Looks like the Thanos/Squirrel Girl incident has officially been retconned.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Accel
In the latest She-Hulk, the Thanos that recently appeared has been revealed to be a clone. As it turns out, this clone was created with every trait in Thanos's image. Even Thanos himself (the real Thanos) states:

"When I am done, his brain shall mirror my own down to the last ganglion, neuron, and synapse. Gifted telepaths, the most cosmic of beings--even the clone himself--will believe himself to be me."

So, I would believe the "most cosmic of beings" part refers to those on the level of the Watcher, which would mean Squirrel Girl did in fact only defeat the clone.

Keep in mind, this was written by Dan Slott, the same guy who wrote the Squirrel Girl owning.

Grimm22
Dan Slott owns no expression

Except when he wrote She-Hulk beating Champion erm

ExodusCloak
Aww...man....

BTW The She-Hulk resisting Moondragons Telepathy in the last issue is just wrong in so many ways....

Metalmanx
Originally posted by Accel
In the latest She-Hulk, the Thanos that recently appeared has been revealed to be a clone. As it turns out, this clone was created with every trait in Thanos's image. Even Thanos himself (the real Thanos) states:

"When I am done, his brain shall mirror my own down to the last ganglion, neuron, and synapse. Gifted telepaths, the most cosmic of beings--even the clone himself--will believe himself to be me."

So, I would believe the "most cosmic of beings" part refers to those on the level of the Watcher, which would mean Squirrel Girl did in fact only defeat the clone.

Keep in mind, this was written by Dan Slott, the same guy who wrote the Squirrel Girl owning.

So...technically...didn't she really defeat him then?

If he's basically supposed to be Thanos in every way, then she did defeat Thanos.

Disclaimer: Not saying I agree with it, just using the logic that the comic gives me.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Metalmanx

If he's basically supposed to be Thanos in every way, then she did defeat Thanos.

Disclaimer: Not saying I agree with it, just using the logic that the comic gives me.

Hmm...I see were you're coming from...she may not have beat the REAL one..but there is absolutely no difference between the REAL and the FAKE one...so the retcon..is absolutely pointless....

Accel

Nah, though I guess I shouldn't have said "every trait."

It was basically a psychic imprint in his mind. She-Hulk then proceeded to beat the crap out of the clone in just a few panels.

SpunkySmurph

Well, according to the wuote, it's only every mental trait. Not the physical, and otherwise

Grimm22

It was basically a psychic imprint in his mind. She-Hulk then proceeded to beat the crap out of the clone in just a few panels.

She-Hulk beats the crap out of everyone in her own book erm

Even if it doesn't make sense

Accel
Makes perfect sense that she beat up a clone over the real deal. Every one gets the drop on them, because no one cares if they lose.

bigbran

Keep in mind, this was written by Dan Slott, the same guy who wrote the Squirrel Girl owning. Who cares. I really don't want to see Thanos turn into Darkseid with these retarded retcons
Plus it's funner to think of SG being a god.
Plus why would they ret con that shit anyway? I don't think anyone really takes it serious, and if they did, then it's not a bad showing since, SG has no bad showings.

bigbran

It was basically a psychic imprint in his mind. She-Hulk then proceeded to beat the crap out of the clone in just a few panels. I f***ing knew She Hulk was going to win.
Even if it's a damn clone, She Hulk has really turned into a god.
Plus, they are really overdoing it with these retcons.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by bigbran
Who cares. I really don't want to see Thanos turn into Darkseid with these retarded retcons
Plus why would they ret con that shit anyway? I don't think anyone really takes it serious, and if they did, then it's not a bad showing since, SG has no bad showings.

I remember how her jobber aura was listed as a power on wikipedia laughing

Something about strangley being able to beat enemies leagues above her

thedude1948
I wouldnt say it was officially retconned, But that scene can be used as evidence that it was a clone that squirrel girl fought, but you can also make an argument that every Thanos appearance is a clone also (using that scene).

bigbran
Originally posted by thedude1948
I wouldnt say it was officially retconned, But that scene can be used as evidence that it was a clone that squirrel girl fought, but you can also make an argument that every Thanos appearance is a clone also (using that scene). Originally posted by bigbran
I f***ing knew She Hulk was going to win.
Even if it's a damn clone, She Hulk has really turned into a god.
Plus, they are really overdoing it with these retcons.
Also I hope they don't have that stupid, "The real Thanos is omnipotent, etc" shit.

thedude1948
Also I hope they don't have that stupid, "The real Thanos is omnipotent, etc" shit.

