American Beauty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Couldn't find a thread on this movie.

Anyway, I just watched it for the first time a few days ago and I really liked it. Kevin Spacey was great.

Opinions/Thoughts on this film?

super pr*xy
awesome movie.

dirkdirden
Very good movie. We watched it in our movies class in college. There are 7 layers of meaning in the movie......Too bad I can't rember them since it has been a few years.

10/10 from me.

SnakeEyes
7 layers, eh?

Well if you manage to remember, please post them, I'm curious.

§P0oONY
I enjoyed the film. I don't want to look deep in to it. Just a nice story of lust, revenge and jelousy to me.

Impediment
Great movie.

Röland
Originally posted by dirkdirden
Very good movie. We watched it in our movies class in college. There are 7 layers of meaning in the movie......Too bad I can't rember them since it has been a few years.

10/10 from me.

I thought this was a great movie filled with a lot of different meanings and symbols.

I don't know if these are the 7 Meanings you are talking about dirk, but I found these on wikipedia. srug

- Lester, during his narration, claims to be dead inside long before his physical death. He begins to enter a midlife crisis, slowly exercising some of his real personality and feelings in his life, and finds that he likes being able to express himself again after yielding to Carolyn's personality for so long.

- Carolyn yearns for success and the image thereof, so much that she refuses to acknowledge that she and her husband are having a fundamental disconnect in their marriage. Her image of perfection is so ingrained that she cannot accept the changes Lester wishes to make in his life and in their lives together. She eventually has an affair with a more successful real estate broker, obtains a gun, and acquires self-help tapes, unwilling to admit until Lester's death that her life is unraveling before her eyes.

- Jane's transformation through the film is subtle, but noticeable. She has a cheerful, colorful room, wears makeup and is a member of the cheer-leading squad at her high school, as well as being friends with Angela, a supposedly more beautiful and popular cheerleader. After meeting Ricky Fitts, Jane slowly begins to move away from the 'normal': she wears less and less makeup, challenges Angela's behavior and attitudes, and embraces that which makes her different from others.

- Frank Fitts is a staunch Marine Colonel whose militant attitude and insistence upon discipline and order in his house even includes having his son's urine tested. He has been repressing his homosexuality for many years, denying what he deems to be unnatural about himself, and, after Lester spurns him, he kills the man who rekindled those feelings.

- Barbara Fitts, for reasons unknown throughout the film, seems to have a fundamental disconnect with reality. Whether through the abuse/repression of her husband, a traumatic event from her own past, or the side-effect of some form of medication, Barbara seems to have lost all connection to whatever personality she might have formed growing up. She looks lost and uncertain in all scenes where she appears.

- Ricky Fitts is forced to hide his artistic nature as well as his marijuana dealing due to his father's militaristic rule over the Fitts home. He connects to Jane initially by filming her, learning her name from Lester, and has a tender, shy nature until the end of the film. When Angela confronts Jane about leaving with him, Ricky shows his more forceful nature and defends the girl he loves.

- Angela Hayes, like Carolyn, has adopted a self-confident, haughty and promiscuous exterior to hide her own insecurities. She lies blatantly to fellow students about sleeping with fashion photographers, brags to Jane that men have been ogling her since the age of twelve, and acts the coquette towards Lester, whose attraction to her is obvious. Her sexpot image derails when she admits to Lester that she is a virgin after being told by Ricky that she is 'ordinary', which to her is the worst thing in the world to be. She is wiping the smeared makeup from her face in the bathroom when Lester is killed, which can be viewed as removing the mask she has been wearing all along.

Kram3r
Excellent movie, the story and directing were superb. Also, I think Spacey's acting in that was awesome.

Fawne
i just saw this movie a few days ago and saw this thread and said..errie. i love the subtle symbolism in this film..well worth it's award of best picture

nailjil21
I like mena suvari's character.=)

Strangelove
The whole movie is absolutely brilliant. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.

Solo
Another movie that didn't deserve best picture.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Solo
Another movie that didn't deserve best picture. I'm going to have to destroy you now

Solo
It's good, not great. Have you seen Magnolia?

Rapscallion
please, it kicks magnolia's ass. one of the best films of the past ten years (in my personal opinion), and it is exceptional in every major aspect of film-making. Great story, wonderfully written, dynamic intyeresting characters, brilliant photography, strong directing, superb acting from all major characters, and not a bad musical score either.

i think maybe a 9.6 out of 10

Bardiel13
I have to say, I enjoyed it. I'm not usually into dramas, but Spacy's character made the film much more interesting. Hell, without him, I doubt it would've been as good. Also, a very quotable film.
I find it unsatifying at the end, though. I mean, after years of repression, he finally stands up to his wife and finds self-contentment and as he's amiring the family (although flawed) he has made and thinking how awesome his life really was... BAM! Sad.

DeVi| D0do
Great film. But Being John Malkovich was the Best Picture of 1999...

Strangelove
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Great film. But Being John Malkovich was the Best Picture of 1999... no Being John Makovich was good, but compared to American Beauty.....it had no chance for Best Picture.

