EGM bias???????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dirkdirden
So people who read IGN do you feel it is Bias?

I feel there reviews are sound but the magazine itself seems to be very pro xbox360. There are over 10 pages of xbox360 ads, and about 10 quotes from people bashing ps3. No ps3 ads and no Xbox360 bashing.

I thought maybe it was just because ps3 is about to be released so I look though last month and it was the same story.

So if you read IGN have you noticed this, also do you think that Microsoft who is buying the pages and pages of ads are also paying for the Sony bashing quotes. Kind of like political attack ads.

El_NINO
I dont think it would matter if there werent that many PS3 ads online seeing as only the hardcore gamers go online to read reviews. Hardcore gamers alone are not enough to do much either.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by El_NINO
I dont think it would matter if there werent that many PS3 ads online seeing as only the hardcore gamers go online to read reviews. Hardcore gamers alone are not enough to do much either.

I was referring to the IGM magazine not online. Online doesn't seem bias because there are people bashing all systems and people promoting all systems. But IGM magazine pretty much only promotes Xbox360 and only bashes PS3.

El_NINO
I think you did a mistake then because your thread title says IGN not IGM. Also you typed that in your message.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by El_NINO
I think you did a mistake then because your thread title says IGN not IGM. Also you typed that in your message.

Yep thats my bad. IGM is what I ment.

PVS
ign gives very dodgy reviews at times. im not sure if its a pro-xbox thing either. it just seems when they dont get their way, or a game is unique and not what they were expecting, they throw a childish hissy fit and give it a ridiculously low and unwarranted score.

i never read their reviews anymore

dirkdirden
Originally posted by PVS
ign gives very dodgy reviews at times. im not sure if its a pro-xbox thing either. it just seems when they dont get their way, or a game is unique and not what they were expecting, they throw a childish hissy fit and give it a ridiculously low and unwarranted score.

yeah I don't think IGN is proxbox but I have seen what you are talking about. I still read there reviews but I dont trust them.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by dirkdirden
I still read there reviews but I dont trust them.

Then...stop reading them. Simple as that..

dirkdirden
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Then...stop reading them. Simple as that..

Better to read a poor review then no review, any review will give some insite into the game.

WrathfulDwarf
I don't see the logic in that since reviews are just opinions. When you actually play the game you gain a even greater insight. But whatever floats your boat...

Superboy Prime
Originally posted by PVS

Gamespot is even worst than IGN. At times it feels like Gamespot waits for IGN to release their reviews so they can release their reviews with a lower score than what IGN gave them. IGN's tough, but Gamespot is a beast. About IGM...Do you mean Electronig Gaming Monthly aka EGM? Haven't read that magazine in a long time, so I wouldn't know if they're biased or not. They're probably not.

dirkdirden

Smasandian
Well first, ads are paid for by companies. So, they're not biased as an magazine if Microsoft wants to pay for all those ads. Secondly, EGM doesnt have PS3 because of the lack of ads because maybe, Sony didnt pay for any advertising space.

EGM is good magazine, probalby the bette console game magazines out there. They're in the same boat as PC Gamer.

I'm sorry to say, but alot of people have been bashing Sony latly. They have done some dumb stuff.

Overall, its an magazine, they need to make money and the majority of it comes from advertisements. That's being biased. Being biased would be if they review PS3 games horribly because they hate Sony, which isnt the case.

With concern with IGN, they have shit reviews. I always feel they overpraise games. Gamespot only releases their reviews on time. They have an rule that says that the release the reviews on the day, or just before the game gets released, and not 20 days before like IGN does. I always feel they have good sense in the review and a game that gets over 9.0 is a game that warrents that. Unlike IGN, who gives over 90% every week or so, it cheapens the score.

dirkdirden

Smasandian
That's complete bullshit.

The quotes are part of the Overheard section, and if you know anything about EGM, its that they go for the laugh. Example would be its numerous April's Fools Joke. It just happens that Ken Kutaragi gives some outragous quotes that happen to be funny.

I have one magazine in my hand, and EGM makes fun of all three companies, not just one. You just happen to think its biased because thats all you look at/

Ricodrayz
Oh stop complaining you Penis sniffers! Xbox was bashed to high heavens before it came out(1 the most) by the same people. It is just that 360 has been out a whole year while the Ps3 hasn't even come out yet, not to mention all these mistakes Sony been doing lately. Ps2 was praised as GOD! by those maginzines so it is not really bias. The reviews of the games are bias to some extent because different people have fun or more fun with different games.

If it bothers anyone so much; just jump off a cliff while playing monopoly!(No everyone, I am not serious so don't get hyped up and try to attack lol)

*Goes to watch Tv*

AstroFan
What is IGM?

