Alright, I've had quite enough Dr.Strange hype.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
Sure, he's a master time manipulator, a master of molecular control. Sure he's blown up dimensions/universes. Sure he was said to be so powerful that he's messing up the balance of the multiverse. Sure his blasts are said to rival the power of a supernova....BUT COME ON! I'm TIRED of the ball licking!

No more Dr.Strange vs Galactus bullshit. Strange is not Abstract just because he has one or two abstract-like feats. He's not more powerful than Odin, he's not more powerful than a lot of people. Stop hyping him so damned much before you force a backlash.

From here on, Strange shouldn't be allowed to fight people above Surfer unless he's on a team.

This shit is just getting old.

-Rant

Ethereal
I agree... do I need to confirm this again and post the same scans for the 500th time, just to prove a point!!

I think not.

long pig
It was much better when people thought Strange would lose to Ironman and I'd prove them wrong. Hell, I had to argue that Blade wouldn't beat Strange.

But, now, he's up against everyone and it's getting old.

Ethereal
I think people are just jealous of the DS respect thread.

roughrider
confused Weren't you behind a lot of this hype, with the DS respect thread?

King Kandy
So bascically, you supported Dr.Strange until he was getting put against foes he couldn't possibly beat?

inamilist
In the new series "The oath" Strange is shot by a seemingly human level thug in his own home.... i guess not a normal thug, but certainly not an abstract level

manjaro
becuase the gun the guy used once belonged to hitler, and all that negative spirit energy was able to pierce his force field........knocked my freaking socks off, cuz im like here is a guy who parries blasts from actual demons like mephisto, and really bad mojo guys like Dorrmamu on a reg basis, but an evil gun is gonna take him down?What the f**k?

inamilist
Originally posted by manjaro
becuase the gun the guy used once belonged to hitler, and all that negative spirit energy was able to pierce his force field........knocked my freaking socks off, cuz im like here is a guy who parries blasts from actual demons like mephisto, and really bad mojo guys like Dorrmamu on a reg basis, but an evil gun is gonna take him down?What the f**k?

makes sense to me

honestly, seeing strange get shot was amazing to me, even though I love strange

I was like, FINALLY!!!!! THEY GOT HUMANS + GUNS RIGHT!

S-Ranger
The guy's a beast at the end of the day but there seem's to be alot of misconceptions and understanding about him out there he's only human at the end of the day.

King_Mungi
During the Hulk Amenesty he almost got defeated by a spaceship that grabbed him..haha oh lord.

leonidas
Originally posted by long pig
Sure, he's a master time manipulator, a master of molecular control. Sure he's blown up dimensions/universes. Sure he was said to be so powerful that he's messing up the balance of the multiverse. Sure his blasts are said to rival the power of a supernova....BUT COME ON! I'm TIRED of the ball licking!

No more Dr.Strange vs Galactus bullshit. Strange is not Abstract just because he has one or two abstract-like feats. He's not more powerful than Odin, he's not more powerful than a lot of people. Stop hyping him so damned much before you force a backlash.

From here on, Strange shouldn't be allowed to fight people above Surfer unless he's on a team.

-Rant

s'all i've been saying.

clapping

leonidas
Originally posted by S-Ranger
The guy's a beast at the end of the day but there seem's to be alot of misconceptions and understanding about him out there he's only human at the end of the day.

the problem has ALWAYS been that strange is CAPABLE of ludicrous feats. but at the same time, he can seem quite vulnerable. he is enormously difficult to place in any level because more than any character he is defined by who is writing him.

since no one has really been able to get a good, consistent handle on him, he has not been able to sustain a long term book.

it's too bad -- i love the idea of the character. i'd like to see a good, consistent portrayal of him thta doesn't have him pis'ing to wanda or battling in any way against the IG.

sad

Validus
Originally posted by King Kandy
So bascically, you supported Dr.Strange until he was getting put against foes he couldn't possibly beat?
Happened to me with Genis. I bigged him up on the Vs forum and next thing you know, its Genis Vs Galactus. Let's not even speak of the more recent disaster that is The Flash. Some people just take respect threads and twist them so far from the truth it's a shame.

batdude123

-Rant

Your first paragraph almost makes it seem like you're being sarcastic. laughing out loud

bigbran
Originally posted by batdude123
Your first paragraph almost makes it seem like you're being sarcastic. laughing out loud Hmmm...

leonidas
Originally posted by batdude123
Your first paragraph almost makes it seem like you're being sarcastic. laughing out loud

laughing

that's hilarious. that was my ORIGINAL thought, but the rest of the post made me think he was sincere.

hmmm, indeed . . . the little piggy may have pulled one over ole leo's eyes . . .

shifty

Murda Ma$e
Who cares how powerful he is he still dresses like a fruit.

