"Moral Fiber"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lyna303
So, I am writing an essay for English about how our state of morality has deteriorated (or not) compared to past generations and I was wondering what was the opinion of fellow KMCers.

Do you think that young people today are less moral than they were in earlier times?

How are they more/ less moral? (specific example)

Who, in your opinion, is to be blamed for this change in morals?

Do you think that values and morals can be determined by each individual for themselves or does a certain moral law have to be taught to everyone?

btw, if any of you are familiar with Charles Sykes's essay "The 'Values' Wasteland" this question relates directly to it.

§P0oONY
I just watched "The Girl Next Door"...

So what is moral fiber? I mean, it's funny. I used to think it was always telling the truth, doing good deeds... You know, basically being a ****ing Boy Scout. But lately I've been seeing it differently. Now I think that moral fiber is about finding that one thing you really care about. That one special thing that means more to you than anything else in the world. And when you find her, you fight for her. You risk it all. You put her in front of everything... Your future, your life... All of it. And maybe the stuff you do to help her isn't so clean. You know what? It doesn't matter. Because in your heart, you know... That the juice is worth the squeeze. That's what moral fiber's all about.

Lyna303
hmm...I interviewed my friend today and she says that this generation hasn't deteriorated, we are just more open about what we do and this openess is percieved by many as immoral

but my when i interviewed a youth pastor, he said that we have definately deteriorated because this generation is much more self-centered...

Lyna303

Mr. Sandman

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
You ****ing *******. You stole my idea right from my brain and posted it first.

I literally watched the film 2 hours ago... How could I possibly not post it... hmm

Alliance
Originally posted by Lyna303
Do you think that young people today are less moral than they were in earlier times?
No. I think people today are more moral.

People today give equal rights to women, othe races, we are more sensitive to personal issues. People have always raped, cheated, pillaged, and tourtured, but now, people just know about more of this stuff. People are more open with themselves and a larger media coverage makes it seem like all this bad stuff has been going on, but it ALWAYS has been going on. If nothing else, we at least are attempting to adress the porblems and openly discussing solutions. Realizing there is a problem is the first step to solving it.

Who, in your opinion, is to be blamed for this change in morals? Morals have gotten better because of philosophers. People like Descartes who realize that morality is a relative issue. People like Thomas Jefferson who write that "all men are created equal, and are endowed by their creator with life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" The Womans Sufferage Movements, the Civil Rights Movement have helped move society forward.

Do you think that values and morals can be determined by each individual for themselves or does a certain moral law have to be taught to everyone?
Morals are relative. Everyone is different and is entitled to thier opinon, so long as it does not infringe upon the opinon of others.

btw, if any of you are familiar with Charles Sykes's essay "The 'Values' Wasteland" this question relates directly to it. Sorry, haven't read it.

Lyna303
This is interesting...

Statistics
Here are some recent findings:

Almost 80% of college students admit to cheating at least once-- The Center for Academic Integrity studies.
36% of undergraduates have admitted to plagiarizing written material-- Psychological Record survey.

90% of students believe that cheaters are either never caught or have never been appropriately disciplined-- US News and World Report poll.

58.3% of high school students let someone else copy their work in 1969, and 97.5% did so in 1989-- The State of Americans: This Generation and the Next.

257 chief student affairs officers across the country believe that colleges and universities have not addressed the cheating problem adequately-- from a study by Ronald M. Aaron and Robert T. Georgia: Administrator Perceptions of Student Academic Dishonesty in Collegiate Institutions.

According to the Gallup Organization, the top two problems facing the country today are: 1) Education and 2) Decline in Ethics (both were ranked over crime, poverty, drugs, taxes, guns, environment, and racism, to name a few)-- Gallup Organization, October 6-9, 2000.

30% of a large sampling of Berkeley students were recently caught plagiarizing directly from the internet-- results of a Turnitin.com test, conducted from April-May 2000.

And although many instructors are aware of the problem, most feel powerless to stop it.

55% of faculty "would not be willing to devote any real effort to documenting suspected incidents of student cheating"-- from a study by Donald L. McCabe: Faculty Responses to Academic Dishonesty: The Influence of Honor Codes.
"With respect to cheating, I'm just in denial. I just don't want to deal with it because I know it is a huge problem."-- San Luis Obispo professor, as reported in Net Learning.

"Who wants to sit around looking for websites trying to find out if a paper is plagiarized or not... pretty soon you're a private investigator."-- a Stanford University professor, from an article in TechWeb News.

" is one of those areas in the academy that no one wants to talk about and is often rewarded for not addressing actively."-- an Associate VP of Student Life, as posted in The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Colloquy."

"Too few universities are willing to back up their professors when they catch students cheating, according to academic observers. The schools are simply not willing to expend the effort required to get to the bottom of cheating cases"-- as stated by The National Center for Policy Analysis.

Lyna303
Originally posted by Alliance
No. I think people today are more moral.

