Prayer Requests

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PRAYERRUN
This is a place to place prayer requests. I have known prayer to be very powerful when praying through Jesus. 2 or more people praying is even more powerful.:d

Storm
I see prayer as a personal moment between man and God.

ThePittman
Why would you want to post your payer in a public forum?

Shakyamunison
My prayer request is that people find their way out of the illusion that God is out side of us.

Bardock42
Can I place a request without believing in God or praying myself?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bardock42
Can I place a request without believing in God or praying myself?

Go for it. Praying is a much older idea then Christianity.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Okay...you take things too literal. Anyway,s go read Stranger in a Strange Land...you'd like it I'm sure. it's good.

Shakyamunison
Okay...you take things too literal. Anyway,s go read Stranger in a Strange Land...you'd like it I'm sure. it's good.

Is that your prayer request? confused

Bardock42
Is that your prayer request? confused

Sure thing. I want you to pray for me and the way I want you to pray for me is by reading "Stranger in a Strange Land" ...go ahead...pray for me.

Shakyamunison
Sure thing. I want you to pray for me and the way I want you to pray for me is by reading "Stranger in a Strange Land" ...go ahead...pray for me.

I read that a long time ago. So I have been praying for you for many years now. laughing

Bardock42
I read that a long time ago. So I have been praying for you for many years now. laughing

That is good. I like it. It has a lot of ..you are God..we are all one ....and such in it.

DigiMark007

Meh. I'm sure he would too...it's a decent book. Heinlein's theories on religion are highly derivative of religious practices that are much more fleshed out in real life religions, so it's not exactly revolutionary material. But he presents in an interesting manner, and considering that the majority of his audience is probably orthodox christian, his way of looking at things is certainly a change of pace.

I got it handed to me too years ago by a new-age religious friend who thought it was his new Bible. It can certainly be a profound read, but getting religious philosophies from fiction writers is still a tenuous position to be in, at best.

Bardock42
I quite liked it. For the ideas as well as for the general story ...he is a rather good Author in my opinion. I wouldn't take it as Bible, although the ideas he portrays are certainly as probable as the Bible. Many ofhis other theories portrayed in this book are very likable and reasonable though. That it has fantasy elements to it was for me not even the major part.

ThePittman
I pray that God well send me an email saying "Dude, I'm real" stick out tongue

sithsaber408
Originally posted by PRAYERRUN
This is a place to place prayer requests. I have known prayer to be very powerful when praying through Jesus. 2 or more people praying is even more powerful.:d

Amen. We should all be praying.

For our country, for our elected officials, for a victory for values in the coming elections, and obiviously for all of the people who post at KMC that don't believe in Jesus.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by sithsaber408

For our country, for our elected officials, for a victory for values in the coming elections, and obiviously for all of the people who post at KMC that don't believe in Jesus.

Believe in Jesus or believe in Christianity? There is a difference.

Lord Urizen

That's very considerate of you, but you do know your prayers wont make a difference for those who do not beleive in your religion, right ?

You can pray all you want for Athiests/Agnostics/Buddhists/Liberals/Gays...whoever...to see things you way, but that will never happen.

All you can pray for is who obtains more power....

sithsaber408
Believe in Jesus or believe in Christianity? There is a difference.

Jesus.

I could care less about a religion.

What I have is a relationship with the very real God and his son who died for me.

The Holy Spirit resides within me, giving me wisdom and strength and a connection with God.

That's what's important, and I guess you would call those things Christianity, but my focus is on praying for folks to have a relationship with God.

Shakyamunison
Jesus.

What I have is a relationship with the very real God and his son who died for me.

The Holy Spirit resides within me, giving me wisdom and strength and a connection with God.

That's what's important, and I guess you would call those things Christianity, but my focus is on praying for folks to have a relationship with God.

I am a Buddhist and I believe in the teaching of Jesus. Does that count?

Lord Urizen
Jesus.

This sounds extremely noble...

But you cannot blame people for not beleiving. Sadly, Christianity is not only represented by good people, but also by hateful people. The Bible itself is also filled with contradictions....

Believing in a monotheistic God and in the text that aims to represent him IS NOT EASY....trust me, I've been there. After 18 years of being a Christian, I turned away...sorry, but it is not for me.

If it works for you then GREAT ! I hope you are happy in your religion, and I hope many wondors arise.

