There is only one consciousness for everything.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Atlantis001
I was thinking, conscience is experience... physical sensations, feelings, awareness of your own individuality, etc.

But everything experiences things in the same way, for example, I experience the sensation of being myself in the same way someone else experience that she is herself.

The way people are aware(the consciousness) is the same, the only difference is that while I am aware of being me, the other person experiences the sensation of being another being(herself).

The consciousness is the same, but those two persons are experiencing two different sensations(like pain and hapiness) with the same consciousness.

Suppose that I with MY consciousness for some reason experience the sensation of being another person. There will be no difference between my conscious experience of being another, or that person(whose individuality I am experiencing) being herself. Just the experiences matter.

Resuming, just our experiences make us different, but the consciousness is the same. Our individualities are like two diffferent sensations, like pain and hapiness.

debbiejo
Interesting and deep thread.

I believe there is larger consciousness that we are all part of with our individual consciousness. Each one being different yet still apart of each other. I am part of you and you are part of me. We all flow through each other on this level.

Regret
Originally posted by Atlantis001
I was thinking, conscience is experience... physical sensations, feelings, awareness of your own individuality, etc.

But everything experiences things in the same way, for example, I experience the sensation of being myself in the same way someone else experience that she is herself.

The way people are aware(the consciousness) is the same, the only difference is that while I am aware of being me, the other person experiences the sensation of being another being(herself).

The consciousness is the same, but those two persons are experiencing two different sensations(like pain and hapiness) with the same consciousness.

Suppose that I with MY consciousness for some reason experience the sensation of being another person. There will be no difference between my conscious experience of being another, or that person(whose individuality I am experiencing) being herself. Just the experiences matter.

Resuming, just our experiences make us different, but the consciousness is the same. Our individualities are like two diffferent sensations, like pain and hapiness.

You are assuming that others experience "being" in the same manner. This has no support. I see, do I experience seeing in the same manner as everyone else? No, I am colorblind, I definitely do not experience sight as others do. Do people that are not colorblind experience blue in the same manner as others that are not colorblind? Not necessarily, but whatever they experience blue as has been labeled blue, and their experience of blue is consistent, and objects that are "blue" are labeled blue by everyone the same, this does not imply that the experience is the same.

I do not believe that everyone experiences anything the same as everyone else. I believe that in our communications we label things, and due to the labels we can communicate about events that may have similar external stimulus, but the internal experience may be nothing alike between individuals.

It is an error to assume that people experience things in the same manner, such is probably not the case. There exist plenty of examples of difference in experience given various states. Some people enjoy pain, is it really pain for them? Some people like myself are colorblind, do we really experience the same thing? Some people are serial killers, do we necessarily experience a sense of being in the same manner? Some people have mental disorders, do they experience being in the same manner as everyone else? I believe that no, we do not necessarily experience anything the same as any other individual, including the sense of being.

Upon inception, our cells begin diverging from everyone else, no two brains are alike. There is no reason to believe that experiences would be alike, only described similarly.

Atlantis001

FoxMeister
Consciousness is the path to is the path to learning. By being aware of yourself you can be aware of things around yourself, without consciousness we victims of our own minds. i made that up.

Regret

Atlantis001
Originally posted by Regret
The only manner of discussing this subject is with the labels. Communication is dependant on the labels. There is absolutely no manner in which we can tell whether the experience is the same, the communication and the labels that individuals give the experience may be the same, but they are labeling what they are experiencing given common language. I do not believe two colorblind people necessarily see the same thing. I believe that what you experience, and then label as blue, is consistently the same experience for you. When another experiences the same external stimulus labeled blue the experience may not in any way be similar to your experience. His experience is consistent for him as well, and you and he label the same external stimulus, due to your consistent yet differing experiences "blue". His experience is wholly different from yours yet occurs in response to the exact same stimulus, and both experiences, yours and his, are consistently occurring in response to the same stimulus, you both recognize the stimulus as blue regardless of if the experience is the same. Thus, the experience of being may occur across all individuals, but the experiences are not necessarily in any way similar to each other, and may not be in response to the same stimulus due to the stimulus being immaterial and beyond objective control. It is overly premature to assume that the impetus stimulus for the sensation/perception of "being" being universally the same stimulus.

