Soldier gets life in rape of Iraqi girl and killings of family

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vinny Valentine
ORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky (AP) -- A soldier was sentenced Thursday to life in prison with the possibility of parole for conspiring to rape a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and kill her and her family.

Spc. James P. Barker, 23, one of four Fort Campbell soldiers accused in the March 12 rape and killings, pleaded guilty Wednesday and agreed to testify against the others to avoid the death penalty.

Under terms of the plea agreement, Barker will not serve more than 90 years in prison and has the possibility of parole, said Lt. Col. Richard Anderson, the military judge presiding over the court-martial. (Watch Barker's lawyer discuss soldier's feelings about case -- 2:04)

"This court sentences you to be confined for the length of your natural life, with the eligibility of parole," Anderson said.

Barker showed no reaction when the sentence was read.

After the court-martial concluded, Barker went outside to smoke a cigarette. A military bailiff accompanied him.

Barker grinned but made no remarks as reporters passed by.

Military prosecutors declined to comment because three other soldiers have yet to be tried in the case.

Defense attorneys planned to speak to reporters to discuss their reaction to the ruling.

Sgt. Paul E. Cortez, 24, accompanied by his two military attorneys, was the only other accused soldier in the room when the sentence was announced.

Barker had earlier described how he was approached by a fellow soldier with the plan to carry out the rape and killings.

Barker told the military judge he was drinking whiskey purchased from Iraqi soldiers with 21-year-old Army Pvt. Steve Green, who has since been discharged, when Green proposed attacking the family.

"He brought it up to me and asked me what I thought about it," Barker said. "By the time we started changing clothes, it was more or less a nonverbal agreement that we were going to go along with what we were discussing."
'I hated Iraqis'

At one point, the judge asked Barker why he had decided with the other soldiers to commit the rape and murders.

"I hated Iraqis, your honor," Barker said. "They can smile at you, then shoot you in your face without even thinking about it."

Barker described changing clothes, then climbing through backyards as the five soldiers left the checkpoint they had been manning to carry out the attack.

"We went through a chain link fence on the back of the property that had been cut on a previous patrol," he said.

The killings in Mahmoudiya, a village about 20 miles south of Baghdad, were among the worst in a series of alleged attacks on civilians and other abuses by military personnel in Iraq.

Cortez and Pfc. Jesse V. Spielman, 22, members of the 101st Airborne Division along with Barker, have also been charged in the case.

Cortez has deferred entering a plea and Spielman will be arraigned in December. Pfc. Bryan L. Howard, 19, also deferred entering a plea at his arraignment in October.

Green pleaded not guilty last week to civilian charges that included murder and sexual assault.

He was discharged from the Army for a "personality disorder" before the allegations became known, and prosecutors have yet to say if they will pursue the death penalty against him.

Barker described in vivid detail how he raped the 14-year-old girl with Cortez and Green. Green killed the girl, her younger sister and parents, Barker testified.

"Cortez pushed her to the ground. I went towards the top of her and kind of held her hands down while Cortez proceeded to lift her dress up," he said. "Around that time I heard shots coming from a room next door."

The defendants are accused of burning the girl's body to conceal the crime.

Howard, Cortez and Spielman could face the death penalty if convicted. Cortez and Spielman are both being held in confinement and Howard is restricted to post.
Attorney: It could happen again

Barker did not name Spielman and Howard as participants in the rape and murders, but said they were at the house when the assault took place and had come knowing what the others intended to do.

The soldiers were stationed in a violent area known as the "Triangle of Death" because of frequent attacks on soldiers patrolling the roads.

Soldiers in Barker's unit were often asked to spend weeks manning remote checkpoints, where several from the unit died.

Barker's attorney, David Sheldon, told reporters during a news conference following the hearing that Barker took responsibility for his actions, but he also said the U.S. Army was to blame for the way the war in Iraq was being fought.

"The United States Army did not ... put enough soldiers on the checkpoints," Sheldon said. "It's very important that the public knows that this type of thing can happen again if the Army doesn't take measures to put enough troops on the front line in the war against terrorism, the war in Iraq."

vincent

Victor Von Doom
There's a News forum now?

~Forever*Alone~
thats disgusting.

did you just post that because a guy named barker was involved?

Robtard
Raping, killing and then burning the body of a 14 year old girl to conceal the evidence and it was all premeditated and still he was given the possibility of parole? Something wrong in that.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Robtard
Raping, killing and then burning the body of a 14 year old girl to conceal the evidence and it was all premeditated and still he was given the possibility of parole? Something wrong in that.