But as for me....I don't need it.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
That's very considerate of you, but you do know your prayers wont make a difference for those who do not beleive in your religion, right ?

You can pray all you want for Athiests/Agnostics/Buddhists/Liberals/Gays...whoever...to see things you way, but that will never happen.

All you can pray for is who obtains more power....

All prayers make a difference.

Whether or not a person I pray for believes in God doesn't change what God can do for them.

Also, I'm not praying that they "see things my way", just that they will come to experience God as a very real thing in their lives and that they do it "His Way."Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I am a Buddhist and I believe in the teaching of Jesus. Does that count? Do you believe He was the Son of God?

That when He was crucified on the cross that he payed the penalty for your sins?

Because he also taught that he was the Son of God and that he was here to save mankind.

You can't believe in some of his "teachings" without believing him to be Lord and Saviour.

Lord Urizen

Whether or not a person I pray for believes in God doesn't change what God can do for them.

Also, I'm not praying that they "see things my way", just that they will come to experience God as a very real thing in their lives and that they do it "His Way." Do you believe He was the Son of God?

Sounds great, but how do you know what God's way is ? I have extensive knowledge with the Bible, and I just don't beleive it. It contradicts what I already know to be true, and also contradicts itself.

Yes you can yes

I certainly do....I also beleive he was heavily influenced by Buddha.

Shakyamunison
...Do you believe He was the Son of God?

That when He was crucified on the cross that he payed the penalty for your sins?

Because he also taught that he was the Son of God and that he was here to save mankind.

You can't believe in some of his "teachings" without believing him to be Lord and Saviour.

I believe that we are all the sons and daughters of God.

I don't think the paying the penalty of for sins was part of the teachings of Jesus.

All Buddha are here to save mankind.

What does the term "Lord and Saviour" mean? That is nothing but medieval talk to me.

Lord Urizen
I believe that we are all the sons and daughters of God.

I don't think the paying the penalty of for sins was part of the teachings of Jesus.

All Buddha are here to save mankind.

What does the term "Lord and Saviour" mean? That is nothing but medieval talk to me.

According to the New Testament, Jesus did mention Hell...but he never said it was for non beleivers. He said it was for the cruel hearted.

"Lord and Saviour" is just a term. It only means as much as you allow it to mean. We are all capable of saving ourselves, others, and improving our world.

Alliance

Praying against psychos who think their hateful "values" have a place in public discourse.

Praying against theocracies.

Jim Reaper

And just as futile.

Storm

I don' t think God should be alerted to the needs of people, or begged, coaxed and pleaded with.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Storm
I don' t think God should be alerted to the needs of people, or begged, coaxed and pleaded with.

What is Pray? Is it begging a higher power for something, or is it focusing of the mind, the powers of the mind? I believe that it is the power of the mind even if you think you are asking a higher power.

Storm
Prayer is a personal moment between man and God, an attempt to communicate with your spiritual source either to offer praise, to make a request, confess sins, or simply to express one' s thoughts and emotions.
Focusing of the mind, the powers of the mind is meditation.

sithsaber408
Prayer is a personal moment between man and God, an attempt to communicate with your spiritual source either to offer praise, to make a request, confess sins, or simply to express one' s thoughts and emotions.

Spot on. yesOriginally posted by Storm
I don' t think God should be alerted to the needs of people, or begged, coaxed and pleaded with. The Lord says that you should call upon his name:

"Ask and you shall recieve"

"Ask and I'll give the nations to you."

Shakyamunison

I guess meditation is prayer to me. I chant to find the inner self, the karmic voice, and then I communicate about my deepest desires.

Capt_Fantastic
I'm just going to pull up the bottoms of my pant legs and step over the muddy puddle that this thread could turn into. Especially if I say what I'm thinking.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I'm just going to pull up the bottoms of my pant legs and step over the muddy puddle that this thread could turn into. Especially if I say what I'm thinking.

What? Come on, say it, unless it's about me. laughing

Alliance
Spot on. yes The Lord says that you should call upon his name:

"Ask and you shall recieve"

1. Why does the lord say this? Because the bible says so. Why is the bible the word of god? Because it says so? One big fat juicy circle.

2. Besides, apparently god lied as Christian theocracy does not conrtol the world (thankfully).

sithsaber408
It means for them to be saved, to be in fellowship with God.

All the nations believing in Jesus and going to heaven.

Nobody wants a theocracy Alliance, stop it man. erm

Alliance

"All the nations believing in Jesus"

Sounds an awful like a theocracy to me. Every government with the Bible as its foundation.

