The Final Editions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theEviljedi
What do you expect to see in the "Final Editions"? I for one would like to see Jimmy Smits with loads of makeup in ANH before Alderan is destroyed.

COREWORLD
That would be cool, as the Death Star approaches, do an establishing shot of Aldera and then as the beam is launched at the planet, everyone looking up in terror.

Ratcat
Though I think it's a really cool idea, I have my doubts that Lucas will do any further "enhancements" to the OT.

theEviljedi
Not even fix the Rancor scene?

Ratcat
No EJ, not even for that.

Just cos you haven't got a life doesn't mean Lucas is missing one....

Gundark
In the Rancor scene, do you think Luke just made a lucky shot at the door switch or do you think he force threw that rock ? It didn't look like he used the force (and I know "there's no such thing as luck"wink

Ratcat
NOt sure, actually was anyone else surprised that he didn't fix that scene when he had the chance during the production of the Special Editions?

It does stick out. Seems od that he woukld not sort out such a galringly bad bit of matte/stop motion work.

queeq
Yes, I was surprised they didn't fix it. After all, I could have cared less about the musical scene, although it was funny this way, but the Rancor is like the most horrible site.

And then they talk about fixing the matte lines in the snowspeeders, which you could hardly see, and they leave this ugly Rancor. Weird.

Ushgarak
It was probably a time thing. They took a long, long time on those new FX shots (as we all know, the new Han/Jabba scene took forever...).

So all the time for the ROTJ remake went into the musical scene, which probably means that GL, in his funny little directorial way, thought that putting an amusing scene into the movie at that point was far more important than fixing dodgy effects.

I'm sure there were a lot of better suggestions that any one of us could have told him to do when re-making ROTJ. But we probably would have ended up yelling at him. Remember, he just doesn't think like us. The evidence for that is compelling.

I would like to see, in the Final Editions, more than seven or eight TIE Fighters coming from the Death Star. Lways struck me as odd, that.

And an Empire Strikes Back ground force on the same scale as the Trade Federation army.

Ratcat
Yeah, but if you look at that Jabba amd then at the Jabba in Episode-I and in Episode-VI the Episode-IV "enahncement" does kinda suck too....

It's too thin, the face is all wrong and it's too darn small.

queeq
Yes, I saw that. I dug it when the SE's came out, but not after Ep1. Jabba in Ep1 looks very much like he does in ROTJ, but he's a lot smaller in ANH SE. And he does look weird, I agree.

Ratcat
I was almost expecting the Episode-I Jabba to be a worm, as some young Hutts are descibed in the EU.

queeq
Yes, laughing out loud , so did I actually. Well not a small worm, but smaller than he was in ANH. Guess the ANH Jabba just came back from a Spa and lost some major weight.

Ratcat
I think we all know that the reality of it was that the SE's were a test bed for the technology Lucas used to make Episode-I. sad

Ushgarak
I thought the conversions of the Bespin scenes were very good.

queeq
Bespin was awesome. I agree. And I like ANH SE as well. Great job well done there. I think ANH was the only one really in need of a SE, though.

Gundark
Well I thought in ROTJ when they're going from Jabba's palace out to the Sarlaac pit was horrible. If you look at the figure walking across the sail barge, he looks like a cartoon character. Yeesh. sick

AND the tarzan yell made by Chewbacca when him and the ewoks are swinging on that vine DEFINATELY should have come OUT !!! sick sick

queeq
Ah never mind the Tarzan yell. It's done.

The tentacles from the Sarlacc Pit were nice though.

Ratcat
I think they did a better job with the building and robotic additions to the SE's The organic ones weren't so well done.

queeq
The dewbacks in ANH SE were pretty good. IMHO OC. So were the CGI Stormtroopers.

Ratcat
True, but then again the Stormtroopers are so like droids.

I take that back about the organics, well partly. The dewbacks at Mos Eosley were great, wasn't so impressed by the one in the dune seas.

queeq
The ones in the Mos Eisley streets were very good. Liked them.

Zareil
There are pics of the Rancor scene and also as mentioned in the book that Luke lept up and kicked the Rancor in the head. This would be cool to see. As well as this there is the scene where Luke builds the Lightsaber which would be nice to see. While we are at it howsabout The Biggs scene and with modern technology cutting the original actor out and replacing him with a new one. Oh and in episode one having the bit where Maul leaps after Quin into the Naboo craft.

Well thats what I'd like to see anyway.

queeq
Maybe in the DVD, Zareil. Maybe they include the missing TPM scenes. It's said to be release by Christmas.

Ushgarak
Heck- why DID they miss out that Qui-Gon/Maul ramp scene? They cut the start up so much that you race through the first thrity minutes iof plot at lightspeed, and then they cut out parts of the bits that everyone was dying for...

Mind you, I'm a big TPM defender, so I won't go too far down that road

queeq
Aha, so that's where our destinies clash. I thought TPM could and SHOULD have been a lot better. And I wonder if that ramp scene would have saved the day. Just more eye candy.

Ushgarak
It could have been better, no doubt. But I wasn't as disappointed as others. And I thought it was actually better than ROTJ, all things considered.

I hate to be unfair on ROTJ as well, because the final resolution of the Skywalker plot was great. But the film just didn't hang together.

queeq
Well, a lot better than TPM. I mean the lightsabre fight was nice and all, but the one in ROTJ was more powerful, much more emotional, dramatic and tense. It had a fantastic opeing sequence and Palpy had much better screen time. The rest was okay, but Luke's conclusive steps of his destiny were pretty strong. Nowhere did TPM have any such powerful a moment.