Mindship
Listen: every now and then, one special hero is selected to be dipped into the Hype Force and come out more powerful than anyone -- comic reader or editor -- has ever dared to dream.

Batman
Wolverine
Now it's Stephen's moment.

The rest of you are just gonna have to wait your turn.

long pig
Originally posted by roughrider
confused Weren't you behind a lot of this hype, with the DS respect thread?
I was behind getting the truth out about a not-so-well-known character on this board (i.e people thinking he'd lose to Ironman or Hulk), I never hyped him into being capable of doing things he can't. But, recently, people have been straight up lying about his abilities, and as a fan, I don't like it.

To me, and I've read every Strange comic along with about 80% of his other guest appearances, I'd say Strange's normal power setting is probably above or at Thanos' power level....maybe higher when he uses black magic(he's twice as powerful when he uses white and black magic). With prep, he can run into Odin-esque territory of power.

He can't beat Galactus even though he one shot k.o'd him, he wouldn't be able to do it again if Galactus went totally all out.

long pig
Originally posted by inamilist
makes sense to me

honestly, seeing strange get shot was amazing to me, even though I love strange

I was like, FINALLY!!!!! THEY GOT HUMANS + GUNS RIGHT!
It didn't make sense. He's been able to take a blast from Galactus, but a gun from Hitler hurt him?

PISHIT.

jasofisc
I have to admit because of all the hype Strange gets I thought he could take Big G. who would Dr. Strange be on the level with.

inamilist
It didn't make sense. He's been able to take a blast from Galactus, but a gun from Hitler hurt him?

PISHIT.

lol

probably

but still, i can dream

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Validus
Happened to me with Genis. I bigged him up on the Vs forum and next thing you know, its Genis Vs Galactus. Let's not even speak of the more recent disaster that is The Flash. Some people just take respect threads and twist them so far from the truth it's a shame. There needs to be an anti-respect thread rant sooner or later.

long pig
No need for an anti-respect thread, just stop saying he's abstract and shit like that.

Originally posted by jasofisc
I have to admit because of all the hype Strange gets I thought he could take Big G. who would Dr. Strange be on the level with.
If Galactus stood there, no shields and allowed Strange to blast him, then yes, Strange probably could k.o him again. But that wouldn't happen.

Like I said, Strange's level on this board (because he can use both white and black magic) is at or above Thanos. With prep, he could reach Odin's level.

What gets Strange in so many stupid battles is his one shot kills and time travel which I've used in battles myself.

jasofisc
thanks that really helps me understand him a little more

King_Mungi
Dr.Strange has been on a losing streak lately from the Sentry and the Void, and recently against Ghost Rider.

Blind
Originally posted by Murda Ma$e

Best point I've heard yet.

What's with that guy? Does he get that garb from Goodwill or Wal-Mart? Honestly...

manorastroman
it's pretty funny to say any comic character is more or less "fruity" in apparel, not only because it's a stupid thing to say, but 99% run around in tights.

roughrider
I was behind getting the truth out about a not-so-well-known character on this board (i.e people thinking he'd lose to Ironman or Hulk), I never hyped him into being capable of doing things he can't. But, recently, people have been straight up lying about his abilities, and as a fan, I don't like it.

To me, and I've read every Strange comic along with about 80% of his other guest appearances, I'd say Strange's normal power setting is probably above or at Thanos' power level....maybe higher when he uses black magic(he's twice as powerful when he uses white and black magic). With prep, he can run into Odin-esque territory of power.

He can't beat Galactus even though he one shot k.o'd him, he wouldn't be able to do it again if Galactus went totally all out.

The only thing I'm questioned in the last several years, is the time he stood up to an armed-with-IG Adam Warlock.

roughrider
Originally posted by Murda Ma$e

No way. The Doctor is one of the best-garbed heroes at Marvel. Much better than Dr. Fate, anyway.

bigbran
If Galactus stood there, no shields and allowed Strange to blast him, then yes, Strange probably could k.o him again. But that wouldn't happen.
Again? When was the first time?

I just loved this one...
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5307/galactusvsdrstrange5cb5.th.jpg

He is perfect, hmm...
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/6983/galactusvsdrstrange6mi4.th.jpg

I remember looking back at Strange threads, and seeing the first scan (without the second), and people said he KOed Galactus... I'm like holy shit!
But, after I read the comic...