Yeah, I really hope the clone idea just dies. Also I wouldn't say She-Hulk beating the Thanos clone was that impressive since he wasnt fighting back at all, and the only time he did fight back he beat the hell out of Star-God.

bigbran
Yeah, I really hope the clone idea just dies. Also I wouldn't say She-Hulk beating the Thanos clone was that impressive since he wasnt fighting back at all, and the only time he did fight back he beat the hell out of Star-God. Still, even if he wasn't fighting back. How could she hurt him? (maybe I'm just thinking of Thanos though)

DigiMark007
Insulting Squirrel Girl = Fail.

no expression

Validus
Did they actually reference the SG beating? If not it still stands.

Accel
No, it hasn't been referenced specifically, but I figured Slott was going in that direction.

Maybe I read into it too much. Frankly, I've been expecting some kind of reference to SG since I heard Thanos was going to appear in this title.

Grimm22
Im still mourning over the loss of the Thing sad

Seriously, Slott's writing on Thing was at times a hell of a lot better than his writing on She-Hulk erm

The best part about She-Hulk's book is the humor.

Slott needs to stop trying to make this weird plots and re-focus on what made the series great in the first place

King Kandy
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
I remember how her jobber aura was listed as a power on wikipedia laughing

Something about strangley being able to beat enemies leagues above her
Just what is Jobber, anyways?

Lord S
I wouldnt say it was officially retconned, But that scene can be used as evidence that it was a clone that squirrel girl fought, but you can also make an argument that every Thanos appearance is a clone also (using that scene). Except that Thanos himself has stated on panel exactly where his clones were used: During the Ka-Zar debacle, the X-Man/Hulk thing, and 'Celestial Quest'. Basically any story written that showed him out of character...using his 70's model as a rabid, power hungry, universe destroying, nihilist...when in reality, he was far from it...ever since 'Infinity Gauntlet'.

Juntai
Originally posted by King Kandy
Just what is Jobber, anyways? I don't know how anyone else got the word, but I knew from back when I used to watch WWE wrestling when I was a kid, that the scrubs that no one ever heard of, like a white kid that wieghed like 120 pounds would come in and manhandled by the Undertaker or something in like a 5 minute match, those types of wrestlers were called "jobbers", they were meant to lose. The Admirals or whatever it is that always goes against the Harlem Globetrotters, were also Jobbers.

boriquaking55
Originally posted by Juntai
I don't know how anyone else got the word, but I knew from back when I used to watch WWE wrestling when I was a kid, that the scrubs that no one ever heard of, like a white kid that wieghed like 120 pounds would come in and manhandled by the Undertaker or something in like a 5 minute match, those types of wrestlers were called "jobbers", they were meant to lose. The Admirals or whatever it is that always goes against the Harlem Globetrotters, were also Jobbers.

Exactly, the Washington Generals was the name of the team.

roughrider
This is from Wikipedia, about the incident:

In the GLX-Mas Special (Dec. 2005), Squirrel Girl and Tippy-Toe managed to defeat M.O.D.O.K., Terrax and Thanos all by themselves. Uatu, the Earth's Watcher, was on hand to confirm that the Thanos she defeated was the real thing, and not a clone or copy of any kind (an explanation that has sometimes been used to excuse some of Thanos' more embarrassing performances over the years).

So how can this be retconned, if Uatu himself was present and said it was the real Thanos?
( Don't tell me, Mr. Slott - it was a clone of Uatu as well! roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue )

Lord S
Originally posted by roughrider
So how can this be retconned, if Uatu himself was present and said it was the real Thanos?
( Don't tell me, Mr. Slott - it was a clone of Uatu as well! roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue ) Here's where it would help to read the actual issue...or at very least, read the first post in this thread.

roughrider
I read the first post. I'm saying I don't buy this B.S. retconning.

( Either that, or Uatu isn't as good at his job as we think. He was fooled by the first death of Jean Grey, too.)

