The book of Adam and Eve

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Face
This is an original book of Adam and Eves life choose to believe or not but they were the 1st humans to commune with God and who could read and write. This ancient religious text was found by Moses.

The Books of Adam and Eve
from VITA ADAE ET EVAE and Apocalypse of MOSES

From The Apocrypha and Pseudeipgrapha of the Old Testament by R. H. Charles, vol. II , Oxford Press

1:1 When they were driven out from paradise, they made themselves a booth, and spent seven days mourning and lamenting in great grief.

2:1 But after seven days, they began to be hungry and started to look for victual to eat, and they 2 found it not. Then Eve said to Adam: 'My lord, I am hungry. Go, look for (something) for us to eat. Perchance the Lord God will look back and pity us and recall us to the place, in which we were before.'

3:1 And Adam arose and walked seven days over all that land, and found no victual such as they 2 used to have in paradise. And Eve said to Adam: "Wilt thou slay me? that I may die, and perchance God the Lord will bring thee into paradise, for on my account hast thou been driven thence 3 Adam answered: 'Forbear, Eve, from such words, that peradventure God bring not some other curse upon us. How is it possible that I should stretch forth my hand against my own flesh? Nay, let us arise and look for something for us to live on, that we fail not.'

4:1 And they walked about and searched for nine days, and they found none such as they were used to have in paradise, but found only animals 2 food. And Adam said to Eve: 'This hath the Lord provided for animals and brutes to eat; 3 but we used to have angels' food. But it is just and right that we lament before the sight of God who made us. Let us repent with a great penitence: perchance the Lord will be gracious to us and will pity us and will give us a share of something for our living.'

v. 1 And Eve said to Adam: 'What is penitence? Tell me, what sort of penitence am I to do? Let us not put too great a labour on ourselves, 'which we cannot endure, so that the Lord will 2 not hearken to our prayers: and will turn away, His countenance from us, because we have not, 3 fulfilled what we promised. My lord, how much penitence hast thou thought (to do) for I have brought trouble and anguish upon thee?'

vi. 1 And Adam said to Eve: 'Thou canst not do so much as I, but do only so much as thou hast strength for. For I will spend forty days fasting, but do thou arise and go to the river Tigris and lift up a stone and stand on it in the water up to thy neck in the deep of the river. And let no speech proceed out of thy mouth, since we are unworthy to address the Lord, for our lips are unclean from the unlawful and forbidden tree. 2 And do thou stand in the water of the river thirty-seven days. But I will spend forty days in the water of Jordan, perchance the Lord God will take pity upon us.'

vii. 1 And Eve walked to the river Tigris and did 2 as Adam had told her. Likewise, Adam walked to the river Jordan and stood on a stone up to his neck in water.

viii. 1 And Adam said: "I tell thee, water of Jordan, grieve with me, and assemble to me all swimming (creatures), which are in thee, and let them surround 2 me and mourn in company with me. Not, for themselves let them lament, but for me; for it is not they that have sinned, but I.' 3 Forthwith, all living things came and surrounded him, and, from that hour, the water of Jordan stood (still) and its current was stayed.'

ix. 1 And eighteen days passed by; then Satan was wroth and transformed himself into the brightness of angels, and went away to the river 2 Tigris to Eve, and found her weeping, and the devil himself pretended to grieve with her, and he began to weep and said to her: 'Come out of the river and lament no more. Cease now from sorrow and moans. Why art thou anxious 3 and thy husband Adam? The Lord God hath heard your groaning and hath accepted your penitence, and all we angels have entreated on your behalf and made supplication to the Lord; 4 and he hath sent me to bring you out of the water and give you the nourishment which you had in paradise, and for which you are crying 5 out. Now come out of the water and I will conduct you to the place where your victual hath been made ready.'