Wally West
There is one other occasion I can think of regarding Strange/Galactus, in an issue of Fantastic Four (its when Terrax was his herald). Galactus is very weak and shrinking as he fights the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, then out of nowhere Strange flies in and casts a spell that makes Galactus feel the pain of all those he has caused pain (or something like that) which causes him to freak out and the Thing finishes him off and Galactus is KO'd. But Galactus was very weak, blasts from Ironman were actually having an effect.

Endless Mike
Images of Ikonn

bigbran
Originally posted by Wally West
There is one other occasion I can think of regarding Strange/Galactus, in an issue of Fantastic Four (its when Terrax was his herald). Galactus is very weak and shrinking as he fights the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, then out of nowhere Strange flies in and casts a spell that makes Galactus feel the pain of all those he has caused pain (or something like that) which causes him to freak out and the Thing finishes him off and Galactus is KO'd. But Galactus was very weak, blasts from Ironman were actually having an effect. Thing finishes him off...no expression

Anyway, Strange hasn't KOed him.

Doctor S.T.D.
Originally posted by leonidas
the problem has ALWAYS been that strange is CAPABLE of ludicrous feats. but at the same time, he can seem quite vulnerable. he is enormously difficult to place in any level because more than any character he is defined by who is writing him.

since no one has really been able to get a good, consistent handle on him, he has not been able to sustain a long term book.

it's too bad -- i love the idea of the character. i'd like to see a good, consistent portrayal of him thta doesn't have him pis'ing to wanda or battling in any way against the IG.

sad

IMO, the problem stems directly from the source of his powers which is why I hate magic. In most cases magic is depicted as a bullshit unjustifiable power, which might as well be called the power of Deus Ex- Machina. And its why most of the more respected writers tend to stay away from magical characters. If we are honest, most fights (involving magical characters) amount to nothing more than you're typical Dragon Ball Z energy blasts. There are though exceptions to this, Morisson usually puts a more cosmic edge on magic, i.e. depicting it as an interesting violation of the laws of physics and reality. If you want to know what Im talking about, read seven soldiers or the Invisibles.

Doctor S.T.D.
Originally posted by roughrider
No way. The Doctor is one of the best-garbed heroes at Marvel. Much better than Dr. Fate, anyway.

I disagree Immensely. The Best dressed sorcerer would have to be John Constantine.

Alfheim
Originally posted by manjaro

It seems that Hitler might have actually studied the occult, plus Hitler was really, really evil, but yeah you're right Hitler cant be worse than Mephisto for example.

-Rant

Im sure I saw in the DS respect thread that Strange beat In-betweener without prep, but then again it might depend on the circumstances. A normal human being can beat an abstarct depending on the circumstance and context of the encounter.

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Alfheim
A normal human being can beat an abstarct depending on the circumstance and context of the encounter.

Strange used Order and Chaos, the In-Betweener's "makers to weaken him.

Case in point Ernest St. Ives and Death.

Mindship
Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.
IMO, the problem stems directly from the source of his powers which is why I hate magic. In most cases magic is depicted as a bullshit unjustifiable power, which might as well be called the power of Deus Ex- Machina.

I could Not agree more. Depictions of magic stink of childhood wish-fulfillment residue: "I can do anything, weeee, I have magic!"

Of course, the real problem lies with the writers, who are still on their one-upmanship bandwagon.

DigiMark007
This happens all the time.

Character gets no respect...
Forum member spreads the truth....
Character gets too big of a forum rep...
Character starts displaying "fanboy powers" and his battles turn into bad jokes....
Original, intelligent, fan of the character gets pissed...

I feel your pain lp. You've created a monster. stick out tongue

TricksterPriest
Ernest St. Ives seemed quite interesting. This guy is possibly tournament legal, and think of the possibilities.

On topic, yeah shit happens. Look at Darkseid, Apoc, Thanos, and quite a few others. Rep goes both ways.

King_Mungi
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Ernest St. Ives seemed quite interesting. This guy is possibly tournament legal, and think of the possibilities.

Cuidos for knowing him, but he is to big of a question mark to let in the tournament.

long pig
Originally posted by bigbran
Thing finishes him off...no expression

Anyway, Strange hasn't KOed him.
Sure he did.

He was unconscious until he was 10 feet from the ground. He fell from space, so at least for a good 30 seconds of being K.O'd.

