Do you think the droids are dumb

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

samle
I dont know if the droids are dumb they have a chip that can stop them from thinking so if you remove it they will be smart right

General G
confused

Alliance
CLONES KICK A$$!

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by samle
I dont know if the droids are dumb they have a chip that can stop them from thinking so if you remove it they will be smart right

it's not the terminator...its a droid.

Alliance
CLONES

Council#13
What the f**k? A droid is basically a computer that can move around and think on it's own free will. Of course, the thinking is limited due to it's programing, but if you remove the chip, it'll probably just be a useless hunk of metal.

Kongu Dude
They're dumb, but cool. laughing out loud

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Alliance
CLONES SUCK

stick out tongue

PVS
ahhh, finally stimulating debate has returned to the pt forum\

Alliance
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
stick out tongue

There is no mad face big enough...

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Council#13
What the f**k? A droid is basically a computer that can move around and think on it's own free will. Of course, the thinking is limited due to it's programing, but if you remove the chip, it'll probably just be a useless hunk of metal.
Droids do not think.

They are programmed to perform certain tasks and they just do that.

Only living beings can think.

PVS
yet artoo and 3p0 experience fear, anger, and attachment

have you even...like...WATCHED the movies?

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by PVS
yet artoo and 3p0 experience fear, anger, and attachment

have you even...like...WATCHED the movies?
I have watched all Star Wars movies actually!

And all of the Droids (including R2D2 and 3PO) analyze the situation and respond accordingly.

You should understand that Droids are actually machines.

They demonstrate (Artificial Intelligence) and not emotions.

PVS
this is science F-I-C-T-I-O-N
get it? and in this particular science fiction story, droids have emotions and sometimes even free throught and will to disobey their master.

SpyCspider
^roger roger

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by PVS
this is science F-I-C-T-I-O-N
get it? and in this particular science fiction story, droids have emotions and sometimes even free throught and will to disobey their master.
Science FICTION stories also follow some logic and are not based on pure fantasies.

I recommend you to study a book on subject of "Artifical Intelligence".

Droids can be built and programmed for different purposes. Some types are:

- Protocol Droids: These droids are programmed to help people and provide information.

- Repair Droids: These droids repair damaged items and machines etc.

- Battle Droids: These Droids are built for combat purposes.

I have some questions!

Q1- Have you seen any Droid violating its assigned task?

Q2- Have you seen a Protocol Droid fighting in wars?

Q3- Have you seen a Battle Droid running from battle due to FEAR of being destroyed?

Q4- Have you seen 3PO trying to fight his way out from troubles?

All Droids perform their assigned tasks and thats it. They can respond to threats and human commands and thats it.

Droids are intelligent but that does not means that they actually demonstrate emotions!

PVS
my lord in heaven....how old are you?

do you know what "fiction" means?

i cant believe im actually arguing with you *leaves*

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by PVS
my lord in heaven....how old are you?

do you know what "fiction" means?

i cant believe im actually arguing with you *leaves*
FICTION is about something that does not exists so it is a work of imaginations!

A few definitions of term "Science Fiction" are:

- Imaginary writing based on current or projected scientific and technological developments.

- Fantastic stories in which scientific discoveries, space travel, life on other planets, or environmental changes form part of the plot. They are fiction.

You obviously have no clue of what you are talking about and thus you cannot understand what I am saying.

In SW: Episode II, Obi-Wan Kenobi while talking to his friend in a Cafe said something about Droids and his words are "If Droids could think that their would be no reason for us to exist".

Kongu Dude
General Grievous is Smart. smart

And he's half droid and alien.

but he don't like to be called a Droid. erm

Alliance
Grievous is also a worthless coward.

queeq
Droids have no intelligence.

PVS
r2 and 3p0 disobey orders in the PT as well as the OT.
they do this not based on logic, but out of free will.
i also dont think that GL could have possibly expressed any more that
those 2 particular droids experience fear, anger, and attachment.

have you all gone batshit?