American Beauty is such a powerful film with such raw emotion and truth, I can't believe there are people who don't give it the credit it deserves erm

Fawne
Originally posted by Bardiel13
I have to say, I enjoyed it. I'm not usually into dramas, but Spacy's character made the film much more interesting. Hell, without him, I doubt it would've been as good. Also, a very quotable film.
I find it unsatifying at the end, though. I mean, after years of repression, he finally stands up to his wife and finds self-contentment and as he's amiring the family (although flawed) he has made and thinking how awesome his life really was... BAM! Sad.

hell without him the movie wouldn't have much of a point..without his character that is. but your right..no one else but spacey could have potrayed lester

Solo
Originally posted by Rapscallion
please, it kicks magnolia's ass. one of the best films of the past ten years (in my personal opinion), and it is exceptional in every major aspect of film-making. Great story, wonderfully written, dynamic intyeresting characters, brilliant photography, strong directing, superb acting from all major characters, and not a bad musical score either.
Hardy ****in' har. Let's do a little comparing:

Magnolia
Great Acting
Great Story
Great Cinematography
Great Writing
Great Directing
Fantastic Score

American Beauty
Kevin Spacey

Not much to compare, in my opinion. I'm sure you like Fight Club more than Magnolia too, yes?

Originally posted by Strangelove
Being John Makovich was good, but compared to American Beauty.....it had no chance for Best Picture.
Being John Malkovich is so much better, it isn't funny.

I can't believe there are people who don't give it the credit it deserves erm
There are more than enough people giving it four star reviews, seriously. It's one of the more overrated films of the past decade.

Fawne

Magnolia
Great Acting
Great Story
Great Cinematography
Great Writing
Great Directing
Fantastic Score

American Beauty
Kevin Spacey

Not much to compare, in my opinion. I'm sure you like Fight Club more than Magnolia too, yes?

There are more than enough people giving it four star reviews, seriously. It's one of the more overrated films of the past decade.

what part of us is caring..if you can't deal with opinions become a movie critic

Rapscallion

Magnolia
Great Acting
Great Story
Great Cinematography
Great Writing
Great Directing
Fantastic Score

American Beauty
Kevin Spacey

pretty subjective (yes i am being a hypocrite) if you just say "great ----" without backing it up. now i hate to use awards as a barometer but

American Beauty
Oscars won
best picture
best actor
best director
best screenplay
best cinematography

oscars nominated
best actress
best editing
best musical score

Golden globes won
best director
best motion picture
best screenplay

golden globes nominated
best actor
best actress
best musical score

as for magnolia
oscars won
none

oscars nominated
west supporting actor
best screenplay
best musical song (not score)

Golden globes won
best supporting actor

golden globes nominated
best original song

again, this doesn't mean American Beauty's better. It just means everyone thinks it's better.

Rapscallion
Originally posted by Fawne
what part of us is caring..if you can't deal with opinions become a movie critic

now now. he's just expressing his opinion too. i happen to disagree with it, but let's not loose perspective over what we're arguing about.

DeVi| D0do
pretty subjective (yes i am being a hypocrite) if you just say "great ----" without backing it up. now i hate to use awards as a barometer but...
So don't. Stanley Kubrick never won an Oscar in his life. Or a Golden Globe.

Bardock42

Magnolia
Great Acting
Great Story
Great Cinematography
Great Writing
Great Directing
Fantastic Score

American Beauty
Kevin Spacey

Well, let me compare:

Magnolia
Great Acting
Great Story
Great Cinematography
Great Writing
Great Directing
Fantastic Score

Fight Club
Edward Norton

Yeah..Fight Club takes it.

Seriously though,. i quite liked the movie, certainly Kevin Spacey had a big role in that liking, but I just generally found the ideas nice..the story...the characters...or something. I didn't have the pleasure of seeing Magnolia, yet, but hearing about it I shall do so rather sooner than later.

And yes, it might be overrated, but it is a good movie. Kinda like the Beatles have no chance of not being overrated while still being an awesome band (just different).

Strangelove

Magnolia
Great Acting
Great Story
Great Cinematography
Great Writing
Great Directing
Fantastic Score

American Beauty
Kevin Spacey

Not much to compare, in my opinion. I'm sure you like Fight Club more than Magnolia too, yes? roll eyes (sarcastic) You're not biased at all

Solo
pretty subjective (yes i am being a hypocrite) if you just say "great ----" without backing it up. now i hate to use awards as a barometer but
I don't need awards to back up my opinions. Oscars don't mean shit. If you want to post some other awful place, such as IMDB, to show how many people love a movie, please do. I could really care less.

again, this doesn't mean American Beauty's better. It just means everyone thinks it's better.
Winning a few oscars means everyone thinks it's better? Great.

You're not biased at all
If being biased now means having an opinion, then I sure am.

Strangelove
If being biased now means having an opinion, then I sure am. Listing only one asset of the movie that you are arguing against when there are a considerable number of assets you neglect to mention? That's the bias

Rapscallion
I don't need awards to back up my opinions. Oscars don't mean shit. If you want to post some other awful place, such as IMDB, to show how many people love a movie, please do. I could really care less.

