Catholics, help me understand your religion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
I have a few questions:

#1. Do you believe that the Pope is infallible? In your opinion, can he do "Wrong" after being elected? Do you believe he was elected by god?

#2.Do you believe the Pope is somehow more connected to god more so than you and thusly makes him holier than yourself?

#3. Why do you pray to Mary? It seems wrong since praying to anything but the lord is forbidden in the OT.

#4. Do you believe a priest, pope or a nun has any control over whether you go to hell or heaven? Do you believe that the Pope can pray you ou of hell if he wishes? If so, are you scared of him?

#5. Do you believe in seeing Mary in toast or on a wall and other stuff of that nature?

I'm really interested in the Catholic religion, but I'd like to hear someone answer a few questions.

Regret
Originally posted by long pig
I have a few questions:

#1. Do you believe that the Pope is infallible? In your opinion, can he do "Wrong" after being elected? Do you believe he was elected by god?

#2.Do you believe the Pope is somehow more connected to god more so than you and thusly makes him holier than yourself?

#3. Why do you pray to Mary? It seems wrong since praying to anything but the lord is forbidden in the OT.

#4. Do you believe a priest, pope or a nun has any control over whether you go to hell or heaven? Do you believe that the Pope can pray you ou of hell if he wishes? If so, are you scared of him?

#5. Do you believe in seeing Mary in toast or on a wall and other stuff of that nature?

I'm really interested in the Catholic religion, but I'd like to hear someone answer a few questions.

The Vatican's website The Catechism is the core of Catholic beliefs, with other texts supplementary, but often incorporated as they are wholly accepted. The entire Catechism is available at the Vatican's site.

My wife was, and her family is, Catholic.

1 Papal infallibility - Yes, Catechism states this to be so.
2 The Pope is to be considered as God on Earth
3 Catholics pray to God through the Saints, not to the Saints, thus not technically breaking any commandments in their view.
4 I have never asked them this type of question, although indulgences existed. So, yes, the Pope should probably have this ability, don't know about priests though.
5 Miracles are highly studied by the Catholic Church, so a good Catholic should have such confirmed prior to actually believing it. My wife never would have.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Regret
The Vatican's website The Catechism is the core of Catholic beliefs, with other texts supplementary, but often incorporated as they are wholly accepted. The entire Catechism is available at the Vatican's site.

My wife was, and her family is, Catholic.

1 Papal infallibility - Yes, Catechism states this to be so.
2 The Pope is to be considered as God on Earth
3 Catholics pray to God through the Saints, not to the Saints, thus not technically breaking any commandments in their view.
4 I have never asked them this type of question, although indulgences existed. So, yes, the Pope should probably have this ability, don't know about priests though.
5 Miracles are highly studied by the Catholic Church, so a good Catholic should have such confirmed prior to actually believing it. My wife never would have.

much of what you have said is bullshit. But, so too, is much of what you've said considered truth by many catholics. And when I say "truth" I speak only from the perspective of religion, where "truth" is considered fact.

1 Yes, the Pope is considered to be the voice of God. Outside of his official role however, the man himself is not considered infallible. This however is a catch 22 situation. Because he is considered infallible through the assumption of extra huamn interaction. In other words, he speaks for god and has no agenda of his own. This is where the catch 22 comes into play. If you believe in god, that's one thing. If you talk to god, that's another. If you think god speaks to you, then you are most likely psychotic. Long story short, if you believe that any human being having been told he speaks as an unquestioned godly vassel doesn't infect his statements and positions with his own prejudice, then you're nuts.

2 The Pope is NOT considered to be god on Earth. He is considered to be the successor to Saint Peter. In other words, so intimately connected to Jesus/God that he is his representative on Earth.

3 Yes. Again. Catholics pray for the intervention of the saints on their behalf. Not to the saints as gods themselves. It's like asking your aunt to tell your mother something you don't want to tell her in person. You want the message delivered, but you don't want to be the messenger yourself. Commandment breaking is irrelevent, in any respect.

4 Makes no sense, is there a question, accustation or implication? Because none seem evident by the wording of your post.

