in a pod..his soul mate..smile

seems as if the writers have directly tied in the start of movie 2 with the end of movie 1.

theres a lot more J?E in PotC 1 but I cant be assed to post it lol sorry.

Its not so much words its actions and events.
Will liz makes sense when ou think about it right now..but if it ended Jack/Liz in AWE..you would kinda actually see the whole picture..Liz has been obssesed with pirates since before she even met William turner..that is probably the most signoficant thing..she says she wants to meet a pirate..but the Will crashes into her life..she wanted to meet a pirate first! before anything happens with Will at all..imagine if will was not in the story..and she met Jack..the love story would be obvious.

"fallen for Jack" lmao sorry
funny how Jack also falls in exactly the same spot "fallen for Elizabeth"

LovelyOne
I remember T&T saying "everything you see with the characters in DMC was always in their characters" or something along those lines. I think it was the boxofficemojo interview.

they couldnt possibly make Jack all of a sudden be thinking he's in love with liz at the start of DMC unless it was tied in with PotC 1 and things that had developed with his character in that movie.

This also suggests that Liz's feelings for Jack were always there or were potentially there IMO and now after knowing what happens in DMC to me it suggests they feelings were there in movie 1 but she is at the same time oblivious to them...She needs an awakening (an entire movie spent with Jack should do it)

this is why IMO the Jack/Liz thing is not a bump in the road at all. J/E has been there since movie 1. Only now its starting to bud. Its "fate intervening" meaning each characters' true destinys are now going to play out because the wedding was stopped, E/W are not meant to be together. Elizabeth finds Jack not Will, she spends time with hinm and there is a realisation of her feelings for him.

-savvychick-
i know this has probably been said before, in this thread even, but ive never really thought about it...i mean, even after i first saw cotbp in theatres, i was saying there should be a sequel,b/c i saw some open plot points, but just now thinking about it, it hit me that they didnt need to, so if they intended it to be w/l, then y even make a sequel, there was no point to it...they certainly didnt want to dive into that relationship, because there was barely any scenes with them together, so unless they were using it to make it a j/l thing, why go for sequels at all? unless it was just for money, but seeing as where they took it was a risk with j/l, i dont think so.

LovelyOne
I 100% agree

I think its such a silly thing to add Jack as a spanner in the works. Its so unrealistic to do that with such a popular a main character(who is in fact the money of the movie) and the lead female

Will Turner is not why this movie sells..So its not like a Harry Potter deal..with Ron/Hermione

and this is not a story we already know the end to like phantom of the opera, Romeo and Juliet or Titanic..we know that the main and most loved character will or might possibly lose the main girl so it softens the blow.

IMO Will is not even needed in the story for it to be successful..he wasnt even needed in movie 1 ..but they had to add him cuz Jack was a rather large risk.

You can see them slightly miliking the Jack/Liz potential even with that movie(the chemistry is more interesting...but sadly they couldnt head that way..BACK THEN that is

but why not keep the door open?..

but instead of making it too obvious..they cut out much of the J/E suggestivness because it would make Will look all the more pointless as a character..

-savvychick-
will was actually really necessary for dmc to turn out how it did...i mean, without will jack and elizabeth would never have met after the first time where he saves her, its really will who pulls them together, and gets them stranded on the island really, so thanks to will they have their momentssmile

willofthewisp
Will's not pointless, though. Let's say he wasn't in the story at all. Okay, Jack would stay in jail and never think twice about the girl he rescued earlier that day. He would rot away in jail and he would have no leverage to get the Pearl back and Bootstrap Bill would have no son to love and sacrifice himself for.

You can't make a love story too simple and if nothing else, Will complicates Jack and Liz's relationship because both of them care for Will in their own ways. I just think it's unfair to take a story with such a crafty plot, such a moving story, such clever action as POTC and say one of the leading roles has no purpose.

willofthewisp
Plus it's his blood to relieve the curse. It's him Beckett sends after Jack and it's Will that saves Jack's crew. We see him totally in his element on the cannibal island. He's a natural leader and a brilliant fighter. Maybe if he was played by someone else or his character wasn't naturally just Jack Sparrow's ward, people would see his high points a little better.

CaptinJackLover
Well that could be part of it but I just personally dont like that kind of heroic always having to be perfect kind of character, and that what bugs me about him...i dont know about anyone else but if hewas a litle darker then I would personally see him as a more likeable character

Chiki Mina
Ok my honest opinions on Will. True he is not the money maker of the movie. He is, weather we like it or not, one of the main character. But the MAN and THE MAIN character is Jack. Will doesnt add to the story much meaning as a he and liz as a couple. They are both not compatible enough. I agree to that. But he isnt all tha pointless. Sometimes I think that it was him that broguht Jack/Liz together.

I kinda looked into COTBP in the deleted scene of the island with Jack Liz. If it wasnt for Wills sacrifice and bringing up that hes the son of bootstrap jack/liz wouldnt be killed right away. Instead they were marooned and thats where the bonding with jack/liz started. Thats one thing Jack was angry about Will, he did, according to Jack, something stupid.

Same thing for AWE, I think. If it wasnt for Will's sacrifice on killing davey, Pirates wouldnt have a chance against EITC. And after his departure, it could be possible for Jack/Liz to get even closer. And, again, I believe that Jack is gonna be angry at Will for doing something stupid.

