"Children should be seen, not heard."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JacopeX
I disagree with this quote strongly. Its like saying we should taste meat but not smell it. Well, every mind not matter what age is very complex in any way therefore, we should at least hear what the children have in mind so we can understand them better and know what they want.

Usually, people think children know less than adults.....think again, I out smart people over my age, and im 15. If people are gonna single me out as a child or somewhere in youth, fine but dont do so because of intellegence. I am very patient with children and talk to them as if I were a phycologist stick out tongue and I listen to them interested sometimes at what they say. What they do is there dicision but inside them, they must have an answer of some sort. I belive in this, and I think children should be SEEN AND HEARD.

If you disagree with me, please elaborate why.

No such thing as baby talk

Charmed_Phoebe
children are very smart, sometimes smarter than adults. They know things too, and 98% of children got this riddle right when only 2% of college students got it! Here it is:

"What is greater than God,
More Evil than the Devil,
The poor have it,
The rich need it,
and if you eat it you'll die?"

hehe, do you guys know what it is? Ask any kid, they'll know. Children should be heard I agree.

BlackSunshine
ah ok...it took me about 5 minutes to figure that out. But yeah I get where you're coming from.

Madman_V3N0M
I've seen lots of cases where people should have listened to theyr children, and in my youth I was oftain not heard, even though I was right. And I think children have a sort of wisdom, that comes from a pure mind(before school and stress ****s it up!). And younger generatons are usually smarter that previous generations were at theyr age, sometimes smarter than they are now.

Capt_Fantastic
It's not that children shold be seen and not heard. It's that their parents should teach them the proper time to speak and when to stfu.

JaehSkywalker
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
It's not that children shold be seen and not heard. It's that their parents should teach them the proper time to speak and when to stfu.

not how i would say it but... close enough.

Charmed_Phoebe
Originally posted by BlackSunshine
ah ok...it took me about 5 minutes to figure that out. But yeah I get where you're coming from.

what is it then? stick out tongue

Madman_V3N0M
I can't figure this riddle out! I can't think of nothing... shifty

bogen
kids a great, always have fun with them in the simpelist ways. good times laughing out loud

Kinneary
Kids need to be quiet. They also need to speak. The quote is about teaching your kids when to speak and when to stay silent, something that you should employ in your every day life.

Imperial_Samura
? I didn't know there were still places with such opinions. I thought kids were encouraged to speak these days.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Charmed_Phoebe
children are very smart, sometimes smarter than adults. They know things too, and 98% of children got this riddle right when only 2% of college students got it! Here it is:

"What is greater than God,
More Evil than the Devil,
The poor have it,
The rich need it,
and if you eat it you'll die?"

hehe, do you guys know what it is? Ask any kid, they'll know. Children should be heard I agree. NOTHING big grin

Madman_V3N0M
I already said that, in a more subtle way...

BackFire
I disagree with that quote, I don't want to see them either.

Soleran
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic

Exactly

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by BackFire
Ahahaha! I concur!

lord xyz
I 100% agree with you there Jacope. I can't even count how many times people have ignored me because of my age. It's just so annoying, especially when I'm right, and they're wrong! Grr. disgust

I won't treat children that way when I'm an adult.

Madman_V3N0M
You're a kid, xyz? How old are you?

lord xyz
Originally posted by Madman_V3N0M
You're a kid, xyz? How old are you? 14, 15 in January.

Madman_V3N0M
That explains your slight pedophiliac tendancyessmile)) LOL I used to drool after girls of my own age when I was 14.

Kidding, but really, I would have nver guessed...

lord xyz
That explains your slight pedophiliac tendancyessmile)) LOL I used to drool after girls of my own age when I was 14.

Kidding, but really, I would have nver guessed... Thanks, I guess. confused I actually get that quite often. laughing out loud Still, you should see me in the OTF. laughing out loud

Madman_V3N0M
Sorry, OTF aren't my thing, in almost every forum I'm in I never post there big grin

Madman_V3N0M
Sorry, thought that OTF meant On Topic Forums LOOOOOOL

BTW I got new avatar. A local one, but fittingsmile

BornToRule
Originally posted by lord xyz
14, 15 in January.

And still your intelligence seems to be on a higher level then mine.

And yes i could never have guessed after reading your posts.

debbiejo
That's the problem, children aren't taught that their words are respected. They are just a human as an adult. When children aren't listened too, many will act out. .........There are some wise words that come out of children.

Mr. Sandman

My sentiments exactly.

