How Fast is Thor?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soujaboy
Well I'm here to clear up some things about Thor's speed.

Well I was looking back at some past comics and I've discovered some things about Thor's speed.

In Journey into the Mystery number 110 where Thor runs so fast as to be invisible to the human eye. In order for one to be invisible to the human eye they must be running faster than the speed of light.

An impressive, but lesser feat is in Journey into the Mystery 112 where Thor runs the entire length of New York in a "heartbeat", and in Thor V2 Thor fights Thialfi at super speeds.

What you think?

Accel
He's as swift as lightning, or so I've heard.

chris_64256
reading Still about 10 notches below supes devil

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Soujaboy
In Journey into the Mystery number 110 where Thor runs so fast as to be invisible to the human eye. In order for one to be invisible to the human eye they must be running faster than the speed of light.

Actually speed of sound, Aurora has done that. However, it maybe different depending on the context how it was portrayed

long pig
He's slower than Spiderman. He's said so himself. He's got superhuman reflexes and speed, but below someone like quicksilver and others.

Soujaboy
Originally posted by long pig
He's slower than Spiderman. He's said so himself. He's got superhuman reflexes and speed, but below someone like quicksilver and others.

He may have said that, but his feats say otherwise. wink

long pig
They really don't. I would know, I've read close to 500 issues of Thor. He has very, very minor superhuman speed/reflexes.

Unless you mean how fast his hammer pulls him, which can be 100x lightspeed.

roughrider
His speed has been potrayed a bit inconsistently.
Flying, he can get anywhere as fast as he needs to, and can teleport dimensions. On the ground, it's debatable.
Part of it is speed isn't a heavily used part of his power. He doesn't depend on it to accomplish a goal. He's a warrior who would rather hammer his way through an object or opponent, rather than use speed for victory.

long pig
Originally posted by roughrider
His speed has been potrayed a bit inconsistently.
Flying, he can get anywhere as fast as he needs to, and can teleport dimensions. On the ground, it's debatable.
Part of it is speed isn't a heavily used part of his power. He doesn't depend on it to accomplish a goal. He's a warrior who would rather hammer his way through an object or opponent, rather than use speed for victory.
Well said.

I've seen Thor spin his hammer at such high speeds that the molecules around the hammer catch fire, but then, later on, he can't chase down a car on foot. Very inconsistent.

If I HAD to say how fast Thor is I'd say he's somewhere around Spiderman's level in speed. Since Thor is as strong as the Hulk, he can probably run a few hundred miles per hour if he gets a good start.

Badabing
This is the only Thor speed feat I could ever find.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/thorspeed014aw.jpg

long pig
Originally posted by Badabing
Thor is probably moving a good bit below the speed of sound there.

Badabing
It's hard to tell. I wish he had more speed feats. mad I think there's another where he's dodging lightning somewhere.

Soujaboy
did anyone even read the first post of the thread? sad

Soujaboy
Originally posted by Badabing

I have some scans of some, but I don't feel like going to find them right now.

Soujaboy
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Actually speed of sound, Aurora has done that. However, it maybe different depending on the context how it was portrayed

Lightning moves much faster that the speed of sound yet lightning is still visible to the human eye. In fact while in a vacuum Lightning moves at the speed of light, much faster that sound.

I'm not sure, but aren't some planes and or jets able to move at the speed of sound?

chris_64256
Damn a god with the speed of spiderman beer

Newjak
Thor is probably moving a good bit below the speed of sound there. Its a possibility but think about it first the lava is oing straight down and then in one panel where we see Thor in multiple places at once and all of a sudden there is a ditch right there.

Its hard to really judge it though

Soujaboy
HAS ANYONE BESIDES kING MUNGI READ MY FIRST POST?

roughrider
Here are stats related to speed and reflexes, from a Thor fansite.

Speed: Superhuman (6/10)
( Definition: 6 - Superhuman: peak range: 111-115 miles per hour)

Flight Speed: Unrevealed, probably Escape Velocity (9/12)
( Definition: 9 - Escape Velocity: Mach 32.7: 7 miles per second)

Reflexes: Superhuman (6/7)
( Definition: 6 - Superhuman: virtually instantaneous)

long pig
Spiderman could do the same feat IMO. Thor is simply moving fast enough that he's a hard-to-see blur. Spiderman is said to be much faster than the human eye and he's got feats out the ass that prove it.

Unless we're using metaphors and such like "Faster than lightening" as fact, Thor isn't even super-sonic. It doesn't make him less of a great character, but throughout my Thor collection, his speed feats are nearly nonexistent.

long pig
Here are stats related to speed and reflexes, from a Thor fansite.

Speed: Superhuman (6/10)
( Definition: 6 - Superhuman: peak range: 111-115 miles per hour)

Flight Speed: Unrevealed, probably Escape Velocity (9/12)
( Definition: 9 - Escape Velocity: Mach 32.7: 7 miles per second)

Reflexes: Superhuman (6/7)
( Definition: 6 - Superhuman: virtually instantaneous)
So, basically, Deathstroke would be listed as a 7 along side Surfer's because his reflexes are instantaneous?

roughrider
HAS ANYONE BESIDES kING MUNGI READ MY FIRST POST?