Wally West
I don't think something like this needs retconning, it was obviously just a bit of fun and clearly not meant to be taken seriously.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Wally West
I don't think something like this needs retconning, it was obviously just a bit of fun and clearly not meant to be taken seriously.

mad

No. It was obviously serious canon that should be taken as solid fact. Terrax and Thanos. Once is a bad writer, twice is a valid argument.

stick out tongue

But yeah, seriously, why even feel the need to retcon this?

Sub_Mariner
If Marvel makes one more clone related incident. mad

I will write a letter! mad

Galan777

Keep in mind, this was written by Dan Slott, the same guy who wrote the Squirrel Girl owning. Its about f*cking time!

invisiblewoman
oh yeah! squirell girl was getting way to much credit!

bigbran
Who cares. I really don't want to see Thanos turn into Darkseid with these retarded retcons
Plus why would they ret con that shit anyway? I don't think anyone really takes it serious, and if they did, then it's not a bad showing since, SG has no bad showings. Still stands.

Gamesmaster
I find Squirrel Girl to be a joke. How can her defeating Thanos, a once omnipotent villain who has god-like intellect, be taken seriously? And keep in mind M.O.D.O.K. and Terrax were also defeated, all in a day's work. Yeah right.

Thanos could have roasted an entire army of squirrels with the sway of an arm. We're talking about the villain who nuked his own ppl and dissected his own mother's murdered body.

Dan Slott is the worst writer I've come across for this very reason alone. If something's unbelievable even in a comic book...well, you get the general idea.

Oh, and this is a spoiler, but despite Thanos' seeming death in the Annihilation series, Keith Giffen has insinuated that Thanos may become the new Death. So I ask again, could a bushy-tailed nut muncher really defeat someone even half as formidable as Thanos?

bigbran
Originally posted by Gamesmaster
I find Squirrel Girl to be a joke. How can her defeating Thanos, a once omnipotent villain who has god-like intellect, be taken seriously? And keep in mind M.O.D.O.K. and Terrax were also defeated, all in a day's work. Yeah right.

Thanos could have roasted an entire army of squirrels with the sway of an arm. We're talking about the villain who nuked his own ppl and dissected his own mother's murdered body.

Dan Slott is the worst writer I've come across for this very reason alone. If something's unbelievable even in a comic book...well, you get the general idea.

Oh, and this is a spoiler, but despite Thanos' seeming death in the Annihilation series, Keith Giffen has insinuated that Thanos may become the new Death. So I ask again, could a bushy-tailed nut muncher really defeat someone even half as formidable as Thanos? I think what everyone is forgetting about the SG incident, is that Thanos had enough power to destroy the entire universe in his hands.
That little triangle that he was holding? Ya, that wasn't just Thanos.

SG is a god, higher than Odin, higher than Eternity, higher than most. On-Panel evidence supports it too!
Who f*cking cares if it was an avatar or not, he had enough power to destroy the damn universe, so...

Gamesmaster
So nothing. Squirrel Girl is ultimately the creation of a misguided writer. He had his play with Marvel's universe, but now the conservatives of Marvel are setting it straight again, Giffen being one.

Consider this- Thanos had already defeated foes much stronger than even he, such as Tyrant. How? Through cunning and strategy. Someone who has peered into the Infinity Well for so long simply would not lose to Squirrel Girl, even if she is an amateur god.

Thanos is a fan favorite, even having various sites dedicated to him alone. I was hardpressed to find as much for Squirrel Girl. Thanos has been around for a while, and he'll be around long after Squirrel Girl has been forgotten.

boriquaking55
I think what everyone is forgetting about the SG incident, is that Thanos had enough power to destroy the entire universe in his hands.
That little triangle that he was holding? Ya, that wasn't just Thanos.

SG is a god, higher than Odin, higher than Eternity, higher than most. On-Panel evidence supports it too!
Who f*cking cares if it was an avatar or not, he had enough power to destroy the damn universe, so...

The pyramatrix was a universal threat and in the hands of the mad titan who knows what cataclysm could have occured.

