Storm destroys skating rink full of preschoolers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vinny Valentine
lookaround

MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) -- Lines of powerful thunderstorms pelted the South with heavy wind, rain and hail Wednesday, turning a skating rink into a hulk of twisted metal soon after the 31 preschoolers and four adults inside had fled to the only part of the building that turned out to be safe.

One child suffered a broken bone and another a cut to the head. But everyone else emerged unharmed from the crumpled wreck of the Fun Zone Skate Center in Montgomery, Alabama. The facility doubled as a day-care facility.

"I'm amazed that anyone got out of there," said Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright.

Several states were battered by the storms, which unleashed tornadoes and straight-line winds that overturned mobile homes and tractor-trailers, uprooted trees and knocked down power lines. At least one person was killed and several injured. (Watch witnesses describe the storms' fury -- 2:15 Video)

Authorities were unsure whether it was a tornado that hit the skate center about 10:15 a.m.

Jon Slaughter, who owns two nearby businesses, arrived at the skate center with two employees about five minutes after the building was ripped apart.(Watch shocked storm victims -- 1:54 Video)

"What I saw was just utter destruction," Slaughter said. "The children were scared, they were cold and dirty. They were crying and upset, but really they were calmer than I thought they would be."

The manager of the day-care center operating inside the building had made everyone get into the section of the building that survived the high winds.

"She may have saved many of these children's lives," the mayor said.

The damage was so severe some witnesses were in disbelief that everyone inside could have walked out. Two people crawled under the beams and wreckage looking for kids, but everyone already was out.

"I wasn't panicked until I saw the building," said Russell Grant, who showed up to take home his 5-year-old son, Justin, after hearing what had happened.

Wow.

vincent

Bardock42
Woah, what did she do that for?

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by Bardock42
Woah, what did she do that for?

Who know's, Crazy People. lookaround

botankus
I remember going to skating rinks when I was 4 years old and how the wheels attached to my feet allowed me to move 2 inches in any direction before wiping out. How they got a bunch of babies with wheels on their feet to one location is amazing.

Council#13
I thought you were referring this thread ermm

botankus
Originally posted by Council#13

Don't click on that link! It's a link to the OTF! It's a happy birthday thread to someone I've never heard of, and the OTF freaks follow up JM's happy birthday wish with Bardock's What the f**k? smilie.

Please don't ever do that again.

Charmed_Phoebe
Woah, what did she do that for? One day a moderator, next day a destroyer......

PVS
the darkside i sense in her

not even the children are safe

debbiejo
Fire has the same problem.

Does one wash the other out though??? confused

botankus
Originally posted by Council#13

Oh, my God, I finally got your point after 8 hours (not continuous thinking, mind you), and it's actually a good one.

However, unless they were a part of that idiotic OTF thread themselves, I really question how anyone would get the point.

Strangelove
Woah, what did she do that for? You know those Mods, some days they just have to let loose

Kinneary
For a second I thought this was a post about Civil War and I was like "... shouldn't this be in the comic book forum?"

FeceMan
"Storm destroys Lord Urizen's threads."

debbiejo
laughing out loud

True..........

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.