I'm a tad confused by this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FeceMan
As Strangelove's thread says, November elections are coming up. I'll be voting.

In Michigan--at least in Grandville--businesses are not allowed to sell alcoholic beverages on Sundays. A proposal to remove this restriction will be on the ballots.

Here was my thought process in thinking on how I would vote:

"I don't drink alcohol--can't--and I never plan on doing so. I also have no moral qualms about the sales and consumption in public places of alcohol on Sundays.

I don't particularly see the need for a change in legislation regarding the issue--oh, noes, I can't purchase alcohol on Sundays. I suppose I'll have to purchase it on the other six days of the week. However, I don't particularly see the need for the law in the first place. Overall, this doesn't affect me in one way or the other.

Now, if I've no skin in the issue--and no particular preference, to boot--is there any reason for me to vote on it?"

To answer the final question, I said to myself, "No, not really."

In discussing the issues with a friend of mine, this came up, and I was promptly described as being "stupid" and "sheep-minded." ad hominem in conjunction with legitimate arguments is aggravating and wearisome.]

I'd like to know what your take is on the situation--I'm not asking if you think I should vote; I'm asking if my decision not to vote on the issue is, in fact, "sheep-minded."

PVS
i think that given the contolling nature of such a silly law, and the further imposing of religion on state law, you should vote against it on principle.
however just as its your right to vote, its your right to not vote. "sheep minded" would mean you are swayed easily by influential parties to think a certain way without logic or fact/evidence. considering nothing but your own apathy has swayed you to not vote on it, i think its a ridiculous comment on you're friend's part. now if he was to call you a lazy ****stick, that would be more apropo

FeceMan
Fair enough, lol.

I'm not really sure how it's imposing religion, though; as far as I know, Christianity has no real rules on alcohol consumption. I ought to ask my parents.

PVS
its stems from blue laws...honor the sabbath and all that nonesense.

Strangelove
It's the same in Indiana, where I live. If the ballot issue came up, I would vote against in on principle, like PVS, but I personally probably wouldn't take advantage, since I on't drink (doesn't mean I won't, but I don't yet)

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by FeceMan
As Strangelove's thread says, November elections are coming up. I'll be voting.

In Michigan--at least in Grandville--businesses are not allowed to sell alcoholic beverages on Sundays. A proposal to remove this restriction will be on the ballots.

Here was my thought process in thinking on how I would vote:

"I don't drink alcohol--can't--and I never plan on doing so. I also have no moral qualms about the sales and consumption in public places of alcohol on Sundays.

I don't particularly see the need for a change in legislation regarding the issue--oh, noes, I can't purchase alcohol on Sundays. I suppose I'll have to purchase it on the other six days of the week. However, I don't particularly see the need for the law in the first place. Overall, this doesn't affect me in one way or the other.

Now, if I've no skin in the issue--and no particular preference, to boot--is there any reason for me to vote on it?"

To answer the final question, I said to myself, "No, not really."

In discussing the issues with a friend of mine, this came up, and I was promptly described as being "stupid" and "sheep-minded." ad hominem in conjunction with legitimate arguments is aggravating and wearisome.]

I'd like to know what your take is on the situation--I'm not asking if you think I should vote; I'm asking if my decision not to vote on the issue is, in fact, "sheep-minded."

After reading this, I think the real question is: Why do you have friends?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
After reading this, I think the real question is: Why do you have friends?

Or at least why are all the friends you ever talk about morons?

Anyways, that old PVS dude is right, man...he'd be so awesome if he capitalized once in a while. Your reasoning is not sheep minded, although I personally would not reason that way...you know..freedom and shit..I dig it.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Bardock42
...you know..freedom and shit..I dig it.
I see what you did there.
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Look, it's my daily troll.

Bardock42
I see what you did there. I am confused by your post.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Me, too! I didn't even type what he 'quoted' me as saying! How did he do that? It's so sophisticated!

Damo Iz God
I think we should all now drink twice as much on sundays just to aggrovate Christians even more. It's not my Sabbath, I should be allowed to drink as much as I want.

lil bitchiness
Meh, Saudi America, strikes again.

Mindship
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Meh, Saudi America, strikes again.
laughing out loud

Regarding thread topic...
Listen, FM, you don't wanna vote on it, that's your right, your choice. But do keep in mind that just because something doesn't affect you directly, doesn't mean it won't affect you, in some way, indirectly. Look at the bigger picture and maybe decide from that POV whether or not this issue merits your vote.

Generally speaking, IMO, if a person doesn't vote, they forfeit the right to b*tch about it later on.

Capt_Fantastic

"Sheep-minded" is not a term I'd use to describe your position...well, you're descision.

However, I think your descision not to vote on the issue is basically a quiet support for keeping the law on the books.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
"Sheep-minded" is not a term I'd use to describe your position...well, you're descision.

However, I think your descision not to vote on the issue is basically a quiet support for keeping the law on the books.

How could you first say "your", but then reconsider and use the wrong "you're"...you did it to make my eyes hurt...admit it, heartless foe.

Capt_Fantastic
How could you first say "your", but then reconsider and use the wrong "you're"...you did it to make my eyes hurt...admit it, heartless foe.

No, it's probally because of my hangover. Or just carelessnessessesssesssness.

Bardock42
No, it's probally because of my hangover. Or just carelessnessessesssesssness.

You shouldn't drink so much. It's not good for your liver.

Capt_Fantastic
You shouldn't drink so much. It's not good for your liver.

But it's good for my social life.

Quiero Mota
No, it's probally because of my hangover.

Wild night?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Wild night?

Not really wild. Just drank too much.

Quiero Mota
It happens.

Bardock42
But it's good for my social life.

But people suck. Ever looked at it that way?

Capt_Fantastic
But people suck.

And if you're lucky, you won't even remember in the morning.

Quiero Mota
But people suck.

No, I love people.

Bardock42
And if you're lucky, you won't even remember in the morning.

Best argument I ever heard. I am going to drown in vodka right now.

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
No, I love people.

Even Colombians?

Quiero Mota
Even Colombians?

erm.........

FeceMan
I am confused by your post.
You were implying that I didn't like freedom.

Bardock42
You were implying that I didn't like freedom. Yes, I wasn't confused by my post though.

FeceMan
Yes, I wasn't confused by my post though.
Neither was I.

Bardock42
Neither was I.

Which makes sense, as it was very plain and straightforward. Or was it? Yes it was.

Shalimar_fox
hey let Mich worry about mich.jocking but i do wanna say go Michigan

Bardock42
Originally posted by Shalimar_fox

Pardon?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Shalimar_fox

I agree. Buy low, sell high.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.