Reccomended/Favorite Horror Films?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Well, what are they?

I'm not a huge horror fan, but I have the urge right now to go pick up some movies/rent some, so I was wondering what you guys liked a lot.

deathbycorn
Candyman
Dog Soldiers
Evil Bong
From Dusk Till Dawn
Predator
Session 9
Undead

Impediment
Evil Dead 2
The Changeling
The Fly (1986)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
The Hills have Eyes (2005)
High Tension

Espantada23
The Sentinel (1977)
An American Haunting
The Entity
The Unnameable (if that's how it's spelled,god I suck)

vintageSW77
The Unameable also known in my house as THE UNWATCHABLE

SUSPIRIA
TCM
DAWN OF THE DEAD 79
FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS
CARRIE
EVIL DEAD
THE BEYOND
SHIVERS

and

HALLOWEEN 3 SEASON OF THE WITCH!!!!!!!!

Espantada23
Hey I liked that movie

Solo
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The Evil Dead

SnakeEyes
Thanks guys!

I will have to check some of these out.

Keep em coming!

deathbycorn
Reccomended International Horror Movies:

Island of the Damned (Spain)
Visions of Suffering (Russia)
I Stand Alone (France)
Calvaire (France)
Audition (Japan)

vintageSW77
Originally posted by Espantada23
Hey I liked that movie

So does my Girlfriend and shes wrong too

Big Sexy
Depends on what type.

Halloween, A nightmare on Elm street, Friday the 13th are some of the best slashers.

I recommend

Evil Dead
Suspiria
Deep Red
The Beyond
The Gates of Hell
Omen (original)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Hellraiser

Deano
werewolf movies:

american werewolf in london
the howling

Vampire movies:

fright night
lost boys
interview with the vampire

zombie movies:

dawn of the dead (78 version)
return of the living dead
zombie flesh eaters
night of the living dead

other horrors:

evil dead
hellraiser
nightmare on elm street
demons
tenerbre
halloween
braindead
the shining

Espantada23
Originally posted by vintageSW77
So does my Girlfriend and shes wrong too

To each his or her own.

NormaBates
Day of the dead
The texas chainsaw massacre 2003 (Yes, everybody i dare to say it)
Return of the living dead.
The thing.

Vim
If you want more psychological thrills (stuff that will really mess with your head) rather than straight up Gore and freaky scares. Then I recommend Saw (has gore, but the setup is good), What Lies Beneath (really freaky thrills), The Sixth Sense (the end is the best), The Village (for a real mind ****). Check out the Original Children of the Corn and Pet Semetary, and Child's Play for some real weirdness and creepiness. If you want some real cheap thrills, and if you live out in the country in the woods, then Blair Witch Project is actually a pretty good scare, be sure to watch it either by yourself or with only a couple of other people in the whole house and like at about 1 or 2 in the morning... Then its scary, but any other time ... just forget it, for a movie it sucks but at the time it came out with all the internet hooplah was a decent scare but anyway... That's just me. Like or leave it.

Espantada23
Last House on the Left
The Wicker Man (original)
Re-Animater

vintageSW77
Originally posted by Vim
If you want more psychological thrills (stuff that will really mess with your head) rather than straight up Gore and freaky scares. Then I recommend Saw (has gore, but the setup is good), What Lies Beneath (really freaky thrills), The Sixth Sense (the end is the best), The Village (for a real mind ****). Check out the Original Children of the Corn and Pet Semetary, and Child's Play for some real weirdness and creepiness. If you want some real cheap thrills, and if you live out in the country in the woods, then Blair Witch Project is actually a pretty good scare, be sure to watch it either by yourself or with only a couple of other people in the whole house and like at about 1 or 2 in the morning... Then its scary, but any other time ... just forget it, for a movie it sucks but at the time it came out with all the internet hooplah was a decent scare but anyway... That's just me. Like or leave it.

