Aquaman: most despised DC character ever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BarcodeOnTheBac
I decided to subscribe to Aquaman recently, after watching an old
"Super Friends" episode with my wife and kids, and finding out that the
title was ongoing. I always thought the character was funny, in a
"Wonder Twins" cheesy sort of way. I am starting to regret
subscribing. It's not that I hate the character or anything - I just
feel really let down overall with how DC is treating him. It's like
having a TV network put one of your favorite shows in a horrible
timeslot where you KNOW the show will never recover.

Here are a few of the things that really tick me off (#2 the most)

1) The title. "Sword of Atlantis" doesn't make a lot of sense. Hello!
Shouldn't it be "Trident of Atlantis", or something like that? The type of swords shown in the comic work ok in AIR for slashing, but not so well in WATER, which has a lot more resistance.

2) The artwork is very, very lacking. Out of the 30 DC and Marvel
titles I subscribe to, Aquaman has the absolutely worst art I have ever
seen. Everything seems to be in pastels, and facial features almost
look like the artist has had too much to drink, and is making wobbly
lines.

3) The story keeps going out on tangents. When I get done with an
issue, far too often I feel like nothing interesting has happened. It reminds me of this episode of Dragon Ball Z I watched - when it was over, I realized that the first third of the episode was the recap, the last third was "what will happen next", and the actual episode was everyone standing around saying "No Way -That's Impossible!" The characters don't seem that interesting. I guess if I had to sum everything up about this title, I would simply leave you with the word "Bland".

If they got a better artist, at least, I would feel much better about
supporting this title. Strangely enough, out of about 30 titles that I
get, this is the only one my wife reads.

Tha C-Master
Most mediocre, perhaps. Most despised, I'm not so sure.

olympian
No.

The story seems slow to you because theres no DB moments each issue. Thats to be expected, Busiek is using another approach other than the typical "just another superhero comic". Its more a fantasy approach. Wich suits the character like PAD has showed before.

Now, i know that art is a very subjective matter, but calling Guice`s art, lacking? The guy is a strong storyteller, and while not my fav i think hes far from the level you got him to.

grey fox
Originally posted by BarcodeOnTheBac

1) The title. "Sword of Atlantis" doesn't make a lot of sense. Hello!
Shouldn't it be "Trident of Atlantis", or something like that? The type of swords shown in the comic work ok in AIR for slashing, but not so well in WATER, which has a lot more resistance.

Swords are symbolic for both power and rulership (as well as a variety of other things) having Aquaman use "Sword of Atlantis" as a title is rather fitting.

Plus "Trident of Atlantis" would sound REALLY stupid.

roughrider
I used to hate the Ted Kord/Blue Beetle as DC's cheesiest character (but he's dead now.) Aquaman is not far behind. big grin

Accel
Aquaman is pretty kick-ass, but people who don't read comics base all their Aquaman knowledge off the 'Superfriends' cartoon. Because of that cartoon, their impression of him is that all he can do is talk to fish.

Validus
Accel is exactly right. I like Aquaman quite a bit but he definitely has a negative stigma.

DarkCrawler
Yeah, Aquaman's reputation was totally raped in Superfriends cartoon.

In every episode.

Several times.

Per minute.

Seriously, watch it. No other superhero's character has been tarnished that much.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Yeah, Aquaman's reputation was totally raped in Superfriends cartoon.

In every episode.

Several times.

Per minute.

Seriously, watch it. No other superhero's character has been tarnished that much. The character never bothered me, but it was how he was presented at times that made him seem like they were "trying too hard", new powers, then a "new attitude".

I don't think people consider him enough to hate him though, I think the more loved characters like Superman are evenly hated more.

Validus
Hook hand Aquaman was definitely a product of the 90's.

Tha C-Master
Nothing could compare to the mullet my friend. pirate

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
The character never bothered me, but it was how he was presented at times that made him seem like they were "trying too hard", new powers, then a "new attitude".

I don't think people consider him enough to hate him though, I think the more loved characters like Superman are evenly hated more.

Yeah, but to the general public, Aquaman might just be the most lame superhero they ever have heard of. I mean, he was cool in Pre-Crisis, actually, but the Superfriends people completely killed his character for the cartoon...(and others, to be fair). I heard that Reginald Hudlin worships the Sri Lankan child slaves that were forced to write the series as his gods when it comes to writing characters OFF-character.

Grimm22
Aquaman in Justice is one bad motherf***er cool

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Yeah, but to the general public, Aquaman might just be the most lame superhero they ever have heard of. I mean, he was cool in Pre-Crisis, actually, but the Superfriends people completely killed his character for the cartoon...(and others, to be fair). I heard that Reginald Hudlin worships the Sri Lankan child slaves that were forced to write the series as his gods when it comes to writing characters OFF-character. I agree, he is to the general public. I was trying to find a way of saying it without offending posters here though. People find him mediocre. His colors, his concept most likely just seems soft for them.

I thought he was OK then, because of the standards that Television had those days. WW couldn't even really fly or anything. It was just how they tried to progress him IMO.

Doc Potato
AM's not the worst hero... but he is in effect a pretty wussy Namor clone...

Rewmac
I wanted to check on his new series along with Hawkgirl....Does Aquaman current any good???

Rewmac
Originally posted by Rewmac
I wanted to check on his new series along with Hawkgirl....Does Aquaman current any good???

Sorry fo' the spelling mistake big grin Comes sometimes when I write fast... confused

Deathstroke
Originally posted by Grimm22
Aquaman in Justice is one bad motherf***er cool

I'll second that. I'm glad they gave him a big part in that series.

roughrider
Originally posted by Doc Potato

yes

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Doc Potato

Namor is utterly overrated. Aquaman on the other hand is very underrated. As mention before JLA Aquaman is kick ass. His Healing factor rivals that of Wolverine.

DarkCrawler
Namor is utterly overrated in what?

Aquaman isn't Namor clone. Lots of similarities that probably were copied from Namor though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.