How is it not?

sithsaber408
Because it's about souls, not senators.

It means ("ask and I'll give the nations to you"wink that we should pray and we will see the Lord work in other countries to bring people to Christ.

As many as want to come.

That's it.

I have no idea how they would or wouldn't change the governments they live in, but that isn't the point.

The point is for their own personal lives to be better.

smile

Lord Urizen
Because it's about souls, not senators.

It means ("ask and I'll give the nations to you"wink that we should pray and we will see the Lord work in other countries to bring people to Christ.

As many as want to come.

That's it.

I have no idea how they would or wouldn't change the governments they live in, but that isn't the point.

The point is for their own personal lives to be better.

smile

If you want to pray of any of us, that is fine. yes

I have nothing against it. I would rather a Christian pray for me, then try to pass a law limitting my freedom or social standing.

As long as you don't pray, "Please God, turn Lord Urizen straight" lolol then we won't have a problem. Either way, you can pray all you want for that 1, it aint ever gonna happen lol laughing

I just hope you pray for something USEFUL, like :

1) Find the cure for AIDS

2) Help the starving in Africa

3) Stop the animal abuse in China

4) Stop the human rights abuse all over the world

5) Put an end to Poverty once and for all....

Something that would actually MAKE A DIFFERENCE, instead of just praying "Dear Lord Jesus, please give everyone your wisdom so they can become good ol' Christians like me and hold true to conservative values, and please protect good ol' marriage ! YEE HAW ! AMEN !" lLOL

Sorry for the rudeness, but sometimes i find teasing necessary to make a point clear.

sithsaber408
Indeed, many of those things are in my prayers now, and I'll include the animal abuse too.

Don't worry, teasing is fine.

A little off-base with the YEE-HAW!, considering I'm a city boy born in the Bay Area of California, and living just outside of Sacramento now, but fine.

stick out tongue

Oh, and I wouldn't pray that God make you straight, God made you just as you are and wants you just as you are.

I would only pray that you could experience him as a real power in your life, not the bearded figure who shakes his figure at you from the clouds and from an ancient book as many suppose him to be.

Lord Urizen
Indeed, many of those things are in my prayers now, and I'll include the animal abuse too.

I know your prayers have power. All of us as human beings have some sort of power. I just hope your prayers are more powerful than the negativity that many other people will desire.

And I am not talking about other Conservatives either....Liberals and Conservatives alike both come in good and bad.

Don't worry, teasing is fine.

I'm such a tease stick out tongue

A little off-base with the YEE-HAW!, considering I'm a city boy born in the Bay Area of California, and living just outside of Sacramento now, but fine.

I was kidding. I actually love cowboys. I was a cowboy stripper for halloween and I had sex with a cowboy once ! droolio

LOL- sorry bro....i have a fetish for the WEST !

stick out tongue

droolio

Oh, and I wouldn't pray that God make you straight, God made you just as you are and wants you just as you are.

That is probably the first time a Christian or a Conservative has ever told me that....I'm touched tear

I would only pray that you could experience him as a real power in your life, not the bearded figure who shakes his figure at you from the clouds and from an ancient book as many suppose him to be.

I think that's a noble prayer. If God truly does exist, then hopefully I find him (or her)....remember..i used to be Christian....

PRAYERRUN
Originally posted by Lord Urizen

All you can pray for is who obtains more power.... We can pray for ALL people because God is FOR all people. He doesn't just love the ones that already know Him, but he loves EVERYBODY. I can pray for God to help a friend who doesn't know christ to be saved. It doesn't matter if you're a murderer, or what.

JesusIsAlive
We can pray for ALL people because God is FOR all people. He doesn't just love the ones that already know Him, but he loves EVERYBODY. I can pray for God to help a friend who doesn't know christ to be saved. It doesn't matter if you're a murderer, or what.

PrayerRun, you have spoken truthfully.

smile big grin

Jim Reaper
He doesn't just love the ones that already know Him, but he loves EVERYBODY. I can pray for God to help a friend who doesn't know christ to be saved. It doesn't matter if you're a murderer, or what.

He loves you until you're bound for hell for not accepting him as your saviour... Is that how it works? Then you're on your own I guess.

Lord Urizen
We can pray for ALL people because God is FOR all people. He doesn't just love the ones that already know Him, but he loves EVERYBODY. I can pray for God to help a friend who doesn't know christ to be saved. It doesn't matter if you're a murderer, or what.

