Jack Sparrow's past revisited

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ladyofthesilent
Some time ago, I wrote an essay on Jack Sparrow's backstory which I think has been posted to this community as well. For everyone who hasn't read it, you can find it here:

http://ladyofthesilent.livejournal.com/4845.html#cutid1

Now, after further research and going through all the posts TnT have made on the subject at wordplayer, I came across some rather interesting things I want to share with you:

1. Bootstrap Bill

Apparently, the Bootstrap action figure says on its back that Bill served on the Black Pearl AND the Wicked Wench. So this opens up a lot of new possibilities. First of all, Bill told Will that he left England to go pirating while Will himself always thought that his father served on a merchant vessel. So maybe Bill actually did lie to his son, possibly to protect Jack whom he seems to look upon as a friend. If this theory proves to be true, Bill as well as Jack started out as merchant sailors and became pirates after Jack "failed to complete an assignment" for Beckett and was subsequently branded a pirate.

Now this would provide an interesting conflict for AWE; just imagine Will discovering that his father followed Jack into piracy. We know he and Jack are not on good terms since DMC, but this would definitely deepen Will's anger and hate.

(BTW, Terry said that in his opinion, Jack sent Will to the Dutchman to reunite father and son)

2. Jack's strange behaviour is obviously a role he decided to switch into at some point in his life. TnT said that he wants people to believe he went mad while he was left to die on the island for the first time.

3. Former love interests

While it's obvious Jack and Tia were lovers, we do not know of any close attachments male or female in his past. However, in one of the special features on the DVD, we learn that Jack is loathe to take off a ring he wears on the finger you normally wear your wedding ring on. He takes the ring off when he steals the ring in Tia's shack but doesn't seem to be happy with that and puts it back on.
According to the feature, he got the ring in Singapore; interestingly, TnT said that the place as far as possible from Elizabeth would be Singapore for Jack.

(I have also wondered about the dress Barbossa makes Elizabeth wear in CotBP; we never learn where he got it from, but do you think it's possible it belonged to someone attached to Jack rather than Barbossa? I never really considered this possibility, but now I wonder whether Jack was/is married.)

4. Tia's necklace

I think everyone here is familiar with the necklace we see in Tia's shack. Now this necklace also features in the online game you can play on the DMC website - you can find it hanging around Jack's neck. The game says the following about the necklace:

Antique (heart) Necklace -- "Rumor has it that it once belonged to a Spanish heiress. It certainly speaks of a mysterious bond, a long-lost love (or thievery, perhaps?).

All right, the "mysterious bond and the long lost love" probably refer to Davy and Calypso, but what about the Spanish heiress and thievery? I also wonder why in the game, Jack wears the necklace (Tia's shack was also in the game, so why didn't they put it there?). I'm rambling now, but do you think it's possible that the Spanish heiress is actually Jack's mother? Johnny Depp certainly doesn't look very British so I think it's possible they gave him Spanish origins on the side of his mother. Maybe his father, who obviously is a pirate, stole the necklace (hence "thievery"wink and gave it to the Spanish heiress who gave it to her son (who gave it back to Tia?).

If Jack's mother was a Spanish heiress, this would also explain why he appears to be an educated man and started out as a merchant sailor rather than a pirate.

LovelyOne
very interesting!! thanks for posting

also with your point 2..notice how its only Elizabeth he tells the truth to about how he got off the island?

ALSO wanting people to believe he went mad after being left on the island the first time..thats interesting...

PirateDiva
Ya....he seems to TRUST Elizabeth more than anyone!! Not even GIBBS gets that much honesty!!!!

Mistypirate
Thankyou LadyofSilent that was a good essay smile

ladyofthesilent
Originally posted by LovelyOne
very interesting!! thanks for posting

also with your point 2..notice how its only Elizabeth he tells the truth to about how he got off the island?

ALSO wanting people to believe he went mad after being left on the island the first time..thats interesting...

What happens on the island in CotBP, especially in the extended version is, IMHO, pretty telling when it comes to the question who Jack Sparrow really is. Obviously, he's shaken quite deeply by the fact he's been left there again - with or without Elizabeth. It was probably not a nice experience for the first time, it probably scared the hell out of him and I don't doubt that he considered using the one shot in his pistol for what it was intended. He is pretty upset when Elizabeth seems to think it was some kind of fun-experience for him back then.

