Is Chemistry really that IMPORTANT to Bio-Majors?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ysh227

I plan to be a BioTechnology Researcher who will be exploring the possible innovative contribution of Bio-Research to our world in decades. This means that I will be a scientist who will study and manipulate human genes.

Do I really need to build up my chemistry basis in order to do what I really plan to do?

I mean I am learning probably the most complex parts of Chemistry: Learning to analyzing and determining bonding and bonding angles, learning to learn how to let it be single bond, double bond or even triple bond. And learning how to do the problems regarding energy.

Chemistry is very boring, and there are so many basic ideas that I have to memorize and use them right away.

Is Chemistry really that important to Biology aspects--especially to BioTechnology aspects?

Give me some feedbacks directly linked to your minds and your thought. I would like to get to know how you think of this and that.

bogen
yes, anything with science = chemistry, it's the foundation of science and it's basicly all useful science is now a days

Alliance
Yes.

InnerRise
Biology aside, although I'm a Biology Major myself.

I believe that the majority of the stuff that they require students to learn in college is a waste of time.

I mean they are teaching us stuff in Chemistry for example that only people who are really need to know the stuff(Scientists and what not) should be learning.

It's ridiculous. They are teaching us outrageous stuff. I can see if it was a Graduate school course teaching this stuff to people who NEEDED to know it, but making people at our level, people that are going to be English Teachers and Psychologist is outrageous and I hate it deeply.

I won't remember this crap that I'm learning, or attempting to learn anyway and nor will I ever have to use it.

I doubt the day will come when I have to know the Affinity Number of Carbon.

So stupid..............all they want is your money.

And some teachers deliberately make it harder.

I swear, they don't feel as if they're doing they're job unless some people fail.

I have a 2 teachers for Chemistry class and they're wife and husband and they both have the same kind of attitude and do the same type of things and you can tell they go home at night and go "What can we do next to stump those kids" and they're smiling and rubbing their hands together.

One day my Chemistry teacher was like, "Let's have some fun with it" and I swear she put up the most difficult problem in the world. Not even the text book contained such a problem.

That told me right there, as if I didn't know already, how she thought when making up tests.

When did the goal of teaching go from making sure they got the material to "how far can I go until I give them a problem they majority will never get"

All they have to do is give us a doable problem that we can actually do, not give us a problem that you believe only 2 students will get, therefore demonstrating your intelligence and giving us a problem that only you and a few students can do.

The stuff we learn us such a waste of time. I hate college with a passion and my feelings on this matter is not limited to Chemistry.

Math is another one.......but don't get me started.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

dirkdirden
College is supposed to take your mind and expand what you can do with it. When you teacher gives you an insanely hard problem he is trying to challenge you. If college was easy everyone could do it and it would be pointless.

The main reason for college is that it shows you spent 4 years of your life getting shit on and pushed around and you didn't quit, and it is supposed to teach you how to learn. If you can learn chemistry you can learn most anything.

So in short yes you need Chemistry and other difficult courses to prove yourself worthy of employment and the high salary you will have out of college.

Lady Fianna
Yes... ermm

InnerRise
Originally posted by dirkdirden
College is supposed to take your mind and expand what you can do with it. When you teacher gives you an insanely hard problem he is trying to challenge you. If college was easy everyone could do it and it would be pointless.

The main reason for college is that it shows you spent 4 years of your life getting shit on and pushed around and you didn't quit, and it is supposed to teach you how to learn. If you can learn chemistry you can learn most anything.

So in short yes you need Chemistry and other difficult courses to prove yourself worthy of employment and the high salary you will have out of college. I disagree but tomato tomato.

And it really doesn't matter if you spent 4 yrs in college getting "sh!t on" if it has messed up your transcript and you now more than likely won't get into graduate/medical school. doped

So there's a chance you won't prove anything, including yourself, at all.

Lana
If you're majoring in any field in science, you're going to need to have basic knowledge of the other main sciences (ie biology, chemistry, and physics).

Personally I find biology to be the most boring of the three and physics, while the hardest, is also the most interesting.

And you don't know what you're going to need to know until it comes time to use the knowledge.

Strangelove
Yes

Amber9
I'm taking Chem right now in High School...and it is one of my hardest classes...and we have a student teacher that really sucks at teaching it...

But I do believe that you need it as a base line, if you are going to go into, really, any science field.

Just grit your teeth and get through it.

lord xyz
Originally posted by ysh227

I plan to be a BioTechnology Researcher who will be exploring the possible innovative contribution of Bio-Research to our world in decades. This means that I will be a scientist who will study and manipulate human genes.

Do I really need to build up my chemistry basis in order to do what I really plan to do?

I mean I am learning probably the most complex parts of Chemistry: Learning to analyzing and determining bonding and bonding angles, learning to learn how to let it be single bond, double bond or even triple bond. And learning how to do the problems regarding energy.

Chemistry is very boring, and there are so many basic ideas that I have to memorize and use them right away.

Is Chemistry really that important to Biology aspects--especially to BioTechnology aspects?

Give me some feedbacks directly linked to your minds and your thought. I would like to get to know how you think of this and that. Without chemistry you wouldn't know the elements that make up the hman cell, or any other cell. And would limit your knowledge on how the huan body works.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by InnerRise
I disagree but tomato tomato.

And it really doesn't matter if you spent 4 yrs in college getting "sh!t on" if it has messed up your transcript and you now more than likely won't get into graduate/medical school. doped

So there's a chance you won't prove anything, including yourself, at all.

O you want be a doctor very nice. Your chance to prove yourself is now as an undergrad. If you want to get into a med school like Harvard, John Hopkins, Duke, Stanford, Yale and so on you will need at least a 3.8 and almost perfect MCAT scores.

If you plan on being a doctor chemistry is the least of your worries.

InnerRise
shock

Don't say that.

I wouldn't say I WANT to be a doctor, but that's what I'm going for ahora mismo.

Naz
Chemistry is the devil's science. it's pure evil, it's only goal and purpose is to make my brain hurt and make me feel stupid.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Naz
Chemistry is the devil's science. it's pure evil, it's only goal and purpose is to make my brain hurt and make me feel stupid. I'm liking Chemistry more and more mismo. doped

dirkdirden
shock

Don't say that.

I wouldn't say I WANT to be a doctor, but that's what I'm going for ahora mismo.

Why the hell would you go to school to be a doctor if you don't want to be a doctor.

Mr. Bacon
yes it is important

InnerRise
Originally posted by dirkdirden
Why the hell would you go to school to be a doctor if you don't want to be a doctor. I thought I did at first. I even changed my major. People change.

I've said I've wanted to be a doctor since I was a little kid.

So yeah.

Don't know anymore.

dirkdirden
I thought I did at first. I even changed my major. People change.

I've said I've wanted to be a doctor since I was a little kid.

So yeah.

Don't know anymore.

yeah your in a pickle thats for sure. I knew what I wanted to do out of high school and now I'm doing it and don't want to be doing it anymore. Kinda know what you mean.

InnerRise
I do alreayd have my Pharm. Tech. License so I can always do that. Got 'em while I was in HighSchool. I have yet to use them.

The place I was volunteering at doing highschool didin't want to pay me when I got 'em so I up and left. doped

Bardock42
Originally posted by bogen
yes, anything with science = chemistry, it's the foundation of science and it's basicly all useful science is now a days

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Gimme a sec.....HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA

****, that was good.

~Flamboyant~
Of course. And chemistry isn't boring. (My fave class)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.