Levels of Hell?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ThePittman

Storm
You could differentiate between hell, sheol, limbo and purgatory.

Shakyamunison
Are you talking about Dante?

ThePittman

Shakyamunison

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

...among others in the various versions of "hell", I would assume.

Hell has always seemed even more asinine to me than the Christian conception of Heaven. If Christianity is right, I'd much rather go to hell than heaven, because any "God" allowing for such punishments isn't someone I want to hang around with. And besides, given eternity to get used to it (because that's what I'd have in hell) I'm fairly certain I could learn to endure and even enjoy any form of punishment they bring before me, whether it's physical, mental, or spiritual.

So I'll be the matyr and volunteer for the lowest levels of hell chaps....that's likely where the real fun's at. wink

Storm
The Divine Comedy is composed of hell (9 circles), purgatory (7 terraces) and paradise (9 spheres).

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by DigiMark007
...among others in the various versions of "hell", I would assume.

Hell has always seemed even more asinine to me than the Christian conception of Heaven. If Christianity is right, I'd much rather go to hell than heaven, because any "God" allowing for such punishments isn't someone I want to hang around with. And besides, given eternity to get used to it (because that's what I'd have in hell) I'm fairly certain I could learn to endure and even enjoy any form of punishment they bring before me, whether it's physical, mental, or spiritual.

So I'll be the matyr and volunteer for the lowest levels of hell chaps....that's likely where the real fun's at. wink

Hell is actually a gay orgy.... ! droolio

Ohh blissssss....eternal BLISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssss

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Storm
The Divine Comedy is composed of hell (9 circles), purgatory (7 terraces) and paradise (9 spheres).

You know they had Medusa as one of the rulers of one of the circles of Hell....Cerberus also makes an appearance.

It was an interesting read... yes

INDEED

FeceMan

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by FeceMan
First of all, you are making the mistake of believing that Satan has any power over hell.

Well the whole "Lord of Darkness" and "Lord of Evil" propaganda sort of makes us beleive that if Satan does exist, then he does rule Hell---the place of ultamate evil.

He doesn't. He's just another demon (the leader, mind you, but he has no special powers).

How does the leader have no power ?

So God DID Create Hell....oh he's so sweet !

Secondly, I believe there are different "levels" of hell--not exactly clear-cut divisions, but different aspects--that are based on the knowledge of one's sins. If one knows the will of God but deliberately disobeys (and is not saved), then one will suffer more than one who has gone against the will of God unknowingly.

Hell does not exist..... no get over it. If it does, then God is entirely irrational, and I refuse to worship that kind of God.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Well the whole "Lord of Darkness" and "Lord of Evil" propaganda sort of makes us beleive that if Satan does exist, then he does rule Hell---the place of ultamate evil.
Yes, the media do make Satan out to be some sort of demigod.

What's your point?

You would refuse to worship anyway.

Lord Urizen
Yes, the media do make Satan out to be some sort of demigod.

So does the Bible..... yes

What's your point?

God is not Love no

Love exists.....I doubt God does.

In the least bit, your God is one that lacks rationale.

You would refuse to worship anyway.

That is EXACTLY the reason why. I refuse to worship someone who created a place of eternal torment for ANYONE. That is cruel and unmerciful and not someone I'd ever admire.

Sorry

ThePittman

FeceMan
So does the Bible..... yes
Uh, not really.

Okay.

Really? Personally, I'd say it was pretty damn cruel and unmerciful for someone to try and drag you into it with him.

Lord Urizen
Uh, not really.

Yes. The Bible makes it clear that Satan is not only powerful and entirely influential, but extremely intelligent.

Okay.

droolio

Really? Personally, I'd say it was pretty damn cruel and unmerciful for someone to try and drag you into it with him.

It would be cruelty if the act was intentional, but since most people don't beleive in Hell, Athiesm and Agnosticism isn't technically cruel.

I find it more cruel that a father would send his children to Hell for not beleiving in him, especially in the case where he leaves no proof of his existance. It's not only illogical, but idiotic.

How do you expect anyone to beleive ?

FeceMan
Yes. The Bible makes it clear that Satan is not only powerful and entirely influential, but extremely intelligent.
He has no special power, though; he does not rule hell.

Satan's deception is quite intentional, I assue you.

I've already explained why hell exists and why God isn't, in fact, a giant bastard (considering He, you know, sent His son to die to give us a "get out of jail free" card).