That's military court for ya.

Robtard
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
That's military court for ya.

You would think they'd dish out harsher punishments than civil courts.

Fishy
But they kinda need the soldiers... Killing people because they do things like that will make people want to leave Iraq or whatever... This probably isn't an incident.

Quiero Mota
You would think they'd dish out harsher punishments than civil courts.

Not really. The Service has always been hesitant to punish one of it's own, and typically will only do so because of public pressure.

Robtard
Originally posted by Fishy
But they kinda need the soldiers... Killing people because they do things like that will make people want to leave Iraq or whatever... This probably isn't an incident.

You know, I have a gut feeling the vast majority of U.S. soldiers serving in Iraq would be and are disgusted at these mens criminal actions. So I highly doubt killing these guys would make soldiers want to leave the military as they are criminals.

Ogami Itto
Should have been tried by Iraqi law. Like to see him grin outside the courthouse then

Fishy
You know, I have a gut feeling the vast majority of U.S. soldiers serving in Iraq would be and are disgusted at these mens criminal actions. So I highly doubt killing these guys would make soldiers want to leave the military as they are criminals.

Not the Majority far from it. But a lot of people are joining the US army, apparently Swastika's were found in Iraq, White power signs, Gang members...

Those people aren't nice, and the US obviously lets them into the army. They apparently have a need for them, so it's logical that they would try not to scare those people away.

Robtard
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Not really. The Service has always been hesitant to punish one of it's own, and typically will only do so because of public pressure.

Na, military prisons are full and that isn't because of "public pressure".

Robtard
Not the Majority far from it. But a lot of people are joining the US army, apparently Swastika's were found in Iraq, White power signs, Gang members...

Those people aren't nice, and the US obviously lets them into the army. They apparently have a need for them, so it's logical that they would try not to scare those people away.

WTF? You seriously think racist, rapist and murders or people alright with such actions constitute a large portion of the U.S. military?

Scum exist everywhere and usually, scumbags do not let themselves be known for who they really are and letting a few bad individuals set the example for larger institution with thousands of members is wrong. I'm certain the military would not accept an individual if that person upon enlisting said "I am a rapist".

Fishy
WTF? You seriously think racist, rapist and murders or people alright with such actions constitute a large portion of the U.S. military?

Scum exist everywhere and usually, scumbags do not let themselves be known for who they really are and letting a few bad individuals set the example for larger institution with thousands of members is wrong. I'm certain the military would not accept an individual if that person upon enlisting said "I am a rapist".

No but it was on the news some time ago CNN I believe that they lowered standards, even some guy using military training to shoot people turns out he was in a gang and went to Iraq. Face it the war needs people and the US military is being less strict on who they allow in. And seeing as things like this seem to happen more often then just once it seems that those things also show in Iraq.

Robtard
No but it was on the news some time ago CNN I believe that they lowered standards, even some guy using military training to shoot people turns out he was in a gang and went to Iraq. Face it the war needs people and the US military is being less strict on who they allow in. And seeing as things like this seem to happen more often then just once it seems that those things also show in Iraq.

There's what? 150,000+/- U.S. Troops in Iraq and how many have committed crimes... A small handful by comparison. Less strict as far as criminals... No. If the military knows someone is a criminal, they will refuse admission as it is more costly do deal with the crimes that said person may/will commit than it is beneficial to have one more body in the military.

Bush only sent in 130K troops initially not because that is all he had at his disposal because of shortages, it was for political reasons.

bogen
soldiers havnt changed in the slightest from the middle ages were if you landed in a foreign beach everything was up for grabs, the only thing thats changed is there more descrete about it now

Council#13
It's crap like this that makes the United States look even worse in the eyes of the Middle East. disgust

lord xyz
Why did he rape n murder these people? For enjoyment, or was it something else? Like revenge or love.

Council#13
For enjoyment and because he was a jerk. erm

Strangelove
There needs to be more strict psychological testing for people trying to be in the army

Kinneary
Originally posted by bogen
soldiers havnt changed in the slightest from the middle ages were if you landed in a foreign beach everything was up for grabs, the only thing thats changed is there more descrete about it now
What are you, 16? 17? Go back to high school and leave the war to those with pubic hair.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by bogen

I reckon psychologists would have an interesting view of the wording 'everything is up for grabs'.

Or English academics.

chris_64256
Originally posted by Strangelove
There needs to be more strict psychological testing for people trying to be in the army Agreed... People need to face the fact that alot of the people serving in the army are bottom of the barrel of society or forced into service do to legal problems or just young deliquents sent off to serve at 18 and people wonder why shit like this happens. The sad thing is from alot of other reports alot more rapes have taken place just not to this magnitude which is why you don't hear about them sounds like vietnam all over again, But hey these colors don't run..