x. 1 But Eve heard and believed and went out of the water of the river, and her flesh was (trembling) 2 like grass, from the chill of the water. And when she had gone out, she fell on the earth and the devil raised her up and led her to Adam. 3 But when Adam had seen her and the devil with her, he wept and cried aloud and said: 'O Eve, Eve, where is the labour of thy penitence? 4 How hast thou been again ensnared by our adversary, by whose means we have been estranged from our abode in paradise and spiritual joy?'

xi. 1 And when she heard this, Eve understood that (it was) the devil (who) had persuaded her to go out of the river; and she fell on her face on the earth and her sorrow and groaning and wailing 2 was redoubled. And she cried out and said: Woe unto thee, thou devil. Why dost thou attack us for no cause? What hast thou to do with us? What have we done to thee? for thou pursuest us with craft? Or why doth thy malice 3 assail us? Have we taken away thy glory and caused thee to be without honour? Why dost thou harry us, thou enemy (and persecute us) to the death in wickedness and envy?'

xii. 1 And with a heavy sigh, the devil spake: 'O Adam! all my hostility, envy, and sorrow is for thee, since it is for thee that I have been expelled from my glory, which I possessed in the heavens 2 in the midst of the angels and for thee was I cast out in the earth.' Adam answered, 'What dost 3 thou tell me? What have I done to thee or what is my fault against thee? Seeing that thou hast received no harm or injury from us, why dost thou pursue us?'

xiii. 1 The devil replied, 'Adam, what dost thou tell me? It is for thy sake that I have been hurled 2 from that place. When thou wast formed, I was hurled out of the presence of God and banished from the company of the angels. When God blew into thee the breath of life and thy face and likeness was made in the image of God, Michael also brought thee and made (us) worship thee in the sight of God; and God the Lord spake: Here is Adam. I have made thee in our image and likeness.'

xiv. 1 And Michael went out and called all the angels saying: Worship the image of God as the Lord God hath commanded.' 2 And Michael himself worshipped first; then he called me and said: 'Worship the image of God 3 the Lord.' And I answered, 'I have no (need) to worship Adam.' And since Michael kept urging me to worship, I said to him, 'Why dost thou urge me? I will not worship an inferior and younger being (than I). I am his senior in the Creation, before he was made was I already made. It is his duty to worship me.'

xv. 1, 2 When the angels, who were under me, heard this, they refused to worship him. And Michael saith, 'Worship the image of God, but if thou wilt not worship him, the Lord God will be wrath 3 with thee.' And I said, 'If He be wrath with me, I will set my seat above the stars of heaven and will be like the Highest.'

xvi. 1 And God the Lord was wrath with me and banished me and my angels from our glory; and on 2 thy account were we expelled from our abodes into this world and hurled on the earth. And 3 straightway we were overcome with grief, since we had been spoiled of so great glory. And we 4 were grieved when we saw thee in such joy and luxury. And with guile I cheated thy wife and caused thee to be expelled through her (doing) from thy joy and luxury, as I have been driven out of my glory.'

Follow this link to get the rest of the story

Council#13
shock

lord xyz
18 days without food? I can't even go one day without food.

DigiMark007
The Garden of Eden, and the Adam & Eve characters, have quite a few predessesors throughout older traditions, but all carry a similar message.

What is usually thought to be the Christian message for the Eden story is one of obedience to God. But the root upon which it is based is lost.

The key is the fruit that they eat. It is the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. An obvious metaphor (like Adam and Eve themselves), the consumption teaches them of the world of opposites. They are no longer "one with everything" and now perceive divisions in existence. They are indoctrinated into duality.

God throws them out of "Paradise" (another metaphor for spiritual paradise, rather than a physical place). And at the gate he places 2 cherubim with flaming swords to guard the gates of paradise. These 2 cherubim represent the world of opposites, the duality and seperation of the material world. To re-enter "Paradise" then, the initiate has to walk between the pairs of opposites.

This means that to enter spiritual paradise we must discard temporal (i.e. material) conceptions of reality, and understanding that we are all aspects of the divine principle which is "God" (or Enlightenment, Nirvana, etc. depending on your tradition).