I expect people to believe from faith.

And they do.

Lord Urizen
I've already explained why hell exists and why God isn't, in fact, a giant bastard (considering He, you know, sent His son to die to give us a "get out of jail free" card).

I expect people to believe from faith.

And they do.

Would you mind linking me to your explanation ?

FeceMan
Would you mind linking me to your explanation ?
*Sighs.*

You know, I was about to, and then I realized I am very, very tired. I have posted it numerous times in numerous threads. I am not going to post it again right now.

Lord Urizen
*Sighs.*

You know, I was about to, and then I realized I am very, very tired. I have posted it numerous times in numerous threads. I am not going to post it again right now.

Well you are delaying my Salvation, simply because you are tired. Would not God be angered at your selfishness of putting your comfort before the salvation of another ?

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Storm

Great works, everyone should read The Divine Comedy, even if one isn't religious. Ah, it would have been so much better to study that in High School English then some of the texts we worked on.

I believe it is in part derived from the debate of theodicy. Those people that believe that God is all powerful and all good and Satan the essential manifestation of evil - but evil must be powerful to mess up God's plan, so logically Satan must be powerful (he did challenge God and was first of the angels after all.)

And of course the whole early Christian literary works (and later ones) on the subject have Satan often appear as "ruling in Hell" - the other option being him as a prisoner being tortured in a prison of God's making (and such Sadism is hardly in line with the concept of God being a good guy) - better to have hell such a bad place because Satan, who is evil, rules it, rather then it being, well, hellish because of God.

JesusIsAlive

crazy
Well there's your answer, close the thread.

Jim Reaper
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive

I have yet to see or hear about a funeral where a person is said to be in Hell.

No kidding...

Lord Urizen
To be more technical people go to Hell for refusing to trust Jesus Christ for salvation from their sins.

Kinda harsh, no ?

I know....that's why I don't like God. He's the one that actually sends you to Hell, not Satan.

So who's the real bad guy ? God or Satan ? God sounds even meaner !

God will not hold the unsaved, Jesus-rejecting populace accountable for any sin other than what they (i.e. each, individual person) has personally committed in their mind, words, and actions.

1) Prejudice
2) Hypocritical
3) Judgemental

All 3 very unattractive qualities. Your God sucks yes

God is just and will ensure that each person's sentence in the Lake of Fire is commensurate with their own personal sins. If you do not want Jesus in this life then it is logical that you would not want Him in the life to come.

You are the LAST person who has the credibility to talk about LOGIC

It is the exact opposite. By default, because of innate sin, we are all destined for Hell until we do something in this life to alter our course.

So we don't really have a choice do we ?

No one asked to be born....God FORCED us into the Trial of Life.....we only have him to blame for his own bullshit.

ThePittman

FeceMan
Well you are delaying my Salvation, simply because you are tired. Would not God be angered at your selfishness of putting your comfort before the salvation of another ?
You don't give a flying **** what I say; you will never become saved through my words.

Shakyamunison
Kinda harsh, no ?

I know....that's why I don't like God. He's the one that actually sends you to Hell, not Satan.

So who's the real bad guy ? God or Satan ? God sounds even meaner !

1) Prejudice
2) Hypocritical
3) Judgemental

All 3 very unattractive qualities. Your God sucks yes

You are the LAST person who has the credibility to talk about LOGIC

So we don't really have a choice do we ?

No one asked to be born....God FORCED us into the Trial of Life.....we only have him to blame for his own bullshit.

Don't get all bent out of shape. What JIA is talling you is all lies anyway. However, he will never see it because he has closed his mind.

FeceMan
he has closed his mind.
Even mentioning close-mindedness on forums--religions forums even moreso--is asking for a "Pot, meet kettle" one-liner.

Shakyamunison
Even mentioning close-mindedness on forums--religions forums even moreso--is asking for a "Pot, meet kettle" one-liner.

The difference is I have been a Christian. I have a clear understanding of the Christian point of view. I reject it because it is lies, and I know this from past experience. However people like the person I was referring to know nothing about Buddhism or any other way of thinking and still they reject it all. That is closed mindedness. I am not closed minded, for I gave Christianity years of my life, just to find out that it was a total lie.