5 "studied and confirmed" are highly questionable. As everyone knows, to have a "miracle" confirmed by the catholic church you have to have witnesses and the intervention of god. However, the observation of a miracle, as confirmed by the catholic organization, is disposable by those who have witnessed it first-hand. If you saw an angel and others told you that you hadn't, you'd still believe what you saw over their "professional" opinion.

debbiejo
Many Catholics are really in to seeing images of Mary.

It's funny about #3. I always felt that Catholics felt god was too busy and sooooooooo enter the saints for some relief.

Council#13
I have a few questions:

1. No, he is only a man. He simply leads on of God's churches on Earth
2. In someways, yes
3. Because she is the Holy Virgin, one of God's few chosen throughout history. She is Jesus's mother, and he will do anything for her
4. No, they do not. They are simply humans, like us
5. I believe that those things happen, but very, very rarely. It is often a coincidence. I believe that her statue cries blood when a true Saint dies

lord xyz
I have a few questions:

I'm really interested in the Catholic religion, but I'd like to hear someone answer a few questions. This is being stereotypical. Some catholics believe some or all of that, and some don't. Try to avoid stereotypes, when asking questions about a group of people.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by lord xyz
This is being stereotypical. Some catholics believe some or all of that, and some don't. Try to avoid stereotypes, when asking questions about a group of people.

Which is why he is asking questions, no? To learn more about Catholic's P.O.V.

lord xyz

§P0oONY
What?

The guy was only asking questions he wasn't being generalised or relying on tired stereotypes. I don't think there is anything wrong with his post. He's just trying to expand his horizons.

lord xyz

§P0oONY
He was asking questions if Catholics do these things. It's stereotypical because some do and some don't, but the question implies that all do/don't (as I explained). The questions were being stereotypical. It's like asking Black people why they like Hip-hop, because not all black people do.

Still doesn't explain why you are reacting in such a way. If a Catholic is answering the questions and doesn't do one of the things then the questions say they can simply can state it. I don't understand why it is effecting you. I assume by the fact that you bash the bible in most threads that JIA is posting in that you're not catholic, nor do you have respect for their faith in the slightest.

And only #3 is assuming they do something that they may not...

Regret
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
much of what you have said is bullshit. But, so too, is much of what you've said considered truth by many catholics. And when I say "truth" I speak only from the perspective of religion, where "truth" is considered fact. These are things I have discussed with a Catholic priest and my wife, with a study of the Catechism and official Church material accompanying. I have responded as was explained to me as to Catholic beliefs. I specifically stated that I had not asked them about #4. I was not attacking or being accusatory in any way, I was stating what my wife and her family believed combined with what my wife and I had discussed with the priest. If you are Catholic, feel free to correct me, but my post is what the Catholics in my family have said they believe regardless of whether it is correct or not.

Capt_Fantastic
If anyone has told you that the Pope is as God on Earth, is not a Catholic.

Quiero Mota
I have a few questions:

#1. The Pope is only human. He is no more divine than me or you.

#2. Read #1.

#3. I don't pray to Mary as though she were a deity; I sometimes ask for her help and guidance. I'll also add that she's the patron saint of Mexico.

#4. No.

#5. Was that a joke?

Gregory
Catholic doctrine states that the Pope is infallible, but only in certain very limited aread. Specifically, the Pope must be speaking ex cathedra, and he is only infallible when speaking about faith and morals.

For example, the pope has forbidden women from becoming priests, but he has also said that that is not an ex cathedra statement; in other words, although it defines church doctrine, it is not infallibly given, and could theoretically be changed by a later pope. The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, on the other hand, was defined in an ex cathedra document, and is thus considered infallible.