Kinneary
Originally posted by chris_64256
Agreed... People need to face the fact that alot of the people serving in the army are bottom of the barrel of society or forced into service do to legal problems or just young deliquents sent off to serve at 18 and people wonder why shit like this happens. The sad thing is from alot of other reports alot more rapes have taken place just not to this magnitude which is why you don't hear about them sounds like vietnam all over again, But hey these colors don't run..
What in the devil is wrong with you? You can't join the military anymore as an alternative to jail, and you have to have virtually no legal problems at all to get in. Before you start spouting off ignorant conclusions, at least make sure you're not ignorant about your facts.

chris_64256
Originally posted by Kinneary
What in the devil is wrong with you? You can't join the military anymore as an alternative to jail, and you have to have virtually no legal problems at all to get in. Before you start spouting off ignorant conclusions, at least make sure you're not ignorant about your facts. You live in Japan right?

Kinneary
Yes.

chris_64256
What in the devil is wrong with you? You can't join the military anymore as an alternative to jail, and you have to have virtually no legal problems at all to get in. Before you start spouting off ignorant conclusions, at least make sure you're not ignorant about your facts. I have relatives who have went through this process no more than 4 years ago as far as I know it holds true. My cousin had a sheet longer than both my arms was sent to juvie then through basic training at 18 and is still serving.. Now unless things have changed in the last four years I stand corrected but as far as the army's process murderers and rapist are not allowed due to the severity of the crimes anything below that they evaluate and make a decision on.

Kinneary
Wrong. You cannot be sentenced to either military or jail time.

Fatima
If this Iraqi girl was awhite girl , I guess the law will become more stright...

He deserve the DEATH ....

chris_64256

Kinneary
And the point of that was?

As I've said in SO MANY topics, do not associate all military personnel with the people you read about in the newspapers. We are just PEOPLE. The same as everyone else. I don't judge civilians by OJ Simpson, and I'd like it very much if you don't judge the military by Mr. Green.

Mišt
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
"I hated Iraqis, your honor," Barker said. "They can smile at you, then shoot you in your face without even thinking about it."

Yeah the Iraqis, I wonder why they would shoot you in the face....you can smile at them, then invade their country, topple their government, kill their families, rape their teenage daughters and burn their bodies without even thinking about it.

This pig should die.

Fatima

Mr. Sandman
"Charging military personnel for murder during a war is like giving out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
"Charging military personnel for murder during a war is like giving out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."

Yep.

Robtard
Originally posted by Fatima
If this Iraqi girl was awhite girl , I guess the law will become more stright...

He deserve the DEATH ....

Ugh... Did you read the story? He avoided the Death Penalty by cooperating and turning in the other men who were involved and were the ones who did actual shooting. Those men will most likely receive the death penalty. So stop trying to make this into a "race" issue with your "white girl" comments.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman

Who said that? Because it is a stupid thing to say, there is a world of difference between a soldier shooting and killing another soldier/enemy during a time of war than a soldier raping and murdering a young girl.

Strangelove

Dinestein
War is hell on the country being invaded. Do we really know what happened over there? Was there a CIS investigation? Fingerprints? No. These men were thrown in the brig - guilty no chance. I find that disgusting.

Mr. Sandman
Who said that? Because it is a stupid thing to say, there is a world of difference between a soldier shooting and killing another soldier/enemy during a time of war than a soldier raping and murdering a young girl.

Technically, Michael Herr. The Vietnam Veteran who wrote the narration for Apocalypse Now, which is where the quote is said.

Fishy

As I've said in SO MANY topics, do not associate all military personnel with the people you read about in the newspapers. We are just PEOPLE. The same as everyone else. I don't judge civilians by OJ Simpson, and I'd like it very much if you don't judge the military by Mr. Green.

And that doesn't change the fact that there are bad people in the military, and we should be able to hold the military to higher standards then normal civilians. Nobody here is claiming every soldier is an idiot and a bastard like that, but saying it never happens is as ignorant as saying every soldier does it.

Kinneary
I guess it's a good thing that no one has said that never happens. But you might want to have a talk with those on this forum who think that those in the military are 'bottom of the barrel' who were 'forced into the military.'