Yes, I read it. Like I said, his speed has been portrayed inconsistently.

His durability has been as well - that bothers me more.

roughrider
So, basically, Deathstroke would be listed as a 7 along side Surfer's because his reflexes are instantaneous?

Does DC claim instantaneous, or nearly instantaneous for Slade?
To me, his reflexes should be the same level as Wolverine.

long pig
Yes, I read it. Like I said, his speed has been portrayed inconsistently.

His durability has been as well - that bothers me more.
Hah, his durability.

Oh, man. His durability makes me sick. Sometimes I think Cage is more durable.

What's your favorite "crappy" durability feat for Thor?

long pig
Does DC claim instantaneous, or nearly instantaneous for Slade?
To me, his reflexes should be the same level as Wolverine.
They claim instantaneous.

One thing I always thought about Thor was that he was older, but in fact he's only 2000 years old. All Asgardians are 2000 years old.

roughrider
Hah, his durability.

Oh, man. His durability makes me sick. Sometimes I think Cage is more durable.

What's your favorite "crappy" durability feat for Thor?

That he could be killed by a gunshot to the head - thank you Kurt Busiek. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Meanwhile, Hulk can crush him under 30 railroad cars, and he gets up and knocks Hulk flying.

roughrider
They claim instantaneous.

One thing I always thought about Thor was that he was older, but in fact he's only 2000 years old. All Asgardians are 2000 years old.

For all the narrow eyes we give to Marvel stats, DC stats can be even more full of s**t.

long pig
D.C refuse to make handbooks altogether for some reason. I see it as lack of commitment and good writing.

Soujaboy

long pig

Ethereal
I think the invisible to the human eye thing depends to do with the wavelengths and frequency of light. It doesnt have jack to do with speed really. Its the VIBRATION we cant see. We can see yellow light pass for instance if we could see the spanning distance. The human eye can see something moving, we just cant make out what it is. We cant see any form of light above ultraviolet, or below infrared (heat). Just like we cant hear certain sounds dogs and elephants can hear. etc.

chris_64256

long pig
Although all this brings up a point: If you're going faster than light, how do you see? Since light wouldn't be fast enough to enter your eye, wouldn't it make you essentially blind....even if you're just being pulled ftl?

chris_64256
Although all this brings up a point: If you're going faster than light, how do you see? Since light wouldn't be fast enough to enter your eye, wouldn't it make you essentially blind....even if you're just being pulled ftl?

You know honestly thats a great question to me it would have to make you blind for a little bit which makes me thing how the hell the the flash see confused laughing out loud

Soujaboy

long pig
Yeah, but you wouldn't be able to see anything even if it was going only 50% the speed of light. Your mind isn't fast enough to gather and process info on something that fast and it'd simply ignore it like it does a florescent lamp.

20blinks a second is faster than the eye can see.

chris_64256
Ok than smart guy, how fast do they have to be?roll eyes (sarcastic)

An object travelling at ' close to ' the speed of light would be visible although it would be horribly distorted ( like stretching a rubber band..it gets longer and thinner ). Light travels at the speed of light, and you cannot see light. You can see surfaces that get illuminated by the light when it strikes them, but you cannot see the light itself.
So as an object crosses the boundary from sub-lightspeed to lightspeed, it's state would have to transform from matter into energy, effectively converting it into light. And that means you wouldn't see it until it collides with a surface,

So look up the issues, it's not my responsibility tp provide you with scans. However since I have a few, I will.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Soujaboy/Thor%20Scans/lightspeed0015yl.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Soujaboy/Thor%20Scans/lightspeed0021oi.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Soujaboy/Thor%20Scans/lightspeed0034wq.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Soujaboy/Thor%20Scans/lightspeed0050lh.jpg

How is thor swinging Mjolnir constitute a speed feat he is neither running, flying, reflexes or combat speed those scans have no bearing in this discussion. Desperation is a stinky cologne..

And when you make claims wtihout scans I will call you on them Why do other people have to do your scans for you especially when you start a thread on thors speed yet put up no scans basing your claim...

Just qouting stuff like hela once said thor moved at a speed unseen out of a being before or some shit like that its garbage..

Soujaboy
Yeah, but you wouldn't be able to see anything even if it was going only 50% the speed of light. Your mind isn't fast enough to gather and process info on something that fast and it'd simply ignore it like it does a florescent lamp.

20blinks a second is faster than the eye can see.

Thor also isn't a mortal being, he's a god that might help woth the process.

Soujaboy
Originally posted by chris_64256
How is thor swinging Mjolnir constitute a speed feat he is neither running, flying, reflexes or combat speed those scans have no bearing in this discussion. Desperation is a stinky cologne..

And when you make claims wtihout scans I will call you on them Why do other people have to do your scans for you especially when you start a thread on thors speed yet put up no scans basing your claim...

