What does America owe England?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
This topic was addressed in the profanity thread, but it was dismissed as off topic, which it was. So I'm making it on topic.

Originally posted by lord xyz
Britain invented the H bomb, many famous people who lived in America were born in Britain, we were the ones who supplied the slaves and many more.

You're government has always piggy-backed ours, in-fact, we're your only ally. Not exactly being a patriotic American in this day and age, I'm not quick to jump to my country's defense, but I think it's a bold statement to say that owe everything to Great Britain. "If it wasn't for the UK, you guys wouldn't have done anything you guys are famous for." What do you mean by that, you mean if it wasn't for an imperialist monarchy that oppressed the colonists, we wouldn't have revolted? I'll give you that, but should you be proud of it? I honestly cannot think of another instance that you could be talking about.

The 'H-Bomb' is a slang term for nuclear weapons, which was acutally invented in The United States by Eastern European scientists with assistance from the UK and Canada

"Many famous people in America were born in Britain" Do you mean the Founding Fathers, who left England because they were disgusted with the monarchy? Do you mean famous actors like Alan Rickman or Emma Thompson? My question back is, 'So?'

But the comment that I'm really focusing on is the piggybacking one. What exactly has America done that 'piggybacked' off of a British precedent?
I could reply to this and prove you wrong. Please, try

Draco69
Oh boy. What have you done? What HAVE you done?

The flaming on this forum that will follow is all on your head, Strangelove.

May God have mercy on your soul.....

no

stick out tongue

Strangelove
Originally posted by Draco69
Oh boy. What have you done? What HAVE you done?

The flaming on this forum that will follow is all on your head, Strangelove.

May God have mercy on your soul.....

no

stick out tongue I accept all responsibility and/or blame that is to be reaped. I'm mainly doing this in response to xyz. I expect a hailstorm of British to come though ninja

=Tired Hiker=
I could care less what lord xyz thinks. He is a pompous ass who generalizes too often. His opinions on Americans is of no importance to me. What he says really does not matter.

KidRock
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I could care less what lord xyz thinks. He is a pompous ass who generalizes too often. His opinions on Americans is of no importance to me. What he says really does not matter.

Long time no see TH, zorro

Anyway, I think the brits are still pissy they lost the Revolution lol. Let them have their fun.

Kram3r
America kicks England's ass any day of the week.

Shad0w_Frost
America owes England NOTHING
England owes America NOTHING

jaden101
i dont know hwat america owes england...but this should make up for it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/87/Mercury_dime_reverse.jpg/180px-Mercury_dime_reverse.jpg

Quiero Mota
Absolutely nothing.

Ushgarak
I REALLY do not think this thread is a good idea. I will close it at the first sign of trouble.

Mišt
America owes me $4 ermm

Shad0w_Frost
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I REALLY do not think this thread is a good idea. I will close it at the first sign of trouble.
I agree...not a good idea at all.

lord xyz
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=

Victor Von Doom
Just give us (me) Alba and Aguilera and we'll call it even.

jaden101
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Just give us (me) Alba and Aguilera and we'll call it even.

i'm sure with aguilera, there will be a whole host of other lifeforms that come with her...got yourself a bargin there

Victor Von Doom
All adds to the experience.

jaden101
true

Ya Krunk'd Floo
All adds to the experience.

First?

lord xyz
I'm afraid to answer this, I really am, instead, it's best for people to ignore me from now on, I really didn't expect this, nor am I comfortable with this. It's kinda like saying which country is better, and I don't want to bash a country and get banned again.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm afraid to answer this, I really am, instead, it's best for people to ignore me from now on, I really didn't expect this, nor am I comfortable with this. It's kinda like saying which country is better, and I don't want to bash a country and get banned again.

I don't think anyone gives a shit about what you post anyway, so don't worry.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
First?

That's not a question- don't you know how to use a question mark.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
That's not a question- don't you know how to use a question mark.

Hahaha, but you didn't use a question mark, hahaha, got you, hahahaha, now you look so silly, don't you.

First timer.