Lord Urizen
The difference is I have been a Christian. I have a clear understanding of the Christian point of view. I reject it because it is lies, and I know this from past experience. However people like the person I was referring to know nothing about Buddhism or any other way of thinking and still they reject it all. That is closed mindedness. I am not closed minded, for I gave Christianity years of my life, just to find out that it was a total lie.

Same here. My turn away from Christianity was recent at best. Two and a half years ago I gave it up. It doesn't work for me.

If it works for other Christians, then that is fine.

But I think it's arrogant for any Christian to expect others to drop thier own beleifs and accept thiers without Valid Reason or some proof at the very least.

King Kandy
I know many Religions. And I think they're all shit for salvation.

JesusIsAlive

ThePittman
No they do not all suffer the same for the reasons that I already stated. So what role does the devil play in hell at all? Then not only is God the deliver of pleasure and salvation but also the deliver of pain and suffering as well. If the Devil has no power at all then it is God that causes the suffering of men.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by ThePittman
So what role does the devil play in hell at all? Then not only is God the deliver of pleasure and salvation but also the deliver of pain and suffering as well. If the Devil has no power at all then it is God that causes the suffering of men.

No, God gives people exactly what they want. If you don't want God's love then the only alternative is God's wrath.

ThePittman
No, God gives people exactly what they want. If you don't want God's love then the only alternative is God's wrath. That has absolutely nothing to do with what I just asked.What role does the Devil play?

Also I don’t want God’s favor or wraith so he doesn’t give me what I want.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by ThePittman
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I just asked.What role does the Devil play?

Also I don’t want God’s favor or wraith so he doesn’t give me what I want.

I perceive that you are trying to trap me in my words Pittman. I have already stated what the devil's role is.

Alliance
Why does god use Euros?

ThePittman

Alliance

JesusIsAlive

ThePittman

Lord Urizen
The devil's role in the Lake of Fire (not Hell for Hell will one day be cast into the Lake of Fire) is to suffer for his sins just like the Jesus-rejecting populace of this world. But God does not want any human to go there. Hell was created for the devil and his angels. But if you do not want God in this life then you are in essence declaring for time and eternity that you do not want God in the life to come. So God will not force you to come to Heaven. Unfortunately, there is only two possible destinations when you die: Heaven or Hell. It is up to you where you want to spend eternity, so don't attempt to blame God for anything whatsoever. The Lord God has said numerous times in His Word, also through me, and through other people, that He is not willing that any should perish, but all should come to repentance.

So it's "Blindly beleive everything by Book says, even though there is no proof of my existance, or I shall send you to a place of eternal torture, that I MYSELF created, but don't really want you to go"

Smells like bullshit to me yes

Jim Reaper
The devil's role in the Lake of Fire (not Hell for Hell will one day be cast into the Lake of Fire) is to suffer for his sins just like the Jesus-rejecting populace of this world. But God does not want any human to go there. Hell was created for the devil and his angels. But if you do not want God in this life then you are in essence declaring for time and eternity that you do not want God in the life to come. So God will not force you to come to Heaven. Unfortunately, there is only two possible destinations when you die: Heaven or Hell. It is up to you where you want to spend eternity, so don't attempt to blame God for anything whatsoever. The Lord God has said numerous times in His Word, also through me, and through other people, that He is not willing that any should perish, but all should come to repentance.

If god is so loving, why not simply wipe these souls from existance? Why the eternal suffering?
He's a vindictive prick, who is certainly willing to let souls perish.

ThePittman
Originally posted by Jim Reaper
If god is so loving, why not simply wipe these souls from existance? Why the eternal suffering?
He's a vindictive prick, who is certainly willing to let souls perish. yes

Alliance
Oh but hes so loving and all he wants you to do is OBEY.

FeceMan
QQ

Satan and his angels are not to be thrown into the lake of fire. They are to be thrown into "the lake of burning sulphur," where they will be tormented forever. John's lack of stating this for the lake of fire is what leaves me wondering if the second death really is death.

Alliance
Sulfur is stinky.

I got stuck in traffic behind a sulfur truck once....VERY not cool.

ThePittman
Originally posted by Alliance
Sulfur is stinky.

I got stuck in traffic behind a sulfur truck once....VERY not cool. eek! drive past a slaughter house, that is the worst smell I have ever smelt.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Alliance
Oh but hes so loving and all he wants you to do is OBEY.

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST OBEY ?

It's dawg-on simple ! Like Lemon pie !

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.