Just qouting stuff like hela once said thor moved at a speed unseen out of a being before or some shit like that its garbage..

So basically references mean nothing to you since you don't have many comics?

chris_64256
I ask again what does that have to do with his reflexes battle speed running speed???

Refrences do but when there scans that back up your claim not that shit>

long pig
Thor also isn't a mortal being, he's a god that might help woth the process.
I meant human eyes weren't fast enough, not Thor's. I do believe Thor's eyes are enhanced enough to see super-speeders.

Soujaboy

I think you may be wrong on this one....

If something were traveling at the speed of light toward or near you,
it would look as if it appeared right next to you, and flew off in both directions at the same time. So you would still be able to see it with the naked eye.

Thus is the reasoning for my conclusion. If your eye cannot perceive something running near or toward you that object must be running faster that light speed. For even if was moving at exactly light speed you would see it as a blur.

long pig
Where did you get the idea that any normal human can see something that moves at the speed of light?

Soujaboy
I ask again what does that have to do with his reflexes battle speed running speed???

Refrences do but when there scans that back up your claim not that shit>

In Journey into the Mystery number 110 where Thor runs so fast as to be invisible to the human eye. Whats part of that reference do you not understand? HE WAS RUNNING SO FAST HE WAS INVISIBLE!

References mean something when you own comics. wink

chris_64256
What the hell are you talking about soujaboy?

So because I called you on your fanboy bullshit your now saying I have no comics how old are 14,15..

Soujaboy
Where did you get the idea that any normal human can see something that moves at the speed of light?

Because humans can see light travel, or so I believe.

Or rather if light was right next to you and it ran to one side of your room and back it would appear as if it was next to you the whole time.

chris_64256
So your scans show that throught Thors enchanted hammer that he uses for teleportation and flinging himself that shows me that he moves at light speed is that what your saying..

Soujaboy
What the hell are you talking about soujaboy?

So because I called you on your fanboy bullshit your now saying I have no comics how old are 14,15..

Your obviously too slow to understand. wink

Basically what I said was that if you had the comics I mentioned you would be able to look back upon them, and we would have no problem. However you don't so you complain about me giving references.

You called me on nothing, all you could do is call me a fanboy instead of forming a counter argument such as Long Pig. You see how he and I are having a civil discussion? it's because instead of screaming fanboy to a post he didn't understand, he asked questions and formed a counter argument. I'm sorry you can't do the same.

And in response to your question, yes I am 15.

Soujaboy
So your scans show that throught Thors enchanted hammer that he uses for teleportation and flinging himself that shows me that he moves at light speed is that what your saying..

Please reform your question, I can't understand your incoherent sentence.

chris_64256
I figured and by the way when people read this thread they will be laughing at you..

You have no argument just 4 scans of him using the hammer to teleport himself and two flinging himself with his hammer but whatever makes you feel better Thor cannont run,reflexes or fly under is own power at lightspeed and thats what I'm saying teleporting himself with Mjlonir is not a speed feat..

long pig
Because humans can see light travel, or so I believe.

Or rather if light was right next to you and it ran to one side of your room and back it would appear as if it was next to you the whole time.
I understand the fact that you DO believe it, but the question was WHY do you believe it? What experiences or book lead you to the conclusion that humans can perceive objects moving faster than light?

Soujaboy
I figured and by the way when people read this thread they will be laughing at you..

You have no argument just 4 scans of him using the hammer to teleport himself and two flinging himself with his hammer but whatever makes you feel better Thor cannont run,reflexes or fly under is own power at lightspeed and thats what I'm saying teleporting himself with Mjlonir is not a speed feat..

Ok they'll be laughing at me because I can form a argument roll eyes (sarcastic)

And I have references, I'm sorry your not able to look them up, because you don't have the comics. Either way, Thor was shown being able to run faster that the naked eye can perceive, hence the reason me and Long Pig were debating.

Soujaboy
I understand the fact that you DO believe it, but the question was WHY do you believe it? What experiences or book lead you to the conclusion that humans can perceive objects moving faster than light?

I may be wrong, and thats why I'm somewhat asking or waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

I don't think the human eye can perceive things moving faster than light, but things moving at the speed of light. Prime example is lightning, you can see lightning which is supposed to move exactly at the speed of light.

chris_64256
Ok they'll be laughing at me because I can form a argument roll eyes (sarcastic)

And I have references, I'm sorry your not able to look them up, because you don't have the comics. Either way, Thor was shown being able to run faster that the naked eye can perceive, hence the reason me and Long Pig were debating.

wink Thanks for proving my point your a joke kid roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nobody has any Idea what you are talking aobut..

long pig
Studies show that a human sized object will vanish from the human eye when it reaches 500-700mph.

Soujaboy
wink Thanks for proving my point your a joke kid roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nobody has any Idea what you are talking aobut..

If Nobody can understand what I'm talking about, How are Long Pig and I debating? confused

long pig
I may be wrong, and thats why I'm somewhat asking or waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

I don't think the human eye can perceive things moving faster than light, but things moving at the speed of light. Prime example is lightning, you can see lightning which is supposed to move exactly at the speed of light.
Lightening travels at the speed of light, yes. But it doesn't leave at that speed, it hangs around a good 10th of a second after it strikes.