People today give equal rights to women, othe races, we are more sensitive to personal issues. People have always raped, cheated, pillaged, and tourtured, but now, people just know about more of this stuff. People are more open with themselves and a larger media coverage makes it seem like all this bad stuff has been going on, but it ALWAYS has been going on. If nothing else, we at least are attempting to adress the porblems and openly discussing solutions. Realizing there is a problem is the first step to solving it.

Morals have gotten better because of philosophers. People like Descartes who realize that morality is a relative issue. People like Thomas Jefferson who write that "all men are created equal, and are endowed by their creator with life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" The Womans Sufferage Movements, the Civil Rights Movement have helped move society forward.

Morals are relative. Everyone is different and is entitled to thier opinon, so long as it does not infringe upon the opinon of others.

Sorry, haven't read it.
so, like my friend you are saying that people are more aware of the problems that have always existed...right?

Alliance
Yes. Homosexuality has been made public again (but is still not a problem). Murders and rapes are reported and prosecuted. Wars are televized, etc.

Lyna303
i see where you are going with this...in Ancient Rome homosexuality was acually incouraged at a point in a man's life...this fact has existed then and it does now...well done...

Alliance
yup.

Capt_Fantastic
I've got your fiber right here.

Kinneary
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3179263.stm

Bam. There's your answer right there.

Fishy
The world is not less morale now, nor is it more morale. It just has different morales. Morales evolve people evolve.

Lyna303
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I've got your fiber right here.
huh huh?
Originally posted by Kinneary
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3179263.stm

thank you this will be useful for my essay...

Capt_Fantastic
So, I am writing an essay for English about how our state of morality has deteriorated (or not) compared to past generations and I was wondering what was the opinion of fellow KMCers.

Our state of morality has NOT "deteriorated". We just don't keep as much crap a secret as we used to. There's nothing wrong with people knowing everyone else has isues, be it divorce, abuse, gay relatives, running out of sugar....whatever! We just don't keep that shit to ourselves anymore. It isn't a matter of it not happeneing "in the good ole days"...it's a matter of bringing it to light.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Fishy
The world is not less morale now, nor is it more morale. It just has different morales. Morales evolve people evolve.
Originally posted by Kinneary

Lyna303
wow...i have almost finished my essay and i have just realized that it is a piece of crap...

i am rambling on about nothing and when i do say something i am being repetitive...

its due tomorrow...oh well...

xmarksthespot
I'd say your first mistake was gauging the opinion of KMC.

Lyna303
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
I'd say your first mistake was gauging the opinion of KMC.
KMC wasn't my first source, i interviewed 6 other people in real life and did some internet research and then out of curiousity started this thread; its still a piece of crap though...

Capt_Fantastic
KMC wasn't my first source, i interviewed 6 other people in real life and did some internet research and then out of curiousity started this thread; its still a piece of crap though...

In contrast to what xmarks said, I would argue that your first mistake was assuming that "moral fiber" was a tasteless substance that could be measured and spooned into your morning serving of water.

RZA
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
You ****ing *******. You stole my idea right from my brain and posted it first.
laughing

He stole my response too. In all fairness it was pretty obvious. It was only a matter of time before someone responded with that.

RZA
In contrast to what xmarks said, I would argue that your first mistake was assuming that "moral fiber" was a tasteless substance that could be measured and spooned into your morning serving of water.
laughing

Oh c'mon, you honestly don't believe that. I'm sure she's smarter than that...

aren't you Lyna? confused

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by RZA
laughing

Is the truth regular? I don't think so.

Lyna303
my prompt was "do you think that the moral fiber of the youth today has deteriorated compared to earlier times" i really had no choice...i hate essays...

Lyna303
Originally posted by RZA
laughing

i donno...after reading what i wrote im not so sure anymore... confused I think i would be happy with being not smart if it would mean that i didn't have to write anymore essays...

RZA
Is the truth regular? I don't think so.
I know, I'm just playing along as well of course wink

RZA
i donno...after reading what i wrote im not so sure anymore... confused I think i would be happy with being not smart if it would mean that i didn't have to write anymore essays...

Do yourself a favor and watch 'The Girl Next Door'.

You'll learn all there is to know about 'moral fiber' and you'll prob end up enjoying a good movie as well but that would just be a bonus of course.

Lyna303
Originally posted by RZA
Do yourself a favor and watch 'The Girl Next Door'.

You'll learn all there is to know about 'moral fiber' and you'll prob end up enjoying a good movie as well but that would just be a bonus of course.
this essay is due tomorrow...gotdam my chronic prcrastination... mad i doubt i will feel like finishing an essay after i watch it...

Capt_Fantastic
my prompt was "do you think that the moral fiber of the youth today has deteriorated compared to earlier times" i really had no choice...i hate essays...

Actually, it was a fiber joke. But I understand.

And as I said before: There is no difference in the "moral fiber" of todays youth v. the youth of yesterday. We just don't hide teen pregnancy, homosexuality, etc the way we used to hide it. Nor do I think there;s a reason to hide it.

