Speed required to become invisible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soujaboy
So while I was at school the other day I asked my science teacher how fast one would have to be in order to be invisible to the human eye. This is what I got from his answer.........

There is "true" invisibility, that happens when an object that moves faster than the speed of light. However this may not be possible if you know Einsteins theory of relativity ( E= mc2, where c=speed of light). As you move at or near the speed of light light, you mass becomes infinitely large, which means you would need an infinite source of increasing energy in order to keep moving. However Einsteins theory means nothing in comic context.

He told me there is also the ability to be "invisible" to the eye and not be moving at the speed of light. This is an optical illusion-- the object is invisible if it moves faster than the eye/brain can process the images.

Perception - the registration of physically present stimuli.

We only see things that move every 1/24 of a second (we don't really see motion jut the illusion of movement, if it moves.... this is only the persistence of the previous images). If the object moves faster than 1/24th of a second, than it will be invisible to the human eye.

I then I asked him, If someone was running down your street how fast they would have to be in order to be invisible to your eye's. He responded saying in order for something to be truly invisible to the human eye it would have to be moving at the speed of light. The thing that gives us the ability to see things, is the reflection of light upon objects. If someone or something was moving faster than light the would truly be invisible due to the fact that no light could reflect upon them. So yes, If something was running in front of you and they were invisible to your eye they would have to be running above the speed of light, other wise they wee never truly invisible in the first place it would only be an optical illusion.

Does anyone else have any theory's?

batdude123
Originally posted by Soujaboy
So while I was at school the other day I asked my science teacher how fast one would have to be in order to be invisible to the human eye. This is what I got from his answer.........

There is "true" invisibility, that happens when an object that moves faster than the speed of light. However this may not be possible if you know Einsteins theory of relativity ( E= mc2, where c=speed of light). As you move at or near the speed of light light, you mass becomes infinitely large, which means you would need an infinite source of increasing energy in order to keep moving. However Einsteins theory means nothing in comic context.

He told me there is also the ability to be "invisible" to the eye and not be moving at the speed of light. This is an optical illusion-- the object is invisible if it moves faster than the eye/brain can process the images.

Perception - the registration of physically present stimuli.

We only see things that move every 1/24 of a second (we don't really see motion jut the illusion of movement, if it moves.... this is only the persistence of the previous images). If the object moves faster than 1/24th of a second, than it will be invisible to the human eye.

I then I asked him, If someone was running down your street how fast they would have to be in order to be invisible to your eye's. He responded saying in order for something to be truly invisible to the human eye it would have to be moving at the speed of light. The thing that gives us the ability to see things, is the reflection of light upon objects. If someone or something was moving faster than light the would truly be invisible due to the fact that no light could reflect upon them. So yes, If something was running in front of you and they were invisible to your eye they would have to be running above the speed of light, other wise they wee never truly invisible in the first place it would only be an optical illusion.

Does anyone else have any theory's?

They don't have to be light speed. laughing out loud Yes, we see the reflection of light upon things, however that doesn't mean our brains work at light speed. All something would have to do in order to be invisible, is move faster than the brain could perceive. You don't have to be going at light speed.

King Kandy
Originally posted by batdude123
They don't have to be light speed. laughing out loud Yes, we see the reflection of light upon things, however that doesn't mean our brains work at light speed. All something would have to do in order to be invisible, is move faster than the brain could perceive. You don't have to be going at light speed.
That's what he said.

But to actualy BE invisible, you'd have to be moving faster then light.

batdude123
Originally posted by King Kandy
That's what he said.

But to actualy BE invisible, you'd have to be moving faster then light.

I know, but he's trying to prove that Thor was running lightspeed when he accomplished that feat, but in actuality, he was invisible to the "human eye." That short, little phrase makes all the difference in the world.

He was doing nothing more than running faster than their brains could perceive.

King Kandy
I know, but he's trying to prove that Thor was running lightspeed when he accomplished that feat, but in actuality, he was invisible to the "human eye." That short, little phrase makes all the difference in the world.

He was doing nothing more than running faster than their brains could perceive.
Yes. Of course, you're hardly a Thor expert.

chris_64256
Two threads now this is getting a little silly...yawn

batdude123
Yes. Of course, you're hardly a Thor expert.

And you would know this how, exactly? I have plenty of Thor comics, son.

Soujaboy
Originally posted by chris_64256
Two threads now this is getting a little silly...yawn

Yes Chris because we know you claiming that a well fed Galactus is the only being capable of defeating Flash isn't in the slight bit silly.

King Kandy
Yes Chris because we know you claiming that a well fed Galactus is the only being capable of defeating Flash isn't in the slight bit silly.
It is when you compare it to the "Kamikaze Eternity" thing.

King Kandy
And you would know this how, exactly? I have plenty of Thor comics, son.
You said Batman 1million would beat King Thor...

batdude123
You said Batman 1million would beat King Thor...

It was actually Rune King Thor. And that was a long time ago.

chris_64256
Yes Chris because we know you claiming that a well fed Galactus is the only being capable of defeating Flash isn't in the slight bit silly. When in the hell did I say that boy.. I never even commented on a Galactus thread kid..

Soujaboy
When in the hell did I say that boy.. I never even commented on a Galactus thread kid..

Actually you did. You quoted the person who said as much in a manner that you agreed.

However that's beside the point, we need to get back on topic.

chris_64256
Really show me I think I would know:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=429507&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

I dont even have a post in that thread.

chris_64256
If this is what your talking about you just owned yourself.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=429544&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=3
You can clearly see I'm making fun of the Idea genius notice the pic..

Soujaboy
If this is what your talking about you just owned yourself.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=429544&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=3
You can clearly see I'm making fun of the Idea genius notice the pic..

You posted it, don't jump bad because your post was misunderstood.

batdude123
You posted it, don't jump bad because your post was misunderstood.

How could you not tell that was a joke? He had a "Baseketball" gif in his post. laughing out loud

chris_64256
You posted it, don't jump bad because your post was misunderstood. Once again making a fool out of yourself grow up..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.