Madman_V3N0M
Yoda said something about kids minds, what was it again?

lord xyz
Originally posted by BornToRule
And still your intelligence seems to be on a higher level then mine.

And yes i could never have guessed after reading your posts. blink Okay, this is just creepy.

JacopeX
They give you crap like

" Oh dont worry young one, you will thank me one day...."

How would they know.......and they say there always right because they are the elders. False, Once I was doing a math problem in my homework. Im in CP algebra and my Uncle comes to help me with the problem even though I didnt even need help and he gives me the answer. I doubted it would be it. He says he knows, and to trust him. As he left, I did the problem and wrote it out and he was ultimately wrong. As I high math grade student, there was no way he couldve done one of my problems in ten seconds.....idiots.

lord xyz
Originally posted by JacopeX
They give you crap like

" Oh dont worry young one, you will thank me one day...."

How would they know.......and they say there always right because they are the elders. False, Once I was doing a math problem in my homework. Im in CP algebra and my Uncle comes to help me with the problem even though I didnt even need help and he gives me the answer. I doubted it would be it. He says he knows, and to trust him. As he left, I did the problem and wrote it out and he was ultimately wrong. As I high math grade student, there was no way he couldve done one of my problems in ten seconds.....idiots. laughing out loud

It's because we live in a better environment and because of evolution that we are smarter than them. I'm smarter than a few of my teachers believe it or not, but like I said, I live in an environment where everyone has equal oppertunity, and education is very advanced. They grew up in the 60s.

JacopeX
laughing out loud

It's because we live in a better environment and because of evolution that we are smarter than them. I'm smarter than a few of my teachers believe it or not, but like I said, I live in an environment where everyone has equal oppertunity, and education is very advanced. They grew up in the 60s. Technology advances along the way and we learn alot more.

lord xyz
Technology advances along the way and we learn alot more. And children have the advantage. I guess it's fair to say, although we're discriminated against, people aged 15- rule!

Soleran
This thread just makes me laugh.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Soleran
This thread just makes me laugh. Why? Are you imagining a bunch of high voiced speech impedimented children wearing suits that don't fit them hold protesting signs?

Mee to. tongue_ss

sithsaber408
It's one thing to have knowledge, and quite another to have wisdom.

lord xyz
Originally posted by sithsaber408
It's one thing to have knowledge, and quite another to have wisdom. Yet, Bush voters have neither.

Soleran
Why? Are you imagining a bunch of high voiced speech impedimented children wearing suits that don't fit them hold protesting signs?

Mee to. tongue_ss

Not really

FoxMeister
Why? Are you imagining a bunch of high voiced speech impedimented children wearing suits that don't fit them hold protesting signs?

Mee to. tongue_ss
laughing laughing laughing LOL. i always get my best laughs from u

Madman_V3N0M
I love kids these days, they're so smart and funny, and nice too.
As for wisdom, I don't think that always comes with age, and neither does intelligence. I myself have been speaking English since the age of 5(and no I'm not English) and my parrents have admited my sister and me were in some cases smarter than them, and they loved it, "That's how humanity progresses, our kids shouldd be smarter than us" the say.
I just feel so sad when I see such stupid adults, and even sadder when I see stupid teenagers or kids. And the stupidness wouldn't annoy me if they weren't so cocky and thought they were soooo smart... I could tell you storyes about my uncle, but this post is allready too long.

Bardock42
My God...the self loving initial post pisses me off to a quite unknown extent....I wish death would come upon it...the post I mean...and the poster....and all people...except for me...

Madman_V3N0M
Man, Bardock if I didn't know better I'd say you were a genocidal mad evil genius, but I know you're just German.

J-Beowulf
Man, Bardock if I didn't know better I'd say you were a genocidal mad evil genius, but I know you're just German.

LMAO!

JacopeX
Originally posted by Bardock42
My God...the self loving initial post pisses me off to a quite unknown extent....I wish death would come upon it...the post I mean...and the poster....and all people...except for me... HOW EVIL! crazy

......and Moronic in a way. ermm

Charmed_Phoebe
good job debbie! lol, it took me 2 weeks to figure that out when I was 12 haha. They had it as a chain mail in my email and it said "press shift for the answer" and nothing would happen. It made me so mad! then I realized that nothing was the answer!

Imperial_Samura

True, true. I mean is it really so bad the Combine neutered humanity? I think it was a good thing.

