Biggest Comic book Cop outs?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soljer
Here we post about the biggest comic book cop outs. Where it was so obviously apparent that the writers were trying to play both sides, to appease as many fans as possible.

Examples include the infamous WarHulk/Juggernaut tripping. Juggernaut fans can say that the CELESTIALLY AMPED War Hulk only managed to trip Juggernaut, and Hulk fans can say that the Hulk actually stopped cain.

Wolverine and Deadpool. Deadpool fans can say that Deadpool showed himself to be superior to Wolverine in combat, Wolverine fans can whine that Wolverine's healing factor was on the fritz.

Though, the Shoryuken fight certainly paints a different picture shifty.

Anyways, go ahead and list your own! Give reasons too, if possible!

srankmissingnin
It's hardly a cop out to point out that highly situational battles with all the odds stack in favour of one character over another might not be the most accurate representation to base your opinion on...

Soljer
Don't ***** just because I used Wolverine as an example. I'm just asking about other potential cop-outs, where it does seem that the writers were simply trying to placate two separate groups simultaneously.

Grimm22
In terms of copouts...

One word: Clor laughing

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Grimm22
In terms of copouts...

One word: Clor laughing

You do know that Millar did indeed intend on that being the real Thor, but since JMS wanted to doa revamp sometime in the near future, he wasn't allowed?

willRules
Not leaving Superman dead.
Bringing Jason Todd back.
Not leaving Cyclops dead.
Not Leaving Jean Grey dead.
Not leaving Magneto dead.
Killing off Ben Reilly as opposed to having 2 spideys.
Bring Back Aunt May
Not Leaving Apocalypse dead.
Not Leaving Doc Ock dead.
Letting the female Doc Ock (Carolyn Trainer) fade into nonexistence.
Bringing Elektra back.
Bringing Elektra back again.
Reed Richards defeating a foe with a anti-foe gun of some sort or the team winning because they are a family.
Batman winning because he is Batman.
a hyped up fight scene turning out to be Spidey jumping into Logan's claws because the latter was a more popular character at the time
Hyping up a next issue page to explain that next issue will be one of the Greatest Spidey vs GG fights ever and have a fanboy like me sweating, crying and killing homeless people with excitement, only to have the actual fight itself explained in a long thought bubble in one panel.

And worst of all

Having enough cop outs for a fanboy like me to waste time moaning about a small percentage of them.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Soljer
Don't ***** just because I used Wolverine as an example. I'm just asking about other potential cop-outs, where it does seem that the writers were simply trying to placate two separate groups simultaneously.

Oh, I thought you ment a cop out in terms of the debaters (Because of the examples I associated the thread with the vs. Forum) and not the actual writers.

Grimm22
Originally posted by H. S. 6
You do know that Millar did indeed intend on that being the real Thor, but since JMS wanted to doa revamp sometime in the near future, he wasn't allowed?

Which is exactly why it was a copout no expression

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Grimm22
Which is exactly why it was a copout no expression

I don't know if I would call it a cop-out if there's a legitimate excuse behind it.

And why do you use the "no expression" smilie after everything you say? Just curious.

ThePittman
Pitt Vs Hulk, nuff said wink

grey fox
Originally posted by H. S. 6

It wasn't just a cop-out it was a serious **** up , JMS better work some serious magic within the Thor series or i'm going to be pissed.

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by grey fox
It wasn't just a cop-out it was a serious **** up , JMS better work some serious magic within the Thor series or i'm going to be pissed.

No kidding. Thor's had a legacy of being one of the better Marvel titles out there. JMS better do well.

Anywho, here's a few:

Hulk is the strongest ever. He can beat anyone because he is. Doesn't matter who he's fighting, because he's stronger, and he'll win.

Also, Wolverine vs Anyone. Whenever you bring up a fight about Wolverine losing, there is ALWAYS an excuse for him losing that fight. Here's an example:

Wolveine Fanboy: Wolverine shouldn't have lost. He had a cold that day.

Comic Book Fan: So? If he's such a better combatant than Deadpool/Punisher/Spider-Man/Venom/Hulk then why didn't those skills alone help him score a victory?

Wolverine Fanboy: (insert long tirade about Wolverine being the best)

Moderator: Banned.

Entity
Originally posted by willRules
Not leaving Superman dead.
Bringing Jason Todd back.
Not leaving Cyclops dead.
Not Leaving Jean Grey dead.
Not leaving Magneto dead.
Killing off Ben Reilly as opposed to having 2 spideys.
Bring Back Aunt May
Not Leaving Apocalypse dead.
Not Leaving Doc Ock dead.
Letting the female Doc Ock (Carolyn Trainer) fade into nonexistence.
Bringing Elektra back.
Bringing Elektra back again.
Reed Richards defeating a foe with a anti-foe gun of some sort or the team winning because they are a family.
Batman winning because he is Batman.
a hyped up fight scene turning out to be Spidey jumping into Logan's claws because the latter was a more popular character at the time
Hyping up a next issue page to explain that next issue will be one of the Greatest Spidey vs GG fights ever and have a fanboy like me sweating, crying and killing homeless people with excitement, only to have the actual fight itself explained in a long thought bubble in one panel.

And worst of all

Having enough cop outs for a fanboy like me to waste time moaning about a small percentage of them.

I think he just gave my exact anwser!

NoFate007
DC/Marvel crossover fights.

Howard_Jones
The "Clone" argument is up there too. For those playing the home game, this is what it means:

If such and such is a clone of this character, than this character can win too.

Mindship
Silver Surfer and Superman not fighting in their crossover. CO, if ever there was one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.