BackFire

Lana
Okay, I've changed the thread title so people will know what it's meant to be about...

WrathfulDwarf
IGN?
EGM?
IGM?
GIM?
GYM?
WD?

I'm confused. wacko

Ricodrayz
Originally posted by BackFire
Those rumors are clearly in the rumor section, anyone who takes them for anything more than that are simply morons, not EGM's fault.

And no, I've subscribed to EGM for nearly a decade and I've never seen any evidence of a bias, that's something that fanboys go on whining about as an excuse as why some game they like got a bad review, or a game they don't like got a good review.

http://shaunhatton.com/wp-content/dj_finish_him1.gif

dirkdirden

Ricodrayz

BackFire
Who cares about ads? EGM can't control ads, that's handled by their parent company Ziff Davis. That just means that MS is paying more money for ads, which makes sense since they have much more shit coming out in the near future. All Nintendo and Sony have are console launches, which all gamers already know about, they know it would be a waste to have a large number of ads about a console launch in a video game magazine, when every reader is already fully aware.

And no, Logically the PS3 and Wii should not have more articles. How many articles do you expect EGM to write about a console launch per issue? Besides, most of the articles are about games coming out for multiple platforms. Your logic is very broken.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by Ricodrayz
Didn't some one say; that it is up to Sony and Microsoft to buy ads no expression so the more they buy the more will show up?

Well if Xbox is helping fund your magizine are you really going to say anything bad about about them in it?

But if nobody else sees any favoritism in the articles and quotes I must be crazy.

BackFire
Yes, they will say about stuff about someone who is buying ad space. I've seen them give a review to a shit game, say it's the worst game in the world, and then the next issue have advertisements for that same game.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that they've never given Xbox shit. When the 360 was launching last year they were just as hard on it as they are being now on the PS3.

dirkdirden

Ricodrayz
Originally posted by dirkdirden
I can't remember that far back. That it is not our problem then. Do research before you attack; like a hungry man with one leg no expression

TricksterPriest
Besides, if any company gets shit respect and bias against it, it's nintendo. People always claim Nintendo lost the last console war with the gamecube. I've seen good and bad reviews in EGM for all systems equally. To be fair, they were very skeptical of the Wii for it's control system, but they were equally skeptical of the PS3's price tag, and the 360's possible lack of killer apps.

Smasandian
Dirden, I just bought the Gears Of War EGM cover, and if you read the editorial on the contents page, Shoe basically tells you why they have soo much XBOX 360 coverage.

1. because EGM is going toward more next gen stuff, its assumed that XBOX 360 will be more prevelent in the magazine because its the only one out. They cant continue to do whole cover stories on the PS3 until it actually comes out.

2. Microsoft is the best companie in the games industry to releases info on games and products. Nintendo rarely releases anything to do the whole Japanese secret thing and Sony, as Shoe's puts it, doesnt care if they're is no stories about Sony.

Thats your answer. Sony doesnt release enough info about products and games that are upcoming. If they're is no info, then they'rs is no stories.
Its Sony's fault.

Barker
Originally posted by Smasandian
Its Sony's fault.
Is there an Echo in here?

Smasandian
Is that your way of being funny and witty?

If it was, I would seriously consider to not capitlize the work echo, unless your talking about a person, place or thing.

dirkdirden

((The_Anomaly))
There are lots of places with bias against a specific company. Gamespot is very pro PS3 and Xbox and anti-nintendo. They always seem to give Sony and Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, and yet scrutinize every little thing Nintendo doesn't get exactly right.

IGN is the best for unbiased reviews I think.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
There are lots of places with bias against a specific company. Gamespot is very pro PS3 and Xbox and anti-nintendo. They always seem to give Sony and Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, and yet scrutinize every little thing Nintendo doesn't get exactly right.

IGN is the best for unbiased reviews I think.

I really don't know which one is the best but I don't like IGN that much. I like EGM the best because they have 3 people review each game to give you different opinions on it, just all the xbox bling bling hurts my eyes.

BackFire

El_NINO
Originally posted by BackFire
I got the Halo 3 issue yesterday, and yes, it says next months cover story is going to be on the Wii/PS3 launches, along with reviews of all of the big launch games.

owned

MadMel
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))

IGN is the best for unbiased reviews I think. reminds me of halfevilraiden..just cut out the words and you could swear he was one of the writers or editors..
errm...anyways, ive trusted ign to give me unbiased reports on console specific games, like halo, god of war or metroid..some the cross console games are slightly biased towards the 360, but thats ok..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.