Does God still love you when you're in Hell ? Does he watch as you burn and burn and burn and suffer for all eternity ?

IT's a contradiction. If God was for everyone, then no one would go to Hell. God doesn't need to utilize a place of eternal torture, yet according to your Bible he does.....it is irrational, illogical, and improbable.

I respect that you beleive it, but don't expect me to....that myth doesn't work for me.

PrayerRun, you have spoken truthfully.

Shut up

Storm
The hands that help are better far than lips that pray.

Alliance
But lips are far better than hands at other things droolio

Lord Urizen
The hands that help are better far than lips that pray.

I agree 100% yes

But lips are far better than hands at other things droolio

drooliodrooliodrooliodroolio

Actually, it's all in the TONGUE ! Jesus sure knows how to work it ! droolio

Wolf_Girl15
My grandma was just diagnosed with cancer for the second time, I want to ask all Christians out there to pray for her, I love my grandma, God got my dad through 3 kinds of cancer, and heart surgery, please please pray for her. Please just post that you will pray for her, and I thank you in advance.

Boris
Praying does nothing.

debbiejo
I am not a Christian, but I do believe there is something and I will pray for her... smile

What is her name.

Wolf_Girl15
I cant say her name, but I call her Nana

chillmeistergen
I'm agnostic, but I hope she gets better, which I suppose is a kind of prayer.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Wolf_Girl15
I cant say her name, but I call her Nana What kind of cancer does she have so that I can be more specific.

Wolf_Girl15
i wasnt told

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Boris
Praying does nothing.

Why did you feel the need to post here?

Healing Artisan
im Christian and im dissapointed that you only reach out to other Christians. just ask everyone to pray for the individual.

my grandmother passed away due to cancer so i understand what you are going through.

make sure the individual is in a positive enviornment, and she has my prayer.

Wolf_Girl15
^^ I always do that, as you can see, may non christians answer. thank you for your prayer

Healing Artisan
what do you mean by "may non christians answer"?

JesusIsAlive
My grandma was just diagnosed with cancer for the second time, I want to ask all Christians out there to pray for her, I love my grandma, God got my dad through 3 kinds of cancer, and heart surgery, please please pray for her. Please just post that you will pray for her, and I thank you in advance.

What does your grandma believe? Does she believe in healing?

debbiejo
I think she means pray also.

Wolf_Girl15
*many nonchristians. Sorry.

Wolf_Girl15
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
What does your grandma believe? Does she believe in healing? Yes. Very much so. So does my mom.....

Symmetric Chaos
I wish your Nana the best that time and fate have to offer her.

What does your grandma believe? Does she believe in healing?

Wait. So despite you high morals there are circumstances where you wouldn't pray for someone's life due to their beliefs?

KingDubya
Though I am not Christian, my figurative prayers go out to your grandmother to wish her happiness and good health and fortune.

Wolf_Girl15
Thank you again

Boris
Originally posted by Grinning Goku
Why did you feel the need to post here?

I didn't feel any need, praying doesn't have any effect whatsoever, it's been proven.

If you want to do something for your grandmother, talk to her, laugh with her, be with her, help her out or just listen to anything she has to say, doing these things will actually do some good for your grandmother.

I've lost lots of my family to cancer so I know what your going through. But believe me, prayer does nothing, it might give YOU hope, but will do nothing to benefit your grandmother.

JesusIsAlive

debbiejo
Lets not turn this into a debate. I believe in miracles, things we don't understand in a different way.

Wolf_Girl15
My father didnt believe, yet God brought him through cancer 3 times, then he brought him through heart surgery, all because I prayed

Bardock42
My father didnt believe, yet God brought him through cancer 3 times, then he brought him through heart surgery, all because I prayed

And a bit of help from modern medicine, I take it?

Wolf_Girl15
He was suposed to die.... the medicine was brand new, it ended his cancer.... and God had to have helped..... His lung colapsed, he had heart problems, open heart surgery

Bardock42
He was suposed to die.... the medicine was brand new, it ended his cancer.... and God had to have helped..... His lung colapsed, he had heart problems, open heart surgery

I don't see how that shows that God had to help. there are a million different eplanations. But, hey, if your Grandma believes in it it might have a positive placebo effect on her. Can be very powerful.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I wish your Nana the best that time and fate have to offer her.