§P0oONY
The American's really owe England nothing. Whereas England actually owe American quite a bit of cash.

§P0oONY
Actually, had a rethink.

America owes England a load, well Hollywood anyway, what's with the crappy remakes of classic British films? The Wickerman!?! The Italian Job!?!?!?!

You owe the same to the Japanese as well, I mean, what the **** did you to to The Ring? And I only dread to think what you're doing to Battle Royale right this second.

You Bastard American Hollywood Scum!! You need to pay some serious reparations or I'm afraid it will mean war....

lord xyz
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I don't think anyone gives a shit about what you post anyway, so don't worry. no expression

Originally posted by §P0oONY
Actually, had a rethink.

America owes England a load, well Hollywood anyway, what's with the crappy remakes of classic British films? The Wickerman!?! The Italian Job!?!?!?!

You owe the same to the Japanese as well, I mean, what the **** did you to to The Ring? And I only dread to think what you're doing to Battle Royale right this second.

You Bastard American Hollywood Scum!! You need to pay some serious reparations or I'm afraid it will mean war.... They also dub great animes. sad

Strangelove
I REALLY do not think this thread is a good idea. I will close it at the first sign of trouble. I guess I don't think so either, I mean it was late and I was kind of offended by those remarks embarrasmentOriginally posted by lord xyz
I'm afraid to answer this, I really am, instead, it's best for people to ignore me from now on, I really didn't expect this, nor am I comfortable with this. It's kinda like saying which country is better, and I don't want to bash a country and get banned again. Nothing is a bannable offense more than bashing a country laughing

Strangelove
They also dub great animes. sad For that crime I will agree with you. sad However, I don't understand a lick of it without some freaking English

Strangelove

Robtard

Don't be a wuss... State your case intelligently with facts and you should have nothing to fear of being banned.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Strangelove
For that crime I will agree with you. sad However, I don't understand a lick of it without some freaking English

Subtitles my dear friend... Unless you Americans can't read at a certain pace.

And we owe you pretty much all of the great actors these days...except Kevin Spacey miffed

Alas it's true.

Quiero Mota

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Yeah, English dubbing on foreign flicks are typically horrible.
Indeed, you more than often get an altered storyline so every other word can have some sort of lip sync.

sithsaber408
A swift kick in the ass?

Quiero Mota
laughing out loud

§P0oONY
Originally posted by sithsaber408
A swift kick in the ass?

Yeah, That's really going to do a lot for the alliance roll eyes (sarcastic)... Plus knowing your friendly-fire you'd kick your own.. no expression

WrathfulDwarf
We owe the British BIG TIME.

They gave us Benny Hill. laughing out loud

This American will forever be grateful for that.

Strangelove

Strangelove

§P0oONY
and they change words to better suit and pander to lack of intelligence (not exclusive to America, mind you ermm), I was upset when they did it with Princess Mononoke

Princess Mononoke rocks. yes

Lana

Strangelove

Strangelove
This is getting to the point where it should be moved to the OTF ermm

botankus
We owe Britain for Britrogue!

lord xyz
I guess I don't think so either, I mean it was late and I was kind of offended by those remarks embarrasment Nothing is a bannable offense more than bashing a country laughing petpet

----------------

I guess I should mention this, America should be grateful that Britain supplied the slaves. It provided a lot of wealth, made people like the founding fathers rich, made a new race in America, helped develop the US economy and quite a lot more.

Britain also made music genres such Heavy Metal, Punk, Britpop, British Invasion, and more.

Prime Ministers such as MArgaret Thatcher, Tony Blair and John Major have helped US presidents into the making of the 21st century. (Although, that probably shouldn't be classed as a good thing) embarrasment

Inventions such as the computer, television, telephone. Bill Gates, is actually British.

I guess there's a lot of things, but now that I think about it, america has helped Britain also. I shall thank Robtard for supporting me on this. (And by that I mean, he told me to do it.)

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong now guys.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Lana
There's only about 2 anime I'll watch dubbed.

Princess Mononoke = one of my favorite anime movies.