And, even a full powered Galactus would still be taken out by the Ikonn attack. It had nothing to do with his physical body, it was a straight mind rape. It's the same as GR's penance stare.

long pig
It seems that Hitler might have actually studied the occult, plus Hitler was really, really evil, but yeah you're right Hitler cant be worse than Mephisto for example.

Im sure I saw in the DS respect thread that Strange beat In-betweener without prep, but then again it might depend on the circumstances. A normal human being can beat an abstarct depending on the circumstance and context of the encounter.
Well, he's not normal at all. Mentally, physically or even spiritually he's superhuman. His durability is immense without shields, his mind is magically augmented and his spirit is nearly impossible to conquer.

He beat the IB by doing what he always does, he took power from a higher being and used it for himself. Going above people's heads is his M.O.
There weren't any hidden circumstances or contexts.

Alfheim
Well, he's not normal at all. Mentally, physically or even spiritually he's superhuman. His durability is immense without shields, his mind is magically augmented and his spirit is nearly impossible to conquer.

He beat the IB by doing what he always does, he took power from a higher being and used it for himself. Going above people's heads is his M.O.
There weren't any hidden circumstances or contexts.

Im not an expert on DS but if he can do that he should be able to beat Odin. Then again when you said he couldnt beat Odin or an abstract maybe you meant without using a highier power.

Wally West
He was unconscious until he was 10 feet from the ground. He fell from space, so at least for a good 30 seconds of being K.O'd.
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Do you purposefully exaggerate this stuff?

long pig
Im not an expert on DS but if he can do that he should be able to beat Odin. Then again when you said he couldnt beat Odin or an abstract maybe you meant without using a highier power.
He could probably stalemate Odin with prep. Odin is stuck at Asgardian magic, that's all he has. Strange has that and everything else. He could do well against Odin if he had enough time to call on Eternity's power and fight.

He's beaten Dormammu and Odin considers him his equal (check out the Thor issue where Odin and Dorm' are having an abstract game of chess. Thor wasn't smart enough to understand what was going on but later Odin said that it wasn't chess, it was war. They fought it abstractly and it was a draw. So Dorm didn't take over Asgard.).

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Do you purposefully exaggerate this stuff?
I don't feel I exaggerate a dime. Strange fought him in space, blasted a hole through him, Galactus fell down all the way down to Earth with his eyes closed for maybe a thousand feet (I don't know how far up you have to be to be in space, so my bad.) before regaining consciousness and catching himself right before hitting the ground.

Now, if I punched you, put a hole through you and you weren't able to do anything and your eyes were closed for a good 10 seconds, wouldn't you say I k.o'd you?

Oh, and I don't appreciate you calling me a liar, dickhead.

King_Mungi
long pig your great, I love the fact your all professional and calm and then I read your last line and just start cracking up. Haha

King KAM
You guys are all idiots for going along with him in this thread. Hes laughing at you all...

Hes a sarcastic little bastiche, and hes probably high when writing all this bullshit, thats why he so calm hes damn near comatose. The only person who hypes strange is him, everyone else coudlnt give a rats ass about him, hell all the feats they use, were given to them by LP.

Hes like a crooked cop who sells u seized guns, then gets a search warrant and hits your house, taking them all back and putting u under arrrest. But keeping the money.

Wally West
I don't feel I exaggerate a dime. Strange fought him in space, blasted a hole through him, Galactus fell down all the way down to Earth with his eyes closed for maybe a thousand feet (I don't know how far up you have to be to be in space, so my bad.) before regaining consciousness and catching himself right before hitting the ground.

Now, if I punched you, put a hole through you and you weren't able to do anything and your eyes were closed for a good 10 seconds, wouldn't you say I k.o'd you?

Oh, and I don't appreciate you calling me a liar, dickhead. I didn't call you a liar, chum.

1) He didn't blast 'a hole' through Galactus, ( http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=galactusvsdrstrange5cb5.jpg ) you can see the back of Galactus and there is no hole there, the circle on his chest in the first panel is just where the blast is impacting
2) He didn't fight Galactus in space, they were hovering just above the buildings
3) You are making a wild assumption that Galactus had his eyes closed for 10 seconds or something when there is nothing that says or shows that
4) Nothing says Galactus was unconscious at any point, all Strange did was knock Galactus off balance and he fell backwards
5) You said Galactus stopped himself 10 feet from the floor when you can clearly see thats not true, unless the buildings below him were smaller than 10 feet tall?

Alfheim
He could probably stalemate Odin with prep. Odin is stuck at Asgardian magic, that's all he has. Strange has that and everything else. He could do well against Odin if he had enough time to call on Eternity's power and fight.

