Who was the father of medcine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

heru
What Historical figure, earn the right to be called the father of medicine.

Storm
Hippocrates.

heru
Originally posted by Storm
Hippocrates. I'm sorry to tell you, but he was not. Even he give praise to a historical figure with more significants then himself.

King Kandy
Galen.

Or maybe Sushruta.

Darth Macabre
Imhotep

Alliance
Asklepios

heru
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Imhotep My friend you hit it right on the button.

heru
Originally posted by Alliance
Asklepios Asclepius (Imhotep) is the name the Greeks gave him. After there encounters with Egypt. Hippocrates acknowledges him in the Hippocratic oath. As Asclepius.

Alliance
As the Greco-Roman tradition did more with medicine than the Egyptians, I prefer to use his Greek name as his primary one.

lil bitchiness
Im inclined to agree with Storm. Hippocrates is the father of medicine, because a lot of things he came up with are STILL practiced today, as opposed to Imhotep, who was an influence in what was to come.

King Kandy
He came first, but he isn't that great...

WrathfulDwarf
In popular opinion is Hippocrates.

If you do some research you'll find Paracelsus to be most likely candidate for father of medicine. He was the first to issue prescription drugs (as we call it now in our time) However, his image is tainted do to the fact he practice occultism and alchemy.

heru
As the Greco-Roman tradition did more with medicine than the Egyptians, I prefer to use his Greek name as his primary one. Who do you think there foundation was build off? The Romans learned from the Greeks and the Greeks learned from the Egyptians. Whats also funny is, the Romans also acknowledge Aesculapius, as there father of medicine as well. One can change the name a million times, but the DNA remains the same. So don't be in denial my friend open your mind and give in.

heru
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
In popular opinion is Hippocrates.

If you do some research you'll find Paracelsus to be most likely candidate for father of medicine. He was the first to issue prescription drugs (as we call it now in our time) However, his image is tainted do to the fact he practice occultism and alchemy. That's the same as saying, modern man invented the wheel because he made a tire. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Everything has a foundation, and from the foundation progress is made.

Alliance
Originally posted by heru
Who do you think there foundation was build off? The Romans learned from the Greeks and the Greeks learned from the Egyptians. Whats also funny is, the Romans also acknowledge Aesculapius, as there father of medicine as well. One can change the name a million times, but the DNA remains the same. So don't be in denial my friend open your mind and give in.

Oh please. Is "Video Killed the Radio Star" the best music video ever because it was the first?

No.

heru
Whatever, You no what's crazy. How is it the very people you give credit to, gives it to someone else? Ironic isn't it.

King Kandy
Oh please. Is "Video Killed the Radio Star" the best music video ever because it was the first?

No.
GAH! Now it's stuck in my head!

grey fox
Asclepius (Imhotep) is the name the Greeks gave him. After there encounters with Egypt. Hippocrates acknowledges him in the Hippocratic oath. As Asclepius.

I'm pretty sure Aklepilus is the name of a healer god.

Tangible God
Who do you think there foundation was build off? The Romans learned from the Greeks and the Greeks learned from the Egyptians. Whats also funny is, the Romans also acknowledge Aesculapius, as there father of medicine as well. One can change the name a million times, but the DNA remains the same. So don't be in denial my friend open your mind and give in. If you already knew the one and only answer, why did you make a thread asking everybody?

Penelope
I truely hope that they find the tomb of Imhotep. It would be the most spectacular find in history at this point.

Fishy
Whatever, You no what's crazy. How is it the very people you give credit to, gives it to someone else? Ironic isn't it.

Somebody being first doesn't make him the most important person. You would hardly call the inventor of the wheel the inventor of cars would you?

Eis
Originally posted by Fishy
Somebody being first doesn't make him the most important person. You would hardly call the inventor of the wheel the inventor of cars would you?
That is probably the crappest analogy I've read today.

Asclepius is indeed the Greek god of Medicine. People sometimes use it interchangeably with Imhotep though. Makes more sense to me to simply call him by his Egyptian name though, seeing as he is Egyptian and such.

Fishy
Originally posted by Eis
That is probably the crappest analogy I've read today.

Asclepius is indeed the Greek god of Medicine. People sometimes use it interchangeably with Imhotep though. Makes more sense to me to simply call him by his Egyptian name though, seeing as he is Egyptian and such.

Why?

There is a huge difference between a wheel and a car, although the car requires the wheel.

He was good with medicine and created a foundation. That doesn't mean that he's all of a sudden the father of medicine. Of course people required the foundation but that alone isn't enough

Penelope

Fishy
Why?

There is a huge difference between a wheel and a car, although the car requires the wheel.

He was good with medicine and created a foundation. That doesn't mean that he's all of a sudden the father of medicine. Of course people required the foundation but that alone isn't enough

Actually you were right forget about this....

charlemagne9746

heru
Originally posted by Tangible God
If you already knew the one and only answer, why did you make a thread asking everybody?

To enlightened those who did not know, and from what I see some people did not know.

heru

No I would not, the car is a different invention all together, but with out the wheels what would be the purpose of the car. The car being made is just progress of what the the chariot or horse and carriage was, minus the horses. Both of those vehicles required the wheel to function as well.
There is a cause and effect to everything with out the cause how could there be an effect?

Devil King
This question has always confused me. There's no doubt that Imhotep (who was elevated to god status after his death. this is one reason the greeks called him by the name for their god of healing, even though Asclepius, himself, was never a real man.) predated many of the more commonly recognized "fathers of medicine", but how is it that medicine was "founded" anywhere or by any one man?

The differences in medicine and medical procedure are as varied as the number of civlizations that practiced them. And in other cases, we've seen that the same procedure is used in many different cultures because it's the common sense way to do it.

IHateCaesar
Ophicius

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.