Studio Ghibli rocks in general.

Bardock42
petpet

----------------

I guess I should mention this, America should be grateful that Britain supplied the slaves. It provided a lot of wealth, made people like the founding fathers rich, made a new race in America, helped develop the US economy and quite a lot more.

Britain also made music genres such Heavy Metal, Punk, Britpop, British Invasion, and more.

Prime Ministers such as MArgaret Thatcher, Tony Blair and John Major have helped US presidents into the making of the 21st century. (Although, that probably shouldn't be classed as a good thing) embarrasment

Inventions such as the computer, television, telephone. Bill Gates, is actually British.

I guess there's a lot of things, but now that I think about it, america has helped Britain also. I shall thank Robtard for supporting me on this. (And by that I mean, he told me to do it.)

You are still wrong. If anything you should thank the US (and probably Russia) that you are even alive now, cause you couldn't have stopped us...weakos.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Bardock42
You are still wrong. If anything you should thank the US (and probably Russia) that you are even alive now, cause you couldn't have stopped us...weakos.

yes

§P0oONY

yes

But at the same time we sort of saved the Yanks as well... As we were allies... You cute Nazi's would have hit the US eventually.

lord xyz
You are still wrong. If anything you should thank the US (and probably Russia) that you are even alive now, cause you couldn't have stopped us...weakos. I guess, and I already siad that Britain owes America too. We were the first ones to fight back though. Still, you got me there.

The thread title should be "What does America owe Britain"

Quiero Mota

§P0oONY
What the f**k?....

Pfft... We used to own you... mhm

Quiero Mota
We're talkin' WW2 here.

Or actually, either world war for that matter.

lord xyz

§P0oONY
We're talkin' WW2 here.

Or actually, either world war for that matter.

You saved our asses both WWI & WWII...

But you also got owned in Vietnam... So suck my balls. no expression

WrathfulDwarf
I think there is a line in The Simpsons were Moe and some British guy say....

Moe: We save your asses back in WWII

British Guy: Yeah, well, we save YOUR asses back in WWIII.

lol

lord xyz
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I think there is a line in The Simpsons were Moe and some British guy say....

Moe: We save your asses back in WWII

British Guy: Yeah, well, we save YOUR asses back in WWIII.

lol Yes, I just watched that episode on CH4 just a few hours ago. laughing out loud

Regret

Britain also made music genres such Heavy Metal, Punk, Britpop, British Invasion, and more. Prove this one. Punk began in New York and Britain at about the same time, if not earlier in NY. Metal is something Europe should apologize for if it started there.

Inventions such as the computer, television, telephone. Bill Gates, is actually British. Television was invented by Philo Taylor Farnsworth, a native US citizen. The computer, I assume you are referring to operative digital computers, began in Germany and the US almost simultaneously. Bill Gates born Seattle Washington, and I am unaware of a period prior to Microsoft he lived in Europe ever, although he was knighted.

Strangelove
I guess I should mention this, America should be grateful that Britain supplied the slaves. It provided a lot of wealth, made people like the founding fathers rich, made a new race in America, helped develop the US economy and quite a lot more. As far as I remember, I thought that Americans took slaves from Africa direct, not from Britain. Although I suppose you meant we got the idea from you. I admit i've never researched the topic no expression

Strangelove
And when we gave them independance, it all went **** up. You gave us our independence? shock laughing out loud We declared it, bitches! When you 'officially recognised' our independence, it didn't mean shit to us, we were already independent

stick out tongue

§P0oONY
As far as I remember, I thought that Americans took slaves from Africa direct, not from Britain. Although I suppose you meant we got the idea from you. I admit i've never researched the topic no expression

The British transported them. They traded the slaves for weapons.

Strangelove

§P0oONY
oh, ok. Thanks for clarifying thumbsup

'sall good.

I believe this thread would be more interesting if it was titled "What? Does America own England?" hmm

Strangelove

botankus
Originally posted by Regret
Metal is something Europe should apologize for if it started there.

