greatest innovator of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

speiderman
I would have to say, Alexander the Great.

Nellinator
Archimedes.

Lord Coal
It depends on what you mean by innovation.

Bardock42
Originally posted by speiderman
I would have to say, Alexander the Great.

...what?

dirkdirden
I have always thought that Galileo was a good innovator in the term thinking out side the box. Also anyone who uses science to put the smack down on religion is cool in my book.

manorastroman
da vinci is pretty untouched as far as conceiving possibility.

Dusty
Unfortunatley, Hitler.

Lord Coal
Originally posted by manorastroman
da vinci is pretty untouched as far as conceiving possibility.

Da Vinci invented the helicopter!

Dusty
no expression

manorastroman
it's true. he drew out the plans for a helicopter, a flamethrower, an automaton, underwater breathing apparatus...the list goes on and on.

Dusty
it's true. he drew out the plans for a helicopter, a flamethrower, an automaton, underwater breathing apparatus...the list goes on and on.

He designed very early prototypes. But they are almost nothing similar to what we have today.

manorastroman
well...he WAS pretty limited. you know, lack of electricity and combustion, etc. no expression

he's still untouched in the area of possibility.

Dusty
well...he WAS pretty limited. you know, lack of electricity and combustion, etc. no expression

That's a given. He deserves much credit.

Lord Coal
The Mona Lisa's shit though. How can that be considered a masterpiece. It's a sulky woman......Big deal......

He really had a great mind, though. As did Archimedes, of course.

Dusty
Originally posted by Lord Coal
The Mona Lisa's shit though. How can that be considered a masterpiece. It's a sulky woman......Big deal......

Well, there are many peculiar things about it. One thing, the background changes drastically behind her back, and the ratio's of her face match that of Da Vinci's. People have always wondered what she's smiling about. Lots of mysteries.

Lord Coal
Yeah, I heard somewhere that she was actually Da Vinci in drag.

I can't say I've really looked at the background, but.......

Anyone know where the original's housed these days? Someone told me it's in Paris, at the Loov (However it's spelt)?

Dusty
Louvre, Paris

Here's a picture:

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/vinci/joconde/joconde.jpg

Storm
Seeing The Mona Lisa left me somewhat unfulfilled.

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by Storm
Seeing The Mona Lisa left me somewhat unfulfilled.
I could fill the unfilled spots eek!

Lord Coal
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
I could fill the unfilled spots eek!

Wrong on so many levels.....

Nellinator
Originally posted by Lord Coal

He really had a great mind, though. As did Archimedes, of course.
Yah, I really like the story of his mirror weapon. That is only if the story is to be believed though... Didn't Archimedes first ultilize some the simple machines we use today?

Lord Coal
Yeah, Archimedes invented the hand pump and things like that.

Storm
Originally posted by Nellinator
Yah, I really like the story of his mirror weapon. That is only if the story is to be believed though... Didn't Archimedes first ultilize some the simple machines we use today?
Quite a few conditions need to be fulfilled in order to make Archimedes' death ray work.

Bardock42
The story of Archimedes Mirror Weapons is most likely just a myth. At least the Mythbusters were unable to reproduce it in any way.

Strangelove
Probably the greatest modern innovator was Thomas Edison.

The lightbulb, and by extension, humanity's use of electricity can be credited to Edison.

Other than that and the phonograph, he didn't really have any inventions of note (he invented the peep hole, that was amusing to me), but that was quite an impact.

Storm
Originally posted by Bardock42
The story of Archimedes Mirror Weapons is most likely just a myth. At least the Mythbusters were unable to reproduce it in any way.
MIT' s 2.009ers could. They concluded that it is possible, but as good as unlikely during a battle.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Rhamnousia/Archimedes.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/Rhamnousia/Archimedes2.jpg

Fire
I agree with Strangelove, Edison is my number one as well.

Altho 'greatest innovator' is too broad imo

Ambience
Madame Currie.
She discovered the element radium, which led to many, many medical advancments. It is used to help treat cancer and is found in a limited amount of products around the world.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.