Ushgarak
Mind you, I'm biased in that Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson are two of my four favourite actors. Another one is James Earl Jones- pure co-incidence, I assure you, as I choose this list before TPM was dreamt up.All we need now is David Warner in a Star Wars film and I've got the whole list in Star Wars.

But I thought Liam Neeson brought a certain poise to Star Wars that hadn't been seen since Guiness was in ANH. Even in one film, his character arc was pretty perfect.

I thought the Gungan battle made a point about lower-tech fighting far better than the Ewok battle did.

There were the sabre fights, of course, and the Pod-racing was great for the kids

And furthermore, I appreciate that TPM completely fulfilled everything it set out to do- being a prequel in a truest sense, rather than the start of a seperate story (like Episode II will be).

Althougn I do now think that this was a tactical mistake by GL, and it should have been a three-part straight story like the original. But I won't damn TPM for that error.

In retrospect, once the other films are out, TPM will seem better, because it's value as a true prequel would be appreciated. Sadly, being released as the first Star Wars film in 16 years did it no favours.

Meanwhile, back on the topic... is there any truth to the rumours that Lucasfilm were considering shooting brand new footage if they decide to make the final editions? And not just small stuff- whole extra scenes. Because I have mixed feelings about that... but I have no way to tell the truth of rumours. You guys, with all your resources...

Ushgarak
Zareil- you really do hate the actors in the mssing Tatooine scenes, don't you? And they strick me as such quality...

Zareil
As I've said before it is not strictly down entirely to actors, if the plot and quality of production is strong enough that is. No what I was suggesting was that given that bit was cut out on the grounds of the acting that is why the seen should be replaced with an altered version similar to the Jabba overlay thang. Any hows as to your comments on the TPM lets face it several major problems, As pre-noted there is C3po + the extra fights always a bit of a bonus, and then those damn infernal body bugs, what the hell was anyone thinking. Look as an intro it wasn't a bad movie, there were ways to look past Jar Jar same as ewoks, its just that as stated its not always the actors but what they are put through, and poor quality of dialogue is one of them.

Ushgarak
Oh,let's not get into the Midi-Chlorians again... did you read my big theory about them in the 'disappearing trick' thread?

Zareil
I dont know you turn ya back for two seconds and you answer. Well I suppose I can only be thankful except for those bugs that is hmmph, I'm going for a drink in the bar...

Ushgarak
Right,. Go to the right place this time!

JediOasis
I think I read somewhere that there was a scene in TPM after Qui-Gon had taken the hyper-drive back to the ship and goes back to get Anakin, but when he returns Anakin was in a fight. I thought that it was the "Greedo" character had accused Anakin of cheating and Anakin threw him to the ground and QG ran up and broke up the fight. Has anyone else heard this? It would be cool to see.

Ushgarak
Actually, I think it was a good thing that it wasn't in. I feel people would have over-interpreted it as evidence of Anakin's anger and lack of self-control, wheeras I prefer it when Anakin is actually shown as squeaky-clean at first, with only the Jedi able to detect his failings.

Ratcat
I agree. I also think a lot of people expect to see Hayden as a bad boy from the very first scene. I think we will see a lot of the young Anakin in still.

queeq
Sure. I mean Luke had his faults and we never considered him a bad boy. He whined in ANH, was impatient and unbelieving in ESB. A few bad points in someone's personality gives him character. Come to think of it, Anakin didn't have too much of that in TPM. He was like a perfect bond boy.

Ushgarak
Typo or otherwise... did you know Jake Lloyd wants to play James Bond when he is older? Well, they've gone to just about every other english-speaking country, so why not the States...

queeq
Because a yankee boy doesn't have a proper British accent. The other countries were still part of the common wealth.

Ushgarak
Pierce Brosnan isn't from a Commonwealth country. If they can pick George Lazenby, they can pick a Yank.

JediOasis
Has Jake Llyod done any movies since TPM? I was just wondering.

Ratcat
Yeah, 3:

Die with Me (2001) .... Mikey Cooper
Madison (2000) .... Mike McCormick
Race to Space (2000) .... Justin

Got this from his profile at IMDB.COM
us.imdb.com/Name?Lloyd,+Jake+(I)

JediOasis
This is a little off topic, but I was just wondering. I heard that they are making a prequel of "Spaceballs". Is that true?

queeq
HUH??????? Sounds great!

Edna witch
How can they make a presuel of Spaceballs? Its not like the beginning of ANH where there is a whole story to tell. It wouldnt work!

JediOasis
I think thats part of the whole joke. Supposidly the kid from Jerry Maguire is playing Dark Helmet. I personally can't wait, it'll be hilarious.

queeq
I can't find anything about it on the net. There is lots of joking about it and fans making lots of goofy suggestions on what should be in it, but nothing official or seriously rumoured stuff anywhere.

Edna witch
Wow! It should be cool anyway! Im all excited now!

queeq
But can Mel pull it off again? His last pics weren't what they used to be.

Gundark
Oh, Ush...George Lazenby ? I cringe everytime I hear that name when somebody is dicussing Bond. sick

I think spaceballs should be left to stand on its own. Just like they should have never made another Ghostbusters or another Caddyshack. Or another Smokey and the Bandit for that matter. They're never as good as the first, and it just drags the reputation of the first down. IMHO. stick out tongue

Zareil
I don't know Ghost Busters II was alright and anyway if you didn't like that then what of the new sequel they are doing. Or is all this as was highlighted in the Scream movies which you either like or not, there are differences between trilogies and sequels. Anyway back to the Spaceballs II. Yes I'll be interested in Seeing a sequel to spaceballs only to see what the hell they'll do with it whether good or bad. Oh and I wonder who they would get to replace Barf?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.