A Call of Faith pt 2: Symbols

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Chiki Mina
I'am trying to cheer up like very very hard. Its been a messed up week. So Im trying to give myelf a second chance. I dunno If any of you people have seen the lady statue thing on the front of The Pearl

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l127/daisylovesdk/black%20pearl%20oct%2031/DSC02056.jpg

I think theres a symbol in it. The lady is holding a dove/bird. Symbolizing freedom. And notice how its a lady holding the bird..

CaptainJacksLuv
well, in the first one, jack explains how the black pearl is freedom, by the look of it, its probably symbolic to freedom. do you no what i mean?

Chiki Mina
yup. But its a lady holding the sparrow wink And the lady has wings

Surreal_44
It was typical to have a female at the front of the ship. They were symbolic as to the spirit of the ship and um, I think they were used to placate the gods of the sea.

But yeah, the figurehead represents freedom. She's lovely, isn't she? The Black Pearl is just a fabulous ship, and I loved her the moment I saw her. If I believed in past lives, I'd say that I was a sailor. big grin

Interesting, though I don't think it had much to do with J/E shipping.

Of course, if I want to read too much into it, I would say that the figurehead is that of a Roman lady who has one hand over her heart and the other hand releasing the bird. So in a roundabout way, it could be representative of J/E. *shrug*

I think it's just a pretty figurehead to represent what the Pearl means to Jack.

But good thought!

Chiki Mina
Im not saying it wil be exactly J/E lol. Im still not giving up though. Im just giving myself chances. You're right in all ships its most likely a woman statue on the front of the ship.

But I just think this one is different somewhat.

LovelyOne
that may be the greek goddes Nike...its a dove right?

Chiki Mina
aha a dove I believe.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l127/daisylovesdk/black%20pearl%20oct%2031/DSC02055.jpg

here is the link if you gurls wanna see more

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l127/daisylovesdk/black%20pearl%20oct%2031/

LovelyOne
I think her bird may be the dove *does some reasearch* big grin

Chiki Mina
Yay go lovely is ur b-day!! woo woo woo

I'll help ya big grin

LovelyOne
LOL

cant seem to find her with a bird..usually each God and Goddess has their own symbolic bird..Athena's is an owl.

Chiki Mina
Exactly Athena is with an owel.

THis lady has a dove in her hands and she has wings. Im gonna look further into this.

Chiki Mina
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Nik%C3%A9_%C3%89ph%C3%A8se.jpg

Chiki Mina
Here is a picture of her with her wings but i cant find one holding a dove...

LovelyOne
me neither..she usually holds a feather or a wreath

LovelyOne
feather:

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/gallery/mythology/europe/greek/nike.html

Chiki Mina

LovelyOne
WOOOT^^^ good find big grin
mystery No1 solved..so why is she holding a dove lol

LovelyOne
Oh wait..Dove is actually a bird of Athena..But Nike is part of athena..

they often called her Athena Nike

Chiki Mina
yes why is she holding a Dove

Chiki Mina
o I found something else.

In Greek mythology, Nike (meaning
"Victory"wink (Roman equivalent: Victoria), was
a goddess who personified triumph and
victory. She was capable of running and
flying at great speeds. She was effectively
treated as a bringer of good luck and was
often depicted as a winged figure perching
on another god's arm, peeping out from a
fellow god's clothes or flying above like a
winged fairy. In this plaque is flying
together with a winged Eros.

Surreal_44
She could just be an angel too....

willofthewisp
That could be true, but in this crazy universe, it could easily be a goddess.

Here is what gets me: the dove in its simplest terms is a symbol of peace. Yet it's part of the figurehead of a PIRATE ship. I think it fits Jack that he has too much of a heart to really be a great pirate. It's his heart that always gets him in trouble....like being mutinied by Barbossa.

katelovespirate
word.

i think its pretty, but considering it doesnt get a lot of close-up shots, i doubt its important.