As for holding us to a higher standard, trust me, we are strict with ourselves. That doesn't mean that crap like this doesn't happen, however. Nor does it mean everyone in the military is a saint. But when people like chris_64256 or bogen hear about this happening they immediately equate it to all of us. Which is what pisses us off.

amity75
The guys I know who joined the army only did so because they were too stupid to get any other job. I rest my case when I read about incidents like this.

Kinneary
Your case being?

amity75
My case is that it's only the people who can't do anything else who join the army. And your argument being?

Kinneary
I'm not even going to argue with you. I'm just going to say:

Fishy, he is exactly the kind of person I'm talking about.

chris_64256

As I've said in SO MANY topics, do not associate all military personnel with the people you read about in the newspapers. We are just PEOPLE. The same as everyone else. I don't judge civilians by OJ Simpson, and I'd like it very much if you don't judge the military by Mr. Green. I never associated everyone with this guy I pointing out that individuals with criminal records can be and are allowed in through moral waivers its a fact. Especially in these times when they need bodies for this useless war the bar goes down quite a bit just like this Green he had a criminal record with a history of mental problems, drop out etc. You called me a liar for telling you about certain members in my family going through this process just proving the fact. There's also a investigation going on right now with 11 us soliders in the killing of 24 civilians...

amity75
I'm not even going to argue with you. I'm just going to say:

Fishy, he is exactly the kind of person I'm talking about. You need to seriously wake up.

Robtard
Originally posted by amity75
My case is that it's only the people who can't do anything else who join the army. And your argument being?

Before you proceed on making yourself out to be more of an ignorant ass than you have already done... You should know that the military (not only the U.S. military) is full of college educated personal and/or people skilled in a trade. Not everyone joins directly after high school becuase they "can't do anything else".

amity75
Before you proceed on making yourself out to be more of an ignorant ass than you have already done... You should know that the military (not only the U.S. military) is full of college educated personal and/or people skilled in a trade. And where are they? Behind desks, miles away from the action. Come back when you have a valid point.

Robtard
And where are they? Behind desks, miles away from the action. Come back when you have a valid point.

And your point now (since it changed) being that only mindless low-brow grunts serve on the front lines is also incorrect. Which in turn validates my point that educated people and skilled people do join the military to further their careers and goals.

amity75
As long as it doesn't endanger their lives.

Kinneary
Seriously amity, now I'm just confused.

What is the point you're trying to make? Because it seems like you've changed it.

Robtard
Seriously amity, now I'm just confused.

What is the point you're trying to make? Because it seems like you've changed it.

He doesn't really have a point per se, just a bunch of fact-less accusations. And he did change it.

amity75
I'm saying this - If you're educated you join the army to get a nice safe officers job. If you're not educated then you join because there's nothing else you can do. That's the way it works here in the UK.

amity75
He doesn't have point, just a bunch of fact-less accusations. And he did change it. So are you an expert on army life?

Kinneary
I'm an expert on Navy life. Go.

I'm saying this - If you're educated you join the army to get a nice safe officers job. If you're not educated then you join because there's nothing else you can do. That's the way it works here in the UK.
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20051107-113124-8563r.htm

Well, as we're talking about the US military, here's an article you should read. Enlistees (not officers) come from middle class America, where their parents can send them to college.

Robtard
So are you an expert on army life?

No, but it doesn't take an expert to dispell fact-less claims like:

My case is that it's only the people who can't do anything else who join the army.

and then the switch too when that little boat sank:

And where are they? Behind desks, miles away from the action.

amity75
God you so fell for the bait. Get out and live a bit instead of getting your knickers in a twist over a web argument.

Kinneary
I'll take that as "I give up. I know what I said was stupid, and I apologize."

Apology accepted, amity.

amity75
That's Amity75 to you, sonny.

Robtard
God you so fell for the bait. Get out and live a bit instead of getting your knickers in a twist over a web argument.

So you where just spouting off fact-less nonsense to "bait" people into a debate... Yea, we're the ones that need to "get out a bit" roll eyes (sarcastic) ... Sorry to burst your bubble, but I wasn't getting angry and I doubt Kinneary was either, I was amused at your clownish ways.

amity75
Yep, your sock Kinneary.

Robtard
Yep, your sock Kinneary.

Damn, the "sock" attack... How will I ever counter that!?

amity75
Dunno, It's up to you to come up with some lame reason.

Kinneary
Yep, your sock Kinneary.
Are you serious?

Robtard
Dunno, It's up to you to come up with some lame reason.