SpyCspider
i think it's pretty clear 3PO shits himself a lot...if u're going to say tha'ts part of his programming, then fine, they programmed emotion into him. Still emotion either way.

Didn't 3PO also say it's against his programming to impersonate deities? And yet all it took was Luke to say "just tell them" and he does so willingly....

queeq
Anakin made 3PO, I bet he programmed a bit of himself into him, namely the whining....

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Science FICTION stories also follow some logic and are not based on pure fantasies.

I recommend you to study a book on subject of "Artifical Intelligence".

Droids can be built and programmed for different purposes. Some types are:

- Protocol Droids: These droids are programmed to help people and provide information.

- Repair Droids: These droids repair damaged items and machines etc.

- Battle Droids: These Droids are built for combat purposes.

I have some questions!

Q1- Have you seen any Droid violating its assigned task?

Q2- Have you seen a Protocol Droid fighting in wars?

Q3- Have you seen a Battle Droid running from battle due to FEAR of being destroyed?

Q4- Have you seen 3PO trying to fight his way out from troubles?

All Droids perform their assigned tasks and thats it. They can respond to threats and human commands and thats it.

Droids are intelligent but that does not means that they actually demonstrate emotions!

I have some answers for you.

A1 - Yes, R2 disobeyed luke and ran off to try to find OB1, he also lied and said he would show the complete message in order to get the restraining bolt off, then played dumb.

A2 - As I seem to remember, C3PO was in the arena, and perhaps fired a couple shots. And if you want to say it was just his body, the one with his head did the same.

A3 - Yes, 2 or 3 were facing OB1 in the arena and when that green crab looking monster came up, they looked at each other and ran.

A4 - shoot out his way from troubles? whatever, see A2. Does he ever have the means to get a weapon except in ep2?

Dude go watch the movies again...for all our sakes.

Jedi Priestess
There is no mad face big enough...

you could make one eek!

Oh come on! That post alteration was damn funny! laughing out loud

Tangible God
Those two droids in ROTS that let themselves be beheaded by the elevator are proof enough of their impeccable intellect.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
I have some answers for you.

A1 - Yes, R2 disobeyed luke and ran off to try to find OB1, he also lied and said he would show the complete message in order to get the restraining bolt off, then played dumb.

A2 - As I seem to remember, C3PO was in the arena, and perhaps fired a couple shots. And if you want to say it was just his body, the one with his head did the same.

A3 - Yes, 2 or 3 were facing OB1 in the arena and when that green crab looking monster came up, they looked at each other and ran.

A4 - shoot out his way from troubles? whatever, see A2. Does he ever have the means to get a weapon except in ep2?

Dude go watch the movies again...for all our sakes.
Dude! Droids can interact with their envoirnment through sensors and determine the position of opponents and can analyze their response and then determine their own actions/responses accordingly.

I bet that you might have not heard about the concept of "Localization" in Robotics.

Droids can determine situations in which they are threatened and can respond to them by either retreating from scene or fight the threat.

Is this very hard to understand?

Also, 3PO and R2D2 had worked side by side for a long time to understand each other and develope some sort of connection.

About 3PO in Battle of Geonosis!

3PO's head was fiited on a body of a battle Droid which was Auto-programmed to fight in the battle regardless of a head or not.

And he could not control that body due to his so called "emotions" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Let me explain you a different case!

In Episode III, when Obi-Wan and Anakin fight against the crew of General Grevious on the Ship Deck. You might have noticed the actions of some special Driods that were experienced in Melee combat.

One of those Droids got its head chopped off by Obi-Wan but the body of that Droid still fought with efficiency against Obi-Wan unless it was struck down too!

This happened due to work of "Sensors" in the that Droid.

Some of you people surely need read book on "Artifical Intelligence"!

Kongu Dude
Grievous is also a worthless coward.
getout

queeq
You made Kongu mad.

Kongu Dude
Indeed I'm mad. furious

Darth Subjekt
Dude! Droids can interact with their envoirnment through sensors and determine the position of opponents and can analyze their response and then determine their own actions/responses accordingly.