Now, you can see it after it strikes, but you're unable to see it travel...say down a poll, it goes from one end to the other as close to instantaneously as possible.

Soujaboy
Studies show that a human sized object will vanish from the human eye when it reaches 500-700mph.

What's human sized that moves that fast?

I may be wrong, but according to my own logic, you should still be able to see something moving exactly at light speed (assuming the object is big enough to see with naked eye). In theory, all lights we see reflecting through an object (thus creating image of the object) are the lights of the past. How long in the past? very recent. Although light travels very fast and considered the fastest thing, it still need time to travel. For example, the light of the sun we see in the morning is actually the light of the sun 8 minutes before hand. So although it travels very fast, it still need time to reach its destination, in this case, our eyes. And yes, the object would seem like it were stretched. An example of this is when USS Enterprise from Star Trek accelerate, we see it stretched. When this object's coming straight at you, you wouldn't see it at all, because the light that reflects from the object arrive at you the same time as the object.

Now lets say something was moving at warp speed, I believe the human eye wouldn't be able to trace it.

Metalmanx
I think it's fairly obvious that Thor's speed is vastly superhuman. But yes, it does vary depending on what he's doing.

Running speed, I'd put him below Classic Quicksilver, which still means he can probably reach a few machs in speed. But honestly, it's not like he needs to run fast on foot.

Flying speed (via hammer throw) I've heard to reached light-speeds, as well as his ability to teleport.

Reaction speed is well into the upper-level superhuman category, up there with Surfer and the such.

Soujaboy
bump

Mindship
Maybe the real question is: not how fast Thor can move (considering how inconsistently he is portrayed in that regard), but rather, how long can he maintain a certain level of speed, being that his speed feats are very far and few between (this could be asked of Superman as well).

batdude123

Superman did that before, too. In front of an office full of people. smile

Validus
Invisible to the human eye isn't that fast, at least not if you're trying to big up someone as a sort of super speedster. Supes did that in the S/B annual and claimed he was doing Mach 3 IIRC.

batdude123
Originally posted by Validus
Invisible to the human eye isn't that fast, at least not if you're trying to big up someone as a sort of super speedster. Supes did that in the S/B annual and claimed he was doing Mach 3 IIRC.

And right here as well.

It's really not that big of a deal.

King_Mungi

Ding, as I mentioned on pg.1. Wolverine has even moved faster than the human eye could see, I don't really agree with it but I have seen a few incidents of that happening.

Another example as I mentioned Aurora for a period could only go mach 1 and she was faster than the human eye could see.

batdude123
Ok than smart guy, how fast do they have to be?roll eyes (sarcastic)

An object travelling at ' close to ' the speed of light would be visible although it would be horribly distorted ( like stretching a rubber band..it gets longer and thinner ). Light travels at the speed of light, and you cannot see light. You can see surfaces that get illuminated by the light when it strikes them, but you cannot see the light itself.
So as an object crosses the boundary from sub-lightspeed to lightspeed, it's state would have to transform from matter into energy, effectively converting it into light. And that means you wouldn't see it until it collides with a surface,

So look up the issues, it's not my responsibility tp provide you with scans. However since I have a few, I will.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Soujaboy/Thor%20Scans/lightspeed0015yl.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Soujaboy/Thor%20Scans/lightspeed0021oi.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Soujaboy/Thor%20Scans/lightspeed0034wq.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Soujaboy/Thor%20Scans/lightspeed0050lh.jpg

I can't see a bullet after it's been fired from a gun. Can you?

batdude123

I'm laughing at you, because this thread is inane and was obviously not well thought out.

batdude123
Lightening travels at the speed of light, yes. But it doesn't leave at that speed, it hangs around a good 10th of a second after it strikes.

Now, you can see it after it strikes, but you're unable to see it travel...say down a poll, it goes from one end to the other as close to instantaneously as possible.

At best, lightning travels 1/2 the speed of light. Lightning is not light, it's electricity.

manjaro
i think perhaps you are all over thinking this..i do give credence to the whole"faster than the human eye" thing cuz those F-117's that cruise at mach 1 point somthing, and can kick up to mach 2 and change with the after burners, they move so far ahead of thier sonic booms that by the time you hear it coming from one direction the jet would be miles away in another, of course if you had your eyes trained on its exact location you might be able to see it.

but take into consideration that whenever we see objects travel at high speeds, we only see the gradual acceleration..even if it ends up going at incredible speeds, like when we see the space shuttle launching on TV, the ppl who are there in person and the camera guy is capable of following cuz of the gradual acceleration and the eyes are able to adjust,even tho it is headin towards 18,000 mph but i do believe that if a standing object (i.e super speedster) goes from 0-mach speeds instantaneously it would be faster than our eyes could follow, the most appropriate example is the bullet from a gun..... thats what these guys normally do, they dont build up speed they just stake off, now as for ppl like slade, wolverine and blade they seem to have an organic "f **** if i know" mechanism that makes them move that fastbig grin only the writers know how that is possible

snoopdogg
Originally posted by Validus
Invisible to the human eye isn't that fast, at least not if you're trying to big up someone as a sort of super speedster. Supes did that in the S/B annual and claimed he was doing Mach 3 IIRC. Actually it was mach 4.