SG is multiversal abstract, at her worst. She could kill Mr. Immortal if she wanted to.

xmarksthespot
I don't consider that a retcon.

bigbran
So nothing. Squirrel Girl is ultimately the creation of a misguided writer. He had his play with Marvel's universe, but now the conservatives of Marvel are setting it straight again, Giffen being one.

Consider this- Thanos had already defeated foes much stronger than even he, such as Tyrant. How? Through cunning and strategy. Someone who has peered into the Infinity Well for so long simply would not lose to Squirrel Girl, even if she is an amateur god.

Thanos is a fan favorite, even having various sites dedicated to him alone. I was hardpressed to find as much for Squirrel Girl. Thanos has been around for a while, and he'll be around long after Squirrel Girl has been forgotten. Of course, but... Squirrel Girl isn't just a person who controls squirrels, as shown on-panel (or off), and obviously her squirrels are more powerful than ordinary ones.

Yes, that writer is trying to do something (mysterious) with Thanos, but why does everyone b*tch about SG? It isn't even a bad showing for Thanos... not even close. It was a joke comic (canon none-the-less), and it didn't go against anything SG has done in the past. It doesn't matter about Thanos losing to her, just the same as it doesn't matter about Doom, Terrax, Modok, etc, losing to her either. It is obvious that she is above all of them.

He defeated Tyrant through his own eyes. In sheer battle might, Tyrant was the winner. Thanos won, in that he had recieved a challenge... a challenge that he had went through a bunch of people to find. In the fight, Tyrant won (barely), in what Thanos was looking to do, he won.
Would you be mad if Thanos lost to Eternity (a rough comparison)? Thanos again, had something that he could destroy the universe with, SG beat him.

Thanos is my favorite character. Still doesn't change the fact that she beat him. It wasn't pis, it wasn't writer stupidity (well... maybe), it is just the way she is written. Until she gets beaten by a hero or something, or hell... even get beat, we can then pull out the bullshit card. Fact is, nothing in history goes against that fight.

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
I don't consider that a retcon. Same thing, that I was thinking.

Accel
Yeah, I think I was reading too much into this at the time. looking back at it now... I've flip-flopped on the matter.

Mider999
marvel and DC are retconning everything sept DC aint even using that to there advantage IE darkseid still jobbing, but now marvel is with this nonsense that LT is a omniversal being, when before he was just one multiverse's judge.

Gamesmaster
You still don't understand the battle within Marvel about Squirrel Girl. She's ridiculous, and though writers have attempted to abandon her to the pile of history after her initial appearance (with only one mention as Deadpool's SG underwear in roughly ten years), misguided writers find it humorous to mess with the multiverse. Others aren't so humored.

Thanos once held the Heart of the Universe, in which even the Living Tribunal was helpless to stop him. He could have destroyed existence, including Squirrel Girl. In fact, in the pantheistic sense, he was one with everything, including Squirrel Girl. He's been her. He's saved her. And if he truly wished, he could squash her.

Look, I'm not saying he's undefeatable, nor should he be. Otherwise, what's the point of comic books if undefeatable villains are running around. But at the hands of someone as clownish as Squirrel Girl? Even Thanos fanboys are justified in being upset. It's simply silly, or nuts, if you will.

DigiMark007
"It's nuts..."

laughing out loud

I can't believe we're still debating this. It's like refusing to laugh at a Peanuts strip because Dogs can't talk.

Gamesmaster
I suppose when your favorite character becomes the blunt end of a joke, it's difficult to laugh with everyone else. Perhaps one day, Squirrel Girl fans will be likewise disappointed if she's ever defeated at the hands of yet another higher being.

But I agree. There's really no point in getting carried away with this fictional stuff.

DigiMark007
I suppose when your favorite character becomes the blunt end of a joke, it's difficult to laugh with everyone else. Perhaps one day, Squirrel Girl fans will be likewise disappointed if she's ever defeated at the hands of yet another higher being.

But I agree. There's really no point in getting carried away with this fictional stuff.

Hell I could care less who any of my favorites loses to, for the most part at least. But it's obvious that Squirrel Girl's just a running joke....no need to get upset, when it really doesn't damage Thanos' cred (or anyone else's) unless you let it.

SamZED
Squirrel Girl fans Squirrel Girl fans? O.o

Endless Mike
Why did you bump this thread? Anyway nothing was confirmed in that issue.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.