I'm not trying to diss mainstream rap, but...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardiel13
What's up with the prefixes?! It seems every decade has a different one that almost EVERY rapper/hip-hop guy MUST conform to, lest they be better respected underground rappers. I don't listen to rap at all, but I dislike putting down other people's music and I'm sure some KMCers like these artists, but... what the hell?
In the 80's everyone was MC something (MC Hammer, MC Felix, MC Harvey), then in the 90's it was "lil" (lil John, lil Wayne, lil Kim), and now that's gone out of style, so it's been changed to "Young."
I know people should like music for the music, but if you're gonna make a name for yourself... make it original!! I'm not trying to be one of those non-conformist punks, but this is too much.
My dwindling respect for rap has bumped down a few notches.

Alpha Centauri
It's called hip hop, for one thing.

The only place that real hip hop really exists now is in independent music scenes, save for the odd artist like Method Man, Redman etc.

-AC

Bardiel13
Most of these people delve into both hip-hop and rap, which is why I mentioned both in my little rant.

In Fate's Hands
Originally posted by Bardiel13
What's up with the prefixes?! It seems every decade has a different one that almost EVERY rapper/hip-hop guy MUST conform to, lest they be better respected underground rappers. I don't listen to rap at all, but I dislike putting down other people's music and I'm sure some KMCers like these artists, but... what the hell?
In the 80's everyone was MC something (MC Hammer, MC Felix, MC Harvey), then in the 90's it was "lil" (lil John, lil Wayne, lil Kim), and now that's gone out of style, so it's been changed to "Young."
I know people should like music for the music, but if you're gonna make a name for yourself... make it original!! I'm not trying to be one of those non-conformist punks, but this is too much.

yes i have notice that too but it doesnt bother me

The two main artist I listen today, great stuff

B dot Rob
wtf is wrong with putting Young and Lil before your name?

el_barto
Well

1. It's stupid
and
2. It's annoying.

Blue_Hefner
Some people are leaders and everyone else are followers.

Bardiel13
Originally posted by B dot Rob
wtf is wrong with putting Young and Lil before your name?

It doesn't affect the music, but it makes everyone who does it look like tools. It's repetitive, unorginality to the extreme, and I don't see how it makes someone look "gangsta." I mean, with 1,000 people with the same title, it kinda loses it's "umph."

Alpha Centauri
Most of these people delve into both hip-hop and rap, which is why I mentioned both in my little rant.

There is no "Rap" genre. It's called hip hop.

Rapping is an act, it's not a genre. People "rap" in pop music, that doesn't make it "hip hop" or a magical genre CALLED "rap". It's pop...with rapping.

-AC

Broke Beat
^listen to the man, he speaks truth

It doesn't affect the music, but it makes everyone who does it look like tools. It's repetitive, unorginality to the extreme, and I don't see how it makes someone look "gangsta." I mean, with 1,000 people with the same title, it kinda loses it's "umph." thats just a Stereotype, i could go on for days about weird ass Punk bands names.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Broke Beat
^listen to the man, he speaks truth

thats just a Stereotype, i could go on for days about weird ass Punk bands names.

laughing out loud

Bardiel13
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Rapping is an act, it's not a genre. People "rap" in pop music, that doesn't make it "hip hop" or a magical genre CALLED "rap". It's pop...with rapping.

-AC

Fine. I don't care to argue over a genre neither of us like, again.

thats just a Stereotype, i could go on for days about weird ass Punk bands names.

Of course, not EVERY SINGLE ARTIST IN TEH UNIVERSE uses a prefix, but it is a stereotype growing in popularity.
And as for weird ass Punk band names... yeah, they try too hard, but they're at least original stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Fine. I don't care to argue over a genre neither of us like, again.

I like hip hop, which is why I'm defending it.

-AC

office jesus

-AC

Hip hop is dead to me. It died when they started letting guys like Fifty Cent get record deals. That's when I lost hope for originality. big grin

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by office jesus
Hip hop is dead to me. It died when they started letting guys like Fifty Cent get record deals. That's when I lost hope for originality. big grin

Then you'd better stop listening to music entirely, because for every 50 Cent, there's a Girls Aloud, a Fall Out Boy, a Limp Bizkit, an Evanescence, and so on and so forth.

Alpha Centauri

Funny, because it's comments like this that make me lose hope for music fans.

If what's going on in the mainstream can stop you loving a type of music, then you are either too lazy to seek new music out alone, or you are too stupid in general.

-AC

B dot Rob
What about the times when they let people like the Fat Boys, Kriss Kross, Wreckx-N-Effect, and even the Sugar Hill Gang get record deals?