There are many great metal bands from Europe...Carcass, Entombed, Napalm Death, to name a few, but no place on Earth (including the rest of America combined with the world) can compete with Tampa, Florida - The Death Metal capital of the world. Morbid Angel, Obituary, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Trivium, Deicide, and even the world's greatest record store, Ace's Records.

§P0oONY
America pwns England stick out tongue

Sounds like an interesting idea.... Can Ron Jeremy be involved? hmm

§P0oONY
Originally posted by botankus
There are many great metal bands from Europe...Carcass, Entombed, Napalm Death, to name a few, but no place on Earth (including the rest of America combined with the world) can compete with Tampa, Florida - The Death Metal capital of the world. Morbid Angel, Obituary, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Trivium, Deicide, and even the world's greatest record store, Ace's Records.

Erm... Ever heard of Finland? Or any of the Scandinavian countries for that matter? ermm

Strangelove

Strangelove

debbiejo
We don't owe England anything........They were nothing but trouble in our history.

brb gonna get some tea.

botankus

§P0oONY
Originally posted by debbiejo
We don't owe England anything........They were nothing but trouble in our history.

brb gonna get some tea.

We were your history... thumbup1

§P0oONY
Yes, but that has nothing to do with what I said about Tampa, Florida, United States being the Death Metal Capital of the World.
Erm... I think they may be slightly more metal than Tampa, Florida. ermm

Strangelove

botankus

§P0oONY
Okay, let's compare. Nobody formed after 1990 counts, since, like I said in another post, the world didn't begin in 1990. Fair enough?

I already gave Europe Carcass, Entombed, and Napalm Death.

I'm just asking, as far as pioneering death metal, if anybody can beat Tampa, Florida. I'll throw Trivium out since they were formed after 1990. And YES, it does matter that they were after 1990 because death metal formed in the early '80's and I'll be damned if I'm going to award the title to any area that wasn't a major part during it's conception.

That leaves Tampa, Florida with:
Cannibal Corpse
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Death (the genre's true pioneers)
Deicide

Enough said. That collective list is impossible to beat.

BTW, Slayer (not really death metal) is from L.A.

Erm... They live Metal over there. ermm

debbiejo
Crappy part of a small bit of history.......Go ahead share it with Spain, Portugal and others............Who cares.........

Crappy little England with their tabloid Royalty.........lol

§P0oONY
Edit: Double post

§P0oONY
Crappy part of a small bit of history.......Go ahead share it with Spain, Portugal and others............Who cares.........

Crappy little England with there tabloid Royalty.........lol

And you call me Racist?

botankus

§P0oONY
Dude, lay off the erm's for a change. Now that we've cleared that up, please translate your post.

Erm... ermm

Go visit Finland.. ermm

ermm

Strangelove

Crappy little England with there tabloid Royalty.........lol a) use the right 'their'
b) more like an integral part of how the United States was founded

botankus

§P0oONY
Great argument. You win! ermm ermm ermm ermm ermm ermm ermm

High Five?! w00t

But seriously... You're whole discussion about Tampa being the Metal stronghold is really just off-topic, the fact that it is popular there has nothing to do with where it 1st came from.

debbiejo
a) use the right 'their'
b) more like an integral part of how the United States was founded Integral? Not really, just a wee wee bit of snobby British tea guzzling Christian fanatics.

Most the people here are not from England btw.......We made sure their women had abortions.

Strangelove
Integral? Not really, just a wee wee bit of snobby British tea guzzling Christian fanatics.

Most the people here are not from England btw.......We made sure their women had abortions. making an inaccurate stament and then throwing out a meaningless point about abortions? What's wrong with you?

lord xyz
Prove this one. Punk began in New York and Britain at about the same time, if not earlier in NY. Metal is something Europe should apologize for if it started there. There is some debate on that I admit.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/9740/punkstar.htm

Television was invented by Philo Taylor Farnsworth, a native US citizen. The computer, I assume you are referring to operative digital computers, began in Germany and the US almost simultaneously. Bill Gates born Seattle Washington, and I am unaware of a period prior to Microsoft he lived in Europe ever, although he was knighted. Ever heard of John Logie Baird? An English bloke who invented the tele if I'm not mistaken. Ever heard of the colossus? The very first computer invented in Britain, was it not? As for Bill Gates, by british I meant his family.