Too mainstream
U need to check out those movies at the back of Blockbuster...the ones gathering dust with the words directed by Argento,Cronenberg,Coscarelli,Henenlotter etc on the covers.

vintageSW77
For anyone yet to Suspiria here is a taster
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ho9_V9inJRA&mode=related&search=
CLASSIC

And heres a neat little video of the movie put to a piece of music by THE TOADIES(whoever they are)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aa3LnkisUng&search=suspiria%20dario%20argento

deathbycorn
Suspiria is so overrated it's not even funny.

vintageSW77
I find that hard to take from someone who rates the Children Of The Corn series!!

papabeard
The WickerMan
Witchfinder General
Friday the 13th
The Thing
The Burning
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
Zombie Flesh Eaters

Vim
Too mainstream
U need to check out those movies at the back of Blockbuster...the ones gathering dust with the words directed by Argento,Cronenberg,Coscarelli,Henenlotter etc on the covers.

Too mainstream?? Saw was made with a very tight budget, and found its niche, and then since it was break from the usual "Urrgghh Bigger slasher man chase pretty girl, uurrrr... stab, stab..." Which from previews of those other Susipira...??? WTF?? That was the stupidest crap I've ever seen!! mad I was just recommending some of MY favorite horror/scary movies, no need for you to comment on whether they are "too mainstream" or not ... I have good reasons why I like the movies I like... Do you ?? confused

vintageSW77
Yes but its a Friday and there is beer to be drank and frankly i wouldnt waste my time putting across the merits of Argento with someone who rates M Night Shaymalans "ooh i wonder when the BIG twist is coming" cert 12 pics and thinks WHAT LIES BENEATH is a scary movie.

deathbycorn
Yes but its a Friday and there is beer to be drank and frankly i wouldnt waste my time putting across the merits of Argento with someone who rates M Night Shaymalans "ooh i wonder when the BIG twist is coming" cert 12 pics and thinks WHAT LIES BENEATH is a scary movie.
Bro who are you? That's twice now you have acted like a little ***** on this forum.

Solo
Originally posted by Vim
Susipira...??? WTF?? That was the stupidest crap I've ever seen!!
It's one of the best films ever made, bud. While Saw is one of the worst.

Espantada23
Wow a bit hostile in here today.

vintageSW77

vintageSW77
Im just stating my opinion that i find it hard to take critisizm for what is rightly regarded as one of the greatest horror pics of all time(by those who know their stuff - from Chas Balum,Kim Newman,Romero,Tobe Hooper,Barker etc) by people who rate such tripe as What Lies Beneath and the woeful Children Of The Corn to be superior movies to Suspiria.

Thats what this site is for
Debate
I didnt realise this was the lets all hold hands and be nice to each other club.
This is a Horror forum and what with the amount of sh!t being churned out in the name of horror nowadays there are going to be differances of opinion here....and thats what makes this section of KMC tick.
If i wanted nice id join the High School Musical Thread.
As for you Corn youre just a bit narked because i critisized your beloved COTC series which by and large is regarded as a joke in Horror circles much like my beloved SEASON OF THE WITCH.

Suspiria often comes in the top ten horror movies list in SERIOUS horror polls
This is quite probably the most bang on the money top 50s ive ever seen(ok maybe Candyman shouldnt be in there)
http://www.totalfilm.com/movie_news/the_50_greatest_horror_movies_of_all_time
and looky Suspirias at 3

and to quote your fave flick
"I spy, with my lttle eye, something that starts with C".

Carrie,Candyman and Curse of the Cat People
but no Children Of The Corn .

vintageSW77
I apologize Corn for summing up your Horror Movie tastes with your love of COTC alone
I just clicked on your DVD collection link
You have a couple of good choices in there
They kind of sit uneasy alongside Jaws 3D,From Dusk til Dawn 2,Anacondas 2 -search for the blood orchid,Blair Witch Book Of Shadows and THE LEPRECHAUN series though.
What did u do..........enter a competition to win the lamest horror dvds ever?

Ill also apologize in advance to all other members who had to read these 2 msgs for goin on like a lil *****
Ill blame it on a hangover

Vim
Originally posted by Solo
It's one of the best films ever made, bud. While Saw is one of the worst.