The eating of animals present in Face's account also represents the beginning of turmoil caused by the division of The Fall. Prior to that, all animals were depicted as vegetarians in the Garden of Eden. Thus, the duality brings about the beginning of division, and thus conflict.

Two statues adorn the gateway to Buddhist temples in much the same way, primarily in the Mahayana (sp?) tradition. One stands with its mouth open, the other closed. Pairs of opposites. You walk between the guardians to enter the temple, entering a place of spiritual awakening that is intended to remove the pairs of opposites from your mind.

The pillars of salt and fire prominent in the Old Testament serve much the same purpose. Other stories obviously could be found as well, but this illustrates my point enough that it is not necessary to recount too many others.

Atlantis001
I should take some time to read this apocrypha to see what new implications will it have to christianity, and why people classified it as an apocrypha.

There is some other interesting books, like the texts of the Nag Hammadi... I already read some. Here is the link, if anyone is interested :

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlcodex.html

The text "On the Origin of the World" is particularly interesting... a different view of that God banishing lucifer from heaven thing.

The are also references to God in the feminine, as "Pistis Sophia".

debbiejo
Also symbolic is that Adam and Eve were the spiritual nature of all ..and they walked with god. Once tempted and taken by the fruit of knowledge, they were accepting the responsibility of a human body. Hence they could not walk with god again. They could not take of the tree of Life anymore because they chose the physical and would now know what we call life here in the physical body and die......

Capt_Fantastic
So, what's the question? Or statement? Or point?

debbiejo
Gave mine..........

Is it acceptable?

Capt_Fantastic
Yes Debs, your is fine

Now I'd like to know the answer from the person who started teh thread. It's not just for me, it's for everyone.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Atlantis001
I should take some time to read this apocrypha to see what new implications will it have to christianity, and why people classified it as an apocrypha.

There is some other interesting books, like the texts of the Nag Hammadi... I already read some. Here is the link, if anyone is interested :

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlcodex.html

The text "On the Origin of the World" is particularly interesting... a different view of that God banishing lucifer from heaven thing.

The are also references to God in the feminine, as "Pistis Sophia".

Most of that is based on the Gnostic Gospels. "Gnosis" is roughly translated as acheiving the godhead, becoming god yourself (become one with the divine of walking between the paradise guardians I spoke of earlier).

Gnostic traditions have as much in common with Eastern religions as they do with mainstream Christianity. In most Gnostic teachings, Jesus is an example of the divinity in us all, whereas he is the only one who is truly "god" in orthodox Christianity, and we aren't capable of acheiving that except through him.

So yes, they probably frame the example of the Garden quite differently than regular Christianity.

But, as we've seen time and time again, it's usually better to explain a conept in your own words than simply posting a website....I've browsed through that site on my own, but no one would find anything pertinent to this discussion unless they spent a lot of time there, probably more than most are willing to spend.

Robtard
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
So, what's the question? Or statement? Or point?

I'm guessing and this is just a far fetched stab but, "Jesus" would be the end all be all answer. Believe in Jesus, renege on our inherited sin from Adam & Eve and be one with God in heaven... HALLELUJAH BROTHER! Can you feel the spirit!? Can you!?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Robtard
I'm guessing and this is just a far fetched stab but, "Jesus" would be the end all be all answer. Believe in Jesus, renege on our inherited sin from Adam & Eve and be one with God in heaven... HALLELUJAH BROTHER! Can you feel the spirit!? Can you!?

I assumed as much. But I think this habit of doing nothing but posting bible verse or text from other religious books is getting really old. This isn't a forum for debate anymore. It's just an on-line bible these days. All these members that post bible quotes and say it's the truth because the bible says it's the truth is getting boring.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Face
1:1 When they were driven out from paradise, they made themselves a booth, and spent seven days mourning and lamenting in great grief.

I know it shouldn't but for some reason this sentence conjures up an image of to people sitting in the middle of a desert in a booth, like the ones they have a Pizza Hut, crying and feeling sorry for themselves.

Or a phone booth.