§P0oONY
There is some debate on that I admit.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Backstage/9740/punkstar.htm

Ever heard of John Logie Baird? An English bloke who invented the tele if I'm not mistaken. Ever heard of the colossus? The very first computer invented in Britain, was it not? As for Bill Gates, by british I meant his family.

The 1st computer; although it's really irelevant as it has nothing to do with modern computers was actually found in Greece... It was Ancient Greek, it was used to work out some shit to do with stars... Can't remember now.

Robtard
petpet

----------------

Britain did not really supply America's slaves, Britain had outlawed slavery long before the American Civil War.

Not sure what "new race" you're referring to? I'm guessing you mean 'new culture'? Even then, Britain didn't make the American culture, immigrants from many countries coming into America made it.

As far as music and any other pop culture you refer too, America nor any other country owes Britain for these things.

Prime Minsters helping U.S. Presidents, America and the Britain are allies and allies help each other, it goes both ways here. No real thanks needed.

Inventions...

Computer: Many different people are credited in one way or another for this invention, but Konrad Zuse is credited for inventing the first programmable computer in 1936 which lead us to what we have now; he is German.

Television: Edwin Belin is credited for what lead to the T.V. invention and he is English, but again, more than more person shares credit for the television(final product).

Telephone: Alexander Graham Bell is Scottish, so thank you Scotland!

Bill Gates: Born in Seattle Washington, so that would make him an American.

Yes, for the most part you were wrong...

BackFire
They have our allegiance. What more do they need?

And sorry, VVD, Alba and Aguilera are mine. You can, however, have the Olson twins, nearly free of charge.

Strangelove
Ever heard of John Logie Baird? An English bloke who invented the tele if I'm not mistaken. Ever heard of the colossus? The very first computer invented in Britain, was it not? As for Bill Gates, by british I meant his family. the inventions that led up to the invention of television are credited to John Logie Baird as well as Charles Francis Jenkis, an American, but the actual television was invented by Farnsworth.

lord xyz
the inventions that led up to the invention of television are credited to John Logie Baird as well as Charles Francis Jenkis, an American, but the actual television was invented by Farnsworth. hmm

§P0oONY
the inventions that led up to the invention of television are credited to John Logie Baird as well as Charles Francis Jenkis, an American, but the actual television was invented by Farnsworth.

And England invented America. hmm

lord xyz

Soleran
That's nothing to be proud of. ermm

Lol, yeah whatever.

jaden101
one of the more irritating things that america has given us....

along with

Deano
some people on here need to re-program there minds. deadly serious

Strangelove

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Deano
some people on here need to re-program there minds. deadly serious

roll eyes (sarcastic) And tell us why....

The Pict

And Russia as an afterthought? erm Russia won the war, not america. And why would we thank them for that? They went to war when attacked, not before to help britain.

I know your post was probably a joke, but this is a part of history that really riles me up.

ThePittman

§P0oONY
no2 The Founding Fathers invented America while being part of England, that doesn't count as England inventing America. Of course, you can't really 'invent' a country

So England was the brains behind the founding of America. hmm

The Pict

Quiero Mota

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by BackFire
They have our allegiance. What more do they need?

And sorry, VVD, Alba and Aguilera are mine. You can, however, have the Olson twins, nearly free of charge.

Seems fair.

The Pict

Exactly. The Rooskies were in it for selfish reasons. The only reason they allied with the US and UK is because we had a common enemy in Hitler.

You misinterpreted my meaning, I meant the US only got involved once they were attacked.

Yep, Germany would've easily handled England and Russia.

Not a chance in hell, read up on what happened in Russia. And Germany didn't have the resources to invade britain.

Ushgarak
Yep, Germany would've easily handled England and Russia.

Good Lord, where is this utter nonsense coming from?