Wait. So despite you high morals there are circumstances where you wouldn't pray for someone's life due to their beliefs?

As I have already explained, unbelief in God's power can prevent God's power from coming to bear in your life to impact and change your circumstances. As anointed as Jesus was to do mighty works by the power of the Holy Spirit, there were some instances where not even Jesus was able to do mighty works for some people because of their unbelief (not His power, their unbelief in His power). For example, God cannot even save you, wash away your sins, and bring you to Heaven if you do not believe that He exists or that He sent Jesus to die for your sins (He will let you go to Hell on the basis of your unbelief in His power to save you). If you do not believe that Jesus is Lord and Savior then no matter how powerful He is, He cannot save you personally. You must exercise faith in Him by repenting of your sins and then ask Him to save you in order for Him to be able to save you personally. This is how God has designed the system to work. Without faith it is impossible to relate to God, get saved/born again, or even receive healing from God.

This is why faith is so vitally important. What you believe or don't believe will determine what you receive from God. This is one reason why some prayers are not answered. That is why I asked Wolf_Girl15 what her grandmother believed. Just like Jesus did not and could not do mighty works in certain areas because of their unbelief (regardless of how anointed He was by the Holy Spirit), my prayer on behalf of her grandmother will be ineffectual based on what she believes or does not believe. In order for my prayer of faith to work for Wolf_Girl15's grandmother she must agree with the Word of God that she is healed by Jesus Christ's stripes because that is what I would pray over her. My faith is based on the Word of God, but her faith must also be based on the Word of God. If my faith is based on the Word of God, but her grandmother's faith is not based on the Word of God then my prayer of faith for her will be in vain (i.e. it will not work for her).

Bardock42
As I have already explained, unbelief in God's power can prevent God's power from coming to bear in your life to impact and change your circumstances. As anointed as Jesus was to do mighty works by the power of the Holy Spirit, there were some instances where not even Jesus was able to do mighty works for some people because of their unbelief (not His power, their unbelief in His power). For example, God cannot even save you, wash away your sins, and bring you to Heaven if you do not believe that He exists or that He sent Jesus to die for your sins (He will let you go to Hell on the basis of your unbelief in His power to save you). If you do not believe that Jesus is Lord and Savior then no matter how powerful He is, He cannot save you personally. You must exercise faith in Him by repenting of your sins and then ask Him to save you in order for Him to be able to save you personally. This is how God has designed the system to work. Without faith it is impossible to relate to God, get saved/born again, or even receive healing from God.

This is why faith is so vitally important. What you believe or don't believe will determine what you receive from God. This is one reason why some prayers are not answered. That is why I asked Wolf_Girl15 what her grandmother believed. Just like Jesus did not and could not do mighty works in certain areas because of their unbelief (regardless of how anointed He was by the Holy Spirit), my prayer on behalf of her grandmother will be ineffectual based on what she believes or does not believe. In order for my prayer of faith to work for Wolf_Girl15's grandmother she must agree with the Word of God that she is healed by Jesus Christ's stripes because that is what I would pray over her. My faith is based on the Word of God, but her faith must also be based on the Word of God. If my faith is based on the Word of God, but her grandmother's faith is not based on the Word of God then my prayer of faith for her will be in vain (i.e. it will not work for her). So you are factually admitting that God is not almighty, right?

xmarksthespot
Praying does nothing. It can offer a placebo effect in some conditions. For a cancer, it likely won't do anything.

Boris
No, not really, from studies and experiments its been shown that praying does nada.

It might make the person praying and the one who is being prayed for feel good, but it would have no effect on medial conditions.

Adam_PoE

xmarksthespot
No, not really, from studies and experiments its been shown that praying does nada.

It might make the person praying and the one who is being prayed for feel good, but it would have no effect on medial conditions. Sorry, to clarify I'm referring to prayer for oneself may have a placebo effect on some minor conditions - but I haven't read any literature to support this, it was just a supposition. Prayer for someone else isn't going to do anything at all in any case.

JesusIsAlive
So you are factually admitting that God is not almighty, right?

Stop reading what is not there. Did I say that God was not Almighty? No, I did not. God is Almighty but God will not override your unbelief. For example, no matter how much God loves you He will not force you to believe in His Son so that you can avoid Hell and go to Heaven to be with Him when you die. God will honor your lack of faith or unbelief and permit you to go to Hell. This does not have any bearing on God's omnipotence, it is a matter of your unbelief in His power to save you. In other words, the ball is in your court, and the problem is on your end not His.