Again this is only an OPINION. I couldn't even watch the whole thing!! The sheer stupidity of what was happening in front of me was slowly boiling my brain cells! Just because you say Saw is one of the worst, does not make it so! In fact one of my friends, (6'2", 220 lbs, country boy) could not handle the stuff that was happening in Saw, he was freaking out because of the stuff that was happening... I said well watch this here clip of a "real" scary movie I showed him some of this Susipira... He asked me where I got such a good comedy from! laughing

vintageSW77
Well your 6'2" 220lbs country boy (YEE HAW!!!) and yourself should stick to Shaymalan flicks

Vim
Well your 6'2" 220lbs country boy (YEE HAW!!!) and yourself should stick to Shaymalan flicks

I didn't say anything about a Shaymalan film in my last post. Now, here's a question what does a horror movie have to have in it for it to be classified as "horror"? Anybody...?

vintageSW77
How long you got ??

I dunno what your country boys size n weight has to do with rating a horror movies scare/gross out factor
But sticking with this my GF is a 5'2",7 stone Sex and The City fan(who incidently classes the orig TCM as her fave Horror flick)who thought Saw was a bunch of crap so that kind of makes your good ole country boy a wuss then i guess.

Laters

Vim
How long you got ??

I dunno what your country boys size n weight has to do with rating a horror movies scare/gross out factor
But sticking with this my GF is a 5'2",7 stone Sex and The City fan(who incidently classes the orig TCM as her fave Horror flick)who thought Saw was a bunch of crap so that kind of makes your good ole country boy a wuss then i guess.

Laters

That's exactly my point! Saw creeped him out worse than any other horror movie he's ever seen! The guy's hunted freakin bears and shit before, not many things scare him. But he seriously couldn't handle the dude cutting his foot off! I thought... The dude has skinned deer, squirrels, rabbits, and any other number large game, and he couldn't handle a guy cutting his own foot off. Which I could handle, I have to say that I did squirm a bit while it was happening... But I couldn't help but laugh at clips from these other movies!! They were hilarious!! laughing out loud laughing rolling on floor laughing

vintageSW77
Ok well have to differ over Suspiria
I suggest you let your buddy check this out
it was found by a member on here named Deano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4miegtrqj4
id like to hear what he thinks of this seeing as he was freaked by the foot hack scene in Saw

Vim
Okay well to me personally most everything, with the exception of maybe two or three scenes looked so fake that some middle schoolers could have made the stuff look better than that! Your kidding me right? What was so bad about any of that? The blood looked like ketchup... Ooooo... that's realisitic, most of the time it makes it worse when DON'T you see the actual stab or cut or hack or whatever, and ... the cannibal scenes! Give me a break! You know I think the worse part of the Doctor cutting HIS OWN foot off was the fact that he was doing it to himself. In most of those clips the people are being affected by someone else. There were a few where it looked like they were hurting themselves. I thought most of it was quite humorous and I enjoyed it, but not in the way of it scaring me. I enjoyed being scared, but most of that was so fake and so noticeably fake that it made me laugh! So thanks for the laughs!

LaHaine
comparing italian horror classics to saw is laughable.

Vim
Originally posted by LaHaine
comparing italian horror classics to saw is laughable.

To me it is... I literally laughed at the clip solo linked... I was laughing out loud!! I loved it!! It was sooooo funny! Oh my god... You know what lets change it to italian comedy with some ketchup ... uh I mean "blood" throw in! Okay so that's kind of long... Let's just go with italian 98.5% comedy/ 1.5% horror! laughing

deathbycorn
I apologize Corn for summing up your Horror Movie tastes with your love of COTC alone
I just clicked on your DVD collection link
You have a couple of good choices in there
They kind of sit uneasy alongside Jaws 3D,From Dusk til Dawn 2,Anacondas 2 -search for the blood orchid,Blair Witch Book Of Shadows and THE LEPRECHAUN series though.
What did u do..........enter a competition to win the lamest horror dvds ever?

Ill also apologize in advance to all other members who had to read these 2 msgs for goin on like a lil *****
Ill blame it on a hangover
Listen here you little girl, my dvd is MY dvd collection and it's what I like.
I don't like Suspiria and Inferno and most of Argento's so called horror.
The reason I have them movies you mentioned is because they are part of a collection. I notice how you never mentioned the Childs Play series, you must rate them movies? Well they are pretty gay too and I own them so do you want to have a go about them aswell?

