Radioactive antibodies hunt out HIV-infected cells

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xmarksthespot
Yep, it's one of those copy-paste article threads, but I found this interesting and was in a giving mood.
It's probably presumptuous to be too optimistic, but it is nice to see developments in fighting this disease that's killed over 25 million people over the past 25 years and afflicts around 40 million people worldwide (2.3 million of them children) today.

lil bitchiness
I concur.

However, assuming the optimistic thoughts regarding the treatnment are fair, and this treatment is successful, it is again those with economic and regional privilege who will receive it.

LethalFemme
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I concur.

However, assuming the optimistic thoughts regarding the treatnment are fair, and this treatment is successful, it is again those with economic and regional privilege who will receive it.

Don't forget about the "generous" people that will use this as a means of gaining power in the public eye by helping the less fortunate.

Alliance
This is somewhat exciting, antibodies are powerful tools.

Robtard
I hate to say this because I am not one for conspiracy theories, but don't you think if the mega pharmaceuticals companies really wanted to find a cure for HIV/AIDS we'd have it by now? At least a possibility?

There's more money to be made in treating a disease, keeping it in check and prolonging the life of the victim than it is to cure it in one fell swipe.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by LethalFemme
Don't forget about the "generous" people that will use this as a means of gaining power in the public eye by helping the less fortunate.

Not only that - the price will sky rocket. What better way to make money.

Originally posted by Robtard
I hate to say this because I am not one for conspiracy theories, but don't you think if the mega pharmaceuticals companies really wanted to find a cure for HIV/AIDS we'd have it by now? At least a possibility?

There's more money to be made in treating a disease, keeping it in check and prolonging the life of the victim than it is to cure it in one fell swipe.

It is often debated that the pharmaceutical business is sitting on the cure, but is not releasing it due to the such value of it - in financial means...or something along those lines.

LethalFemme

That is a good way of making money. Just find a product that would help and epidemic and up the price. I'm sure starving families in third world countries can afford the thousands or millions even it would cost.

Robtard

It is often debated that the pharmaceutical business is sitting on the cure, but is not releasing it due to the such value of it - in financial means...or something along those lines.

I've done some research and you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) the cost of medicine to treat HIV. Same goes for cancer meds. The pharmaceuticals companies are making money 'hand over fist'* by merely prolonging sick peoples lives and nor curing them.

*not the original nautical meaning smile

Soleran
I've done some research and you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) the cost of medicine to treat HIV. Same goes for cancer meds. The pharmaceuticals companies are making money 'hand over fist'* by merely prolonging sick peoples lives and nor curing them.

*not the original nautical meaning smile

Pharma companies are tools of the devil, the devil I say! evil face

Robtard
Originally posted by Soleran
Pharma companies are tools of the devil, the devil I say! evil face

So are physics, free thought and facts!

xmarksthespot
Fitting that they'd work to fight against HIV, which was of course sent by god to punish us all. Clearly Satan's got our back.

Robtard
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Fitting that they'd work to fight against HIV, which was of course sent by god to punish us all. Clearly Satan's got our back.

Haven't you been listening to the Christian Fundamentalist? God sent HIV to punish the "homos" not 'us'.

xmarksthespot
Ah but accepting the homosexuals as people too and entitled to rights etc. angers god.. so we get everything from pedophilia to the Iraq War.

Well it's only half the homosexuals' fault, the other half is Darwin's.

Robtard
By that rational... if I were a Religious Fundamentalist, I could reason that as a Religious Fundamentalist and not accepting homosexuals as people, I would therefore be immune to HIV. I'm really starting to like this religious logic, things are so much easier... Drive brain up a hill, turn off key, close eyes and just coast all the way down.

redcaped
Have a scanner identify the virus and destroy it. How? Take a sample and make it traceable by its characteristics...length, color, shape, development, etc. Only aiming the parasite so the treatment won't be painful like losing hair etc

redcaped
I don't think color can be detected with such magnification but other types, yes.

§P0oONY
HIV mutates so often this would never make for a full blown cure.

crazy

My thoughts exactly, I have read numerous things about there being a vaccine out already.

FeceMan
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Yep, it's one of those copy-paste article threads, but I found this interesting and was in a giving mood.
It's probably presumptuous to be too optimistic, but it is nice to see developments in fighting this disease that's killed over 25 million people over the past 25 years and afflicts around 40 million people worldwide (2.3 million of them children) today.
nothering should help the homosekshuls who have hiv because god is judging them.FM

Strangelove
Originally posted by LethalFemme
Don't forget about the "generous" people that will use this as a means of gaining power in the public eye by helping the less fortunate. Even if they're doing it for power, it's for a good cause, only really cynical people would fault them for that

FeceMan
Originally posted by Strangelove
Even if they're doing it for power, it's for a good cause, only really cynical people would fault them for that
Or those of us who judge intent as well as outcome.

xmarksthespot
Meh, to argue that the ends can justify the means and intentions isn't always incorrect.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.