Authority vs The Defenders

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

complexbrother
Authority
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Coup01.jpg

vs

The Defenders
http://www.comicbookresources.com/images/previews/covers/defenders_haley_color.jpg

the setup ... Dr. Strange looks throughh portal a nd sees a world ruled by what he belives to be a murderious group called the Authority, and call his teamates into action, he teleports the Defenders onto the Authority's earth to take out what he conciders a absoluty corrupt regime by any and all means .

Do the Defenders have the chops to take out the Authority ?

DarkCrawler
Depends. The Authority are certainly more ruthless, and more willing to kill. They also have more manpower...

Depends on the matchups, really, if the Doctor is put against Namor or Hulk, he obviously kills them in seconds, but he probably would have to go against Doctor Strange (who IMO would beat Doctor).

Namor could be able to take down Midnighter/Swift pretty fast, but Apollo would beat him because of the heat blasts, and Jack Hawksmoor would be hard to catch.

Nearly all characters here are probably fast enough to stay out of Hulk's reach. I guess he could be able to fight Hawksmoor by simply smashing everything in a city that comes against him. If he gets close to Apollo/Midnighter/Swift, he can take them, but I doubt he can ever catch them.

Then we got Silver Surfer. He can pretty much beat any of these characters in the span of seconds, besides Doctor. Apollo will be taken out by draining all the solar energy. Midnighter/Swift are not really a threat, even. Engineer might pose some threat, but nothing that difficult. Jack can't beat him either, really.

All in all, I would give it 6/10 for Defenders.

DigiMark007
I'm assuming you mean current Authority.

Probably the Authority, but Surfer complicates things.

Potentially, the Doctor is more powerful than Doc Strange (yes, you heard me right). And Jenny is freaking uber too.

Hulk and Namor are basically non factors. Angie, Jack, Apollo, etc. could take either of them. Hell, even MN'er could annoy them for a while while the big boys decide the fight.

Surfer could drain Apollo easily, but the Doctor could turn Hulk/Namor into trees too. I'm assuming both parties would have some shielding from the magic-types to prevent such quick disasters.

Then it comes down to whether or not you think Jenny/Doctor could take out Strange/Surfer. But the Authority has the advantage with the rest of the teams (the non-ubers) so they might help some too.

I could see Swift/MN'er annoying Hulk and Namor while Jack, Angie, and Apollo help Big D and Jenny take out the Defenders' big 2.

So the numbers advantage wins. If it were a straight 4-v-4, I'd probably give it to the Denfenders.

But Authority 6/10.

{edit} I read DC's assessment. True for the most part, but he's not including Jenny.

DarkCrawler
The picture didn't have Jenny, so I thought that the team was what was pictured. Jenny Quantum would probably twist the fight for Authority.

Current Doctor seems to be more ruthless then the former one, too. But IMO Current Doctor would fall to the experienced and seasoned Sorcerer Supreme of the Universe pretty fast. Even if he has the combined powers of each Shaman before him.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
The picture didn't have Jenny, so I thought that the team was what was pictured. Jenny Quantum would probably twist the fight for Authority.

Current Doctor seems to be more ruthless then the former one, too.

Fair enough. I just went with current Authority because I wanted to say that they'd win.

wink

Scoobless
Man... Silver Surfer is a beast.... almost every team he gets put into will win just because he's there.

smile

DarkCrawler
Indeed. Especially on Defenders where they already have Strange. Two planet-destroyers on same team...blink

BTW, nice Silver Surfer sig Digi. big grin

Validus
I would lean towards The Authority.

DigiMark007
BTW, nice Silver Surfer sig Digi. big grin

Thanks. And I love the animation on your avy. thumb up

DarkCrawler
Thanks. smile

With Jenny Quantum, Authority probably gets slight edge..depending on how fast Strange and Surfer act. Powerful as Jenny and Doctor are, Strange has been doing this for 5000+ years. And there is no feat of theirs I havent seen Strange match or exceed (Although did Jenny create an dimension or something once?). erm

And add Surfer to the mix...