Terrorist
#1. Do you believe that the Pope is infallible? In your opinion, can he do "Wrong" after being elected? Do you believe he was elected by god? NO

#2.Do you believe the Pope is somehow more connected to god more so than you and thusly makes him holier than yourself?NO

#3. Why do you pray to Mary? It seems wrong since praying to anything but the lord is forbidden in the OT.NO

#4. Do you believe a priest, pope or a nun has any control over whether you go to hell or heaven? Do you believe that the Pope can pray you ou of hell if he wishes? If so, are you scared of him?NO

#5. Do you believe in seeing Mary in toast or on a wall and other stuff of that nature?N laughing

debbiejo
The Catholic church teaches Vicarius Filii Dei meaning Vicar of god, or one who speaks for god, for the Pope. Being in the place of Christ on earth, the 2nd part of the Trinity. The title of the Pope in Rome is Vicarius Filii Dei . This is inscribed on his mitre; and if you take the letters of his title which represent Latin numerals (printed large) and add them together they come to 666....Some people believe because the numbers come out 666 that he is the antichrist of Revelations.

Just thought I'd throw in this one link for fun.

http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/666.htm

Thorin

lord xyz

Jim Reaper
The Pope is almost 80... He probably dosen't remember what he had for breakfast.

§P0oONY
I never said it's offended me, it's just those questions are basically saying, "Are catholics like they are stereotyped?" that's what I have a problem with, yes I'm very anti-catholic, but that doesn't mean I can't defend them when they are being stereotyped.

It was an iggnorant post but at the same time as this is a forum for discussion so it gives Catholics plenty of time to respond. I'm pretty sure they can defend themselves without having a rightious person who dislikes their religion doing it for them and why are you "Anti-Catholic"?

Naz
I have a few questions:

He's infallible in matters of faith, morals, and important religious doctrine. If the pope said 2+2=45, obviously he'd be wrong. He was elected by a conference of cardinals who are led and inspired by the Holy Spirit.

I don't know the exact church-y answer to this one, but I think everyone has the ability to be as close to God as the Pope is. If I tried, I could be as holy as the Pope.

We don't exactly pray to her. We ask her to intercede our prayers to God. We certainly do not worship Mary or any other saints.

No. Absolutely not. Priests, nuns, and the pope are all humans. They have as much power as I do to wish anyone into hell. Only God can decided where you do when you die.

I think people who sell Mary toast on eBay are selling hoaxes. I do believe that you can have visions of Mary and Jesus and like talk to them and stuff.

Gregory
So does the Catholic Church still do indulgence-type stuff? Because they certainly used to think they had power in this area.

General Kaliero
#2. The Pope can define the laws of God so that they can be made understandable doctrine, but other than that an infallibility on religious matters, the Pope is still human. He can still sin, and he actually goes to confession once a day.

Originally posted by Gregory
So does the Catholic Church still do indulgence-type stuff? Because they certainly used to think they had power in this area.

Indulgences DO still exist, but they are not the "Instant pass to Heaven" freebies that people commonly think they are. Generally, certain prayers or acts gain you a plenary indulgence, which compensates for a certain amount of "time" spent in Purgatory. It does not remove sin, nor push you into Heaven.

Grand_Moff_Gav
I have a few questions:

I have no doubt that a Catholic Church is somewhere near you, perhaps you should ask a preist these questions, they would be able to answer all these questions in a lot more detail than anyone who on this board. i think,

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
I have no doubt that a Catholic Church is somewhere near you, perhaps you should ask a preist these questions, they would be able to answer all these questions in a lot more detail than anyone who on this board. i think,

Indeed, an internet forum is probably an unwise place to ask about ANY religion, because any questions are going to get blammed by those who deride the religion, or answered ineptly by people who don't fully understand the religion they profess to believe. If you can't find a good Catholic Priest (or even if you can) I'd suggest going to a library to find "Why do Catholics do That?" a book that answers the five questions you've asked so far, and will probably answer any others you have.

Naz
Originally posted by Gregory

They don't exactly do indulgences anymore, but when they did they used the New Testament verse, "Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in Heaven and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in Heaven", when Jesus tells Peter he's to be Pope and all, to explain why they could.
In the sacrament of Confession, the preist will absolve you of your sins, and then he'll give you a penance to do, which is usually to go say a couple prayers, and that is what would be considered your "indulgent act" or whatever, but you don't get an actual indulgence sheet of paper or anything.

BobbyD
I have a few questions:

I'm one (Catholic), and I'm not sure I fully understand it at times! blink

debbiejo
Soooooooo you're pagan huh?? reading

lord xyz

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.