I bet that you might have not heard about the concept of "Localization" in Robotics.

Droids can determine situations in which they are threatened and can respond to them by either retreating from scene or fight the threat.

Also, 3PO and R2D2 had worked side by side for a long time to understand each other and develope some sort of connection.

About 3PO in Battle of Geonosis!

3PO's head was fiited on a body of a battle Droid which was Auto-programmed to fight in the battle regardless of a head or not.

And he could not control that body due to his so called "emotions" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Let me explain you a different case!

In Episode III, when Obi-Wan and Anakin fight against the crew of General Grevious on the Ship Deck. You might have noticed the actions of some special Driods that were experienced in Melee combat.

One of those Droids got its head chopped off by Obi-Wan but the body of that Droid still fought with efficiency against Obi-Wan unless it was struck down too!

This happened due to work of "Sensors" in the that Droid.

Some of you people surely need read book on "Artifical Intelligence"!

you asked questions and i answered them, and if a droid says "uh oh" that implies fear. YOU have to understand that earthly robotics have absolutely NOTHING to do with Star Wars technology. Its just not the same. Lucas has said as much about giving his droids "emotion". You gonna sit there and say 3PO NEVER acted scared or displayed fear? You're a moron if you say no. Why would a droid "hate" flying or believe a starship to be "dreadful"? Last i checked Hate was an emotion and dreadful implies, yet again, a sense of fear, and/or dislike.
Seriously, you're fighting uphill here.

Terminators had AI, no fear, no emotions, nothing like that. he just did the job it was programmed to do. Tell me how the terminator is AT ALL the same as a droid in the SW universe...

PVS
just forget it. in my time at this forum i have come to the realisation long ago
that when someone tries to apply real world concepts to a debate on science fiction,
ESPECIALLY to star wars, its an uphill battle talking sense to them.
...90 degrees uphill mind you

Council#13
Droids do not think.

They are programmed to perform certain tasks and they just do that.

Only living beings can think.

That's what I meant.

Alliance
Originally posted by PVS
just forget it. in my time at this forum i have come to the realisation long ago
that when someone tries to apply real world concepts to a debate on science fiction,
ESPECIALLY to star wars, its an uphill battle talking sense to them.
...90 degrees uphill mind you

Not true. I've taken academic classes on science fiction. Good science fiction (like all fiction) speaks to the real world. I wrote a 20 page paper, among others, about the parallels between the progression of Cold War militarism in the US and American military science fiction (sub genre) from that time.

Granted, fiction involves the suspesion of some real world concepts (sound in space). However, to deny that fiction is totally outside the realm of realism is not understanding the point of fiction in general.

PVS
Not true. I've taken academic classes on science fiction. Good science fiction (like all fiction) speaks to the real world. I wrote a 20 page paper, among others, about the parallels between the progression of Cold War militarism in the US and American military science fiction (sub genre) from that time.

that falls within the realm of interesting storytelling. i refer to real world science/physics/technology. dont blend it all together. of coarse some real world concepts need to be applied or star wars would be nothing but 2 hours of a blank screen and no sound.

Granted, fiction involves the suspesion of some real world concepts (sound in space). However, to deny that fiction is totally outside the realm of realism is not understanding the point of fiction in general.

no, it implies the selective elimination of real world concepts, as well as selective inclusion.

if anyone would be so obtuse as to deny that r2 and 3p0 experienced emotion (most notably fear and affection, as well as excitement and even humor) and exhibited the free will to disobey direct orders (for example, their order to stay on the ship in ep2 to name one of a few) then i cannot help but laugh at their desperate clinging to their own wishes of whats represented in the films.
may as well tell me that luke's a woman and leia's a wookie because it seems just as ridiculous to me.

im sorry if i dont feel like arguing with someone who denies the most blatant truths of lucas' story.

you can argue that a droids free will is not as defined as that of an organic being, as they are constantly exhibited as being torn between their will and their programming, however to deny what is simply spelled out for us on screen and in dialogue is laughable. they are more than just programmed machines, as lucas had intended. why? because how else could 2 machines as central characters be even remotely interesting and amusing? they are loved because of their human characteristics, most notably their attitudes