Although like said before, Authority is so ruthless, that they make Namor and Hulk look like peace-loving pacifists who kiss puppies and plant flowers on their free time.

DigiMark007
Yeah, Jenny created an entire dimension populated with her past selves so she could converse with them.

And to be honest, Strange has countered most of what The Doctor could do, but I also think Strange lacks a bit in the offensive category. Big D could simply give himself Class Ridiculous strength or grow to the size of a city if he wanted to be a brawler or something (besides his regular matter manip), and if Strange let's his guard down with shields on everyone, Hulk and Namor will be organic cookies within seconds.

DarkCrawler
Strange has destroyed planets before, knocked Death itself on her back and made Galactus fall from a building...he doesn't lack in offensive. wink

I'll see if I can find the scans somewhere. Look around at Strange Respect Thread if you want. big grin

doctorstrongbad
I think the Defenders can win this battle. It would be a great battle to watch. The Defenders are out numbered in this match.

Galan777
IMO the Authority take the slight advantage...

xmarksthespot
The Authority.

UniOmni
I'd put it with the defenders honestly, barring the highest showings of both the Doctor and Strange.

The Doctor created a freaking universe!!!

And Jenny Q is something special, but i do see Surfer trumping her day to day power levels.

I see Midnighter dying fast, due to being an overall prick. Hulk or Namor both won't take that for long.

Apollo is good, but i don't see his hv being a problem for anyone but Namor here.

Swift is like Hawkgirl without the plot device mace, imo.

God of Cities is hard to peg sometimes.

But i'd say that Surfer could put a hurt on him with a stray blast of pc.

The biggest guns are easily Jenny, and Jeoron for the rule makers.

Surfer and Strange for the bulwark squad.

I wanna say the defenders, but the Doctor is so impressive, and Jack varies so much.....

Arghh!@

complexbrother
I still say the Authority has this in the bag.

don't shiv
Doctor creates 2 psi links

engineer + jenny

apollo + midnighter

Doc Lunges at Strange taking him to his heartland where Doctors Past hang.

Jenny/Engineer combine Jenny's power with Angies brain to show Surfer a good time

Apollo and Midnighter choreograph a high speed collision between Namor & Hulk. Slice and Dice.

Swift & Hawksmoor have the oversight / free roles.

Authoritae!

complexbrother
bump

endrict
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I'm assuming you mean current Authority.

Probably the Authority, but Surfer complicates things.

Potentially, the Doctor is more powerful than Doc Strange (yes, you heard me right). And Jenny is freaking uber too.

Hulk and Namor are basically non factors. Angie, Jack, Apollo, etc. could take either of them. Hell, even MN'er could annoy them for a while while the big boys decide the fight.

Surfer could drain Apollo easily, but the Doctor could turn Hulk/Namor into trees too. I'm assuming both parties would have some shielding from the magic-types to prevent such quick disasters.

Then it comes down to whether or not you think Jenny/Doctor could take out Strange/Surfer. But the Authority has the advantage with the rest of the teams (the non-ubers) so they might help some too.

I could see Swift/MN'er annoying Hulk and Namor while Jack, Angie, and Apollo help Big D and Jenny take out the Defenders' big 2.

So the numbers advantage wins. If it were a straight 4-v-4, I'd probably give it to the Denfenders.

But Authority 6/10.

{edit} I read DC's assessment. True for the most part, but he's not including Jenny.

Well put, Sir.

endrict
Is Namor around water?? if not then Midnighter can take him down.

MightyEInherjar
Bump.

Was going to make this thread after running into a little Wizard article I found, ranking them as the top team around.

Then again, it was from Wizards...

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by MightyEInherjar
Bump.

Was going to make this thread after running into a little Wizard article I found, ranking them as the top team around.

Then again, it was from Wizards...

Which them?

LordFear
Yeah SS is the determining factor. I mean a freaking cosmic being is pretty nice to have on your team

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by LordFear
Yeah SS is the determining factor. I mean a freaking cosmic being is pretty nice to have on your team

There is Strange too . . .

Of course the Athority can fight back thanks to the Doctor.

LordFear
Is Wizard a credible source or not?
Is it accepted in the forum as credible reference?