Rogue Jedi
I cant say her name, but I call her Nana *prays for Nana*

Wolf_Girl15
*hugs rogue* will you ask fallen to aswell?

Boris
Like it will make a difference...

Tell me, have you told your grandmother that you're asking people on an Internet forum to pray for her?

inimalist
I didn't feel any need, praying doesn't have any effect whatsoever, it's been proven.

If you want to do something for your grandmother, talk to her, laugh with her, be with her, help her out or just listen to anything she has to say, doing these things will actually do some good for your grandmother.

I've lost lots of my family to cancer so I know what your going through. But believe me, prayer does nothing, it might give YOU hope, but will do nothing to benefit your grandmother.

and this makes you how much better than fred phelps?

Boris
Originally posted by inimalist
and this makes you how much better than fred phelps?

Are you serious? Comparing me to that bigoted, racist, homophobic, evil ****er? Haha.

inimalist
Are you serious? Comparing me to that bigoted, racist, homophobic, evil ****er? Haha.

yes

Boris
Then you're a bit of a retard mate.

inimalist
well, Ive been told, I guess I'll let you get back to mocking someone who is in mourning

Wolf Girl: My grandmother is going through the exact same thing. Please know that all of my sympathies go out to you. Be strong for her smile

Boris
well, Ive been told, I guess I'll let you get back to mocking someone who is in mourning

Eh, no? Where did I mock her? I gave her advice since I've lived through it many times.

I simply stated that praying doesn't do anything as it has been proven. You can do things that will actually help the person rather than wasting your time futilely praying.

JesusIsAlive
Eh, no? Where did I mock her? I gave her advice since I've lived through it many times.

I simply stated that praying doesn't do anything as it has been proven. You can do things that will actually help the person rather than wasting your time futilely praying.

Why do you make statements that you cannot substantiate? You don't even attempt to support what you say. You are perhaps one of the only people on this forum that makes no effort at all to back what you say. It has not been proven that praying does not do anything that is simply your opinion.

Alliance
Why do you make statements that you cannot substantiate? You don't even attempt to support what you say. You are perhaps one of the only people on this forum that makes no effort at all to back what you say. It has not been proven that praying does not do anything that is simply your opinion.

laughing out loud

Boris
You support what you say through bible quotes and bullshit Christian websites, they don't really count... really. In fact when you reference them you lose credibility.

I could post links to studies and experiments on the real power of prayer but if you want to find out about them you can search for them yourself. I recommend Galtons studies, the American Heart Journal and the Templeton foundation's study.

inimalist
You support what you say through bible quotes and bullshit Christian websites, they don't really count... really. In fact when you reference them you lose credibility.

I could post links to studies and experiments on the real power of prayer but if you want to find out about them you can search for them yourself. I recommend Galtons studies, the American Heart Journal and the Templeton foundation's study.

what control do the studies use to show that the lack of effect from prayer is due to the lack of power of prayer rather than God just ignoring those prayers?

Boris
Since when did God ignore prayers?

Jaeh_JediPirate
to wolfgirl:

will pray for your grandma... smile petpet

inimalist
Since when did God ignore prayers?

doesn't matter

God is an impossible variable to control for, thus any study of him must be highly conservative.

The absolute best you can say about prayer is that, at this point, there is no data that supports the idea that prayer can have an effect on the material world, nor is there any evidence of a mechanism by which this would work.

I am happy that you found your belief structure, but now you are talking about science, which you cannot confuse with ardent atheism

Boris
doesn't matter

God is an impossible variable to control for, thus any study of him must be highly conservative.

The absolute best you can say about prayer is that, at this point, there is no data that supports the idea that prayer can have an effect on the material world, nor is there any evidence of a mechanism by which this would work.

I am happy that you found your belief structure, but now you are talking about science, which you cannot confuse with ardent atheism

No, you're incorrect. You're after saying that God can ignore prayer but Christians believe that God will answer all prayers. You've contradicted yourself.

At this point, there is evidence to support the fact that praying for someone will do nothing. It might make a person feel good, but thats about the limit of it's usefulness.

Atheism and science are pretty close, considering that if it was scientifically proven that God did exist I would become a Christan/Muslim/Jew, whatever in an instant.