CaptinJackLover
ur right it IS him who brought them togetyer..i always thought that....so as much a s a lot of us hate it, we need him. so get over it people...if it wanst for him liz and Jack would ahve probably never met

LovelyOne
I actually think the canibal Island was to show us 3 things

1. The dog

2. Jack's luck

3. Will's luck

Come on guys..the only reason people think Will should be here is because he already been introduced...if he was never introduced then DMC/AWE would have still flowed and worked perfectly fine.

you can see how flat his character really is. There are no dimensions..He worked in movie 1 because he was the lead hero and Jack was a risk so they had to do that its obvious.

Now they have to kind of seperate his story from Jack/Liz because hardly any stories have two main men like that.

He's not needed at all. So many critics and audience just dont get why he is there...

chiki they have had to revolve the story around him because he's there now and there is nothing they can do about it. They could have used norrington to stab the heart if Will was not there, they could have used Barbossa (two meaningful characters)

before I was even a shipper and watching DMC..I was bored out of my skull watching Will meet his dad and being on the dutchman with the dice..SO BORING

my friend was yawning next to me lmao..it was HIS scenes that dragged out the movie..

willofthewisp
I thought we all agreed Will was developing. It's just slower than the other characters. He's a fairly decent person, he doesn't have too much more to develop, unlike Jack who has to do almost a complete turn-around if he even wants a chance with Liz. I think Will's come a little ways from the sniveling "whatever you say, Ms. Swann." He's more comfortable taking the lead.
In the first movie, he didn't really like listening to Jack, but he did for the most part and he saw later how assuming and not listening (hitting Jack with the oar) ended up costing everyone. By the end when Jack is once again baiting Barbossa with Will, Will is onto it and plays along knowing he and Jack can beat him. By the end, he had learned to be a proactive follower. Don't dis being a follower. Everyone has to sometimes and it's not as passive as one might think.
By the second movie, Jack's not cooperating with him that much and even screws him over (in Will's mind) by giving him to Davy Jones. Here Will is all on his own and has to show that he can be clever (because I probably would have screwed up getting the key and even finding the location of it). When he's reunited with everyone and Jack leaves, he temporarily takes control of the Pearl. True they need Jack there to make it all better, but Will is stepping out of his shell. He's also asserting himself relationship-wise.
Let's all face it: Liz is the man in their relationship. He worshipped her from afar for too long and he didn't get to see how strong and clever she could be. Now, we all love the kiss scene, but looking at it from Will's point of view, what would he have done in the first movie? He would have just assumed Liz was doing it to save them and probably not think much of it. It's Jack and Jack is a pirate and Liz is a lady and the two are not peas in a pod. But he treats her very coldly and pretty much ignores her until HE can decide what should be done about it. We see that as dangerous and overbearing, but I would do the same thing if I were in his position and saw my betrothed kissing the man who annoys me.

LovelyOne
Actually. To me, everything suggests Elizabeth was the slowest to make any significant develop in movie 2

Then Will

Jack is ahead of them both..MILES ahead.

Will is developing yes..but it sure as hell isn't interesting development I can tell ya that..laughing out loud (lets see what movie 3 has in store)

calypso
Ok, here goes...

Each play is in three acts. Let's say that COTBP was Act I and introduces all the characters. (T/T said this was a stand alone movie and ended with some unfinished plots, but thats life. Even while they were filming there was always a running joke on the set about "Oh, we'll put that in the sequel". Maybe Disney had indicated a sequel if it came out ok, but none of the principles or Jerry or Gore thought it would light up the skys the way it did. Also, Ms Jacobson who was a Disney Exec hated JD and constantly called his agent, Gore, Jerry and anyone else who would listen to her that JD was messing up their movie with his interpretation of CJS.)

Act II always leaves the hero in dire peril thus the end of DMC. Gore said you know all you need to know about all the characters at the end of DMC.

Act III pulls all the plot lines together and hero wins all. (let's all hope)

Does this make any sense?

About Ms. Jacobson, she finally apologized to JD as he stated in Entertainment Weekly after CPTBP was such a big hit. After DMC was such a hit in the US she lost her job, I think the first week of August, 2006. "Pity".

LovelyOne
yes it does but T&T also say PotC 1 was a story in itself meanin..DMC is starting again as a story on its own..as in narrative structure

Equilibrium - disruption- new equilibrium (this happened in PotC 1 on its own)

movie 2 it can be argued..starts on disruption like the wedding being stopped ( many stories do this)...possibly the end of movie 1 was an equilibrium in terms of DMC being tied in with it?

and LOL that woman sounds like a little *****.

calypso
I agree & I agree...hehehe

willofthewisp
Liz is developing right along with everyone else, but I wouldn't say she is growing yet, either. She's still trying to find the balance between having security and protection and being free to do what she wants. The first movie gave her her first adventure and she had to see what she was capable of. Turns out, she did pretty well for herself. She kept her head when she was kidnapped, it took guts to even take a stab at Barbossa, she fought alongside the crew, burned the rum to get her and Jack off the island, and then went back for Jack and Will when no one else would and had a small role in saving Jack from hanging. But it took the second movie to see what she would do with these realized skills.
Will teaches her to swordfight, and I have to say that was a good idea and shows he is concerned about her. A real overbearing guy would never teach a girl to defend herself, but Will wants her to be safe. She also goes piratey to get the letters from Beckett and we all know how she acts later after the Kracken.

So now she's at a crossroads. She can't have the best of both worlds, and that's what she was doing before, toying around with the pirate side while believing she was on the respectable side. Now she knows she will have to make a choice. So I think she will develop quite a bit.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.