Well ok so basically with prep DS could take an abstract. Yeah I know Odin and Dorammu are not abstract but that doesnt change the fact that DS used a highier power to beat IB, thats kinda prep isnt it?

He's beaten Dormammu and Odin considers him his equal (check out the Thor issue where Odin and Dorm' are having an abstract game of chess. Thor wasn't smart enough to understand what was going on but later Odin said that it wasn't chess, it was war. They fought it abstractly and it was a draw. So Dorm didn't take over Asgard.).

roll eyes (sarcastic) I wish these Marvel writers would stop making Thor look stupid when hes not actually like that in heathen lore. In fact the Norse gods are a mess.

long pig
I didn't call you a liar, chum.

1) He didn't blast 'a hole' through Galactus, ( http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=galactusvsdrstrange5cb5.jpg ) you can see the back of Galactus and there is no hole there, the circle on his chest in the first panel is just where the blast is impacting
2) He didn't fight Galactus in space, they were hovering just above the buildings
3) You are making a wild assumption that Galactus had his eyes closed for 10 seconds or something when there is nothing that says or shows that
4) Nothing says Galactus was unconscious at any point, all Strange did was knock Galactus off balance and he fell backwards
5) You said Galactus stopped himself 10 feet from the floor when you can clearly see thats not true, unless the buildings below him were smaller than 10 feet tall?
Yap yap yap. That's all you do. Just like a woman.

Originally posted by King KAM
You guys are all idiots for going along with him in this thread. Hes laughing at you all...

Hes a sarcastic little bastiche, and hes probably high when writing all this bullshit, thats why he so calm hes damn near comatose. The only person who hypes strange is him, everyone else coudlnt give a rats ass about him, hell all the feats they use, were given to them by LP.

Hes like a crooked cop who sells u seized guns, then gets a search warrant and hits your house, taking them all back and putting u under arrrest. But keeping the money.
evil face

long pig
He MIGHT could. I can't say 100%.

He went over IB's head while IB was attacking him. No prep was involved. He didn't know who IB was, he just sensed his weakness. Another one of his billions of powers that gets used four or five times and is forgotten.

Alfheim
He MIGHT could. I can't say 100%.

He went over IB's head while IB was attacking him. No prep was involved. He didn't know who IB was, he just sensed his weakness. Another one of his billions of powers that gets used four or five times and is forgotten.

Well no wonder people do DS vs Galactus. So really its not that DS cant beat Galactus your worried of a DS backlash. Anyway I got no beef with DS, I got beef with Thanos cos he beat The Elders.

inamilist
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6447/01ug8.th.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8169/03jl0.th.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/528/04fj8.th.jpg

shifty

Alfheim
Hey wait a minute....Kam is right you're ****ing with us aren't you?

long pig
Originally posted by inamilist
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6447/01ug8.th.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8169/03jl0.th.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/528/04fj8.th.jpg

shifty
Hehe.

Now, shall I show the fight where Man Thing ISN'T super amped by outside forces and Strange casually one shots him into bye-bye land? Or should you?

Honestly, you can show a comic where Strange is k.o'd by a beer bottle and it'd make no difference simply because he didn't fight to the best of his ability. No time stop, soul rip, banishment, transmutation, teleporting into the sun and so forth is his capabilities. Trying to blast a being that is part of the nexus of all realities with simple blasts....well, isn't.

You aren't suggesting MT has a chance in hell against Strange, are you?

Oh, anf if you're a fan of Man-Thing, then you MUST see this.

Giant Sized Man-Thing baby! BEST NAME EVAR!
http://www.oafe.net/yo/art/ml8_mt5.jpg

King KAM
Hey wait a minute....Kam is right you're ****ing with us aren't you? ya think? erm

Beta Ray Howard
I'm praying to God that I don't have to do this with Beta Ray Bill.

long pig
Originally posted by King KAM
ya think? erm
You fool, you'll ruin everything. For your betrayel I get yer granny's laptop.

TricksterPriest
laughing bumped because one of my first posts on this forum is in this thread. and because it's where I first learned how much of a evil bastich LP is. shifty

Martian_mind
He never gave you back your puppy goo-goo?
Who's been fetching your dreams?

the heartless bastard.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Martian_mind
He never gave you back your puppy goo-goo?
Who's been fetching your dreams?

the heartless bastard.

Oh where oh where has our Long Pig gone? Oh where can he be? roll eyes (sarcastic)

LP haunts my dreams with evil images of Macauley Caulkin and Bea Arthur. durink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.