Gregory
Studies on the medical effects of prayer have not generally shown it to be effective. And if someone thinks that pointing this out makes me or Boris or anyone else "like Fred Phelps," that person is acting like an idiot. inimalist, are you arguing that prayer does have power, it's just that God ignores prayers at a rate that makes it seem like it doesn't? Because that argument ... I'm not sure what to say about that argument, but I love it. It's so ... I don't know.

Here's a question that might seem mean-spirited, but isn't intended to be: Why? Why should people pray for your grandmother? Do you think, even positing a Christian god, that it will help? That is, do you think God is going to say, "Well I was going to ignore this woman who was praying for her grandmother, but now that she's gotten a lot of strangers on the internet to join her, I guess I have no choice but to heal her"? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but I am genuinely curious about your rationale.

Badabing
My grandma was just diagnosed with cancer for the second time, I want to ask all Christians out there to pray for her, I love my grandma, God got my dad through 3 kinds of cancer, and heart surgery, please please pray for her. Please just post that you will pray for her, and I thank you in advance. As a cancer suvivor and a Christian I'll Pray for you and your family.

inimalist
No, you're incorrect. You're after saying that God can ignore prayer but Christians believe that God will answer all prayers. You've contradicted yourself.

At this point, there is evidence to support the fact that praying for someone will do nothing. It might make a person feel good, but thats about the limit of it's usefulness.

lol

ok, so in an experiment, there are normally many possible explanations to questions. When there are other possible explanations, there has to be a control in the experiment that shows that the reason for any effect cannot be explained by anything else. There is no way to make any control about the motivation, action or will of God, therefore there is no reason to control for God. What is very strange (and telling of your knowledge of science) is that you seem to think I am supporting a Christian god, when the statement that something is unfalsifiable, to any credible scientist, if the most telling refutation of a concept. Something that is unfalsifiable is so outside of the realm of science it is just assumed that it cannot exist in a universe that is dictated by real laws.

Also, you cannot prove a negative. There will never be objective evidence that something doesn't work.

oh, and thanks for the psychology lesson wink

BTW: Your interpretation of Christian prayer is flawed. Nobody can believe that all prayers can be answered, and most if not all church leaders will support this. The main reason is that it is demonstrably false (a Christian can pray to instantly be flung 50 feet into the air and it wont happen). A secondary reason would be that, were it necessary that God answered all of the prayers of man, God becomes impotent and basically the servant of man, rather than the other way around.

Atheism and science are pretty close, considering that if it was scientifically proven that God did exist I would become a Christan/Muslim/Jew, whatever in an instant.

wow, thats not arrogant at all

clearly if something were true, I would believe it smile

Science is by definition agnostic. It is impossible to prove a negative.

Look up falsifiability, and understand why it is more damning of God to say that he is unfalsifiable than to say he doesn't exist. Then come talk to me about science, k?

inimalist
Originally posted by Gregory
Studies on the medical effects of prayer have not generally shown it to be effective. And if someone thinks that pointing this out makes me or Boris or anyone else "like Fred Phelps," that person is acting like an idiot. inimalist, are you arguing that prayer does have power, it's just that God ignores prayers at a rate that makes it seem like it doesn't? Because that argument ... I'm not sure what to say about that argument, but I love it. It's so ... I don't know.

no, I don't actually believe in God

however, there are serious methodological errors with all of the studies that study prayer. There are thousands that have been done by Christians that show positive effects that are inadmissible for the same reasons.

The reason it makes you like fred phelps is the absolute inappropriateness of the statement. Do you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY think that someone who believes in God and is going trough an emotionally traumatic experience in their life, reaching out to strangers on a message board, cares that you have a scientific paper that says everything she believes is a lie? Gee, the compassionate atheist.

Healing Artisan
somewhat off topic, but has anyone read any books on Neurotheology?

i recommend this

The Mystical Mind: Probing the Biology of Religious Experience
by: Eugene G. D'Aquili
http://www.upenn.edu/gazette/0300/images/0300.booksmystical.gif

JesusTheChrist

She will not survive my child.

Crimson Phoenix
What the **** is up with this thread. Somone is basically asking for comfort through an extrememly difficult time all you idiots can do is either poke fun, or competely degrading her. You guys make me sick

fini
Wolf_girl15
everyone can pray for your grandmother ( irrespective of religion), since those who believe in god all worship the SAME god ( despite what some may THINK). Even those who dont believe in god, their collective will and strength will help.

