Why do we suffer, and what is suffering ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Atlantis001
What is suffering ? Why external situations makes us enter in this state know as "suffering" ?

I mean, its us who think what we think and who feel what we feel, so why do we choose to suffer sometimes ? Why do we want to suffer if our feelings are created by us ?

Storm
A great deal of life' s suffering is unavoidable, but there are areas of our lives in which we often create great pain, and which each of us has the power to change.

WrathfulDwarf
We learn from our pains. That's all I can think of at the moment. In a sadistic form..suffering is learning.

Regret
Originally posted by Atlantis001
What is suffering ? Why external situations makes us enter in this state know as "suffering" ?

I mean, its us who think what we think and who feel what we feel, so why do we choose to suffer sometimes ? Why do we want to suffer if our feelings are created by us ? Without suffering how would we be capable of defining the opposite end of the spectrum? Given that there will be varying degrees of happiness or contentment, suffering is the less happy or content portions of the spectrum. Suffering exists because there is no singular point on this spectrum where our "feelings" will stay for the duration of our existence.

Also, given the metabolic nature of the brain, diet impacts the "feelings" we have. Diet is rather difficult to regulate well, we crave foods based on physiological deficiencies our body recognize. So during periods of craving we may be more prone to "feelings" of suffering, due to nutrients required to maintain the physiological state associated with happiness and contentment being lacking, depending on what is needed by the body. Economic levels will probably also impact the the "feelings" of an individual as well, given the costs associated with a proper nutrition.

Also, position in ones social structure impacts serotonin production. Serotonin levels impact perception of happiness and contentment.

If one wants, one experiences suffering, because they define a portion of the spectrum of happiness/suffering and recognize their position on it as being less than their desired position.

Suffering is inescapable. It is the level of acceptance of the role of suffering that impacts our perception as to the value of suffering in ourselves.

Atlantis001
Interesting view. It is wanting or desiring something that causes suffering(and since frustration is always a possibility). Maybe learning and change requires suffering, but why do we want to learn if we suffer ? Is there a way to give end to our suffering by learning and evolving or it is just a necessity ? Like just a pleasure and we choose to suffer to have it.... in a sadistic form like WrathfulDwarf said.

redcaped
My penis...8 years without sex.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by redcaped
My penis...8 years without sex.

I am so sorry. eek!

debbiejo
Depends what kind of suffering one is doing. Physical or not. If it's not physical then there is no external suffering. If it's internal then it is ones choice whether to suffer or not.

So why do we suffer? Because we chose to. Some do it because they enjoy the turmoil, others do it unknowingly because they don't see that it is only they who could end it.

Charmed_Phoebe
Originally posted by debbiejo
Depends what kind of suffering one is doing. Physical or not. If it's not physical then there is no external suffering. If it's internal then it is ones choice whether to suffer or not.

So why do we suffer? Because we chose to. Some do it because they enjoy the turmoil, others do it unknowingly because they don't see that it is only they who could end it.

what about people who have been abused mentally and physically?

Regret
Interesting view. It is wanting or desiring something that causes suffering(and since frustration is always a possibility). Maybe learning and change requires suffering, but why do we want to learn if we suffer ? Is there a way to give end to our suffering by learning and evolving or it is just a necessity ? Like just a pleasure and we choose to suffer to have it.... in a sadistic form like WrathfulDwarf said. I don't believe suffering can necessarily be avoided. Is suffering really a bad thing? I believe contentment is the goal that should be pursued. The aid of others, in the removing of some of their suffering, is also a means of lessening our own perception of our personal suffering. Consequence is unavoidable, given this, we learn how to maximize happiness and minimize suffering. An efficient management of behaviors, internal and external, will reduce the negative effects of consequence.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Charmed_Phoebe
what about people who have been abused mentally and physically? Great question. It is odd how many people can suffer the same mental or physical abuse, but some are stronger than it and others are not. Example: Some who are sexually abused will do the same to others. Others who are sexually abused will have empathy for others and not do it. So actually I am not sure I can answer that question...

debbiejo
Phoebe ???

hug <--- always.............

~Forever*Alone~
i choose to suffer because i enjoy it, some people are like that.

in that case i suppose its not suffering though....