What does IIRC stand for anyways?

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by snoopdogg
What does IIRC stand for anyways?

IIRC it usually stands for "If I recall correctly".

snoopdogg
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
IIRC it usually stands for "If I recall correctly". Ah..that makes sense. Disregard my comment then Validus.

Soujaboy
Originally posted by batdude123
I'm laughing at you, because this thread is inane and was obviously not well thought out.

Than don't post in it

Soujaboy
At best, lightning travels 1/2 the speed of light. Lightning is not light, it's electricity.

The speed of the lightning bolt itself is the speed of the electric current through the air, which is of the same order as light speed, but below it. The current has to be below light speed because the charge carriers are massive. The main stroke travels at about 0.1 c (30 million meters/second or 100 million feet/second) and the peak current lasts for tens of microseconds or so. After the peak, the current typically decays over tens or hundreds of microseconds.
(c=The speed of light in a vacuum)

Badabing
Then why isn't it called electicning then Mr. Smarty? laughing

Mindship
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen99/gen99096.htm

Lightning - the electrical surge - is about 0.5 cee
Lightning - the flash we see from the suddenly superheated air: that travels at cee.

long pig
Of course lightening travels at the speed of light. Electricity travels at lightspeed.

There is no way in hell Thor has lightspeed reactions or even close to Surfer's.

Soujaboy
Of course lightening travels at the speed of light. Electricity travels at lightspeed.

There is no way in hell Thor has lightspeed reactions or even close to Surfer's.

That may be true, but it would contradict the comparisons in Thor's speed made over the years.

long pig
I don't think Thor's speed has ever been compared to Surfer's...or anyone who is in the upper speed category.

Thor has superhuman speed, but no more than spiderman.

Soujaboy
I don't think Thor's speed has ever been compared to Surfer's...or anyone who is in the upper speed category.

Thor has superhuman speed, but no more than spiderman.

No, but it's been compared to lightning.

You don't run the full length of New York in a heartbeat, and only be as fast as Spider Man.

long pig
Ah, so you mean running speed. Sure, Thor or anyone else in his strength class can run someting close to 500mph, it doesn't mean they have the reflexes to guide them while they run. Rhino has superhuman running speed, but no one has ever accused him of having fast reflexes.

Soujaboy
Ah, so you mean running speed. Sure, Thor or anyone else in his strength class can run someting close to 500mph, it doesn't mean they have the reflexes to guide them while they run. Rhino has superhuman running speed, but no one has ever accused him of having fast reflexes.

His reflexes are also superior to Spider-Man's, like I said before he has lightning quick reflexes.

BTW, He runs much faster than 500 mph wink

Brutacus
Iff they say he move's fast as lighting, issn't that just a matter off speech, issn't that used a lot in the English language?
He's fast as lighting?

Soujaboy
Originally posted by Brutacus
Iff they say he move's fast as lighting, issn't that just a matter off speech, issn't that used a lot in the English language?
He's fast as lighting?

No, it's more like this "He's as fast as the very lightning he commands". Considering this has been stated on numerous occasions, and the characters who have stated as much they themselves have superspeed, I think it's safe to assume that their opinion is accurate.

Mindship
Electricity does Not travel at lightspeed...ever. Electricity is the flow of electrons -- particles with mass -- and mass does not move at lightspeed. Ever.

batdude123
The speed of the lightning bolt itself is the speed of the electric current through the air, which is of the same order as light speed, but below it. The current has to be below light speed because the charge carriers are massive. The main stroke travels at about 0.1 c (30 million meters/second or 100 million feet/second) and the peak current lasts for tens of microseconds or so. After the peak, the current typically decays over tens or hundreds of microseconds.
(c=The speed of light in a vacuum)

Lightning isn't light, and it doesn't travel at 186,000 mps.

batdude123
No, it's more like this "He's as fast as the very lightning he commands". Considering this has been stated on numerous occasions, and the characters who have stated as much they themselves have superspeed, I think it's safe to assume that their opinion is accurate.

In other words: hyperbole. roll eyes (sarcastic)

roughrider
Look, Thor has superspeed. He just rarely uses it because it's not a favoured part of his arsenal; he likes to brawl and beat someone down, all the while telling them they should surrender. big grin If someone has scans of him at high running speed, let's see them because I'm not sure how fast he can go. I haven't seen that incident with Thialfi, running through New York.

batdude123
Look, Thor has superspeed. He just rarely uses it because it's not a favoured part of his arsenal; he likes to brawl and beat someone down, all the while telling them they should surrender. big grin If someone has scans of him at high running speed, let's see them because I'm not sure how fast he can go. I haven't seen that incident with Thialfi, running through New York.