Symmetric Chaos
Is Wizard a credible source or not?

srug

Is it accepted in the forum as credible reference?

No

xmeat
look at huc still not getting any respect its a real shame.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by xmeat
look at huc still not getting any respect its a real shame.

Well since both teams have high level matter and energy manipulators everyone else is kinda useless.

LordFear
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
srug

No

thanx, good to know

Faceman
Originally posted by Scoobless
Man... Silver Surfer is a beast.... almost every team he gets put into will win just because he's there.

smile Lets ban Surfer, from the versus forum... eek!

DigiMark007
Huc not getting respect? No, getting turned into butterflies isn't really a good way to increase one's "respect".

stick out tongue

MightyEInherjar
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Which them?

The Authority. The JLA was right behind them, followed by the Avengers in 3rd and Defenders in 4th.

IMO, Defenders is THE team to beat if you want to be #1. I can post a little about the article if it's wanted.

MightyEInherjar
From Wizards on The Authority vs Defenders:

Seems to me like they forgot Surfer existed, or that he could turn all the buildings in the area into giant fungal villages ala Smurfland.

Anyways, like I said, it's Wizards, so take what you will from it.

long pig
What has Doctor done?

grey fox
Originally posted by long pig
What has Doctor done?

Some pretty insane stuff , turned peoples bones into Cologne , manipulate matter , cross dimensions ect etc

long pig
I mean stuff that Strange doesn't do in his sleep. I mean, he's got every shaman in him but Strange has every Sorcerer Supreme in him.

DigiMark007
FYI, Wizard's utter crap. Never listen to them when it comes to fights....even though they said the Authority wins.

Fair enough lp, though I honestly think their feats are similarly uber.

The Doctor has:
- telekinetically held all of Italy in place while the Earth continued on its axis
- Turned massive groups of super-powered beings into cupcakes, cologne, dice, simply disintegrated them, etc. Anyone without magical protection would be a tree in the opening seconds
- Cut off a telepathic link that a guy had over 70% of the Earth's population. Then grew himself to the size of a skyscaper and ate the guy.
- Time traveled with a thought (can also dimension-hop just as easily).
- Slowed down time in a city-wide area
- Flooded a person with the pain of every human being that has ever existed.
- all kinds of impressive telekinetic and matter manip feats (too many to list).
- The kicker is that he doesn't need spells and incantations. He thinks this stuff, and it happens instantly.

It's a good fight, no doubt. Could go either way imo. Strange's experience might pull him the majority, but it wouldn't be easy or quick. But if they stalemate for a while (and Jenny/Surfer as well, which imo is a toss-up) the others in the fight will overwhelm Hulk/Namor and be the deciding factor.

DarkCrawler
I'd rate Doctor Strange's feats higher then Doctor's myself. Negating Infinity Gauntlets effects with a gesture, knocking Death on her back etc...Long pig probably knows more feats, but those are which come on top of my mind. Plus he is way more experienced.

I give the Authority majority if Jenny is included, though. With the teams pictured in the opening posts, Defenders win.

DigiMark007
I'd rate Doctor Strange's feats higher then Doctor's myself. Negating Infinity Gauntlets effects with a gesture, knocking Death on her back etc...Long pig probably knows more feats, but those are which come on top of my mind. Plus he is way more experienced.

I give the Authority majority if Jenny is included, though. With the teams pictured in the opening posts, Defenders win.

Co-signed for the most part.

I would rate his high-end feats higher than Doctor too.

But The Doctor just has to think of stuff, not use incantations, gestures, spells, artifacts, etc. Played well, he could have Strange on the defensive for quite a while. And he's potentially much more versatile because he's not limited by spellbooks and such, he's only limited by his own thoughts, which contain the collective experience of the human race (it's unclear whether it's all humanity or just past Doctors...there's evidence for both though).

And if we factor in CIS, Strange wouldn't go for OHK turn-into-tables in the openings seconds. Habib would (or Jeroen, if we're going by the pic in the first post).

But yeah, sans Jenny Q, Defenders win. With her, Authority wins.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.