Charmed_Phoebe
Great question. It is odd how many people can suffer the same mental or physical abuse, but some are stronger than it and others are not. Example: Some who are sexually abused will do the same to others. Others who are sexually abused will have empathy for others and not do it. So actually I am not sure I can answer that question...

yeah it is a pretty hard question. I do not believe people esp children who are abused in any way CHOICE to suffer. Adults lay their suffering on them.

Debbie?? Its my birthday tomorrow HALLOWEEN RULES!!!! smile

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Regret
Without suffering how would we be capable of defining the opposite end of the spectrum?

Who cares about defining anything....happiness and pleasure would still exist, even without the names to label them so.

Wonderer

I mean, its us who think what we think and who feel what we feel, so why do we choose to suffer sometimes ? Why do we want to suffer if our feelings are created by us ?

You suffer because you are attached to things and experiences. Those who suffer, expects too much from life, in terms of the fullfilment of desire, passion, material needs, etc. If you detach from your mental projections and wants, you will not suffer - accept the world for what it is. That is the Buddha's way. Rid your self of passion, desire, cravings and grasping and you will be liberated. Also, meditate and chant mantras.

Storm
I would rather feel pain, than to feel nothing at all.

Mindship
After all is said and done, we suffer because of Death Terror. Suffering reminds us of our mortality and attachment to life.

Lord Urizen
No one chooses to suffer (unless you are masochist), we only choose to allow ourselves to suffer.

Unless you initiate that suffering upon yourself, external forces are beyond your control, and your emotional or physical suffering are a natural response to that stimuli.

Suffering is simply a result of these external (environment, people, etc.) or internal (masochism) factors. In mental and emotional suffering, we do not have to allow certain things to hurt us.

Ofcourse, certain pains, like the Death of a Family Member or loved one, is too powerful for us to simply look past....that kind of suffering we need to endure in order to truly move on.....

Just remember....Suffering is not just a human thing. Animals suffer too, so suffering is a natural state of being. However, suffering heralds things, events, or places that we are not supposed to have, experience, or be in.

ex: If you set yourself on fire, you will burn and feel horrible pain for a few minutes....your skin is not meant to endure fire, because this will cause its destruction....your skin, by usage of nerves, will send signals to your brain in the form of intense pain, as a response to a harmful substance.

ex: As Human Beings we are social creatures.....social creatures need interaction, and need Love above all. Love (any kind of Love, parental, romantic, sexual, self love, etc.) is a necessary aspect of our lives. We NEED it to be mentally stable and develop.

If you lack love in your life, your mind will respond in the form of sadness, loneliness, or depression. You would not feel this kind of pain if you did not need the object of this pain.

Suffering is initially a result of not having a need and/or the result of being on the verge of mental/physical destruction.

Suffering then evolves to the form of a result of not having a want and/or the result of being on the verge of mental/physical boredom, when our needs are already met.

Atlantis001
So suffering is associated to need or to want something. Then perhaps the right question would be why do we want things ? Why do we have needs ?

I think we need and want things because we are looking for happiness in those things, and this would mean that suffering is a necessary consequence of wanting and seeking happiness. Maybe we should stop looking for it, but talk is easier than doing it.

Anything is better than to have to live with a limited and conditioned happiness.

Lord Urizen
So suffering is associated to need or to want something. Then perhaps the right question would be why do we want things ? Why do we have needs ?

According to Buddhism, Samsara is the state of birth and rebirth, due to a force called Desire.

Desire is what keeps us stuck in Samsara (life, suffering, and disunity from each other), and away from Nirvana (unity, completion, happiness)

I think we need and want things because we are looking for happiness in those things, and this would mean that suffering is a necessary consequence of wanting and seeking happiness. Maybe we should stop looking for it, but talk is easier than doing it.

Did you read Shakymunison's articles about the Ten Worlds?

It gives great insight for this question.....
Anything is better than to have to live with a limited and conditioned happiness.

That's because happiness achieved for one's self will always be limitted and conditioned.

True Happiness, according to Buddhism, can only be achieved by the relinquishment of self desire, and by aiming to make all others happy and loved.

Atlantis001

LordFear
Great question. It is odd how many people can suffer the same mental or physical abuse, but some are stronger than it and others are not. Example: Some who are sexually abused will do the same to others. Others who are sexually abused will have empathy for others and not do it. So actually I am not sure I can answer that question...

Some are more powerful than others or more resilient in pain and suffering but ultimately pain is pain. Life is unfair and because we all start at different social levels, for some its worse than others

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.