Most people read the "no truth at all" line as Jack showing Elizabeth that not everything she's heard about him is a lie and that his legend is alive, so to speak. I agree to disagree here. His scars are NOT part of his legend and they are NOT part of what he wants people to see - Captain Jack Sparrow is practically unbreakable and obviously larger than life. These scars, however, show that he's only human and that he had his weak moments.

So I think it's also possible to read the "no truth at all"-line as Jack admitting to Elizabeth that he's not really what he wants people to believe he is. Notice that Elizabeth asks "Is there any truth to the other stories?" and when he subsequently shows her the scars backs away in shock. Quite obviously, the "other stories" didn't have anything to do with Jack getting injured ...

When with Elizabeth, Jack indeed has moments in which he behaves almost "normally" and rather vulnerable. His face when she tells him she has faith in him (in the curiosity scene) is pretty telling as well because it actually shows how much he wants to be a good man for her, though he already knows he'll betray her again. He looks really sad and really honest in that scene - I wonder whether Elizabeth recognized that. (BTW, if you can't remember his expression in that scene, here's a screenshot: http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=357&pos=286 )

Elizabeth's way to trick Jack into staying with his ship at the end of DMC is further proof that she is the only one who knows that Jack has his weak moments - and she abused one of them to kill him. She wouldn't have been able to distract Barbossa (and maybe not even Will) with a simple kiss, but Jack really longed for human contact and comfort which Elizabeth, who reads him particularly well, sensed and exploited. Still, I think that part of the kiss was all feeling and passion, she wanted to kiss him and she was shocked by HOW MUCH she wanted it ...
The kiss can't be brushed aside so easily and though I think that Jack is indeed hurt by her cold and distant behaviour towards him (because he obviously thought the kiss meant something to her as well), they had to make her treat him like that to keep things interesting. I never thought that there would be a resolution to the triangle until the very end of AWE and the way Liz and Jack treat each other does actually support this theory.

LovelyOne
you know what ladyofthesilent..every word you say makes me feel so sad for Jack.

And thats really interesting about the one shot in his pistol and really hating his experience on the island last time, You've made me think of something

Also in that scene where he looks sad did you see him look down at her lips twice?? lol

Also I agree with you on everything you say...

how do they treat eachother by the end??

LovelyOne
dont you think it just screams out Davy Jones?? If anyone has the potential to become like Davy J in terms of hating his emotions because people constantly run away and leave him without appearing to care..its Jack...

ladyofthesilent
No, I don't think Jack will share Davy's fate; he might consider stabbing the heart (like he does in the leaked script) to become immortal and cure his heartache, but he is still Captain Jack Sparrow, the character everyone loves and wants to see happy.

Now if they wanted to have depressed!Jack out of the way, they wouldn't have killed him in DMC but would have waited until AWE and then given him some kind of tragic but heroic ending - alas, that's not the path they chose. He will be back in AWE and it can be considered as a fact he won't die again. And don't you think becoming the next Davy Jones would be a fate worse than death?

Here's what I think they'll do: Jack will consider stabbing the heart and because of his strange and rather uncharacteristic behaviour, the audience will be lead to believe he'll stab the heart. But I am sure that in the end, something will happen to prevent him from doing it - like, for example Will stabbing the heart and Jack coming to his senses.

Gore Verbinski said that Jack will behave strange in AWE, but that they give him "a little heartache" before he gets too silly - sounds interesting, doesn't it?

willofthewisp
"His face when she tells him she has faith in him (in the curiosity scene) is pretty telling as well because it actually shows how much he wants to be a good man for her, though he already knows he'll betray her again. He looks really sad and really honest in that scene - I wonder whether Elizabeth recognized that."--------lady of the silent

You have a good eye and a very observant, detailed-oriented mind, ladyofthesilent, and I enjoy reading everything you say. I just want to add in something that really supports what you're saying about Jack. It's the next frame.

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=357&pos=287

There might be some sadness on his face at first, but look here. Jack has a pretty sincere smile on his face, and it's not a grin. It's a sincere "I'm happy" smile. He has it, as does Liz. This is a happy, quiet moment for them, even though I'm sure they're both a little nervous about being so close to each other at this point. He does enjoy her thinking he's a good man. He enjoys it a lot, and I think here is when he's starting to go from lusting after a friend to considerating being able to really love her.

ladyofthesilent
Originally posted by willofthewisp

You have a good eye and a very observant, detailed-oriented mind, ladyofthesilent, and I enjoy reading everything you say.