Germany could not conquer the UK and was going to be totally crushed by Russia no matter what.

ThePittman

Strangelove

Ushgarak
Err, no! Where the hell did you learn history? Germany was totally beaten by Russia and Japan was in no position to do anything to the Soviets either. The Soviets weren't IN a two front war.

There is some pitiful ignorance on display in this thread.

§P0oONY
Militarily, we kicked ass.

You kick ass militarily until you shoot an ally... You and your friendly fire. no expression

Strangelove

Quiero Mota
Good Lord, where is this utter nonsense coming from?

Germany could not conquer the UK and was going to be totally crushed by Russia no matter what.

Not without the US on the Allied ticket.

§P0oONY
no2 people who happened to be English subjects (and hated England) founded America

So America was founded by English rejects... hmm

Quiero Mota

Ushgarak
Not without the US on the Allied ticket.

Err, no on both counts.

Strangelove
Yep, Germany would've easily handled England and Russia. Are you kidding? Germany got their ass kicked by Russia and Britain. All of this patriotic propaganda that America won World War II is bullshit, we were an afterthought, a country that cared more for its own ass than the international community

§P0oONY
Russia could have taken a lot more punishment than it did before it would have fallen

Punishment? Wasn't it the Russians that stormed Berlin? Didn't they hand out the punishment after the Nazi's invaded Russia during winter... (Good job Nazi's)

The Pict

Strangelove

Strangelove

§P0oONY
no2 it was founded by self-isolated malcontents, not rejects

So English rejects then? hmm

Quiero Mota
Err, no on both counts.

Germany took France in only six weeks; something it couldn't do in 4 years of WW1. England was next.

§P0oONY
Germany took France in only six weeks; something it couldn't do in 4 years of WW1. England was next.

Erm... Hate to break it to you pal... Russia was the problem to Germany... Not America.

WrathfulDwarf
WWII in Europe was mostly fought with the Germans, English, Russians, and the French.

WWII in the South Pacific was mostly fought by America. That is where the US is mostly credited.

Ushgarak
Let's get this World War issue sorted right now.

The whole of Western Europe owes the US a huge debt of thanks foe what it did to liberate it in World War II (and the UK, not liberated but certainly having no fun with the Nazis triumphant in Europe and needing relief). Yes, the Americans were late in, but I doubt the Europeans would have lifted a finger to help in an American war until it grew to involve them also. This debt was followed by more as the US guaranteed Western European security for the next fifty years.

But if you want a straight answer to the thread question... ok, then the answer is that the US owes the UK that the UK stayed in the war long enough to make that possible.

The UK stayed in the war against the Nazis for nearly a year entirely solo. No other country (excluding UK Imperial attachments) was fighting the Nazis in this time. And the UK was th first countr yto stop the Nazis getting what they wanted- a UK surrender.

If the UK had surrendered, there could have been no African campaign, no D-Day, and no practical intervention in Europe. The Russians would have rolled up the whole lot- and almost certainbly taken Japan too. The US would have los tthe shot it got at getting this enormous post war cultural influence over the world that it has toda.

So that's what you owe the UK. The chance that made you what you are.

There.

WrathfulDwarf
Ahem...

WWII in Europe was mostly fought with the Germans, English, Russians, and the French.

WWII in the South Pacific was mostly fought by America. That is where the US is mostly credited.

Ushgarak

They failed to take the UK. They couldn't do it. Go learn some history.

Quiero Mota

Minus the French.

Strangelove

Quiero Mota
They failed to take the UK. They couldn't do it. Go learn some history.

Yeah the failed at their first attepmt. They were gonna come back for round 2, though.

§P0oONY

Germany & Italy vs. Russia, France & Britain.

Japan vs. America

followed by

Germany vs. Russia, France, Britain & America.

Sort of how I like to look at it... Even though it's not exactly right.

WrathfulDwarf
Minus the French.

Technically...the French Resistance. wink

Ushgarak
Yeah the failed at their first attepmt. They were gonna come back for round 2, though.

No they weren't. Even if they were, the Russians were going to finish the deal first.