JacopeX
Hip hop is dead to me. It died when they started letting guys like Fifty Cent get record deals. That's when I lost hope for originality. big grin True. Im annoyed with "BALLIN!". I swear if I hear another low educated ******* yell out "Ballin!" Im gonna flip!

-hh-
Originally posted by JacopeX
True. Im im annyoed with "BALLIN!". I swear if I hear another low educated ******* yell out "Ballin!" Im gonna flip! low educated laughing

ironic

JacopeX
Originally posted by -hh-
low educated laughing

ironic Its mostly them, but still, the song from Jim Jones was alright at first IMO but when others keep on singing it everyday 24/7, youre bringing back were one song comes out and you sing it alot and its stuck in youre head like nothing.

SpaceMonkey
The record deal issue is easy.... ANYONE can get a record deal now-a-days, whether there's talent or not.

As far as prefixes go, there's fads and people follow them, that's just how it is. I personally prefer to hear original names but not everyone has them, so whatever.

I have been reduced to accepting the fact that mainstream music is garbage now... so yes, it's all about seeking out underground stuff in local areas for actual quality music. The problem is that for every decent band out there there are 50 K-Feds and Fall Out Boys.

Ahh, I wish another music renassaince was upon us.

Alpha Centauri
How is that a problem, though? It's not good, sure, but I don't sit there listening to the bands I hate, so to me, it's as though they don't exist.

Naturally you hear about bands, or hear songs and think "That's lame.", and you discuss them etc. I just don't see the point of dooming mainstream music. Mainstream music is just that, mainstream. It doesn't mean there's not good music, it means it's just accessible.

-AC

Bardiel13
How is that a problem, though? It's not good, sure, but I don't sit there listening to the bands I hate, so to me, it's as though they don't exist.

Naturally you hear about bands, or hear songs and think "That's lame.", and you discuss them etc. I just don't see the point of dooming mainstream music. Mainstream music is just that, mainstream. It doesn't mean there's not good music, it means it's just accessible.

-AC

Gasp! Something we agree on! This calls for a really big smiley! tomcat

~Flamboyant~
I honestly don't care, since I don't really listen to mainstream hip hop. It's just a fad I guess.

Bardiel13
Originally posted by ~Flamboyant~
I honestly don't care, since I don't really listen to mainstream hip hop. It's just a fad I guess.

A 20-year fad... WHEN WILL IT DIE?!

SpaceMonkey
OK.... I agree also... not with the fad thing, but with what Alpha said.

Broke Beat
low educated laughing

ironic laughing always takin shots H, always smokin'

-hh-
Originally posted by Broke Beat
laughing always takin shots H, always smokin' smokin' i came to bring the pain

In Fate's Hands
smokin' i came to bring the pain

method man? smile

~Flamboyant~
True. Im annoyed with "BALLIN!". I swear if I hear another low educated ******* yell out "Ballin!" Im gonna flip! http://myspace-526.vo.llnwd.net/01251/62/53/1251093526_l.gif Sorry, couldn't resist.

JacopeX
http://myspace-526.vo.llnwd.net/01251/62/53/1251093526_l.gif Sorry, couldn't resist. Acceptable? erm

In Fate's Hands
http://myspace-526.vo.llnwd.net/01251/62/53/1251093526_l.gif Sorry, couldn't resist.

hah BALLIN!

Broke Beat
i think i like this one better

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7279/baaallliiinnnaa3my9.gif

Phat J
much better smokin'

Arctic

Dude, go ahead and dis mainstream rap all you want, its crap. Literally.

shit

-hh-
Acceptable? erm i use to think u had some kind of problem...

now i know for sure.

JacopeX
i use to think u had some kind of problem...

now i know for sure. What type of "problem" do you mean?

-hh-
What type of "problem" do you mean? i need not explain no expression

Bardiel13
Originally posted by Arctic
Dude, go ahead and dis mainstream rap all you want, its crap. Literally.

shit

I'd rather not knock other people's taste in music. I'm sure some people on KMC like artists that start with MC, lil, or young.

JacopeX
I'd rather not knock other people's taste in music. I'm sure some people on KMC like artists that start with MC, lil, or young. LOL! yea, I used to like mainstream hip hop and commercial but I lsot interest in it since its played too much. Now im into hip hop thats sounds really good such as old school and less mainstream hip hop, but im getting into other genres as well such as Reggaeton, Rock, ect.

dark_drained
Originally posted by el_barto
Well

1. It's stupid
and
2. It's annoying.
i agree not being mean but..
1. u don't understand it
2.it hurts feeling and peoples careers
3.it drives me up the walls especially the "yo" saying
metal is my fave. but don't get me wrong i also listen to rap at one time but now its just gone down the drain!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.