I always feel that way when I am working on a presentation (such as the one a few hours ago) and some visiting bus load of school kids runs round shrieking outside the lecture room window. I mean really.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Bardock42
My God...the self loving initial post pisses me off to a quite unknown extent....I wish death would come upon it...the post I mean...and the poster....and all people...except for me... Bardock is using dotzzzzzzz in his posts.....lol

Thank U.........I am special aren't I....even if I cheated

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by debbiejo
That's the problem, children aren't taught that their words are respected. They are just a human as an adult.

You begged a question.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Charmed_Phoebe
good job debbie! lol, it took me 2 weeks to figure that out when I was 12 haha. They had it as a chain mail in my email and it said "press shift for the answer" and nothing would happen. It made me so mad! then I realized that nothing was the answer! laughing

Kayne Archeron
billy: but i swear i just saw someone get shot in the head!
police officer: oooh, silly boy, you're just a kid, of course you're just using your imagination!

basically what i get out of this quote...

botankus
This is the type of thread where posts really have an opportunity to justify the statement.

lord xyz
This thread rules. Much credit to JacopeX.

Madman_V3N0M
You're just saying that cuz you're a kid... LOL

Bardock42

Goes hand in hand I heard.

Madman_V3N0M
Now you're just being Nazi LOL

Kayne Archeron
goes heil in heil?

lord xyz
Now you're just being Nazi LOL Is being Nazi like being stupid?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
You begged a question. Not really.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

JacopeX
This thread rules. Much credit to JacopeX. big grin Thanks! And no problem wink

Victor Von Doom
Not really.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, yes, yes you did.

Charmed_Phoebe
debbie! you cheated!!! BAD BAD! I am listening to you singing right now...."bye bye miss american pie" wow, just wow. what are you doing upstairs anyways? stick out tongue stick out tongue stick out tongue

debbiejo
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Feeling happy?

JacopeX
lol

Kayne Archeron

Feeling happy?

oh dear...

debbiejo
It was great! cool

FeceMan
Hey, assholes?

Children are to be seen but not heard as they are taught how to be homosexuals by the public school system.

JacopeX
Originally posted by FeceMan
Hey, assholes?

Children are to be seen but not heard as they are taught how to be homosexuals by the public school system. That was very.......dolt and stupid! and un funny IF you were trying to be.

Diamonds
"I'll tell you when you're 21."
This makes me want to hit my parents. My mum/mom/mam says that to me all the time when I ask her what she got up to when she was a teen.
And if I were to say something to them that they say to me on a regular basis, I would get told to stop being cheeky. I mean, I'm all for respecting elders, but it's ridiculous when you can't even say anything.
Children need to know that their opinion counts, too, but when they need to stay silent. There has to be somewhere between never being heard and always blabbering on (and on and on).

Charmed_Phoebe

Feeling happy?

yes I am sure you were..... wink

and yes Diamonds I hear a lot of kids/young adults tell me there parents say that to them, since I never lived with my real parents I would not know? But, good point! stick out tongue

Madman_V3N0M
never lived with your real parents? can u explain that? I'm curious

JacopeX
I hate that to. How do you expect children to know the truth if you wont tell and turn them more stubborn!

lord xyz
It's as bad as teaching your child religion.

JacopeX
It's as bad as teaching your child religion. No, actually, I was thought religion by my parents and went to catekism and to this day, I havent done anything to harm no one. My whole family are very very kind type of people and we pray every night and were very religious with catholic. I really dont like how atheist think of us in a bad way which is an ironic thought of us. Im catholic and proud.

God bless us

Corazon Sagrado!

RocasAtoll
No, actually, I was thought religion by my parents and went to catekism and to this day, I havent done anything to harm no one. My whole family are very very kind type of people and we pray every night and were very religious with catholic. I really dont like how atheist think of us in a bad way which is an ironic thought of us. Im catholic and proud.

God bless us

Corazon Sagrado!

Just ignore him when he says that.

JacopeX
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
Just ignore him when he says that. Im aware he is atheist, im fine with that but him trying to mock my religion or people who are religious in anyway angers me. For now I will ignore him.

RocasAtoll
Talking to him makes it worse. Ignoring him is your best policy like you're going to do.

JacopeX
Man, Bardock if I didn't know better I'd say you were a genocidal mad evil genius, but I know you're just German. Nah, to me Bardock is just a Mad Man. Period. confused

Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
billy: but i swear i just saw someone get shot in the head!
police officer: oooh, silly boy, you're just a kid, of course you're just using your imagination!

basically what i get out of this quote... If this is a true story, I just hope that police officer got fired for being such an ignorant that wont report anything based on what he belives. Those type of officers are the reasons why justice is a joke at times.