And great grief makes me think of Charlie Browns great, great, great etc grandfather.

debbiejo
Or Lucy's booth......for 10 cents you get counseling......

DigiMark007
Originally posted by debbiejo

It's 5 cents.

no expression

debbiejo
Oh.....I'm thinking inflation. huh

Atlantis001
Also symbolic is that Adam and Eve were the spiritual nature of all ..and they walked with god. Once tempted and taken by the fruit of knowledge, they were accepting the responsibility of a human body. Hence they could not walk with god again. They could not take of the tree of Life anymore because they chose the physical and would now know what we call life here in the physical body and die......

There is also the fact that the original tree of life is the kabbalistic tree of life, the 10 sephiroth. The sephiroth represented the way into physical manifestation, and it was called the way of the serpent. So it was not a coincidence that in the bible it was a serpent who made Eve eat from the fruit of the tree of knowledge(or follow the path of manifestation).

It is clear that the biblic garden of eden derived from the kabbalah. Perhaps more of the original history can be found in this book.

DigiMark007
It is clear that the biblic garden of eden derived from the kabbalah. Perhaps more of the original history can be found in this book.

Originally posted by DigiMark007
The Garden of Eden, and the Adam & Eve characters, have quite a few predessesors throughout older traditions...

...Yes. But.

Even Judaism and Kabbalah have older references. It's all part of a long tradition. Saying something is clearly derivitive of something denies the multiple influences that likely predate both, and also falsely asserts that it's possible to verify beyond doubt the origin of certain stories like this one.

Face
The moto of their story was to give man and woman a hope to finding paradise but also to obey Gods law or be punished as they were stripped of immortallity.
In our time we look to Jesus and Mary for salvation cause their teachings help us in everyday life

Atlantis001
Originally posted by DigiMark007
...Yes. But.

Even Judaism and Kabbalah have older references. It's all part of a long tradition. Saying something is clearly derivitive of something denies the multiple influences that likely predate both, and also falsely asserts that it's possible to verify beyond doubt the origin of certain stories like this one.

Yeah, that too. Considering that the jews descended from the babylonians, and that they were the same people before, "the akkadians", probably much of the jewish religion derived from them.
Many things in the kabbalah also look egyptian.

DigiMark007
Yeah, that too. Considering that the jews descended from the babylonians, and that they were the same people before, "the akkadians", probably much of the jewish religion derived from them.
Many things in the kabbalah also look egyptian.

Right. For example, the Old Testament Book of Job is predated by almost 1000 years by a Babylonian text whose story is the same. His name is Job as well, but in the Babylonian version he is afflicted with leprosy rather than boils and such. The message is inherently similar though.

There's also Zoroastrianism influence that predates them, and the Egyptian stuff you mentioned is some of the oldest known predecessors to Judaism and Christianity. The Egyptian god Horus is in fact an early predecessor to Jesus. Reading a list of similarities between their lives is like reading one of those freaky comparison sheets from the Lincoln/Kennedy assassinations (hopefully you're from the states, or that reference will be totally lost on you).

Imperial_Samura

That's even better. As they leave the garden the see Snoopy dancing. Later they are seen in the middle of a desert talking to Lucy at her counseling Booth.

The Bible, as told by Peanuts

Capt_Fantastic

By Lucy, I assume you mean the australopithecine ancestor of humanity.

Face
I've read alot of the bible stories but this one was the most intrigueing they talk about Noahs flood where almost all of humanity is wiped out and they also mention the end times where more destruction will occur.

Its a excellent read

debbiejo
Originally posted by Face
The moto of their story was to give man and woman a hope to finding paradise but also to obey Gods law or be punished as they were stripped of immortallity.
In our time we look to Jesus and Mary for salvation cause their teachings help us in everyday life OR the motto of the story is.......If you do it with a snake you don't get to play in the garden anymore..... sad

Actually the snake was a symbol of goodness/life and god, but the church changed it into an evil symbol because it was pagan.

Oncewhite

Lord Urizen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.