Darth Subjekt
They display anger - "gift, what gift? *hits r2*, affection - i believe that r2 nudged up on luke's leg like wickett did to han, fear - just watch 3PO, but more specifically, how bout him screaming as loud as he can when luke simply levitated his chair on endor. R2's little scream he does...there's no way to type it out, but the loud one he does like 4 times in the opening of ROTS and throughout the rest of the saga. Again the 2 droids in AOTC clones, they look up, look at each other, much like humans would do, then they run. 3PO being taken throughout Jabba's palace, "Don't leave me....oooohhhh" Yea, no emotions huh?

If the programming of a droid is in its body, then why give it a head? Didn't 3PO's body with the BD head seem to funtion? Yes, only the BD said its legs were stiff and must need maintenance, so stop it. And if you're so hooked on the "reality" of it, then please explain how 3PO was blind until Anakin simply plugged a light into his face...a sensor wouldn't quite work like that. How can you stop a laser from traveling beyond 3 feet? Have explosions in space? sound in space? blood from a cauterized would? Any number of things you see in SW? IT'S NOT REAL!!!!! To take a page from Ben Affleck's book, "Fictional characters, fic-tion-al characters, am i, am i gettin through to ya at all?"

Accept the fact that in SW, the droids have emotions.

*goes to drink a beer with PVS and drink away the frustrations of this thread*

Tangible God
I've always been curious as to how 3PO knows what a nightmare is.

Sesse

Star Wars droids are either dumb or a bunch of cowards:

GG: "Stay at your stations!"
*Obi and Anakin kill bunch of droids*
Blue-headed droid to another: "Run!
*away they run*
GG "Dont bother with them. Keep the ship at orbit!"
Droids: "Yes sir!"

Grievous gave them a direct order. Stay at your stations. Apparently droid forgot it within seconds.

Alliance
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
you could make one eek!

Oh come on! That post alteration was damn funny! laughing out loud

ninja

queeq
Alliance agrees.

Kongu Dude
No one's online. speechless

Alliance
Originally posted by Sesse
Grievous gave them a direct order. Stay at your stations. Apparently droid forgot it within seconds.

Since the clones were so effing superior, the CIS integrated emotions programming into the droids as supposedly it made them fight better. Emotion has two sides.

Personally, crying battledroids suck.

queeq
laughing out loud

Kongu Dude
laughing out loud

Darth Subjekt
laughing out loud

queeq
Alliance made us laugh.

Alliance
laughing out loud

Captain REX
It depends on the droid, I suppose. Battle droids are dumb, whereas R2 is a witty little rascal, ain't he?

And SWLegend, you're bringing too much real world logic into this. If we followed that real world logic with Star Wars, you would have entirely silent space battles, and lightsabers would not block each other.

Darth Subjekt
droids in SW have emotion and some degree of brains...BD and SBD are just meant to be dumber than the good guys...just like the bad guys cant aim while shooting...just a movie...

Captain REX
Mmhmm.

queeq
mmmm...

Alliance
MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.........m.......

PVS
*close*

Alliance
Queeq has trouble knowing when to do that.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Captain REX
It depends on the droid, I suppose. Battle droids are dumb, whereas R2 is a witty little rascal, ain't he?

And SWLegend, you're bringing too much real world logic into this. If we followed that real world logic with Star Wars, you would have entirely silent space battles, and lightsabers would not block each other.
Obi-Wan himself stated in AOTC when talking to his friend that "if Droids could think then their would be no reason for us to exist. Would it?"

Now, emotions expressed by Droids are basically A.I. embedded in them. Star Wars is set in a very advanced time so programming of those Droids would be very advanced just like that.

PVS
"ZOMG!!! *parrot off-the-cuff remark as fact denying all elements of story related to droids*"

go get laid

queeq
Hmmm agression by PVS... I might as well close before he starts throwing chairs again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.