Love, prayer, hope, are all universal. Once it comes from your heart then it will work..... even if it helps calm your soul alone.

But just know this, everyone is here for a certain time, and when it is your grandmother's time to go, then you can do nothing but be thankful for the time you had with her. Your father's time had not come even with cancer and heart problems.

Remember that, while we pray to god for well being of our loved ones, we should also remember that God takes back that soul when their time is up..... we may be sad for the loss of a loved one, but be happy for the soul that is no longer in a bodyand world full of pain and misery.

AND JIA, the girl came for some reassurance, NOT FOR you to come bible quoting for her and putting down everyone just cause they are not brainwashed like you.

debbiejo
Nice way to put it fini... smile

ThePittman
My grandma was just diagnosed with cancer for the second time, I want to ask all Christians out there to pray for her, I love my grandma, God got my dad through 3 kinds of cancer, and heart surgery, please please pray for her. Please just post that you will pray for her, and I thank you in advance. While I do not believe in God or prayers, I do believe in the human mind and body and the power that it has to heal it self. If someone believes in something strong enough the body can heal it in many cases, I wish you and your family all the luck and hope she gets better and the skill of the doctors and the knowledge that they have learned through science and head their instruction. Sorry about the last part but I still mean you and your family well.

siriuswriter
This is hardly the thread to debate the effects or lack thereof of praying. Open a debate thread if you want to do that. Honestly... the insensitivity of some of you lot...

Wolf_Girl: I have had a lot of medical troubles of my own, and I have gotten through them safely. My thoughts are with your grandmother. Peace be with you and your family during this difficult time, luv. smile

Gregory
Still, no. Nothing like Phelps. Boris gave good advise: "If you want to do something for your grandmother..." I call that compassionate; just not the type of compassion she was looking for.

For myself, I wasn't even talking to her, except for a question that I acknowledged up front that she might not want to answer, and shouldn't feel pressured to.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix
What the **** is up with this thread. Somone is basically asking for comfort through an extrememly difficult time all you idiots can do is either poke fun, or competely degrading her. You guys make me sick typical of many members here. someone opens up, pours out their soul, and is bashed for it.

My prayers are with her Gran.

Wolf_Girl15
*Sighs* THank you everyone for your prayers.

RJ: Sadly its true, They do it quite often.

Crimson Phoenix
Wolf_Girl15, I really hope your nan gets through this. I'm not a christian, but i'll pray for her as well. Please dont listen to all the idiots who are putting you down. They're really not worth it. smile

JesusTheChrist
What the **** is up with this thread. Somone is basically asking for comfort through an extrememly difficult time all you idiots can do is either poke fun, or competely degrading her. You guys make me sick

What the f*ck do you expect from INTERNET?

debbiejo
lOVE, PEACE AND JOY..... love

Crimson Phoenix
Originally posted by JesusTheChrist
What the f*ck do you expect from INTERNET?

you're right. I'm competely wrong. I should expect complete twats to mess around with someone goin through a difficult time. What was i thinking.

ThePittman
you're right. I'm competely wrong. I should expect complete twats to mess around with someone goin through a difficult time. What was i thinking. Well you also have to remember that some people like to get on here and make up BS stories to get attention and some of us are a bit more jaded than others. wink

Wolf_Girl15
Oh, I wen to the hospital for my TB skin test. My mom works there, so I spent the day there. I was walking around the main floor, and I spoke to a lady who asked me to pray for her daughter, who has been in the hospital for a month, and she has about a month longer in there.

Bardock42
Stop reading what is not there. Did I say that God was not Almighty? No, I did not. God is Almighty but God will not override your unbelief. For example, no matter how much God loves you He will not force you to believe in His Son so that you can avoid Hell and go to Heaven to be with Him when you die. God will honor your lack of faith or unbelief and permit you to go to Hell. This does not have any bearing on God's omnipotence, it is a matter of your unbelief in His power to save you. In other words, the ball is in your court, and the problem is on your end not His. He could save them without destroying their unbelieve of course.

Wolf_Girl15
He could save them without destroying their unbelieve of course. Okay. Take it to PM this is a "Prayor Request" thread, not a "will God Answer this Prayor" thread.

Bardock42
Okay. Take it to PM this is a "Prayor Request" thread, not a "will God Answer this Prayor" thread.

*prayer

debbiejo
Just pray for bardock, everyone needs a little help. Mr. Correcto commando.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.