Oh, thank you *blushes*

I agree, he's obviously flattered by Liz calling him a "good man" while she's enjoying his company. They have a truly romantic moment here because there's no lust or calculation involved, it's just about them being together and understanding each other ...
If you watch the whole scene, you can see that his mask pretty much falls apart when she says "I have faith in you". It's only for one or two seconds, but he looks very serious AND sad - certainly not like Captain Jack Sparrow as we know him.

Again, I think we have to learn a lot more about Jack Sparrow's past to understand how he really feels and what he really wants. Apparently, he longs for someone who has actually faith in him - it almost seems like Jack Sparrow has had enough of sailing the seven seas alone with only an undead monkey and a bunch of smelly pirates to talk to ...

I don't know if he will be with Elizabeth in the end, but I think he'll come to realize that he actually missed quite a few important things in his life.

LovelyOne
Oh Ladyofthesilent..I didnt mean he will become the next captain...I just mean whislt Will probably becomes the next captain..Jack is the one who has the potentail to actually mirror the kind of man Davy has become IMO

and whats that about " a little heartake before getting too silly"? sad

I take that to mean Jack's heart aches for a bit then he just goes back to normal and moves on from Liz...

I dont buy that.

Jack mirrors the story of Davy Jones much more than Will does...Davy Jones never stopped loving Calypso. I doubt Liz is as cold as Calypso. She has the potential to love Jack back..

supermanwins
i cant beleive jack got eaten bye the kraken

willofthewisp
"you know what ladyofthesilent..every word you say makes me feel so sad for Jack.

And thats really interesting about the one shot in his pistol and really hating his experience on the island last time, You've made me think of something

Also in that scene where he looks sad did you see him look down at her lips twice?? lol

Also I agree with you on everything you say...

how do they treat eachother by the end??"------------LovelyOne

Using the pictures, I will attempt to say how they are treating one another.

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=357&pos=295
That's definitely going from the deep understanding they've just made to getting turned on by it. This is a little purer than be attracted to someone for looks or reputation or the urge to corrupt them. This looks like wanting to be closer to me.

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=357&pos=300
More baiting, like ladyofthesilent said. Once again, they have a pattern of reverting back to baiting when they think things are getting a "little too real." The look on Liz's face seems kind of fake, and Jack looks like he's resisting.

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=357&pos=303
Uh, this is the face of a guy with a sudden....urge.

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=357&pos=306
Liz is still baiting, seems pretty confident. But look at this next picture.

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=357&pos=308
As soon as he touches her, Jack is the one in control and Liz is liking it. She has a habit of biting off more than she can chew with Jack. He challenges her, and she likes that. But he's the one in the driver's seat now, and it's to his credit he's as tender as he is with someone who was just baiting him.

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=357&pos=309
Okay, I'm really not trying to be a pervert here, but this picture is suggestive when you look at Liz. She's got her head back in almost an ecstatic kind of way, which could be a subtle hint at an orgasm (come on, if Jack can get swallowed by a giant pussy, Liz can have an orgasm) She really, really wants him and wants him to kiss her, to give in to selfish impulse. heh heh heh.

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=357&pos=311
Aw, look how lost they look in each other. You don't see her look that way with Will. I bet they can't see or hear anything else at this moment. They're getting ready to give in. It's been a trying couple of minutes, finding out the one you're sinfully attracted to actually understands you AND appreciates and admires you for it.

http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=357&pos=318
Last one. A moment ruined. I wonder how they would have done it had they not hit land right then. That would have to have been an awkward couple of minutes, especially for people as clutzy as Jack and Liz. Now they don't have a lot of time to think between now and the point when Jack leaves the Pearl, and to be fair, with all that's going on around them, they shouldn't be thinking of their feelings. But it's when he leaves and returns that all their thinking goes back to this scene about curiosity.

mss_mira
amazing willo... that really put things into perspective for me. i've watched the scene many times b4 but i dontthinki ever really saw it u know? and ladyofthesilent, what would we do w/out u?! lol thx mucho<3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.