You don't act like a little *****, it's obvious you are a little *****.

Go to http://www.horror.com/forum/ and post there. They'll love you.

Vim
Originally posted by deathbycorn
The reason I have them movies you mentioned is because they are part of a collection. I notice how you never mentioned the Childs Play series, you must rate them movies? Well they are pretty gay too and I own them so do you want to have a go about them aswell?

I agree with you deathbycorn! What so great about these Argento films? I just don't get it... Sorry... my horror has to be somewhat realistic, such as Scream, which rated pretty good on that "top 50" list... I mean it was long after we got the Columbine thing. People go psycho in school and it wouldn't be terribly hard for two guys to team up and start taking out classmates... That's what's truly scary! Now, the old guy from Saw taking people down ... well that was kind of odd I have to admit, but still you have to think about from the people that were being taken. You have this selfish little brat, probably very insecure about himself, and you have him sitting in his apartment, gets up, lights aren't working.. uh oh... Then most of the time, yeah some big dumb guy would come out and hack him to pieces, wow... I didn't see THAT coming ... NO! Instead bam, a guy knocks him out, drugs him and this other guy fixes them up in a trap... How freakin brilliant is that?! Jigsaw was not even aware of what was going on! He knew how his little game would work, thats how much about the human condition this guy was in sync with! He didn't have to rely on anything other than knowing his two victims inside and out. He'd observed them, picked out their weaknesses... What other "killer" in a horror movie does that? None of them that I've seen! He gives these people a chance to live... "How much blood are you willing to shed to stay alive?" Brilliant I say!

deathbycorn
Oh and if you think Candyman shouldn't be in that top 50 horror list your kidding yourself.

Anyway a top horror list is what you think is the best, not some other ****.

Vim
I do not think myself to be any kind of "hardcore horror fan" but from seeing the stuff on that clip and people actually calling that "horror" was just laughable to me! I'm sorry, but seeing "bright red blood" is just a funny thing to see!! Especially on the "cannibal's" mouth and hands! That was the best part! I thought to myself, "Hey want a little intestines to go with that ketchup.. uh I mean blood?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!

vintageSW77

The message i posted was long enough without putting the other films of questionable taste you possess.
So you are saying you buy flicks to complete a series no matter how lame they are?
Now i know why we get so many crap sequels!!
Suckers like you keep on buying them therefore keeping the hacks in buisness with the money to churn out the inevitable Dusk Til Dawn 8 etc.

As for Vim your lame comments on Italo Horror have totally bowled you out of the debate.

Deano
argento films are brilliant. true classics

vintageSW77
and the music too
GOBLIN

genius
im off for an afternoon to watch my newly purchased STAGEFRIGHT
a bargain at 2.99 and a flick that will no doubt sit well alongside my other Italo classics

Vim
The message i posted was long enough without putting the other films of questionable taste you possess.
So you are saying you buy flicks to complete a series no matter how lame they are?
Now i know why we get so many crap sequels!!
Suckers like you keep on buying them therefore keeping the hacks in buisness with the money to churn out the inevitable Dusk Til Dawn 8 etc.

As for Vim your lame comments on Italo Horror have totally bowled you out of the debate.

Oh hold the phone! My "lame" comments are blowing me out of the debate?? Come on now, I can't help if somethings are funny to me and others are truly creepy. Also you have to admit that if you saw a real person take a freakin hacksaw and start cutting their own foot off that you'd be totally spazzing out! While on the other hand... You know what? We have total different outlooks in what we think is horror. To me Horror has to be visceral, it has to be almost real, the bright blood is just a total turnoff for me, it breaks that wall of realism and sends into some kind thing that I would see on a stage in play somewhere. That's all I'm saying. Also seeing the bodies opened up, the knife going in and out, then you can tell the stuff is fake that just makes it worse (to me). If they can't make it look as real as possible (I admit the scene with the eyeball pokeout was done well enough!) ... If it doesn't look real when they preview it they should just cut it out, or show the end result, TO ME that effect is better than actually showing the fakeness of them stabbing a "pretend" body or whatever...

vintageSW77
You got to remember that all those flicks featured in that compilation are over a quarter of a decade old and were made with tiny budgets.
Suspiria is 30 next year with LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE clocking in at 33 years old so the effects are not going to be up to the standard of todays big budget fare.