I am saying regardless of the labeling of the concept of "consciousness" there is no manner of assuming similar experience or even of similar awareness. The entire concept is an abstract that may have no basis in reality if viewed as a universal phenomena that is the same across individuals.

There was an assumption that was made to reach that conclusion of course, but this assumption was nothing extraordinaire and is very commonly used by everyone(even if implicitly) in almost any context, and everything needs a starting point.

What I have assumed is that everyone understand or perceive "being" in a similar way, denying that is like saying that what one perceive as being, another know as dog. In that case no communication between people exist at all. It is like if for you this discussion is about the nature of consciousness while for me it could be a recipe for a chocolate cake. If things are like this then there is no communication of meanings, just a logical matching of labels that happens in a way that is consistent for each individual.

So, I have assumed that experiences are similar to each other in some way, even if labels are different. It is the only way to comunicate meanings. Your point is logically valid, but it only to match labels, it does not take conscious experience into consideration. But you are free to do that, it is just that our premises are different.

Regret
There was an assumption that was made to reach that conclusion of course, but this assumption was nothing extraordinaire and is very commonly used by everyone(even if implicitly) in almost any context, and everything needs a starting point.

What I have assumed is that everyone understand or perceive "being" in a similar way, denying that is like saying that what one perceive as being, another know as dog. In that case no communication between people exist at all. It is like if for you this discussion is about the nature of consciousness while for me it could be a recipe for a chocolate cake. If things are like this then there is no communication of meanings, just a logical matching of labels that happens in a way that is consistent for each individual.

So, I have assumed that experiences are similar to each other in some way, even if labels are different. It is the only way to comunicate meanings. Your point is logically valid, but it only to match labels, it does not take conscious experience into consideration. But you are free to do that, it is just that our premises are different. Yes, I agree that our premises are different, and the discussion is conceptual in nature and is not based in necessary fact and evidence. I merely argue the point because cognitive study, in my opinion as well as my colleagues opinions, is the act of adding fiction to observed behavioral data. It is as valid as religion from a purely scientific perspective. Thus, there is no method of discovering the truth of the matter, it is all guesswork with no valid support for any stance. Since we are understanding this, if I comment further it will be on the possibility, and possible implications, of accuracy in your statements.

leonheartmm
personally i believe that every thing which can think has very VERY different ways of perceiving the same things. so if i went into your head even if we were completely similar in characteristics id be blown away by how incomprehensibly DIFFERENT your BEING is from mine. the same concepts{which only make sense through the virtual communication between two individuals} would be very differnet.

ill try to explain with a simple example

to ME in my mind

fur is to a rabbit as gloves are to a man

in your mind however when i think of it i might think

a circumference is to the middle as the earth is to blue jade crystals.

{i know its wierd to understand}

the thing is that both the content and CONTEXT of each brain i believe is very different from another. the only COMMON thing we have is the physical reactions produced which is why we can RELATE to things.

in your mind bunnies could be thought of in a way as to seem 1 dimensional points to my mind and your context of fur would be the same sensation or visualisation as me thinking of a circumference. this is very simplistic ofcourse but the best i can explain here.

Charmed_Phoebe
Originally posted by debbiejo
Interesting and deep thread.

I believe there is larger consciousness that we are all part of with our individual consciousness. Each one being different yet still apart of each other. I am part of you and you are part of me. We all flow through each other on this level.

flowing through each other? roll eyes (sarcastic) nah I disagree with that completely sorry debbie!

Mindship
I once said to a friend (while having a meaningful discussion), that the only difference between me and him was that I was me and he was him. Other than that, we were the same. I couldn't explain it any more than that w/o evaporating the feeling which prompted me to say that. My friend understood.

Some say everything and the All are nothing but levels of consciousness. In that vein, there is only one spectrum, but with many, many colors, some more alike than others.

Wonderer
I was thinking, conscience is experience... physical sensations, feelings, awareness of your own individuality, etc....

Yes. All is one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.