The Germans actively lacked the capacity to take the UK; they had neither the naval nor the aerial ability to do so.

Quiero Mota
Technically...the French Resistance. wink

Ay guey...

I'm talking about a real fighting force.

The Pict

You realise Britain is an island and not a neighbouring country to germany right?

WrathfulDwarf
I think I know what happens with the UK confusion of WWII. It's because most of us here in America have seen the footage and films of The Deutsche Luftwaffe. London looked very devastated during the attack. Remenber even H. G. Wells in his novel The Time Machine makes a referrence on the bombing. So it's reasonable people see it as a defeat.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by The Pict
You realise Britain is an island and not a neighbouring country to germany right?

No shit.

Quiero Mota
I think I know what happens with the UK confusion of WWII. It's because most of us here in America have seen the footage and films of The Deutsche Luftwaffe. London looked very devastated during the attack. Remenber even H. G. Wells in his novel The Time Machine makes a referrence on the bombing. So it's reasonable people see it as a defeat.

The Time Machine was written in 1895.

§P0oONY
Can we just agree that Britain owes America nothing.... Well, not from WWII anyway?

Strangelove
Yeah the failed at their first attepmt. They were gonna come back for round 2, though. Germany had no capacity whatsoever to take Russia or England. They overreached their army.

Like Ush said, go learn some history

Strangelove

Capt_Fantastic
It is well documented that Hitler did NOT want to invade the UK. Once he became convinced they would not strike up a treaty with Germany, he planned an invasion, but nothing ever came of it because he knew it was not a possibility. This is why he relied on the airforce to pummel them into submission and ordered his U-boats to cut off their supply lines in the Atlantic.

As for Russia, it had way to many men to fall to the German military. But the real mistake made by Germany was ignoring history and continuing to march on Russia in the winter. This held back their advance, giving the Russians time to regroup, on top of the fact that Russian winters were second nature for them. If Germany had held off until after the western European theater was accomplished or abandoned, it might have had a slightly better chance of engaging Russia on equal ground.

WrathfulDwarf
The Time Machine was written in 1895.

You are very correct. I was thinking of the 1960 film instead of the novel. My bad mistake.

Quiero Mota
Germany had no capacity whatsoever to take Russia or Germany. They overreached their army.

Like Ush said, go learn some history

In a prolonged war, you're right. That's why Germany went for a swift kill. Samething with Japan; they knew they couldn't win a prolonged war either.

The Pict
No shit.

Right so how were Germany, while fighting in Russia going to amount an invasion of a huge island, protected by a great navy? There was no way Germany could take out france then go for britain.

Strangelove
In a prolonged war, you're right. That's why Germany went for a swift kill. Samething with Japan; they knew they couldn't win a prolonged war either. Yes, Germany went for a swift kill, and failed. Massively.

Ushgarak
In a prolonged war, you're right. That's why Germany went for a swift kill. Samething with Japan; they knew they couldn't win a prolonged war either.

And they failed, and that rather proves the point. US intervention was not the vital component in Germany's defeat- Russia was.

Nor was US military intervention necessary to save the UK- Germany could not take the UK, and lakced the will to try anyway.

I outlined the benefits and debts involved from the US intervention in my post on the last page.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by The Pict
Right so how were Germany, while fighting in Russia going to amount an invasion of a huge island, protected by a great navy? There was no way Germany could take out france then go for britain.

Not all of Germany was in Russia, just like not all of the US was in the Pacific. I beleive Germany's plan was to invade via the English Channel. But losing the Battle of Britian set them back.

Ushgarak
It didn't set them back. It wasn't that sort of Battle. It proved to them that the entire idea was pointless. Britain could not be invaded by sea or induced to surrender by air assault; Germany was just taking heavy losses for no gain. And a lot of them knew it from the start; Adolf Galland is very particular on this point.

Nothing they ever did would have changed that.

Quiero Mota
Germany could not take the UK, and lakced the will to try anyway.

They lacked the means and materiel perhaps, but not the will, ey.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>