And your right our ideas of Horror ARE different...you say its all about the visceral whereas for me its about story,tension,scares,the score AND of course the red stuff.
The difference here although i do not claim to be a authority on horror i have seen obviously seen/read a lot more different types of HORROR than you have from the evidence you have given.
From Bram Stoker to 30s Universal to 50s Alien invader flicks to 60s Hammer to 70s Italo,Grindhouse,Stephen King,Herbert to the 80s golden era of Horror film to the 90s barren years right up to todays new wave of Horror ive seen a sh1t load of the stuff and whilst this does not make me Forest J Ackerman it has provided me knowledge of what makes a good HORROR be it literatue or on the big or small screen.

Hire at least 15 of the films mentioned in the poll i posted and THEN well talk.

vintageSW77
Oh and if you think Candyman shouldn't be in that top 50 horror list your kidding yourself.

Anyway a top horror list is what you think is the best, not some other ****.

Some critics ill listen to
i regard Total Film to be a worthy magazine
theres always going to be someone out there with Ghoulies,Satans Little Helper,Wishmaster,Leprechaun 5 and Castle Freak in their top 5 so id disagree with your above comment.

Big Sexy
I gotta agree with vintage. Suspiria is definitely one of the best. Saw was just good for this era of lame horror movies but nothing more. It was alright but nothing special.

LaHaine
correction...
saw was corny as hell. sheer pop culture.

i'd rather eat the shit out of my own anus than to see that film become 'legendary'.

Espantada23
Wow...Harsh....Suspiria is a great movie...and I love love love Let Sleeping Corpses Lie...I'm just completely anti-SAW.

Vim
Originally posted by LaHaine
correction...
saw was corny as hell. sheer pop culture.

i'd rather eat the shit out of my own anus than to see that film become 'legendary'.

Okay so I'm not an as much of horror specialist as the rest of the people in this forum. Because most of the time I sit down to watch a supposed horror movie and because its so FAKE that me and my 4 year old daughter could make it look more reall... then I don't watch the rest of the movie. Sorry, my eyes and brain begin to hurt as so much of the fakeness comes blaring out at me like a freakin muppet sittin next to a real person...

vintageSW77
Well i noticed on your profile that you have put THE MUMMY movies as two of your favourite flicks...hmm so that will include THE MUMMY RETURNS then?
THE MUMMY RETURNS - the movie that features the 2 lowpoints in the history of ILMs special effects - the Scorpion King and Imotep.

You say you switch off movies that dont look real...well i guess you missed the last half of that movie then.

vintageSW77
Anyway it aint about the effects its about the story and the scares.
A lot of classics from all genres have dated effects but it doesnt make a differance.
People dont switch off THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK just because the Yoda puppet looks a bit shoddy.
Ill tell you something though for all this complaining of 70s/80s horror latex fx looking fake and dated NOTHING dates more than poor CGI.

Deano
agreed.

S_W_LeGenD
I recommend The Grudge "Series".

Both parts are great.

Vim
Well i noticed on your profile that you have put THE MUMMY movies as two of your favourite flicks...hmm so that will include THE MUMMY RETURNS then?
THE MUMMY RETURNS - the movie that features the 2 lowpoints in the history of ILMs special effects - the Scorpion King and Imotep.

You say you switch off movies that dont look real...well i guess you missed the last half of that movie then.

Aw, sorry bout that... I haven't updated that in LOOOONNGG time... When they first came out, I liked them then... But I suppose an update is in order. I don't necessarily mean EVERY single movie that has "fake-looking stuff in it is bad or doesn't appeal to me. I'm saying when I want to be scared by a movie, which a lot of times is very difficult in the theater... I usually like to be at home, 1 or 2 in the morning, by myself or maybe one other person in the room or hourse, then yeah effects can help, but usually your right its the story, the tension, the characters that are what make movies, horror or otherwise, effects can certainly help in areas, but they are definitely not what make a movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.