Well first of all, for me to be Kinneary's "sock" I would have to had joined the forum after Kinneary, which isn't so. Second, besides Kinneary and I agreeing on this one post concerning your fact-less views, what grounds do you have to consider that we are one and the same person? "None" would be the answer, so using your rational, anyone who happens to agree on this forum is then a "sock". But please proceed on making more of an ass out of yourself.

Whisper
Can see mr Amitys point, most of the guys I know who joined the Army are buttheads. And the army seem to target the nutjobs for recruitment.

Robtard
Originally posted by Whisper
Can see mr Amitys point, most of the guys I know who joined the Army are buttheads. And the army seem to target the nutjobs for recruitment.

How many (total) guys do you know that joined the military and out of those, how many are "buttheads"?

As far as the army targeting "nutjobs", you do realize the military actually targets people with higher educations and or skills/trades right? That is why they offer higher incentives for people with college/trades skills under their belt.

Whisper
How many (total) guys do you know that joined the military and out of those, how many are "buttheads"?

As far as the army targeting "nutjobs", you do realize the military actually targets people with higher educations and or skills/trades right? That is why they offer higher incentives for people with college/trades skills under their belt.
OK, Here goes, I know 6 guys who joined the army:
1) David Pierce, a total mental case who brought his dead rabbit to school in a tupperware box.
2) Ronald Schiavo, a guy who once got suspended from school for taking his belt buckle along the side of his history teachers car "Just because".
3) My friends cousin, who shall remain nameless but who once, literally, entered a dog at a local dog show.
4) Anthony George, a guy I knew who once stabbed a guy in the leg because he interupted him when he was trying to count up to "24 bzillion"'.
5) Laura Knorr - A girl I knew, she had a moustache aged 12.
6) Peter Lawrence, a guy who once took a dump out his bedroom window onto a Jehovas Witness who was at his door because he "Must have ate a ton" that day.
I think I rest my case.

Imperial_Samura

That makes no sense... so your average American soldier would be tempted to quite his job because another soldier guilty of murder and rape is being punished for his crimes?

For some reason I think American soldiers are a bit better then that. I'd like to think they would not only expect, but accept a person being punished for such a heinous crime, not get up in arms and cry "I am leaving Iraq because Ex-Soldier Bob is being punished for a brutal crime."

Ummm.... am I missing something? Isn't that what you are meant to do at a Dog Show? I mean if he had entered a cat or a horse, but it is a dog show.

Hmmm, damning. Unattractive or hormonally imbalanced people, well, they have to be "nutjobs" right?

PVS

3) My friends cousin, who shall remain nameless but who once, literally, entered a dog at a local dog show.

Originally posted by Imperial_Samura

Ummm.... am I missing something? Isn't that what you are meant to do at a Dog Show? I mean if he had entered a cat or a horse, but it is a dog show.

no no, i believe she means another type of "entered" sick

Kinneary
I give up.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by PVS
no no, i believe she means another type of "entered" sick

Ah..... dear me. Isn't that a crime? Wouldn't he have been charged if it had been true, or is this just the case of his claims Whisper? Or were you actually there to see it?

Robtard
1) David Pierce, a total mental case who brought his dead rabbit to school in a tupperware box.
2) Ronald Schiavo, a guy who once got suspended from school for taking his belt buckle along the side of his history teachers car "Just because".
4) Anthony George, a guy I knew who once stabbed a guy in the leg because he interupted him when he was trying to count up to "24 bzillion"'.
6) Peter Lawrence, a guy who once took a dump out his bedroom window onto a Jehovas Witness who was at his door because he "Must have ate a ton" that day.
I think I rest my case.

Six! So these six "nutjobs" lead you to believe that the military actively looks for and recruits "nutjobs" and that these "nutjobs" are what the military is primarily composed of?

1) Maybe he had an Elmer Fudd complex? I wouldn't necessarily call him a "nutjob" just for this though.
2) Any relation to Terri? Anyhow, I wouldn't label a kid who committed vandalism a "nutjob", just a disgruntled @sshole.
3) Huh? This needs further clarification...
4) Okay, he could possibly be a "nutjob"
5) Was she of Greek or Persian descent? Either way, not a chase in labeling someone a "nutjob".
6) This guy sounds normal to me, if I had a bunch of people trying to impose their religious beliefs onto me and doing it on my very own property; I'd want to take a dump on them too. Tell Peter I salute him!

Victor Von Doom
I think I rest my case.

I can only assume those are fabricated for the purposes of humour and/or point proving.

PVS
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I can only assume those are fabricated for the purposes of humour and/or point proving.

or just useless anecdotal evidence

Mr. Sandman

3) Huh? This needs further clarification...

Beastiality.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.