We all know Thor has super speed. It's the degree of it that is being questioned.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Mindship
Electricity does Not travel at lightspeed...ever. Electricity is the flow of electrons -- particles with mass -- and mass does not move at lightspeed. Ever.

Indeed.

batdude123
Originally posted by Mindship

Indeed. If it did (in the real world), it would become infinitely massive.

Soujaboy
In other words: hyperbole. roll eyes (sarcastic)

All is good when Supes states lightning to him is slow, but Thor states he's as quick as the very lightning itself, it's hyperbole. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Soujaboy
Indeed. If it did (in the real world), it would become infinitely massive.

As I stated before Lightning just as light cannot move at light speed in the atmosphere of the earth, due to resistance.

batdude123
All is good when Supes states lightning to him is slow, but Thor states he's as quick as the very lightning itself, it's hyperbole. roll eyes (sarcastic)

There's a huge difference between the two. Superman saw lightning and was zipping around the bolts like they were nothing. He was actually DOING the act. Therefore, it's not hyperbole. Not when the character has actually shown the ability.

On the other hand, you only have other people's say so on how Thor is as "swift as the lightning he commands."

Soujaboy
There's a huge difference between the two. Superman saw lightning and was zipping around the bolts like they were nothing. He was actually DOING the act. Therefore, it's not hyperbole. Not when the character has actually shown the ability.

On the other hand, you only have other people's say so on how Thor is as "swift as the lightning he commands."

It's actually the same thing....

Thor blinds Hela with his speed, she's baffled by how fast he is. Thor then states "I'm as fast as the very lightning itself".

Superman doges some lightning bolts, Superman then states "Lightning bolts are slow".

Explain to me the difference

batdude123

Thor blinds Hela with his speed, she's baffled by how fast he is. Thor then states "I'm as fast as the very lightning itself".

Superman doges some lightning bolts, Superman then states "Lightning bolts are slow".

Because one is just a statement with no validity or legitimacy. If he actually somehow proved that he was, then I'd believe you. But just rushing by someone and then claiming he's as fast as lightning? Nah, sorry, that doesn't cut it for me. He could've flown by her at 1/4 of lightning speed, and just used that as a point of reference because he made her look incredibly slow with his speed. It wasn't meant to be a statement of accuracy or literalness, it was just saying that he's a fast SOB.

Superman actually SHOWED that lightning looks slow to him. It's FACT.

There's your difference.

snoopdogg
Thor is fast. But compared to Superman he's a snail.

Accel

Hela was crawling around when she was surprised at his speed. Really, all Thor did was jump around. He couldn't have been moving faster than Spider-Man there.

Soujaboy
Because one is just a statement with no validity or legitimacy. If he actually somehow proved that he was, then I'd believe you. But just rushing by someone and then claiming he's as fast as lightning? Nah, sorry, that doesn't cut it for me. He could've flown by her at 1/4 of lightning speed, and just used that as a point of reference because he made her look incredibly slow with his speed. It wasn't meant to be a statement of accuracy or literalness, it was just saying that he's a fast SOB.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/Soujaboy/Thor%20Scans/ultimate0021la.jpg

However that doesn't look to good to me, so I'll go look in the stack and find something else.

batdude123

However that doesn't look to good to me, so I'll go look in the stack and find something else.

I'm sorry, but what the hell is this supposed to prove? stick out tongue

Soujaboy
I'm sorry, but what the hell is this supposed to prove? stick out tongue

Nothing besides the fact that he can run from lightning. However I believe this lightning in particular takes Thor longer to summon.

batdude123
Nothing besides the fact that he can run from lightning. However I believe this lightning in particular takes Thor longer to summon.

confused

He didn't outrun lightning. He ran from the volcanoe almost collapsing on top of him.

Soujaboy
confused

He didn't outrun lightning. He ran from the volcanoe almost collapsing on top of him.

laughing That lava was a reaction from Thor's attack. Thor summoned a bolt of lightning so powerful that is was followed by a wave of molting lava.

batdude123
laughing That lava was a reaction from Thor's attack. Thor summoned a bolt of lightning so powerful that is was followed by a wave of molting lava.

Yeah, and he outran the lava before it got to him. I have no clue where you got the idea that he outran his own lightning from that scan. confused

Soujaboy
Yeah, and he outran the lava before it got to him. I have no clue where you got the idea that he outran his own lightning from that scan. confused

He attacks, and flees from his own attack.

However as I stated I don't find that impressive.

batdude123
He attacks, and flees from his own attack.

However as I stated I don't find that impressive.

And in the process, he was able to say a few paragraphs before he left. It is not as you claim, Souja. He outran the lava. Not really impressive.... AT ALL. no expression

Soujaboy
And in the process, he was able to say a few paragraphs before he left. It is not as you claim, Souja. He outran the lava. Not really impressive.... AT ALL. no expression

No, Thor told Mangog he woukd use the 'purest' of lightning against him. Being one of Thor's most powerful attacks it endangers his life. Because of this Thor summons the lightning and before it strikes he flee's. As a result of the blast lava spouts out following the fleeing Thor.