Winning a few oscars means everyone thinks it's better? Great.

If being biased now means having an opinion, then I sure am.
you are biased. all of us are. so don't try denying it. some of us are trying to be objective though. try it

Bardock42
you are biased. all of us are.

I'm not.

Alfheim

Rapscallion
Originally posted by Bardock42
I'm not.
there are exceptions to every rule

cain marko
definatley an amzing film. the whole speech which is summit like "I've been told that the second before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes. i cant remember it atm but that hole speech at the end is one of my fav quotes.

dirkdirden

Fight Club
Edward Norton

Yeah..Fight Club takes it.

hahahahaha I laughed out loud literally on this one. It's funny because its true.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Did you guys know that the symbolism of the roses was meant to refer to, eh, red...red...red rose gardens and things? True.

PS. Magnolia beats the crap out of Fight Club.

idowhatiamtold
I really enjoyed the movie but I hated how sad it was. sad

Bardock42
Just clarifying, the Fight Club thing was just a joke...it did not matter what movie the comparison would have been between. Since I did not see Magnolia and though I did like Fight Club I dion't think i can given a valid statement.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Just clarifying, the Fight Club thing was just a joke...it did not matter what movie the comparison would have been between. Since I did not see Magnolia and though I did like Fight Club I dion't think i can given a valid statement.

"I dion't think i can given a valid statement" - Hahahaha, what happened? Your Babelfish let you down? Ahahahahahahahahaha!

Solo
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Did you guys know that the symbolism of the roses was meant to refer to, eh, red...red...red rose gardens and things? True.
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Your Babelfish let you down?
Hilarious.

SnakeEyes
... bump...

Still think this is a great movie.

Overrated, maybe, but still great.

drewbiefan
Is this a rude movie?

Solo
Not really.

Strangelove
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
... bump...

Still think this is a great movie.

Overrated, maybe, but still great. Not overrated. It's a fantastic movie.

Bardock42
I would say overrated. But it is hard for some movies to keep up to what they get hyped to. Fight Club comes to mind.

Rereading this thread it is apparent why Fight Club comes to mind.

Also I have no clue what happened with my last post, I apologize to any brains that good damaged having to comprehend it. I know it is late...too late for some, but well, I am deeply sorry.

wuTa
Good movie, even though its a drama, it has some dark comedy in it that cracked me up.

Strangelove
I would say overrated. But it is hard for some movies to keep up to what they get hyped to. Fight Club comes to mind. hmm the movie's absolutely brilliant, how can it be overrated? I understand the 'overrated' if you're referring to people who call it the 'end-all, be-all of movies', but it's a fantastic and poignant look into the human psyche and our concept of everyday life and society. It's f ucking brilliant.

drewbiefan
why's it 18 rated messed ?

Röland
Originally posted by drewbiefan
why's it 18 rated messed ?

Language, a little violence, sex, drugs and nudity.

ToMacco
My favorite part of that movie is when he's smoking pot, lifting weights, and listening to Bob Dylan. Because I used to do that exsact thing all the time.

drewbiefan
Nudity then is the rude partstick out tongue I always watxh 18's as i do not get influenced badly like some do, therefore it really is not a bad thing for me to watch them.

Wolfie
I saw most of it for the first time this last Thanksgiving. I enjoyed it. After the Christmas rush, I may pick it up.

vrempire
The film is really great and awesome.
Like the part when the neighbour next door, the ex-army come to the garage of Kevin Spacey.
Sadly, Kevin died in the end.

Solo
Originally posted by vrempire
Sadly, Kevin died in the end.
Big shock, I know.

Bardock42
hmm the movie's absolutely brilliant, how can it be overrated? I understand the 'overrated' if you're referring to people who call it the 'end-all, be-all of movies', but it's a fantastic and poignant look into the human psyche and our concept of everyday life and society. It's f ucking brilliant.

The second sentence of your post actually explains the rest, so...yeah.

SnakeEyes
Big shock, I know.

... He didn't say or imply that it was shocking; just sad... and it was.

Bardock42
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
... He didn't say or imply that it was shocking; just sad... and it was.

I didn't find it that sad. Slightly. But it was a very acceptable end.

Punkyhermy
Poignant film. I thoroughly enjoyed its critique of american ideas of beauty.

SnakeEyes
I didn't find it that sad. Slightly. But it was a very acceptable end.

Yeah, I can definitely see why some people wouldn't view it as sad.

But I can just as easily see why some would view it as such, also.

Strangelove
The second sentence of your post actually explains the rest, so...yeah. yeah

GiantRutgersFan
It sucked. it was pointless dribble for 2 hours then some homosexual erotica at the end.

I mean whats the point? I dont really understand it...

Strangelove
Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan
It sucked. it was pointless dribble for 2 hours then some homosexual erotica at the end.

I mean whats the point? I dont really understand it... if you don't understand it, then you have no right to criticize it

SnakeEyes
if you don't understand it, then you have no right to criticize it

Agreed. wink

I mean, for a second there, I thought he was going to have some sort of legitimate point.

Needless to say, I gave him too much credit.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.