Mindship
Children can be very knowledgeable, especially about what's trendy (eg, the currently hip electronic device). They can also be very smart at logically figuring things out (as in the riddle posted on page 1). Thus, in some circumstances, their voices should definitely be heard.

However...

Adults know that Life is bigger than being knowledgeable or logical. This is where life experience / wisdom comes in. Adults are much more aware of how the real world works, that excuses (eg, "I didn't mean to," or "I forgot"wink mean sh*t when what matters is producing results. Fair? Fair has nothing to do with it, especially since children themselves hardly corner the market on "what's fair."

All else being equal, teenagers especially can pose logically brilliant arguments, but unfortunately (for them) it's often based on the unspoken/unexamined premise of, "This is what I want," as opposed to, "This is what's right."

Children should be heard, absolutely. But if they really wanna be as smart as they often think they are, they should also listen.

PS. This is Not to claim that adults don't make mistakes. But, all else being equal, they will have a broader range of psychological resources to rely on than children.

soin2cal
I don't really understand it. I am not really any different now to what i was when i was 15 because to me that age was not really a proper child age. Think about it children have to be supervised and ruled by their parents. I wasn't at the age...then again i was sensible and grown up.

lord xyz
No, actually, I was thought religion by my parents and went to catekism and to this day, I havent done anything to harm no one. My whole family are very very kind type of people and we pray every night and were very religious with catholic. I really dont like how atheist think of us in a bad way which is an ironic thought of us. Im catholic and proud.

God bless us

Corazon Sagrado! Kind? Is prejudice kind? Is arrogance kind? And what about ignorance? These (aswell as others) are "side effects" of religion. The people you love and depend upon tell you opinions as truth. This in affect, makes you oblivious to outside opinions and facts, therefore you have the assumption you're better than them, which is arrogant and not kind. Religion teaches people not to do acts based on nothing! Examples: homosexuality, not going to church, saying certain words... This is prejudice and not kind. You by not knowing this makes you ignorant, and a threat to human advancement and intelligence.

But who am I to assume you're a fundamentalist. Well, you're determination to defend Catholicism is one, you're posts in the past which show you assume catholics are better than atheists and everyone else who isn't catholics is another, you're belief in hell and heaven...

Dare I say more?

pr1983
Originally posted by Mindship
Children can be very knowledgeable, especially about what's trendy (eg, the currently hip electronic device). They can also be very smart at logically figuring things out (as in the riddle posted on page 1). Thus, in some circumstances, their voices should definitely be heard.

However...

Adults know that Life is bigger than being knowledgeable or logical. This is where life experience / wisdom comes in. Adults are much more aware of how the real world works, that excuses (eg, "I didn't mean to," or "I forgot"wink mean sh*t when what matters is producing results. Fair? Fair has nothing to do with it, especially since children themselves hardly corner the market on "what's fair."

All else being equal, teenagers especially can pose logically brilliant arguments, but unfortunately (for them) it's often based on the unspoken/unexamined premise of, "This is what I want," as opposed to, "This is what's right."

Children should be heard, absolutely. But if they really wanna be as smart as they often think they are, they should also listen.

PS. This is Not to claim that adults don't make mistakes. But, all else being equal, they will have a broader range of psychological resources to rely on than children.

b*stard, you pretty much said most of what i wanted to say... stick out tongue

life experience makes a big difference, i remember when i was 16, some of the things i used to hear from my peers, holy crap they hadn't a clue (though neither did i), things change as you get older, as do priorities...

Kind? Is prejudice kind? Is arrogance kind? And what about ignorance? These (aswell as others) are "side effects" of religion. The people you love and depend upon tell you opinions as truth. This in affect, makes you oblivious to outside opinions and facts, therefore you have the assumption you're better than them, which is arrogant and not kind. Religion teaches people not to do acts based on nothing! Examples: homosexuality, not going to church, saying certain words... This is prejudice and not kind. You by not knowing this makes you ignorant, and a threat to human advancement and intelligence.

But who am I to assume you're a fundamentalist. Well, you're determination to defend Catholicism is one, you're posts in the past which show you assume catholics are better than atheists and everyone else who isn't catholics is another, you're belief in hell and heaven...

Dare I say more?

i believe in hell and heaven... i have a strong belief system... and yet, not once have i EVER used that as an excuse to look down on someone...

there's nothing wrong with having faith, as long as it doesn't infringe on other's beliefs...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.