Accel
No, Thor didn't start running away until after the bolt struck and the lava started flowing.

Soujaboy
Originally posted by Accel
No, Thor didn't start running away until after the bolt struck and the lava started flowing.

I thought began running as the lightning came down upon Mangog?

batdude123
No, Thor told Mangog he woukd use the 'purest' of lightning against him. Being one of Thor's most powerful attacks it endangers his life. Because of this Thor summons the lightning and before it strikes he flee's. As a result of the blast lava spouts out following the fleeing Thor.

Get off Thor's sack for one second and look at the scan from an unbiased point of view. He used lightning to make the volcano erupt on top of Mangog. Once the lava buried him, Thor fled away.

He didn't even come close to outrunning his own lightning.

snoopdogg
Even if Thor is as fast as lightning(which he is not) he would still be moving in slow motion to Superman.

King_Mungi
Originally posted by snoopdogg
Even if Thor is as fast as lightning(which he is not) he would still be moving in slow motion to Superman.

Pretty much, Supes has shown to go multiple times the speed of light

ExodusCloak
Lightning doesn't move at the speed of light anyway....it's far slower....like 50% slower....

roughrider
Pretty much, Supes has shown to go multiple times the speed of light

I don't know about multiples; isn't he just nearly the speed of light?

He once admitted to Kyle that him going faster than light wasn't true - just the result of inflated rep.

King_Mungi
I don't know about multiples; isn't he just nearly the speed of light?

He once admitted to Kyle that him going faster than light wasn't true - just the result of inflated rep.

Nope, he traveled speeds faster than light when he found out Lex became President. He traveled to Jupiter's moon I believe, anyways that scan can be found in how fast is superman thread or something to that degree in the comic boom fourm.

batdude123
Nope, he traveled speeds faster than light when he found out Lex became President. He traveled to Jupiter's moon I believe, anyways that scan can be found in how fast is superman thread or something to that degree in the comic boom fourm.

It was Saturn's actually.

And yes, Superman smokes light speed.

King_Mungi
Sorry just going off by memory.

snoopdogg
And then theres the fight in WW #219. Where he flies to the Sun kicks some @ss then comes back in LESS than two minutes.

long pig
Lightening doesn't move at the speed of light? My bad. I saw it as light and would think it'd move at the speed of.

Either way, wayyyyyyyyyyyy faster than Thor. Superman doesn't have lightspeed reflexes either to my knowledge.

long pig
It was Saturn's actually.

And yes, Superman smokes light speed.
So do 99% of people who travel in space. Dr.Strange goes infinitely beyond lightspeed with his instantaneous transmission, but that doesn't mean his reflexes are that.

Mindship
Supes has shown to go multiple times the speed of light
Yeah, but how? No explanation is ever offered, no warp, no hyperspace. I mean, if you're gonna screw around with the laws of physics, at least give some doubletalk, comicological explanation.

How, man! How? I must know!!

hawkeye111
shc has this thread too.

http://herochat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=122475&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

batdude123
Superman doesn't have lightspeed reflexes either to my knowledge.

Sure he does.

Accel
Supes doesn't have FTL reflexes either, but he does come a lot closer to that than Thor does.

batdude123
Supes doesn't have FTL reflexes either

Sure he does.

Accel
He really doesn't. He just has the ability to go into FTL flight speeds really fast.

But if this is going to turn into a "yeah-huh"-"nuh-uh" argument, let me know.

batdude123
He really doesn't. He just has the ability to go into FTL flight speeds really fast.

I'm talking about his reflexes, and they are.

But if this is going to turn into a "yeah-huh"-"nuh-uh" argument, let me know.

It probably will.

Accel
I've debated this with someone a while ago. I've seen Supes display really, really fast reflexes, but nothing to indicate FTL.

roughrider
For flight speed, I would say Superman is faster than Thor, certainly. And faster running on the ground. Thor's great speed feat in covering distances is using mjolnir to teleport himself - it's why he gets a perfect 7 in speed in the latest Marvel Universe stats. And his reflexes fighting in close h2h, are as fast as anyone's.

long pig
Sure he does.
He really, really, realllllly doesn't. Not faster than light or at lightspeed reflexes that I know of.

I've seen him fly while talking about flying at lightspeed being used as proof that he has LS reflexes, but it doesn't prove too much.

batdude123
He really, really, realllllly doesn't. Not faster than light or at lightspeed reflexes that I know of.

I've seen him fly while talking about flying at lightspeed being used as proof that he has LS reflexes, but it doesn't prove too much.

Yeah he does.

Accel
You're going to have to be more convincing than that. At least Soujaboy tried to put some reasoning behind his arguments.

batdude123
You're going to have to be more convincing than that. At least Soujaboy tried to put some reasoning behind his arguments.

What the hell do you call fighting Wonder Woman from the earth to the sun and back in under two minutes?