On the flip side of that, I think that todays parents are far too swayed by their children. As my high school principle said: "It's bothersome that the kids of today have as much influence on their family as did the parents of my generation on theirs". Kids today are spoilt, purse munchers who have as much say in their family as their grandparents did in their time. I don't know about a lot of you, but when I disagreed -outloud -publically, I got slappped or spanked. When I pitched a fit, not only did I walk out of the store without the toy, I walked out with a red ass and a face to match. I'm not one to support the social norms of yesterday. But I'm also not one to think that all teh rules should be tossed out with the baby in the bath water.

Lyna303
Actually, it was a fiber joke. But I understand.

And as I said before: There is no difference in the "moral fiber" of todays youth v. the youth of yesterday. We just don't hide teen pregnancy, homosexuality, etc the way we used to hide it. Nor do I think there;s a reason to hide it.

On the flip side of that, I think that todays parents are far too swayed by their children. As my high school principle said: "It's bothersome that the kids of today have as much influence on their family as did the parents of my generation on theirs". Kids today are spoilt, purse munchers who have as much say in their family as their grandparents did in their time. I don't know about a lot of you, but when I disagreed -outloud -publically, I got slappped or spanked. When I pitched a fit, not only did I walk out of the store without the toy, I walked out with a red ass and a face to match. I'm not one to support the social norms of yesterday. But I'm also not one to think that all teh rules should be tossed out with the baby in the bath water.
thanks...i might use something along those lines...but it might be too late to save my horrible essay...

RZA
this essay is due tomorrow...gotdam my chronic prcrastination... mad i doubt i will feel like finishing an essay after i watch it...

In that case you're prob right, besides the only thing I got about 'moral fiber' from watching that movie is that it somehow comes down to whether or not the 'juice is worth the squeeze' confused

On the other hand at this pt you're gonna prob end up getting a bad grade anyway, so you might as well just say screw it and watch a good movie. eek!

Lyna303
Originally posted by RZA
In that case you're prob right, besides the only thing I got about 'moral fiber' from watching that movie is that it somehow comes down to whether or not the 'juice is worth the squeeze' confused

On the other hand at this pt you're gonna prob end up getting a bad grade anyway, so you might as well just say screw it and watch a good movie. eek!
but...but...i have to finish it...its in my blood stick out tongue (lol) whenever i procrastinate i have to finish it, even if it means staying up all night...I am wierd... frikkin a-- i am so frustrated with myself right now...

i am supposed to be finishing it right now, but im talking to you...

RZA
but...but...i have to finish it...its in my blood stick out tongue (lol) whenever i procrastinate i have to finish it, even if it means staying up all night...I am wierd... frikkin a-- i am so frustrated with myself right now...

i am supposed to be finishing it right now, but im talking to you...
laughing In that case get to work missy and stop talking to me nono

stick out tongue No but seriously I know what you mean. I was the same way. I always use to procrastinate till the last minute and then stay up late and finish but it never hurt me. I hope it goes well for you too. Good luck! big grin

Capt_Fantastic
thanks...i might use something along those lines...but it might be too late to save my horrible essay...

Don't use a quote from my principle from high school. It's an essay on todays youth. I doubt it fits.

Lyna303
Don't use a quote from my principle from high school. It's an essay on todays youth. I doubt it fits.
ok then i probably won't use it then...

Lyna303
Originally posted by RZA
laughing In that case get to work missy and stop talking to me nono

stick out tongue No but seriously I know what you mean. I was the same way. I always use to procrastinate till the last minute and then stay up late and finish but it never hurt me. I hope it goes well for you too. Good luck! big grin i am still talking to you...wow...i think i should close this screen now...

RZA
^
Admit it, you can't turn away from me, I'm just too irresistible aint I?

or

maybe posting on a message board is a lot more fun than doing homework embarrasment

Nah, i think it's the first one all the way...Yey!!! clap

Lyna303
Originally posted by RZA
^

or

maybe posting on a message board is a lot more fun than doing homework embarrasment

Nah, i think it's the first one all the way...Yey!!! clap
laughing of course...its the first one wink stick out tongue

but i really think i need to finish it now...

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by RZA
^

short naked men with a cigarete in their mouth are hard to resist. or so i've been told.

RZA
Edit.

Damn

That's what I get for being lazy and taking short cuts by not quoting

RZA
laughing of course...its the first one wink stick out tongue

but i really think i need to finish it now...

Well good luck to you then young squire and God speed thumbsup

RZA
short naked men with a cigarete in their mouth are hard to resist. or so i've been told.

I'm sure she would agree. but prob not embarrasment

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by RZA
I'm sure she would agree. but prob not embarrasment

by the way, is that hair or a helmet in your sig?

Strangelove

Who, in your opinion, is to be blamed for this change in morals?

btw, if any of you are familiar with Charles Sykes's essay "The 'Values' Wasteland" this question relates directly to it. Originally posted by Strangelove
1. considerably less moral
2. values of old like courtesy, romance, and integrity are lost on most kids these days
3. black people
4. although I feel that everyone should have a certain sense of honor, applying the same moral law to everyone is a very bad idea.

Lyna303
I am done w00t...and its still a piece of shit...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.