LovelyOne
willofthewisp..doesn't that just scream out Davy Jones? confused

as if Jack will be the one mirroring him or something..he shows love and compassion he displays his heart and people tear it out..

poor Jack sad

Mistypirate
OMG Chiki I feel like hitting you with an oar. LOL That observation was so freaking good. Awesome. big grin

willofthewisp
"willofthewisp..doesn't that just scream out Davy Jones?

as if Jack will be the one mirroring him or something..he shows love and compassion he displays his heart and people tear it out.."------LovelyOne

I never really thought of Jack and Davy having parallels until now. Makes me think.....seriously. I don't really feel sorry for Jones, though. A lot of people have had their hearts broken over the years and they don't go around condemning people and making their lives miserable and sending monsters after them. Davy may not have started out a monster, but he is one now.

CaptinJackLover
yers i agree...its all his fault his life turned out this way...sure u can have some pity but i honestly dont have any watsoever towarss him///he is a cold hearted man...even tho he has no heart lol...but anyways....its not really love that did this to him, it was him thinking a broken heart would ruin his life, but he just ruined it himself...

Chiki Mina
Originally posted by Mistypirate
OMG Chiki I feel like hitting you with an oar. LOL That observation was so freaking good. Awesome. big grin

lmao. I feel bad for Jack that he takes everything by heart. Jack is considered a pirate because he breaks rules, but sometimes he does it to do something good like when he freed those slaves. Hes too good of a man to be a pirate. Thats why he either find a place in the new world or perish.

Mistypirate
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
lmao. I feel bad for Jack that he takes everything by heart. Jack is considered a pirate because he breaks rules, but sometimes he does it to do something good like when he freed those slaves. Hes too good of a man to be a pirate. Thats why he either find a place in the new world or perish.

You know what? I think that his vision of freedom came from, when he freed the slaves. He though he was doing a good thing, which in fact he was. But that got him in trouble because he retaliated against the people he was working for. And I believe that after this event his whole life was a mess. He probably though, I try to do a good thing and this is what I get? And therefore he tries to hide behind this bad ass pirate facet. Which makes him some one that hes really not.

Chiki Mina
Originally posted by Mistypirate
You know what? I think that his vision of freedom came from, when he freed the slaves. He though he was doing a good thing, which in fact he was. But that got him in trouble because he retaliated against the people he was working for. And I believe that after this event his whole life was a mess. He probably though, I try to do a good thing and this is what I get? And therefore he tries to hide behind this bad ass pirate facet. Which makes him some one that hes really not.

omg omg misty you are right! He saw something that wasnt right he saw those slaves and noticed that they were not happy. I think he was comparing himself working with beckett with those slaves. He freed them and doing so he got branded a pirate because he broke the rules. He wanted freedom thats all he wants and the sea is his territory and the pearl is the one who takes him to it.

Jack tries to be "bad" in order for him not to get hurt. He got mutiny by Barbossa bc he trusted him and Jack is too good at heart. Jack knows the typical pirate stuff cheating, rum, treassure, etc etc. But to become a real pirate, you have to have a black heart. Jacks heart is golden under all that rouguish look and all those bad ass looks.

Mistypirate
Yes he trusts people to way to easy, so that means he has a kind heart, he doesn't think bad about people. He trusted Will and Elizabeth without a problem in the first movie. And as you can see every time he does opens up, he gets f#$ck up. Poor Jack, hopefully Liz the pea brain is going to understand the reason why Jack is like this. And I hope that whatever he does to her, she is going to deserve. Although I have a feeling we are going to hate him when he does whatever is it hes going to do to her. But he is going to feel guilty and hurt because thats not the real him. sad

Chiki Mina
Change of subject sorry sorry!!

But does any wanna help me debate AGAINST abortion?

Mistypirate
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
Change of subject sorry sorry!!

But does any wanna help me debate AGAINST abortion?

LOL sure how?

Chiki Mina
go to general discussion forum lol

Chiki Mina
MISTY WHEREEVER YOU ARE THANX FOR THE POST LOL.

Im going off to bed now...my eye is making me blind lol. Take care xoxo

KEEP THE FAITH big grin

Mistypirate
Ok hun I already add my 2 cents in the thread, that was really interesting. I never though there would be more people pro-abortion. I have to go to sleep, start work at 7am lol. Good nite xoxox and thanks for keeping the fate in this forum big grin

Chiki Mina
Hey Lovely I wonder if you have any other opinions about Nike.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.