Accel
What the hell do you call fighting Wonder Woman from the earth to the sun and back in under two minutes?
Flight speed. Flying to the sun and flying back to Earth. Not the same as reflex/combat speed.

batdude123
Flight speed. Flying to the sun and flying back to Earth. Not the same as reflex/combat speed.

He was fighting her the entire time. eer

Accel
He was fighting her the entire time. eer
He spped-blitzed her and flew her to the Sun. No punches were thrown until they reached the Sun where he just punched her once and sent her back to Earth. Again, nothing to indicate FTL reflexes, just FTL flight speed.

batdude123
He spped-blitzed her and flew her to the Sun. No punches were thrown until they reached the Sun where he just punched her once and sent her back to Earth. Again, nothing to indicate FTL reflexes, just FTL flight speed.

Bah!!! Correct.

But that was one mighty pimp smack. smokin'

Anyway, I still maintain my position. If he didn't have light speed, or faster than light speed reflexes, he couldn't be able to perceive lightning as moving in "slow motion."

long pig
Where does this "lightening moves in slow motion" that Superman supposedly said come from?

Are you sure it wasn't:
Magical lightening i.e Captain Marvel (his lightening has a history of being slow enough to dodge)

or

Some blast from a badguy. In comics, blasts are far, far slower than true blasts. Take electro, his bolts have been dodged all the time but his powers are near lightspeed.

It's just something fishy about Superman ever saying nature lightening moves slow to him.

ExodusCloak
Where does this "lightening moves in slow motion" that Superman supposedly said come from?

Are you sure it wasn't:
Magical lightening i.e Captain Marvel (his lightening has a history of being slow enough to dodge)

or

Some blast from a badguy. In comics, blasts are far, far slower than true blasts. Take electro, his bolts have been dodged all the time but his powers are near lightspeed.

It's just something fishy about Superman ever saying nature lightening moves slow to him.

I think it's this scan...

http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=supermanvol2039p20jv9.jpg

But does it matter? Since lightning does not travel at the speed of light....

http://van.physics.uiuc.edu/qa/listing.php?id=533
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00189.htm
http://wsx.lanl.gov/Publications/lightning_bolt.html

batdude123
I think it's this scan...

http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=supermanvol2039p20jv9.jpg

Yep, that's the one. yes

But does it matter? Since lightning does not travel at the speed of light....

http://van.physics.uiuc.edu/qa/listing.php?id=533
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00189.htm
http://wsx.lanl.gov/Publications/lightning_bolt.html

So? If you have slower than light speed reflexes (as lp and Accel are saying), you wouldn't be able to see ANYTHING going at 1/2 light speed to be travelling in "slow motion."

ExodusCloak
So? If you have slower than light speed reflexes (as lp and Accel are saying), you wouldn't be able to see ANYTHING going at 1/2 light speed to be travelling in "slow motion."

Yeah that thought did cross my mind...and I see your point.. stick out tongue

His reflexes are definitely greater then 1/2 the Speed of Light...

batdude123
Yeah that thought did cross my mind...and I see your point.. stick out tongue

His reflexes are definitely greater then 1/2 the Speed of Light...

wink

Accel
Sure, I believe he has greater than 1/2 lightspeed reflexes, just not FTL reflexes.

Him saying he sees lightning in slow motion sounds as vague as Thor saying he's as swift as the lightning he commands.

batdude123
Sure, I believe he has greater than 1/2 lightspeed reflexes, just not FTL reflexes.

Him saying he sees lightning in slow motion sounds as vague as Thor saying he's as swift as the lightning he commands.

What's vague about it?

He dodged lightning as if it were just that: in slow motion. If you're reflexes were slower than light speed, good luck trying to do that.

You're reaching now.

Accel
He didn't dodge it. It struck the thing on his back, just it would to any rod sticking up. Nothing amazing abut lightning striking a metal rod that's high in the sky.

batdude123
He didn't dodge it. It struck the thing on his back, just it would to any rod sticking up. Nothing amazing abut lightning striking a metal rod that's high in the sky.

He had to time the strike just perfectly. He used his reflexes that apparently make lightning look like it travels in slow motion in order to do so. He wasn't just travelling up there half-assed.

Accel
Timing isn't necessary to have lightning strike a rod. All he had to do was fly up where the storm was.

batdude123
Timing isn't necessary to have lightning strike a rod. All he had to do was fly up where the storm was.

You have to look at it in context. He had to have lightning strike at the perfect moment. It had something to do with saving that little boy, I believe. Moreover, he used his "lightning is slow motion to me" reflexes in order to accomplish it. smile

Accel
And this all goes just back to it being really vague, almost as vague as Thor's "swift as lightning" comment.

batdude123
And this all goes just back to it being really vague, almost as vague as Thor's "swift as lightning" comment.

No, there's quite a bit of a difference.

Superman couldn't have accomplished what he did if it wasn't as he claimed. There's actual proof there... context. Without seeing the lightning in slow motion, he never would've timed it perfectly.

Thor just rushed by some chick and proclaimed that he's as fast as the lightning he commands. No proof, no context, no basis for comparison. NOTHING.

Also, why do you believe Superman would lie to himself?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>